Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,539 members, 7,895,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 03:23 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4577) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12115174 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4574) (4575) (4576) (4577) (4578) (4579) (4580) ... (16448) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:51pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

Too many tier 2&3 players. I cant quite fathom the rationale for Nwakali's catll up ahead of more established players such as Anyanwu Billing and Ebere Eze.

Rohr is gradually writing his sack letter

BEFUDDLED, BEWILDERED, PERPLEXED BEYOND REASON.

Nwakali is a youth player, who has been anonymous in the Eredivisie went lower to the 2nd tier and was still anonymous. His reward was promotion to Porto B.

Then the NFF enthrone mediocrity and give credence to suspicion of sharp practices with his call up.

When there are far more deserving players in thier multiples playing senior first team football.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:04pm On Aug 24, 2018
komekn:

BEFUDDLED, BEWILDERED, PERPLEXED BEYOND REASON.

Nwakali is a youth player, who has been anonymous in the Eredivisie went lower to the 2nd tier and was still anonymous. His reward was promotion to Porto B.

Then the NFF enthrone mediocrity and give credence to suspicion of sharp practices with his call up.

When there are far more deserving players in thier multiples playing senior first team football.

Agree with you about nwakali

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:07pm On Aug 24, 2018
gamaliel9:
On the list....I was hoping for some fresh faces since it is Seychelles [not underrating them].....on the other hand...i thought....perhaps he does not want to EXPERIMENT...he is WAITING FOR FRIENDLIES to invite most players we expect and some dual nationality players. We must understand that we have a very CONSERVATIVE coach given to mild tinkering...this was ONE OF THE REASONS they sacked him in Burkina Faso though he lead them well

Kalu and Jamilu[not Jamiu] are really the new faces..bar injury Onyekuru had been part of the team....and I THINK HE IS GOING TO BE NEW POSTER BOY.

Oga, there are 4 ''fresh faces'' in that team. Were you expectim him to replace half of the team?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 6:09pm On Aug 24, 2018
Joebie:
Our SE players are too comfortable. It’s not helping them in SE colors. We need fierce competition in the National team at all times to promote excellence. If Joel Obi had been dropped before, trust me he will put in a better fight when he is given another chance. These crop of players are not far ahead of others putting in decent shifts in Europe. Hence, they shouldn’t be sitting tight regardless of how they perform in SE colors.

Invitation doesn't guarantee a starting berth, in fact, I think the squad is in its most competitive state in years. We have a plethora of quality out there, capped and uncapped. For just wings, Onyekuru, Kalu, M Simon, Lookman, Musa no one is miles better than another.

For attacking, Iwobi, Iheanacho, Nwankwo, Ajayi, Gabriel, Ighalo.

Not to mention NPFL players and countless fine players in top Europe second divisions. It's an open secret that Joel and the World Cup flops are just for squad depth and loyalty.

Imagine not inviting an Onazi, just because he lost form.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2018
edi287:

My own is he should invite Ebere Eze as soon as possible. We can not lose that guy especially as we're struggling for creativity.

Is Nwakali better than Seyi Ojo

Is Nwakali better than Oviemuno Ejaria

Currently in my opinion our best uncapped midfielder is Tega Onomah.

But no serious overtures have been made for them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

As clueless as he is, I doubt he knows where the problem of the team lies. I wonder what Nwakali is doing ahead of Ebere Eze and Anyanwu Billing.
Only Rohr knows. Positive is this might push him to work harder at Porto, get in their first team and earn more invites.
More invites = English Work Permit and a crack at Arsenal and the epl.
But I'll be super mad if we lose Eze to Scotland. It's only a matter of time before he's on their radar (that's if he isn't already)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2018
komekn:

Yep I so wish we can get that guy. Get him and Eze and we might just have something to work with.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:16pm On Aug 24, 2018
charlesemeka85:
jamilu collins 2016/2017 clips when he was with rejika

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByuGXbiRBOw

He has the rudiments of a modern LB.

Looks good on the ball and man making is also good.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:19pm On Aug 24, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:33pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChrisKels:
Rohr has nothing more to offer Nigerian football. Yes it is Seychelles, but, Parade this yeye squad against giants like Senegal, ivory coast, Morocco or even Zaire and Ghana then wahala go dey.

