Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,834 members, 7,872,805 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3616) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11987167 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3613) (3614) (3615) (3616) (3617) (3618) (3619) ... (16391) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:52am On May 22, 2018
Yes na.. they were invited
MetalJigsaw:
The aforementioned players are in the squad to face Atletico Madrid right?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:54am On May 22, 2018
Martz101:

Argentina are not us and we are not them, why didnt you use other team like brazil and France, moreover Argentina are going with 7 defenders, mascherano plays there for them of recent

It depends on necessities and strength of the team.Chile took 5 defenders to the last WC.

Odion Ighalo is the only natural CF in that team. We may just need another in Simi. We know Iheanacho does not measure up well in 4-5-1. We tried Musa there against Serbia and he was almost missing for 90mins. What if Ighalo get suspended or injured and we have to play a 4-5-1. We may just need another CF in Simi.

If you carry 8 defenders to the WC you may likely not use more than 6 all through the tournament.

Rohr has the final say and may likely go with 8 defenders and drop Simi but I am just looking at it from another angle.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:54am On May 22, 2018
This is the player I always mistake with Tosin Kehinde
tbaba1234:
Mathew Olawale Olosunde (20 years) of Manchester United has been called up to the US national team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:59am On May 22, 2018
Super Eagles Final Training Pre-Atlético Madrid : Kelechi Nwakali, Ikouwem Shine

The Super Eagles had their final training session on Monday evening before a glamour friendly with Europa League winners Atlético de Madrid at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo.

Apart from Roma striker Sadiq Umar who has stayed away from camp, and the reason given is that he is nursing an injury he picked up at NAC Breda, all the invited foreign-based players named to the roster took part in the workout.

Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr did not attend the session; Salisu Yusuf and goalkeeper coaches Pionetti Enrico and Alloy Agu put the players through their paces.

After the usual warm-up and stretching exercises, Yusuf split the squad into two groups for a training game which ended goalless.
Enugu Rangers goalkeeper Femi Thomas, Musa Mohammed, Tosin Omoyele, Usman Mohammed, Chidiebere Nwakali, Stanley Okorom, Dayo Ojo and Adeleye Olamilekan were members of the team wearing orange bibs.

Akwa United goalie Olorunleke Ojo, who was later replaced by Femi Kayode in the second period of the practice game, Kelechi Nwakali,
Austria Vienna's Alhassan Ibrahim, Emem Eduok, Ikouwem Utin and Raphael Ayagwa were among the players that did not wear bibs.
Arsenal midfielder Kelechi Nwakali and Ikouwem, who played on the flank, performed well in the practice game.
Ayagwa would have won the game for the team without bibs but missed a spot kick, the training session lasted for about one and a half hours.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=27833

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 23 days 9 hours 59 mins to go

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:02am On May 22, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Idorankabonga kabaya!!!!!! Kilontobayangakabangakiboko!!!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!! What have we in our hands??!!!! The gods of soccer have blessed us with another left footed bastard of a player!!!!! Chaaiiiii.... Samuel "Messi-robben" Chukwueze.... I see you son! Amuneke saw well oooooo heeeiiiiii...

Another super star will be born in this kid!!!! Chinekeeee!!!! Heeeiiiii..... This is what we have been asking for... More of this please! Villarreal first team straight next season!
Naso Una go dey talk dey add sugar. Iheanacho for your example.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:03am On May 22, 2018
Dalung:

“Nigeria is going to play the friendly with DRC,”

“I ve discussed with the Federal Ministry of Health and with the World Health Organisation, we have reviewed the situation and received adequate information about it.

“We have introduced strict measures to ensure that the match takes place and the match will take place.

“The DRC team is coming through a chartered flight, they will screened from the DRC and they will also be screened here in Nigeria.

“There is going to be no any other person that is going to be admitted using any other means of transportation for the match.”

Source: ScoreNigeria

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:03am On May 22, 2018
Martz101:

Ajiboye will only go to world cup if one of the three keepers is injured
Yes Ajiboye making it is very slim but on level playing ground he is a keeper to beat.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:03am On May 22, 2018
I saw the news several hours ago but just didn't wanna report it. He is the same lad who represented USA (alongside Christian Pulisic) at the 2015 U-17 WC and played against Nigeria having K.Nwakali, Osimhen, Chukwueze, Kingsley Michael and co.

