Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,485 members, 7,926,447 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 03:14 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (909) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12289619 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (906) (907) (908) (909) (910) (911) (912) ... (16533) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:10am On May 07, 2017
Sir Tglobal... I love the angle you brought this from.... I really do and I am one who is even in disdain of the rigidity of our own educational system.... but....

It is not about worshipping Education. Real Education is about opening up the eyes and minds of individuals to a bigger world out there.... this is what I am after. We need to give our kids the opportunity to a bigger world so that they can make the choice for themselves.

You don't need formal education to manage finances but you need exposure to those who got that formal education right? Even if you are exposed to those who didn't get formal education... if you trace the line back to the people they all mastered it from.... you will see sprouts of formal education along the line.

You won't believe that outside NL, I am one of those who find univ.education quite limiting in Nigeria.... so much that I seek a change to our curriculum... I understand that Life is the real school and not the four walls of institutions but again.... not everyone will have my kind of dynamic mindset of being able to distinguish focus on what professional goals I wanna accomplish at school and also expanding my horizons to acquire knowledge and skills outside Univ. Curriculum....

This is why I also preach that our kids no matter how talented they are, are given the basics of education (high school level) and a way found to make such work for every single individual to at least attain that basic education.

I wish a lot of people here can go watch The Movie Coach Carter .... the concept is magical and superb.... it is a concept that actually works.

A good education at the high school level with the right focus and tutors will help kids become responsible and better decision makers in life as they go forward.... after that, you may never know what can happen.

Giving them the opportunity to combine football and education at high school level gives them wings to fly to whatever heights they choose be it in football or along the academic lines.... The truth is we cannot set up all our kids to wanna become Michael Jordan and Maradona... most will miss it and miss out and not get the right attitude on life... we have to strike that balance and give our kids a good chance to soar coz not everyone can become non-formal financial juggernauts either.

About Specialization, how do you tell in high school, the Super specific specialties of some kids when things aren't so obvious as the kid who seems to have a knack for money maths and a mother kid who has the knack for football?

In conclusion.... I wish we can apply and do things the way the coach carter concept preaches.... and see if wonders won't happen.

tglobal:
You don't learn life hacks in the four walls of a classroom! In fact, most useful education occurs outside the four walls!

Education isn't physics, maths or economics and you don't need to have formal education to be able to manage your finances. All you need is to know your limitations and find experts who can help you and this comes from exposure.

I have heard people talk about US , UK with reference to education and I wonder if they really know what they are talking about. A cursory look at the education budget in these countries or the ratio of international students to home grown students will make the truth clearer.

I will give you a personal anecdote: I worked for 4 years as an analyst in an investment bank before leaving the UK and I found one curious thing: The heads of my trading team didn't see the four walls of a university! they started their careers as boys who were passing trading punch cards in the exchange, mastered it and they are top investment bankers today. In the grand scheme of things, classroom education didnt help them, rather they found their passion, reinvented themselves and they are where they are today.

I make bold to say that what makes these societies tick is specialization. People developing skills relevant to their passion. Why should a Jay Jay Okocha worry about not mastering mathematics when he could devote more time in honing his dribbling skills? Does that mean you can cheat him in business? Certainly not! Why? business skills are not taught in the classroom.

The earlier we do away with our worship of "formal education" in our country, the better for us. Education doesn't begin and end in the classroom, shikena! Advanced countries realize this and they are rewarded for it!

The earlier we helped children identify their passion and support them, the better.

I have so much to say about this matter just not able to type now

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:16am On May 07, 2017
Thanks for your contributions too on this matter Sir Goldfish.... really appreciate and well said. smiley

goldfish80:
Am of the opinion that football should go hand in hand with education. When I say education, I mean atleast senior high school.
The elite academies in the world have entrenched in their modus operandi education and football mixed together.

Here is an except of the famed Barcelona mestalla operation ;

The gospel truth is that when kids are starting out you never can tell how far they could go in professional sports. Kids need a good education foundation so they have a fall back option if it all goes South. A tiny % of kids admitted into academies actually make it to the professional level.
Nothing is guaranteed in football or any professional sports. If world class academies adopt this strategy, who are we to disagree with them since the results are starring us in the face.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:30am On May 07, 2017
Very good Question Safari.... now lemme throw this in.... how the education come help them?

Now the likes of Steven Ballmer who got a maths and economics certificate and also a physics degree I think didnt get to become a physical sciences guru and professor but at Microsoft when Bill Gates appointed him President/CEO of Microsoft, do you know some of the learning and exposure he got in his studies on physics, economics and maths all came together to make him one of the world's most effective CEOs... a man with no outright connection to the ICT world?

He was booksmart... a complete bookworm but his management skills and ability to manage people and resources parr of what he learnt during research learning during his physics classes and maths and econs classes came to help him out.

Also Safari.... smiley There are guys out there who aren't practicing what their certificate says but I have seen when some situations arise that requires some in depth or good knowledge of a field linked to what their cert says and it is that learning that they picked up that some of these guys fall back on to navigate through....

I see this happen everyday.... so I believe that no knowledge is ever wasted. Most or rather some of our education somehow will always come back to help us navigate thru some particular situation or challenge later in life....

But even at this... I still find our current educational curriculum not expansive enough... I seek a change to it. But still, some of what is learnt in the current setting of our curriculum still applies in real life and in some cases become life-savers for individuals.

In conclusion, The Coach Carter concept is different and employs a dynamic educational approach and flexible curriculum. It has worked wonders and can do same in Nigeria if we allow it.

