Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,525 members, 7,895,192 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 01:30 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4580) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12114452 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4577) (4578) (4579) (4580) (4581) (4582) (4583) ... (16447) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:14pm On Aug 24, 2018
Icon4s:

Huhn, see as i just dey eye this ya New Remote.

Dad... Don't even think about it.... **Hides remote**

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:15pm On Aug 24, 2018
edi287:

Unless I'm missing something, but wasn't Ighalo brought in at half time when we were 1-0 down?? He held the ball better than Nacho. Yes he's not a great finisher like Nacho but he has better hold up play, is far more skillful and is just as mobile or maybe even more.
If you're going to play the likes of Musa and Onyekuru outwide, Ighalo makes even more sense.
We've done this Nacho as a 9 thing against Algeria and SA. It didn't work out.

iheanacho worked against Algeria, the Algerian manager and an Algerian journalist hammered on Nacho's mobility being key to our success. Against South African, Nacho's mobility was there, caused the South Africans problems but due to lack of creativity behind our front line, we did not take advantage of it. That should be a plus but people repeatedly tried to paint his play as a negative which I disagree.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:15pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Papa ehn... You and food..

See them....

''Oya wey that ya remote''? grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:17pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheLoneCitizen:

That's what I'm saying, the squad no has no prima donna in this team any longer. If Joel plays well and the manager feels he needs to go off, he is indispensable. So no more guaranteed right wing for Moses, midfield for Mikel.

This invitation list is the best list plausible at this stage. Proven players and tested. If the testing goes wrong, the coach will recline on the proven and that's the reason for Joel and Onazi's invitation not that he tolerates laziness or lackadaisicalness.

By the way, no matter who the manager calls up, the masses, you and I will never satisfied.
Joel and Onazi are 'proven' players?

Let me leave Onazi out of the discussion because he at least had his moments in the GWG..... What is proven about Joel as far as the national team goes?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:17pm On Aug 24, 2018
Icon4s:

See them....

''Oya wey that ya remote''?

Say what?.. tongue

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:17pm On Aug 24, 2018
safarigirl:
if the man is tagging Kalu a potential successor to Moses, then he may not be trying to convince Moses like the media wants us to believe
it maybe a two way thing...probably he is making reference to kalu being a successor to Moses pending when Moses rescind his decision, or possibly he refuse come back.

anyway I pray the young man live up to expectation, that alone will give enough conviction.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:18pm On Aug 24, 2018
safarigirl:
if the man is tagging Kalu a potential successor to Moses, then he may not be trying to convince Moses like the media wants us to believe
it maybe a two way thing...probably he is making reference to kalu being a successor to Moses pending when Moses rescind his decision, or possibly he refuse come back.

anyway I pray the young man live up to expectation, that alone will give him enough conviction.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:20pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Say what?.. tongue

..think you are smart?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:21pm On Aug 24, 2018
edi287:

Unless I'm missing something, but wasn't Ighalo brought in at half time when we were 1-0 down?? He held the ball better than Nacho. Yes he's not a great finisher like Nacho but he has better hold up play, is far more skillful and is just as mobile or maybe even more.
If you're going to play the likes of Musa and Onyekuru outwide, Ighalo makes even more sense.
We've done this Nacho as a 9 thing against Algeria and SA. It didn't work out.

Onyekuru - Nacho - Musa will make a more mobile, creative and lethal setup than playing Ighalo in the center. I always look at the Forward setup as a unit and we going with mobility, creativity and lethality as the ideal ingredient for it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:22pm On Aug 24, 2018
Icon4s:

..think you are smart?

Well, you mentioned it first so.....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:24pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Onyekuru - Nacho - Musa will make a more mobile, creative and lethal setup than playing Ighalo in the center. I always look at the Forward setup as a unit and we going with mobility, creativity and lethality as the ideal ingredient for it.

In a two man attack in a 3-5-2 I cannot wait to see Nacho-Kayode combo... The energy will be wicked! Or even a Musa-Kayode upfront... Or another three-pronged option of Nacho-Kayode-Onyekuru... Evil awaits!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:25pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Well, you mentioned it first so.....

So what?

Well....let me go and break the firewood I will use in cooking food tomorrow morning.
SuperNerd say because dem dey diss Iheanacho here make I no chop morning food. But e no go work. tongue

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:26pm On Aug 24, 2018
darkelf:

Ighalo didn't solely take the blame for poor performance but he stood out among the rest for mediocrity and for being unfit

Ighalo I know has been poor since the the preparation for the world cup commenced...
he has never impressed me one bit.

