Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,732 members, 7,875,839 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:56 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4470) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12000633 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4467) (4468) (4469) (4470) (4471) (4472) (4473) ... (16398) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:20pm On Jul 29, 2018
U said people prefer him to simmy prior to the world cup but simmy was the right option and also he is not better than Tammy in anyway
ChrisKels:

The post u quoted is raving the boy because of his last season exploits which made me ask for him to be given a chance prior the mundial . Same post clearly said his preseason goal is first of many to come this season. I wonder where u got that line that my fascination with him is borne outta a mere preseason goal. I wanna believe u dont have problems with comprehension,

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 8:54pm On Jul 29, 2018
Osijek 2 vs 1 Hadjuk Split.. AC Millan flop Ezekiel Henty with the first goal for Osijek...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:55pm On Jul 29, 2018
isan:
U said people prefer him to simmy prior to the world cup but simmy was the right option and also he is not better than Tammy in anyway

I was right all along. U have comprehension problems. I said people preferred Simmy to him while I chose him instead. I made my proposition in a subjunctive mode. I am sorry it was too complex for u to understand.

ChrisKels:

Whenever u c me clamoring for a player, just know that I have genuine reasons. I always asked that this boy be given a chance prior to the world cup but ppl kept harping on his Olympics performance. Some even said he was a donkey that falls at every slightest touch. They said they would rather Simmy Nwankwo than the most feared attacker then in the Eredivisie.

I know this is early days, but this is first of many to come.

Tbaba1234 stood by me then sha

In case of next time, the bolded is a subjunctive statement and it means; people preferred Simmy to Sadiq. Not that yeye thing u wrote up there. U came for Chris but ended up making urself a f**l. Better luck next time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:11pm On Jul 29, 2018
ChrisKels:

I was right all along. U have comprehension problems. I said people preferred Simmy to him while I chose him instead. I made my proposition in a subjunctive mode. I am sorry it was too complex for u to understand.

Baba just dey throw soft jibes today grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:35pm On Jul 29, 2018
elyte89:

Baba just dey throw soft jibes today grin grin grin

Man, some peeps in here are damne funny. Dey wanna have a go at Chris for reasons best known to them but I just let them open up themselves and show to us how poor they are up there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:35pm On Jul 29, 2018
Middlesbrough are in talks to buy Liverpool midfielder Sheyi Ojo.

The Sun says Liverpool are in talks with Middlesbrough over a shock £10million switch for young winger Ojo.

The Kop will sell Ojo, 21, for the right price and Boro are keen to land him as they look for someone to fill speedy Adama Traore's boots.

Boss Tony Pulis is keen on the pace of Ojo for his promotion hopefuls and he will have cash to outbid rivals Nottingham Forest and Reading.

Ojo had a poor campaign at Fulham on loan but Boro think he has the speed and ability to be able to replace Traore, thought to be heading for Wolves in an £18m move.

The Reds are ready to cash in on Ojo now.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:39pm On Jul 29, 2018
tbaba1234:
Carl offered a job with the super eagles.

Maybe as one of Alloy Agu's assistants. I don't think he has underdone any coaching training yet.

A good gesture from the Pinnick led NFF

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:02am On Jul 30, 2018
Lokosa’s Brann miss an example of football management gone awry

July 27, 2018Jide Alaka

Junior Lokosa is supposedly the next big thing from the Nigeria Professional Football League [NPFL] but the 19-goal striker, who almost made it to Russia 2018, is currently jet hopping in search for a foreign contract.

In a search that took him on trial to Denmark, the striker failed tellingly, to impress the manager of SK Brann enough to get a contract. The manager said he needs a striker that will make an immediate difference.

Juxtapose that scenario with the transfer of South African international, Percy Tau, who just joined Brighton and Hove Albion from Mamelodi Sundowns for about $4 million.

Both players are strikers but while Tau, who scored 18 league goals over the last two seasons was sold for $4 million to a club in the English Premier League; Danish club, SK Brann, rejected Lokosa, who they were going to buy for just $300,000!

Tau played two full seasons in South Africa’s Premier Soccer League [PSL] and is a confirmed Bafana Bafana player with 12 caps and five goals while Lokosa with 23 goals in 34 appearances for Kano Pillars and boasts just one cap for the Super Eagles.