I believe his heart has always been with the USA. As for Tosin... well we all know he has committed to Nigeria already now. wink So biko, no confuse dem again oooo.

Joebie:
This is the player I always mistake with Tosin Kehinde
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:04am On May 22, 2018
Go and watch the clips for yourself. And make sure you are sober oooo... cheesy

MetalJigsaw:
Naso Una go dey talk dey add sugar
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:08am On May 22, 2018
I guess it is no longer news that Osimhen's Wolfsburg survived the relegation playoffs. They won the second leg 1-0 against Holstein and maintains their status in the bundesliga in 2018/2019..
agg score win was 4-1.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:11am On May 22, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
better than Ndidi right? That is not even the issue. Everyone knows that Joel is good. But an injury prone player is never to be relied on.
He is not better than Ndidi.I watched Joel very well this season and compared him to Ndidi should not arise.Ndidi is Nigeria best save for Mikel who have seen it all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:13am On May 22, 2018
Could we see the Nwakali brothers both start against Atletico Madrid? Hmmm... both excelled in the evening session of the team's camp according to reports from CSN and ANS.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 6:53am On May 22, 2018
tbaba1234:
Samuel Chukwueze or should we say Lionel Messi... BALLER!!

http://twitter.com/chukwueze_8/status/998594423536709632
OMG shocked

This guy dey ball!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 7:03am On May 22, 2018
bigomoh:
I couldn't watch this. Is there any other way I can?
I you have Twitter app, search for chukwueze_8. The video is in his pinned tweets

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:06am On May 22, 2018
CaptainStephen:
I am sure his dad doesn't travel with him for Arsenal's games sha. we can only speculate but iwobi snr and jnr knows why they choose to do so.

I have met too many players of parents at football matches particularly if you have access to the players lounge.

In reality it's a more the practice than the exception.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:17am On May 22, 2018
gamaliel9:

KPOM...like a guru here would say....did you see what i saw? We have a gem right before us...he will be SE team mate with Nwakali [he should leave ARSENAL]...Its better to begin small as youth player...knowing from where you are coming..africa with a lot prejudice against you,this partly the reason our players market price is lower..You can count how many Nigerian players that joined first team of big teams straight from Nigerian league..Finidi to Ajax,Taiwo to OM.

When a club knows that you are their own...they put more work to fine tune you...but when you come on loan...phewwww...

Actually it's better as a young player to be in a small club even lower league that plays good quality technical football. The biggest word in football is OPPORTUNITY not ability.

In a smaller club you will get opportunity and that will speed up your development. As opposed to playing youth football continously to stagnation. That opportunity will create recognition and forward progression. It's harder to excel in a smaller club although you will get more opportunity.

In a big club surrounded by quality players if given opportunity will make you look pure quality even if you are not. When you leave that big club with the notion that you are exceptional and go to a smaller club you may find yourself struggling. Without that top quality support to complement your game.

I will ask you to consider the case of Ryan Ssegnon 18 years old last week Friday. Plays for Fulham in the Championship but the most expensive left back in English football. Fulham refused an offer for £30 million from Liverpool for him last summer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:26am On May 22, 2018
EmmGee:

why would a coach want a black player if he doesn't want a black player??

I spent a lot if time at Burnley know almost all the coaching staff there.

I also know nearly all the black players and what they say to me in private will never be made public knowledge.

Sean Dyche is not a very nice man.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 7:26am On May 22, 2018
komekn:

I have met too many players of parents at football matches particularly if you have access to the players lounge.

In reality it's a more the practice than the exception.
aha so its not something new sef, even the neymers and co have their parents with them.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:29am On May 22, 2018
tbaba1234:
Ola Aina's dad also followed him to Nigeria. Iwobi's and Aina' fathers are actively involved in their children's career.

Nothing wrong with that.

Seyi Ojo
Jordan Ibe

Both parents are thier agents and give them support and advice always as Fathers to sons.

When Zaha was nearly finished off by David Moyes who was there to pick him up, his Dad. Now who is the best winger in the EPL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:41am On May 22, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Go and watch the clips for yourself. And make sure you are sober oooo... cheesy

Abeggi!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 8:19am On May 22, 2018
komekn:

Seyi Ojo
Jordan Ibe

Both parents are thier agents and give them support and advice always as Fathers to sons.

