Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,123 members, 7,900,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 02:00 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3800) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12148653 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3797) (3798) (3799) (3800) (3801) (3802) (3803) ... (16458) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jolly94: 7:05pm On May 30, 2018
@Thesupernerd,please I want to ask you something personally. This my email:thomasakor114 @gmail.com.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:06pm On May 30, 2018
And I understand perfectly that fear. Lol...

@first bolded... Well.. I understand the cry. Truth is some may be stunned why I am not among those crying for K.Nwakali despite defending him here. Well it is simple. Timing. His time has not come. His time is post Russia but he is indeed the bonafide heir to that midfield throne. In Russia, I believe we will be just fine without him. Iwobi can serve as the Mikel deputy. Our team can also try to switch to the Poland approach where we stood compact and disciplined and utilised the strengths of our wingers like Victor moses. I think we will be fine. I know injury is part of the game and we cannot control how or when it may strike but I believe Rohr has a plan without Mikel. All cards are not shown going into a big tournament like this.

@second bolded... Hahahahahahahahaha.... I have seen the argument when I read a couple of pages back. Well... I was not here shaa. Abeg go relax jare... No shatter your voicebox. You will need it more when we will be screaming Gooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllll for the Super Eagles! cheesy

Mujtahida:

the thing thesupernerd is the way our midfield collapses in the absence of mikel. its worrying. that is what prompted the cry for the inclusion of Nwakali in the team. it is really dangerous cos i should think our opponents are seeing how reliant we are on Mikel.

on the bolded i have argued the point here and my voice is going hoarse.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:06pm On May 30, 2018
AIG07:
you get the gist jare. I'LL be suprised if Rohr starts Onazi ahead of this guy. Ogu brings some kind of calmness to the midfield and his passes are spot on... I hope Ndidi comes back strong and get back in shape for our match against Czech

You will be surprised if Rohr plays Onazi ahead of Ogu?

It should be the other way round bro.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:07pm On May 30, 2018
Okay sir. Send me a mail. A PM.

jolly94:
@Thesupernerd,please I want to ask you something personally. This my email:thomasakor114 @gmail.com.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 30, 2018
Ndidi's going to play
komekn:
We have a very crucial game on Saturday and for me it will be true test of how far we have come and how prepared we are.

The English players are going to be very competitive and will play the game at a considerably fast pace.

This is where Ighalo and more relevantly Simi will be tested. Can Simi replicate his physicality to such great effect in the Seria A against EPL players from England. I have speculated a 4-4-2 formation if things get tough with Ighalo and Simi essentially bullying thier way to goals.

I can see the teenage Alexander playing to nullify the speed of Musa. Musa will need to play intelligent football and not just rely on sheer pace. And if Alex doesn't play we still have Rose and Walker to deal with. Sadly Moses Simon, so Etebo must bring some real gra gra power football.

Like to see a mobile midfield with Mikel pulling all the strings, his input will determine to a large extent who will win this match.

Winning is important but not essential, putting in a composed disciplined and inventive performance much more vital.

Concerns Echiejile slow and could be easily over run I prefer a midfield of Ndidi and Onazi not Ogu. I see this as a game Ogu can be left behind because he is simply too slow and lacks good recovery.

I use to feel that England lacked flair and inventive unpredictable guile in midfield. That's not the case anymore Rueben Loftus is a beast in midfield and our prodigal son Dele has a lot to offer skill wise.

Onazi and Ndidi will have to be on top if thier games.

Vic Moses is for me our Ace he brings it all to the game, pace, power, skill, speed and unpredictability. I expect him to score.

Iwobi will have to work hard and I don't expect him to start. He will have to be at his best to influence the game.

Our defenders will be dealing with an on fire Harry Kane. Our midfield has to stop any supply to him. So closing down and pressing as a unit from the front Liverpool style against Real, KEY to success. It's going to be hard fitness is a major issue.

My heart wants Nigeria to win but my objectivity says unlikely. Been waiting for decades for this game. So I am extremely excited.