Which yeye Ghana ? Abeg comot Ghana there,their current squad looking like Kano pillars
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:36pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

As clueless as he is, I doubt he knows where the problem of the team lies. I wonder what Nwakali is doing ahead of Ebere Eze and Anyanwu Billing.

But anyawu billing did not say he want to play for Nigeria na bros ,make we allow am agree to play for naija

As for ebere eze I agree with you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:51pm On Aug 24, 2018
Rohr on Ighalo invite - Chriskels will not like this... grin Lol

""One of our players who did so well during the 2018 World Cup qualifiers was Odion Ighalo,

"He missed one or two chances against Argentina. If a player should have a bad patch, the next thing is not to discard him.''

"We want him to score goals and show he is still able to do well for his country. We share the problems with him and expect him to do well."

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:52pm On Aug 24, 2018
andrew444:

Which yeye Ghana ? Abeg comot Ghana there,their current squad looking like Kano pillars

Ahn ahn... Haba...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:54pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Ahn ahn... Haba...

Nothing special about Ghana,I have seen their squad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:59pm On Aug 24, 2018
Rohr Hints At Eagles Friendly Vs Saudi Arabia Sept. 11, Confirms Salisu’s Absence
By Johnny Edward...

Gernot Rohr has revealed that the Super Eagles may face Saudi Arabia in an international friendly on September 11, reports Completespotsnigeria.com reports.

Rohr who announced a 24-man squad for next month’s 2019 African Cup Of Nations qualifier against Seychelles on Friday made this known in a media conference in Lagos.

“We still have to finalize some little details, but there are talks a the moment,” Rohr revealed during media conference on Friday in Lagos.

He also revealed that his assistant coach Salisu Yusuf who is currently under investigation for bribery allegations will not be part of the technical crew for the game against Seychelles.

“No he will not, ” he said while responding to a question.

The Super Eagles need a win in the 2019 AFCON qualifying match against Seychelles in order to keep pace with group leaders Libya and South Africa after suffering a 2-0 opening day loss to Bafana Bafana at home in June 2017.

Source: CSN.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:04pm On Aug 24, 2018
I know their squad and players too but saying they are akin to Kano Pillars is being somewhat hyperbolic. Lol

They are not as formidable but still boast some fine and decent quality in Partey (Atletico madrid), Emmanuel Boateng (Levante) who scored hattrick against Barca and scored against Madrid too all last season, Raphael Dwamena (just joined Levante), The Ayew brothers, Jeffrey Schlupp (Crystal Palace), and some others.

Come on Andrew, Ghana is not that bad. wink

andrew444:

Nothing special about Ghana,I have seen their squad.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:06pm On Aug 24, 2018
Ebere Eze and Etebo play in the same league, their respective teams have been losing but while Ebere has started and completed every match played by his team, Etebo has been a bench warmer that makes only cameo appearances, yet, Ebere was over looked for Etebo. This is the same thing Keshi did with Oduamadi and Isariemen Ebagua when both were playing for Brescia in the Serie B, while Ebagua was the goal king in the entire league, Oduamadi was finding it difficult to see game time talk more of scoring goals, yet Keshi was inviting Oduamadi instead of Ebagua for reason best known to him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:13pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChrisKels:
Ebere Eze and Etebo play in the same league, their respective teams have been losing but while Ebere has started and completed every match played by his team, Etebo has been a bench warmer that makes only cameo appearances, yet, Ebere was over looked for Etebo. This is the same thing Keshi did with Oduamadi and Isariemen Ebagua when both were playing for Brescia in the Serie B, while Ebagua was the goal king in the entire league, Oduamadi was finding it difficult to see game time talk more of scoring goals, yet Keshi was inviting Oduamadi instead of Ebagua for reason best known to him.

So you would pick Eze ahead of Etebo.

As if Etebo and Eze only started playing football in August 2018.

Besides, Eze was not up against Etebo in terms of selection. Eze was was up against Onyekuru and Kalu.

Not every player will get invitation bro.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:14pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
I know their squad and players too but saying they are akin to Kano Pillars is being somewhat hyperbolic. Lol

They are not as formidable but still boast some fine and decent quality in Partey (Atletico madrid), Emmanuel Boateng (Levante) who scored hattrick against Barca and scored against Madrid too all last season, Raphael Dwamena (just joined Levante), The Ayew brothers, Jeffrey Schlupp (Crystal Palace), and a some others.