To put it in greater perspective, Anthony Okpotu, the NPFL’s highest scorer for last season also embarked on a failed junket to Denmark in April to try his luck with Brondby but he was also not signed. Okpotu scored 19 goals for Lobi Stars last season.

In an already published Premium Times analysis, the challenges were enumerated.

What is the value of football in Nigeria?

Adeyemi Adesanya, who talks sports on Radio, believes not knowing the value of the local game continues to ensure that ‘peanuts’ will be the likely earnings.

“Well it’s simple; let’s start from the top; what is the value of the NPFL? No one can tell you; what’s the value of the average NPFL Club? The answer is also not difficult; until there are values attached to this; our players will move for peanuts because they are valueless.

“Also there’s the corrupt practices angle, where sharp practices are rife with the collusion of the FA Staffers. It is a long exhaustive conversation,” Adesanya added.

For Yomi Kuku of Coerver Coaching says Nigerian players will continue to make ‘senseless’ moves because the game is not run as a business in the country.

The need for private ownership

Kuku said, “I think people need to work outside the structure that exists in Nigeria football.

“What I mean by that is private investors in Nigeria should sit down, form association, not necessarily to break way but to be able to help each other to put money to football for the purpose of seeing it as a business because as long as you have club owners as an association and all the company owners are political appointees, it is not going to work.

“If the private owners come together and have people that work with them to develop the technicality of their players, some players are technically good and they play very well, if they won’t allow them to play in NPFL, then go elsewhere, market your players and then sell them to the highest bidders.

“At the end of it, the players can come back and play for Nigeria, because the truth is that the NPFL does not reflect premier league football and its so boring,” he added.

A player agent, Shina Phillips attributes the challenge to the capacity of the players and their agents and the desperation for a quick economic upgrade.

“Your agent determines your goal,” Phillips started. “If the agent is desperate to want to get the commission, he can sell for anything – peanuts. The mindset of some Nigerian agents is getting him started, get your first commission, I mean you are looking at conversion of Euros to Naira…”

Education is the way forward

But he has a solution, one that has to be driven by the Nigeria Football Federation.

“First thing first is there should be proper training from the Federation to those who desire to be agents and those who are agents on how this business is done worldwide. It is an international business so people should be vast in the law of the business they need to know this business so that when they are dealing with clubs out there are not about selling a cheap commodity.

“They must know their leagues, the kind of players they want, what they can accept and when they are negotiating, they are negotiating from an advantageous point.”

This business is about the depth of knowledge and the contacts you have. Those who are fortunate to have these contacts with these clubs should be vast – they should understand the intricacies, they should understand legal angles and then they should have the power to negotiate, most of them don’t know how to negotiate.”

For Kuku, Nigerian players are not well coached from the grassroots and that will continue to affect their value. “If you watch the local league like I have done for the last three years – you will see there is no value in it.

“The quality of football is abysmal. A 90-minute match is about 60 minutes in the NPFL with all the falling down, wasting time, and ballooning of the ball.

“It means there is no coaching, there is not too much of a problem in the league but there is no coaching, the players in the league are not well educated, they don’t know anything.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/sports-features/277996-lokosas-brann-miss-an-example-of-football-management-gone-awry.html

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:03am On Jul 30, 2018
Alhassan Ibrahim had an assist today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:19am On Jul 30, 2018
Who is closer to leave the upcoming gang? Chuba Akpom or Skales?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 1:16am On Jul 30, 2018
ChrisKels:

I will reiterate, and I dont care whatever reason anybody gonna give, Umar Sadiq is heads and shoulders better than Tammy Abraham that we would have mistakenly taken to the world cup just because he is FB.

Dude is immensely talented
Tammy is better than Umar any day of the week

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:38am On Jul 30, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Lokosa’s Brann miss an example of football management gone awry

July 27, 2018Jide Alaka

Junior Lokosa is supposedly the next big thing from the Nigeria Professional Football League [NPFL] but the 19-goal striker, who almost made it to Russia 2018, is currently jet hopping in search for a foreign contract.

In a search that took him on trial to Denmark, the striker failed tellingly, to impress the manager of SK Brann enough to get a contract. The manager said he needs a striker that will make an immediate difference.

Juxtapose that scenario with the transfer of South African international, Percy Tau, who just joined Brighton and Hove Albion from Mamelodi Sundowns for about $4 million.