When Zaha was nearly finished off by David Moyes who was there to pick him up, his Dad. Now who is the best winger in the EPL

Zaha has been playing as a striker not a winger over the last maybe 10 games.

Also, when he does play as a winger for palace, he mostly plays on the left, with Townsend on the right.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Leyqute(m): 8:25am On May 22, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

Zaha has been playing as a striker not a winger over the last maybe 10 games.

Also, when he does play as a winger for palace, he mostly plays on the left, with Townsend on the right.

Aha. Boredom grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 8:27am On May 22, 2018
komekn:

I spent a lot if time at Burnley know almost all the coaching staff there.

I also know nearly all the black players and what they say to me in private will never be made public knowledge.

Sean Dyche is not a very nice man.

Off the top of my head the black players at Burnley this year were:

George nkodou, Aaron Lennon and nakhi wells.

Nkodou was a crap loan signing and sent back to spurs

Nakhi was not a first team signing

Aaron Lennon has had a shirt since he transferred, despite suffering a mental illness crisis earlier in the season at Everton.

I admit I’m not an insider, but there are football reasons why the players I mentioned are in the. Team or not

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 8:30am On May 22, 2018
Leyqute:

Aha. Boredom grin

that statement seemed weird, Zaha cannot be the best in a position he generally didn’t play this season

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 8:32am On May 22, 2018
.......................... O Ighalo........

. ............. Iheanacho........ .

..................................................... Mikel
.. ............................Victor moses........ Alex iwobi...
..... ..... Ndidi......

.............. ....Brian idowu....William Troost Ekong.....leon Balogun....shehu Abdullahi,

........ ............. Francis uzoho..

I fancy this formation against croatia, with iwobi dictating play FROM DEEP.., and MIKEL creating the link and ensuring the balance the team needs during transition from midfield to attack..IHEANACHO as a perfect foil for ighalo, providing the support the striker needs..I still think iwobi can kill the Mikel role effectively..but time will tell.
Reckon ndidi might not be passed fit enough to start against CROATIA..but, Hope am wrong cos, we will DEFINITELY MISS his timeless running, TACKLING, AND INTERCEPTIONS as our first game might decide our fate...
So coaches on here, what do you think

[color=#990000][/color]

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Leyqute(m): 8:38am On May 22, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

that statement seemed weird, Zaha cannot be the best in a position he generally didn’t play this season

You tell me.

Plus Sane and Salah probably weren't good enough.

That's why I said you were bored.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 8:42am On May 22, 2018
Leyqute:

You tell me.

Plus Sane and Salah probably weren't good enough.

That's why I said you were bored.

Are we still talking right wingers here?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:43am On May 22, 2018
Humility017:

fit and hale..
not until he is left to play and watch him shake and become an eye sore in the left flank.

Meen.. Are you talking about your LB that played almost all the qualifiers with little or no goals coming from his end of the field?

Anyways he's in camp now and the coach will access and choose who he prefers live and direct.

Rohr is the boss here so nothing we say here will influence any pick.for now he remains the top seed for LB
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Leyqute(m): 8:49am On May 22, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

Are we still talking right wingers here?

He said best winger, not best right winger.

komoekn:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 9:00am On May 22, 2018
Leyqute:

He said best winger, not best right winger.

Oh...I've confused myself grin grin

I thought I read best right winger
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by anandaditi: 9:02am On May 22, 2018
View here HD LED TV models by Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony and many more with latest technology. Experience High definition picture quality with multimedia features. check here 50 inch led tv
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:03am On May 22, 2018
Icon4s:

It depends on necessities and strength of the team.Chile took 5 defenders to the last WC.

Odion Ighalo is the only natural CF in that team. We may just need another in Simi. We know Iheanacho does not measure up well in 4-5-1. We tried Musa there against Serbia and he was almost missing for 90mins. What if Ighalo get suspended or injured and we have to play a 4-5-1. We may just need another CF in Simi.

If you carry 8 defenders to the WC you may likely not use more than 6 all through the tournament.

Rohr has the final say and may likely go with 8 defenders and drop Simi but I am just looking at it from another angle.

I think 8 defenders will be too surplus. 7 should be OK.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3613) (3614) (3615) (3616) (3617) (3618) (3619) ... (16391) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Stillwater10, isan(m), mikhe2(m), elyte89, Napoleon55(m), Giv3n, Psittacus(m), GMBOFASIA and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.