Andrew444 was just being sarcastic naa...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:15pm On Aug 24, 2018
I hope so Dad. But I sense a tone of seriousness in his words shaa... Lol.. let's hope it is sarcasm I cannot or didn't spot. wink

Icon4s:

Andrew444 was just being sarcastic naa...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:16pm On Aug 24, 2018
which onomah is our best uncapped midfielder? is he better than huddlesfield philip anyanwu billing? nawaooooo
komekn:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:20pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Ahn ahn... Haba...

The boy get problem understanding simple English sentence thats why I decided not to reply the mention. Check the post he quoted, u will see that I somewhat made Zaire and Ghana the tier 2 teams of the listed giants.

By the way, what does he know about Ghanaian football? Do we at present have the efficiency they boast of up front? Boateng, Dwamena and of course Jordan Ayew would send Ighalo to exile if they were Nigerians.

We have a problematic left back position that would easy be sorted by Rahman of schalke04, Agbenyenu of Sporting CP or even Schullp of Crystal Palace. In the midfield, the presence of Asamoah, Dede, Partey, Wakaso et al would do a great magic.

Their goalkeeper from Soacheux is same tier 2 keeper like Uzoho but their back up goalkeeper from Maritzburg is better than Akpeyi and Ezenwa joined together.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:21pm On Aug 24, 2018
The Solace Chukwu Angle on Jamilu Collins

Jamilu Collins: Who is the Super Eagles new boy replacing Elderson Echiejile?
By Solace Chukwu, Goal correspondent.

Gernot Rohr sprung a real surprise in naming the unknown 24-year-old in his first post-World Cup Nigeria squad

First a furrow of the brows, then a blank stare, then a rush to Google.
That was largely the reaction to the name 'Jamilu Collins' as it was read out at the press conference which announced Nigeria's squad for the Africa Cup of Nations 2019 qualifier against Seychelles.

The 24-year-old is the latest member of the Super Eagles, and a legacy of a long search for the solution to a problem position: left-back.

Born in Kaduna, the defender earned his professional stripes with Croatian side Rijeka, whom he joined at the age of 18. After spending some time in their youth ranks, he bounced around on loan in the Croatian second division with NK Pomorac and HNK Sibenik, before finding his way (via another loan move) to the top division with NK Istra.

Rijeka, however, were unconvinced, and after another brief spell with Sibenik, they let him go at the end of his contract in 2017.

Their loss would be the gain of German club Paderborn, then in the third-tier of German football, who promptly snapped him up. With his strong performances from full-back, they won promotion to 2. Bundesliga last season.

His efforts have apparently not gone unnoticed, and he will be expected to provide a lasting and final replacement for Elderson Echiejile, who has held the left-back spot for over half a decade.

While the mere fact that he is naturally left-footed (unlike Bryan Idowu, who filled in at the World Cup) and younger than Echiejile are points in his favour, Collins is a strong contender in his own right. A physical player whose aggression will serve him well in African football, he is also capable going forward.

He possesses reasonable speed and favours low crosses along the turf, either to the near post or across the face of goal. His frame means he is not easily outmuscled, and he can go shoulder-to-shoulder with most players, whether in a defensive or offensive capacity.

If there is a worry about Collins, it is that he can be sometimes too aggressive. However, it is a welcome change to have a natural wide option to stretch teams. If he takes to the challenge of international football, Rohr may well have scratched one of his biggest itches.

Source: Goal Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:23pm On Aug 24, 2018
Icon4s:

So you would pick Eze ahead of Etebo.

As if Etebo and Eze only started playing football in August 2018.

Besides, Eze was not up against Etebo in terms of selection. Eze was was up against Onyekuru and Kalu.

Not every player will get invitation bro.

With the bolded, their is no point arguing with you. Eze an attacking midfielder up against two wingers(onyekuru and Kalu)? Joke of the century.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:26pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

The boy get problem understanding simple English sentence thats why I decided not to reply the mention. Check the post he quoted, u will see that I somewhat made Zaire and Ghana the tier 2 teams of the listed giants.

By the way, what does he know about Ghanaian football? Do we at present have the efficiency they boast of up front? Boateng, Dwamena and of course Jordan Ayew would send Ighalo to exile if they were Nigerians.