I remember his foolish play against Iceland...ball he would have passed to musa he selfishly missed it.
so when he missed that against Argentina I wasn't surprised....he just confirmed how clueless he is in front of goal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:28pm On Aug 24, 2018
I am not calling for specific players, or speaking against any player in particular. I’m saying there has the be a healthy competitive atmosphere. There shouldn’t be loyalty talk in SE. I demand the same from our foreign coaches as our indegeneoua ones.

You talk like you have not been following Rohr’s tradition of invitation. There are guaranteed positions under Rohr. I’m not even speaking about the standout players. I’m speaking about the regulars giving us average performances, as well as those who have their dugout roles on lockdown. It’s crazy.

Modified
The regulars need formidable competition always even if it means bringing new faces to fight to snatch their starting shirts. Even our bench has been made too comfortable. Our bench can be as good as our first 11. We should keep striving for that. I’m glad Echiejile is finally (probably) out.

TheLoneCitizen:

That's what I'm saying, the squad no has no prima donna in this team any longer. If Joel plays well and the manager feels he needs to go off, he is indispensable. So no more guaranteed right wing for Moses, midfield for Mikel.

This invitation list is the best list plausible at this stage. Proven players and ones to be tested. If the testing goes wrong, the coach will recline on the proven and that's the reason for Joel and Onazi's invitation, not that he tolerates laziness or lackadaisicalness.

By the way, no matter who the manager calls up, the masses, you and I will never satisfied.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:28pm On Aug 24, 2018
Humility017:

Ighalo I know has been poor since the the preparation for the world cup commenced...

I remember his foolish play against Iceland...ball he would have passed to musa he selfishly missed it.
so when he missed that against Argentina I wasn't surprised....he just confirmed how clueless he is in front of goal.

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:31pm On Aug 24, 2018
safarigirl:
Joel and Onazi are 'proven' players?

Let me leave Onazi out of the discussion because he at least had his moments in the GWG..... What is proven about Joel as far as the national team goes?

A proven player is a player who a manager has tested and has yielded positive feedback. Fellaini for instance is a woeful player by popular accession. But he is a proven player for Mourinho, yet in one of those matches, he came off the bench and gave a penalty to an opposition two seasons ago. But he is still a proven player in the eyes of Mourinho, so also is Matic. Giroud was a proven player for Wenger, Milner is a proven player for Klopp.

Onazi has been trialed and tested by Rohr and has yielded result, so even when he drops clangers it changes nothing, he remains proven. Although Joel is questionable, though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:33pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

In a two man attack in a 3-5-2 I cannot wait to see Nacho-Kayode combo... The energy will be wicked! Or even a Musa-Kayode upfront... Or another three-pronged option of Nacho-Kayode-Onyekuru... Evil awaits!

I would rather want to see an Iheanacho-Onyekuru combo

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:34pm On Aug 24, 2018
Icon4s:

So what?

Well....let me go and break the firewood I will use in cooking food tomorrow morning.
SuperNerd say because dem dey diss Iheanacho here make I no chop morning food. But e no go work. tongue

But how Nacho take connect to your ability to have morning meal mbok?

And Papa, so you have destroyed that gas cooker and electric cooker I bought for you ehn... You are breaking firewood again? Chaaaiiiii... All these old men sef stuck on old ways... Simple tech you cannot use o kwa ya? Na wa... Papa why?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:37pm On Aug 24, 2018
Icon4s:

All join naa.... All na Wonderful option to exploit... cheesy E go sweet like lemonade...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:39pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheLoneCitizen:

A proven player is a player who a manager has tested and has yielded positive feedback. Fellaini for instance is a woeful player by popular accession. But he is a proven player for Mourinho, yet in one of those matches, he came off the bench and gave a penalty to an opposition two seasons ago. But he is still a proven player in the eyes of Mourinho, so also is Matic. Giroud was a proven player for Wenger, Milner is a proven player for Klopp.

Onazi has been trialed and tested by Rohr and has yielded result, so even when he drops clangers it changes nothing, he remains proven. Although Joel is questionable, though.
that is why I said, let me leave Onazi out.

There is nothing proven about Joel, nothing 'positive' except all his positivity is saved for training only

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:40pm On Aug 24, 2018
Humility017:

Ighalo replies: "Upon all you don yarn now, I was still invited..."

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:46pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

All join naa.... All na Wonderful option to exploit... cheesy E go sweet like lemonade...

But Kayode no dey list why you come dey combine am with Iheanacho? Abi you just want make somebody happy? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:48pm On Aug 24, 2018
OGN had said Ighalo would not be in he list. Abeg leave that website when like to guess. They make up stuffs that are obvious sometimes, attributing it to Rohr. Just like saying Rohr’s decision to leave out Success is because the league has just started and he hasn’t been given enough game time.

charlesemeka85:
Noah Joel Sarenren-Bazee is one name that has been mentioned in connection with the Super Eagles the past one year after pledging his international future to Nigeria ahead of Germany.