On the selfish side some of our players if they put in a good outstanding display. Will have played themselves into a lucrative EPL contract.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:09pm On May 30, 2018
Why is your voice going hoarse? With prerequisite experience and if he could cut out a few excesses in his game, Alex Iwobi can actually play that role better than Mikel. He's the closest thing to a natural playmaker we have in that team. Instead of Mikel 2.0, I will call him Jay Jay 2.0

O pari

Mujtahida:

the thing thesupernerd is the way our midfield collapses in the absence of mikel. its worrying. that is what prompted the cry for the inclusion of Nwakali in the team. it is really dangerous cos i should think our opponents are seeing how reliant we are on Mikel.

on the bolded i have argued the point here and my voice is going hoarse.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:09pm On May 30, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Iwobi is never a winger and dont what they put him there for , even, he still struggle as a AM because his ball holding ability is not up to per. I guess he is more interested in sampling English punanas...smh

When Mikel is in the team and playing the AM position where do you prefer Iwobi to be?

On the wings or on the bench?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 7:13pm On May 30, 2018
Kog45:
United States based man spend this $$$

I cant spend that much on a jersey, not kidding.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:13pm On May 30, 2018
Icon79:
Why is your voice going hoarse? With prerequisite experience and if he could cut out a few excesses in his game, Alex Iwobi can actually play that role better than Mikel. He's the closest thing to a natural playmaker we have in that team. Instead of Mikel 2.0, I will call him Jay Jay 2.0

O pari

thank you. i thought i was the only one who saw that iwobi is not effective on the wings. i see now that others too are looking beyond him merely playing on the wings and are looking for EFFECTIVENESS.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:21pm On May 30, 2018
KK50:

I have to quote you so i,ll have to remind you when the time comes.

Perilous times are upon your flappy birds sir. Be very afraid.

So which one are you? Jealous Ghanian? Disgruntled Zambian? Cynical southafrican?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:21pm On May 30, 2018
goldfish80:

Iwobi came into limelight playing on the left wing against Barcelona. He was mustard in that game and in the final games of that season. He can make the wing his own just like Nasri did. He doesn't have the balance in his game to sustain play in the midfielder for now, in my opinion.
access him on the wings for the SE. how effective has he been
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:25pm On May 30, 2018
Nah, putting him on the wings is a waste of talent and creativity. Iwobi excels in playing within tight spaces, giving short & long range passes, and releasing the strikers to finish play - that is, providing the final pass. That's his best role in the game. He doesn't have the speed to excel as a wing forward.

O pari

Mujtahida:

thank you. i thought i was the only one who saw that iwobi is not effective on the wings. i see now that others too are looking beyond him merely playing on the wings and are looking for EFFECTIVENESS.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 7:27pm On May 30, 2018
Icon4s:

When Mikel is in the team and playing the AM position where do you prefer Iwobi to be?

On the wings or on the bench?

On the bench but due to shortage of natural wingers I will play him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:27pm On May 30, 2018
OMANBALA1:

I cant spend that much on a jersey, not kidding.
I understand just joking
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:30pm On May 30, 2018
Ah e don tey I take afternoon nap. Just woke up. Hmmmm I’m hoping for the best. That’s all I can say. They need to play good football o. This boys — the 23 — are not new to themselves at all. I want to see that “unity” on the pitch as well. We can achieve great things I believe. Rohr has no excuses at all. I want to see him remain as coach after Russia. He needs to help his case. Wings of African Pride... leggoooo

Mujtahida:

people dont know what competition is, what national pride can do to turn a herd of sheep into a pride of Lions. let them continue with their naysay. As for me my expectations are very robust. if they fail, i will accept it just as in 1998, 2002, 2010 and 2014. i only just ask that they play good manly football. i dont want to see wimps on the pitch
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:30pm On May 30, 2018
Truidstar:

So which one are you? Jealous Ghanian? Disgruntled Zambian? Cynical southafrican?
Pls why are you giving this guy undeserved attention.