We have a problematic left back position that would easy be sorted by Rahman of schalke04, Agbenyenu of Sporting CP or even Schullp of Crystal Palace. In the midfield, the presence of Asamoah, Dede, Partey, Wakaso et al would do a great magic.

Their goalkeeper from Soacheux is same tier 2 keeper like Uzoho but their back up goalkeeper from Maritzburg is better than Akpeyi and Ezenwa joined together.

Hian... Nna ehn.. I didn't even want to go deeply into Ghana's talents but now you don do am and even use am dey cast MY SUPER EAGLES... Honestly ehn Nna'm, I fear your stand is that "Every other Notable African Football National team" is better than the Super Eagles....

Oga Chriskels, I just dey look you...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:26pm On Aug 24, 2018
Most competitive state virtually. That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m saying that should reflect on how these SE players see their position in the team.

You see we have tagged indegeneous coaches as always having their boys. That’s exactly what it is with this loyalty talk. There are players dying to play for the SE, the players who get a chance again and again should play as if having that in mind. I made this same remark before the World Cup if you remember, and I was hoping after the Mundial Rohr will set a new tone. We need the coach to really push these players.

There is no guarantee they will start? No player should be invited unless they can really stake a claim for a starting shirt. I want a player to push the regular starter always. That’s competition
TheLoneCitizen:

Invitation doesn't guarantee a starting berth, in fact, I think the squad is in its most competitive state in years. We have a plethora of quality out there, capped and uncapped. For just wings, Onyekuru, Kalu, M Simon, Lookman, Musa no one is miles better than another.

For attacking, Iwobi, Iheanacho, Nwankwo, Ajayi, Gabriel, Ighalo.

Not to mention NPFL players and countless fine players in top Europe second divisions. It's an open secret that Joel and the World Cup flops are just for squad depth and loyalty.

Imagine not inviting an Onazi, just because he lost form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:41pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

With the bolded, their is no point arguing with you. Eze an attacking midfielder up against two wingers(onyekuru and Kalu)? Joke of the century.
He is an AM that tyoically plays from the Wings just like Iwobi.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:43pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

They are not as formidable but still boast some fine and decent quality in Partey (Atletico madrid), Emmanuel Boateng (Levante) who scored hattrick against Barca and scored against Madrid too all last season, Raphael Dwamena (just joined Levante), The Ayew brothers, Jeffrey Schlupp (Crystal Palace), and some others.

Add to that Kasim Nuhu of hoffeinhem, Patrick Twumasi of Alavez, duncan of sassoulo, donsah of bologna, Amartey of Leicester. Too many of them in the midtable Serie A teams, Afriyie et al

Abeg leave Dat outdated guy to keep wallowing in ignorance

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:46pm On Aug 24, 2018
Icon4s:

He is an AM that tyoically plays from the Wings just like Iwobi.

So wetin concern him concern onyekuru and Kalu abi Kalu and onyekuru are also attacking midfielders that operate from the wing like Iwobi?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 7:48pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

So if someone scored against Barca he is now over good nah lol

For your information the ayew brothers was dropped from the squad listed 2 days ago

Thomas partey is a classy player and kwadwo asamoah,the rest are below average players.

If na Senegal and Morocco I go shut my mouth not Ghana
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:50pm On Aug 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Hian... Nna ehn.. I didn't even want to go deeply into Ghana's talents but now you don do am and even use am dey cast MY SUPER EAGLES... Honestly ehn Nna'm, I fear your stand is that "Every other Notable African Football National team" is better than the Super Eagles....

, I just dey look you...
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:54pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChrisKels:

So wetin concern him concern onyekuru and Kalu abi Kalu and onyekuru are also attacking midfielders that operate from the wing like Iwobi?

Hahaha, you just dey fall your hand dey go.

Is Iwobi not often played as a winger in the Super Eagles? So why would Eberechi Eze not be deployed as a winger too.

grin You think an AM only plays the Central role abi? grin

Now we know who the joker of the Century is.

I can bet you've not even seen this Ebere Eze play

(1) (2) (3) ... (4574) (4575) (4576) (4577) (4578) (4579) (4580) ... (16448) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: forgiveness, tikristinimi21 and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.