Both players are strikers but while Tau, who scored 18 league goals over the last two seasons was sold for $4 million to a club in the English Premier League; Danish club, SK Brann, rejected Lokosa, who they were going to buy for just $300,000!

Tau played two full seasons in South Africa’s Premier Soccer League [PSL] and is a confirmed Bafana Bafana player with 12 caps and five goals while Lokosa with 23 goals in 34 appearances for Kano Pillars and boasts just one cap for the Super Eagles.

To put it in greater perspective, Anthony Okpotu, the NPFL’s highest scorer for last season also embarked on a failed junket to Denmark in April to try his luck with Brondby but he was also not signed. Okpotu scored 19 goals for Lobi Stars last season.

In an already published Premium Times analysis, the challenges were enumerated.

What is the value of football in Nigeria?

Adeyemi Adesanya, who talks sports on Radio, believes not knowing the value of the local game continues to ensure that ‘peanuts’ will be the likely earnings.

“Well it’s simple; let’s start from the top; what is the value of the NPFL? No one can tell you; what’s the value of the average NPFL Club? The answer is also not difficult; until there are values attached to this; our players will move for peanuts because they are valueless.

“Also there’s the corrupt practices angle, where sharp practices are rife with the collusion of the FA Staffers. It is a long exhaustive conversation,” Adesanya added.

For Yomi Kuku of Coerver Coaching says Nigerian players will continue to make ‘senseless’ moves because the game is not run as a business in the country.

The need for private ownership

Kuku said, “I think people need to work outside the structure that exists in Nigeria football.

“What I mean by that is private investors in Nigeria should sit down, form association, not necessarily to break way but to be able to help each other to put money to football for the purpose of seeing it as a business because as long as you have club owners as an association and all the company owners are political appointees, it is not going to work.

“If the private owners come together and have people that work with them to develop the technicality of their players, some players are technically good and they play very well, if they won’t allow them to play in NPFL, then go elsewhere, market your players and then sell them to the highest bidders.

“At the end of it, the players can come back and play for Nigeria, because the truth is that the NPFL does not reflect premier league football and its so boring,” he added.

A player agent, Shina Phillips attributes the challenge to the capacity of the players and their agents and the desperation for a quick economic upgrade.

“Your agent determines your goal,” Phillips started. “If the agent is desperate to want to get the commission, he can sell for anything – peanuts. The mindset of some Nigerian agents is getting him started, get your first commission, I mean you are looking at conversion of Euros to Naira…”

Education is the way forward

But he has a solution, one that has to be driven by the Nigeria Football Federation.

“First thing first is there should be proper training from the Federation to those who desire to be agents and those who are agents on how this business is done worldwide. It is an international business so people should be vast in the law of the business they need to know this business so that when they are dealing with clubs out there are not about selling a cheap commodity.

“They must know their leagues, the kind of players they want, what they can accept and when they are negotiating, they are negotiating from an advantageous point.”

This business is about the depth of knowledge and the contacts you have. Those who are fortunate to have these contacts with these clubs should be vast – they should understand the intricacies, they should understand legal angles and then they should have the power to negotiate, most of them don’t know how to negotiate.”

For Kuku, Nigerian players are not well coached from the grassroots and that will continue to affect their value. “If you watch the local league like I have done for the last three years – you will see there is no value in it.

“The quality of football is abysmal. A 90-minute match is about 60 minutes in the NPFL with all the falling down, wasting time, and ballooning of the ball.

“It means there is no coaching, there is not too much of a problem in the league but there is no coaching, the players in the league are not well educated, they don’t know anything.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/sports-features/277996-lokosas-brann-miss-an-example-of-football-management-gone-awry.html

Exactly, what i have been saying..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:39am On Jul 30, 2018

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:09am On Jul 30, 2018
edi287:

Possibly but i do not think, it is that clear cut.

Sadiq Umar is terribly awkward to deal with. I feel he poses more of a danger when service is lacking because the boy will run at any defence. He creates danger. Tammy is a better finisher, i believe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:40am On Jul 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

Exactly, what i have been saying..

Actually it is more in line with what I have always said. Our league is the one lacking quality coaching.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:49am On Jul 30, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Actually it is more in line with what I have always said. Our league is the one lacking quality coaching.