Truidstar let's talk eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:30pm On May 30, 2018
Icon79:
Nah, putting him on the wings is a waste of talent and creativity. Iwobi excels in playing within tight spaces, giving short & long range passes, and releasing the strikers to finish play - that is, providing the final pass. That's his best role in the game. He doesn't have the speed to excel as a wing forward.

O pari

He himself said he prefers to play as a SS or false 9 or 10.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:32pm On May 30, 2018
Been nice checking in again on you awesome gents and lovely ladies (most of them in Ghostmode/silent mode as na only Lady Safarigirl dey talk... But I saw two or so comments from Madam Confun too and then two or more from a certain Nextlevel2222- yep she is female too... Lol... Bia all of una must chook mouth for this WC journey ooo when June 16 reach ooo lol). wink

I have to roll out now again. Your man is still "hooked"...

So catch you all again... And very soon too. wink

By now, The Super Eagles should be in London... Keep flying with the Eagles everybody... #SoarSuperEagles

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:33pm On May 30, 2018
Bingo! You see, some of us have actually played this game and actually do understand how the game is played. Hence, all the comments/analysis on NL are NOT created equal grin

O pari

Mujtahida:

He himself said he prefers to play as a SS or false 9 or 10.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:36pm On May 30, 2018
OMANBALA1:

On the bench but due to shortage of natural wingers I will play him
Let me make it "due to shortage of quality natural wingers".
That's all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:37pm On May 30, 2018
Joebie:
Ah e don tey I take afternoon nap. Just woke up. Hmmmm I’m hoping for the best. That’s all I can say. They need to play good football o. This boys — the 23 — are not new to themselves at all. I want to see that “unity” on the pitch as well. We can achieve great things I believe. Rohr has no excuses at all. I want to see him remain as coach after Russia. He needs to help his case. Wings of African Pride... leggoooo

as for support i dey dem back gidigba. we must send positive vibes to the team. thats why i dont like naysayers. yes, the team is average or even below average but assuming you are a coach so all you'd do is to remind your boys on the eve of the world cup that they are average? good coaches will always make you believe you are better than you are. its a mental thing.
An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great.

i repeat its a mental thing

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:39pm On May 30, 2018
Mujtahida:

hahahaha sir icon4s why do we read so superficially. i am not his attorney. supernerd has done what i have said should be done. if you cannot answer the young man shun his post but if you want to answer him then do with facts. i consider it low of you to join the bandwagon of those who see the position i have taken as a support of forgiveness. soon una go say forgiveness, me and komekn na same person.

i am not surprised though. there was a time somebody said he doesnt want obafemi martins because he plays in china. i said but ighalo and martins play in china naw(meaning to show the person thst the basis for his assertion is faulty). next thing i was called a martins supporter. you should go deeper than the superficialities that prevails here.

one person says that 35 man list containing nwakali's name is sign of corruption. another person says you are neoptistic thats why yousee nepotism everywhere. i say bro, counter his charge of nepotism not just accuse him of nepotism. counter his interpretation of the facts with your own facts. realpoacher did it,supernerd did it. but its now easy to say i am forgiveness' attorney because he is the designated black sheep bof the thread. you know what? if you say so i agree i am his attorney.na my work (in real life we even defend as a matter of obligation thieves and scoundrels and knaves abi you no dey see criminals with lawyers for court?)

as a measure of my support for forgiveness please tell me what i think about the nwakali being in the 35 man list and about the exclusipn of kayode. shebi those are the things you guys berate forgiveness for. tell me what are my views on this two players

You are the one reading superficial meanings.

Believe what you believe. Leave me to my believes. We know ourselves here and what each person is capable of.

I am done on this issue please.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 7:39pm On May 30, 2018
komekn:
We have a very crucial game on Saturday and for me it will be true test of how far we have come and how prepared we are.

The English players are going to be very competitive and will play the game at a considerably fast pace.

This is where Ighalo and more relevantly Simi will be tested. Can Simi replicate his physicality to such great effect in the Seria A against EPL players from England. I have speculated a 4-4-2 formation if things get tough with Ighalo and Simi essentially bullying thier way to goals.