Bazee endured an injury hit season last time out and that cost him a spot in the Eagles squad for both the World Cup Qualifiers and the World Cup proper as he didn’t get enough games for German Bundesliga side Hannover 96.

After coming through pre season unscathed, many thought he would finally get the chance to impress in the colours of the Super Eagles in the 2019 African Cup of Nations Qualifiers game against Seychelles.

Earlier today coach Gernot Rohr announced the list of players and once again Bazee was missing from the 24 man list and he didn’t even make the standby list of four players named by the Franco-German coach.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered the decision to omit him from the list was once again due to his fitness battles as he only recently returned from a broken toe picked up in pre season and Rohr decided to leave him out of the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:49pm On Aug 24, 2018
Semi Ajayi reacts to SE Invite

Via Twitter:

“Always dreamt of representing my country at senior level. Honoured to receive my first call up for the Super Eagles today. Thank you God #SuperEagles #NationalTeam #GIG”

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:49pm On Aug 24, 2018
They got the one on Semi Ajayi though.

Joebie:
OGN had said Ighalo would not be in he list. Abeg leave that website when like to guess. They make up stuffs that are obvious sometimes, attributing it to Rohr. Just like saying Rohr’s decision to leave out Success is because the league has just started and he hasn’t been given enough game time.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:50pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Semi Ajayi reacts to SE Invite

Via Twitter:

“Always dreamt of representing my country at senior level. Honoured to receive my first call up for the Super Eagles today. Thank you God #SuperEagles #NationalTeam #GIG”

Sweet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:51pm On Aug 24, 2018
Icon4s:

But Kayode no dey list why you come dey combine am with Iheanacho? Abi you just want make somebody happy? grin

The Future, Dad... I am looking at future gatherings when the whole options are available. Who gives a damn if anyone agrees or not? Not me definitely...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:52pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

In a two man attack I cannot wait to see Nacho-Kayode combo... Or another three-pronged option of Nacho-Kayode-Onyekuru... Evil awaits!

With Samuel Kalu, Onyekuru, Nacho, Musa, Simon Moses, I see Kayode falling down the pecking order. In the not so distant future, I see Onyekuru - Nacho - Success as our lethal setup and Nacho - Success as the ideal pair when we play with two upfront.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:52pm On Aug 24, 2018
Why can’t Onazi be dropped from warming the bench? Granted, we are playing Seychelles, but aren’t we trying to be even a better team post-WC? Doesn’t mean he can’t be invited in future should his replacement perform below expectation.

We don’t need to temper with the core of the team, but we need to keep looking for players that can unsettle their regular status.

safarigirl:
that is why I said, let me leave Onazi out.

There is nothing proven about Joel, nothing 'positive' except all his positivity is saved for training only
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2018
Icon4s:

I think this will be another pair to watch out too. The thought of it looks lethal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2018
Eagles Get Saudi Arabia Friendly Before Liberia

Talk of a possible international friendly between the Super Eagles and Liberia’s national team, Lone Stars might be put on hold for now, as Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have agreed for a game with Saudi Arabia.

While Liberia were looking to have the Eagles grace a friendly in Monrovia to honour their president, George Opong Weah, the NFF are already in talks with Saudi Arabia Football Federation (SAFF) over a friendly between the two nations next month.

The proposed friendly is expected to hold on September 11, three days after the Eagles tackle Seychelles in their second match of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

A friendly between both teams would further cement growing relations between the two countries, boosted by recent transfer of Nigerian trio of Ahmed Musa, Joseph Akpala and Paul Onobi to Saudi Professional League clubs Al-Nassr, Faisaly and Najoom respectively.

The last time Nigeria and Saudi Arabia faced off in a friendly on May 25, 2010, a match in which the two nations battled to a goalless draw.
The Saudi Arabian team have won the AFC Asian Cup three times and won the regional Arabian Gulf Cup in 1994, 2002 and 2003 plus the Arab Nations Cup in 1998 and 2002.

In the latest FIFA world ranking, the Eagles’ potential opponents are ranked 70th, while they occupy the fifth position among Asian Football Confederation countries.

Source: FootballliveNG.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2018
Of course they have gotten some in the past. This was a rare hit though considering a few would have guessed it.
TheSuperNerd:
They got the one on Semi Ajayi though.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (4577) (4578) (4579) (4580) (4581) (4582) (4583) ... (16447) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.