Everything, i have said about the league was corroborated in that post. Even the talk about poor grassroots coaching.

"For Kuku, Nigerian players are not well coached from the grassroots and that will continue to affect their value. “If you watch the local league like I have done for the last three years – you will see there is no value in it."

I have been talking about the poor quality coming out of the league for ages now.

Every thing, i have said here was corroborated by that post.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 7:50am On Jul 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

Sadiq Umar is terribly awkward to deal with. I feel he poses more of a danger when service is lacking because the boy will run at any defence. He creates danger. Tammy is a better finisher, i believe.

If Sadiq received the same coaching like Tammy,he would be miles ahead of him....watching Sadiq you can he is like an unpolished precious metal..that accounts for his awkwardness and clumsiness...Give me a good coach...then between Tammy and Sadiq...i will choose the latter...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:51am On Jul 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

Everything, i have said about the league was corroborated in that post. Even the talk about poor grassroots coaching.

"For Kuku, Nigerian players are not well coached from the grassroots and that will continue to affect their value. “If you watch the local league like I have done for the last three years – you will see there is no value in it."

I have been talking about the poor quality coming out of the league for ages now.

Every thing, i have said here was corroborated by that post.

Those were different people's opinion. Nothing set in stone. But the first post you grabbed was talking about poor coaching in the league something I have been complaining about.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:09am On Jul 30, 2018
U were ranting in your post as if sadiq has done anything special
ChrisKels:

In case of next time, the bolded is a subjunctive statement and it means; people preferred Simmy to Sadiq. Not that yeye thing u wrote up there. U came for Chris but ended up making urself a f**l. Better luck next time.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:12am On Jul 30, 2018
Come back and prove your point when sadiq score 15 goal in that pub league
ChrisKels:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:10am On Jul 30, 2018
edi287:

umar is better than tammy every second of the time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:37am On Jul 30, 2018
maidaboi:
umar is better than tammy every second of the time
Not true. You guys are hating on Tammy for no good reason

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:39am On Jul 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

Tammy is also quicker and better on the ball. His link up play is underrated too. Umar is good but I'd pick Tammy easily.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:45am On Jul 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

I marveled while reading that article.

I see the same thing even in University football. You'd hear the regular blow am! Inside! clear! and am not talking of tense situations in the box I am talking of outer play. So much so these days anyone that tries to play with rhythm is quickly seen as playing "rubbish". The football philosophy in this part is a sight for tired eyes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:01am On Jul 30, 2018
edi287:

Tammy is also quicker and better on the ball. His link up play is underrated too. Umar is good but I'd pick Tammy easily.

Tammy is not quicker than Umar.. You have not watched Umar recently.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:01am On Jul 30, 2018
gamaliel9:

If Sadiq received the same coaching like Tammy,he would be miles ahead of him....watching Sadiq you can he is like an unpolished precious metal..that accounts for his awkwardness and clumsiness...Give me a good coach...then between Tammy and Sadiq...i will choose the latter...

Agreed, Umar is a gem.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:19am On Jul 30, 2018
charlesemeka85:
wolfsburg are interested in signing him. i think its better he moves to the bundesliga

It's not clear cut.

Having a great season in the Championship could give you better progression to the EPL.

However, If he is going to a top team in Bundesliga and I mean top 5 it might be better.

In my opinion Wolfsburg is struggling team at the bottom end of the Bundesliga always courting relegation. A team that would struggle in the Championship and probably end up being relegated.

In this regard a good football side like Derby, West Bromwich, Swansea, Aston Villa, are far better options.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:20am On Jul 30, 2018
edi287:

Agreed without one iota of reservation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:21am On Jul 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

Tammy is not quicker than Umar.. You have not watched Umar recently.

I doubt that.

Obe thing is clear Tega doesn't fall over at the slightest physical confrontation like some with two left feet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:22am On Jul 30, 2018
isan:
Come back and prove your point when sadiq score 15 goal in that pub league

Agreed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:24am On Jul 30, 2018
gamaliel9:

So what has he been doing in Roma, etc all this year's eating Killiche.

Tega Abrahams and Sadiq are not on the same level by a huge margin.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (4467) (4468) (4469) (4470) (4471) (4472) (4473) ... (16398) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kingjite1 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.