I can see the teenage Alexander playing to nullify the speed of Musa. Musa will need to play intelligent football and not just rely on sheer pace. And if Alex doesn't play we still have Rose and Walker to deal with. Sadly Moses Simon, so Etebo must bring some real gra gra power football.

Like to see a mobile midfield with Mikel pulling all the strings, his input will determine to a large extent who will win this match.

Winning is important but not essential, putting in a composed disciplined and inventive performance much more vital.

Concerns Echiejile slow and could be easily over run I prefer a midfield of Ndidi and Onazi not Ogu. I see this as a game Ogu can be left behind because he is simply too slow and lacks good recovery.

I use to feel that England lacked flair and inventive unpredictable guile in midfield. That's not the case anymore Rueben Loftus is a beast in midfield and our prodigal son Dele has a lot to offer skill wise.

Onazi and Ndidi will have to be on top if thier games.

Vic Moses is for me our Ace he brings it all to the game, pace, power, skill, speed and unpredictability. I expect him to score.

Iwobi will have to work hard and I don't expect him to start. He will have to be at his best to influence the game.

Our defenders will be dealing with an on fire Harry Kane. Our midfield has to stop any supply to him. So closing down and pressing as a unit from the front Liverpool style against Real, KEY to success. It's going to be hard fitness is a major issue.

My heart wants Nigeria to win but my objectivity says unlikely. Been waiting for decades for this game. So I am extremely excited.

On the selfish side some of our players if they put in a good outstanding display. Will have played themselves into a lucrative EPL contract.

Good analysis.

@bolded, same here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 7:42pm On May 30, 2018
Like joke like joke, Moses Simon might eventually make it to Russia at the expense of Simmy Nwankwo. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:43pm On May 30, 2018
Icon79:

O pari

So where do you put him when Mikel is in the team and playing the AM role?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:44pm On May 30, 2018
Another Liquor night this Friday. Anybody in V.I?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:44pm On May 30, 2018
Icon4s:

Sir, I understand that Onazi is a core member of this team.
But he is loosing his touch and fast becoming the shadow of his old self.

Dude looks overweight and does not look like someone ready to lay claim to his starting shirt anytime soon.

So for now. I'll rather/prefer to pair Ogu and Ndidi as our double pivot In a 4-2-3-1 formation than having Onazi and Ndidi's partnership.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:46pm On May 30, 2018
AIG07:
Sir, I understand that Onazi is a core member of this team.
But he is loosing his touch and fast becoming the shadow of his old self.

Dude looks overweight and does not look like someone ready to lay claim to his starting shirt anytime soon.

So for now. I'll rather/prefer to pair Ogu and Ndidi as our double pivot In a 4-2-3-1 formation than having Onazi and Ndidi's partnership.

That is you and not Rohr.

Onazi is a starter in Rohr's team. So how can it be a surprise if Onazi starts ahead of Ogu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:47pm On May 30, 2018
Icon4s:

Bro, how about some beer this Friday in #LiquorNight? I owe u some drinks rememeber
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:47pm On May 30, 2018
On the bench grin

But this one Simeon Moses isn't gonna be available, we might not have too many options; hence, I can see him playing that wing role in Russia.

O pari

Icon4s:

So where do you put him when Mikel is in the team and playing the AM role?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:49pm On May 30, 2018
Icon4s:

You are the one reading superficial meanings.

Believe what you believe. Leave me to my believes. We know ourselves here and what each person is capable of.

I am done on this issue please.
in the first place i never impugned your beliefs, you got into the issue casting unfounded aspersions on me and that was needless cos i will ask you again: what are my views on the exclusion of kayode and the inclusion of Nwakali in the 35 man list? i do not expect an answer but for the record let me say it that it was low of you to make that statement. i got to tell you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 7:49pm On May 30, 2018
Moses, Mikel, Iwobi, Ndidi and Iheanacho in that order are the players we are relying on in this tournament.

Mikel hardly has a bad game in SE jersey.

I'm just hoping the other teams don't capitalize on other average and below average players we have

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3797) (3798) (3799) (3800) (3801) (3802) (3803) ... (16458) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kennysville(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.