Ever watched "Like Stars on Earth"? (hint: no blacks in the movie.... it's indian ... but just try to see it plss... wink this is a perfect example of Chief Icon4s' Olodo Rabata explanation who was approached differently and wonders was the result..... and yes it is just a movie but it explains what I have read about and seen happen elsewhere in the western world.)

safarigirl:
you need to be interested before you want to do any of that, and you need to be talented as well.

Everybody wanted to be one of those at some point, but how many people went on to practice them? There are many people with a certificate in those fields who don't use them, so, how the education come help them?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:43am On May 07, 2017
I really enjoyed reading all comments in this Education and football discussion.... Really fantastic. You all rock.... smiley One of the best discussions I have had here to be frank.... wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:56am On May 07, 2017
Exclusive – Emmanuel Daniel Named In Pirates Squad For Mamelodi Sundowns Clash

Former Nigeria U-23 shot stopper Emmanuel Daniel could make his Premier South Africa League (PSL) debut for Orlando Pirates against Mamelodi Sundowns, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal.

Daniel has been named in the 18 man squad of Orlando Pirates for tomorrow’s game, but the former Enugu Rangers shot stopper will start from the bench against the team that he almost joined few months ago.

Although Thela Ngobeni will be between the sticks for 9th place Pirates, Daniel ‘s inclusion in the squad for the game puts to rest doubts over his eligibility to represent the South African side.

Tipped to be handed a recall to the senior national team of Nigeria for their camping exercise in France later in the month, Daniel was the first choice goalkeeper of the Nigerian team that won bronze at the Rio 2016 Olympics.

Already he has trained twice with the Super Eagles, and coach Gernot Rohr views him as one of the young goalkeepers in the team with the potential to be first choice in a not too distant future.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/06/exclusive-emmanuel-daniel-named-in-pirates-squad-for-mamelodi-sundowns-clash/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:59am On May 07, 2017
Prolific Nigerian Striker Nominated For Chelsea Goal Of The Month Award For April

One of the goals scored by Ike Ugbo is in the running to be named Chelsea's Goal of the Month for April 2017.

The five-goal shortlist include strikes from the Chelsea youth-teamer, Marcos Alonso, Nemanja Matic, Diego Costa and Pedro.

Ugbo scored a stunning overhead kick in the final second leg of the FA Youth Cup against Manchester City, and first team coach Antonio Conte, who was in the stands, had a smile on his face after the goal.

This season, the former England U17 international has netted 25 goals in all competitions, including his strike in a 2-1 loss to Derby County in Premier League 2 on Friday.

Before Ugbo made his mark as a prolific striker, he used to play in midfield for Chelsea.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22957
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:01am On May 07, 2017
Forgotten Eagles Ace Joel Obi Shows Class For Torino In Derby Draw Against Juventus

Serie A champions in waiting Juventus escaped derby defeat at the hands of their city rivals Torino thanks to a late goal from Gonzalo Higuain which helped them to a 1-1 draw at the Juventus Stadium.

Adem Ljajic gave Torino the lead in the 52nd minute but five minutes later they were reduced to 10 men following the sending off of Afriyie Acquah for two bookable offences.

Juventus made use of the numerical advantage as Torino tired out late into the game, which allowed Gonzalo Higuain the space and time to draw his team level two minutes into time added on after regulation time.

Despite the disappointment of conceding late into the game, the performance of Nigerian midfielder Joel Obi was one of the positives for Torino in the tie.

Obi was introduced for the injured Daniel Baselli in the 76th minutes, and the former Inter Milan midfielder proved his worth with a solid showing in the final 14 minutes of the game.

The highlight of his performance was a clean tackle late into the game to deny Juventus a clear chance at goal. Obi also helped his team keep possession under pressure with neat and tidy touches.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/06/forgotten-eagles-ace-joel-obi-shows-class-for-torino-in-derby-draw-against-juventus/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:05am On May 07, 2017
Osayi-Samuel Named EFL Young Player Of The Month, Reveals He Was Scouted By Man Utd

Okija-born winger Bright Osayi-Samuel has been named the EFL Young Player of the Month for March after helping Blackpool secure a spot in the League Two playoffs.

During the period under review, Osayi-Samuel made four appearances for the Seasiders in the division, scoring three goals and providing two assists.

The 19-year-old,who moved to England when he was ten years old, has revealed that he was scouted by Manchester United before he joined Blackpool.

''I was playing in a park with a few of my friends and one of the Manchester United scouts came and watched at the time," Osayi-Samuel told BBC Radio Lancashire.

"He knew Richie (Kyle) was Blackpool's youth-team coach, told him about me, then Richie called my mum and asked me if I wanted to trial at Blackpool. It all started from there."

Osayi-Samuel is the second player of Nigerian descent to win the EFL Young Player of the Month this season, following in the footsteps of Chelsea loanee Tammy Abraham.

He is on the radar of Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Everton and Aston Villa in the summer transfer market.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : efl.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22956

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:06am On May 07, 2017
Fit - Again Osimhen On Bench As Wolfsburg Beat Frankfurt In Bundesliga Clash
By Johnny Edward

Former Golden Eaglets and Flying Eagles striker Victor Osimhen was an unused substitute for Wolfsburg who defeated Eintracht Frankfurt 2-0 in a Bundesliga game at the Commerzbank Arena on Saturday, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

It was the second time this season that the Nigerian forward, 18, was making the matchday squad since returning to full fitness.

Second half goals from Daniel Didavi and Mario Gomez handed Wolfsburg their tenth win of the season.

With the win, Wolfsburg moved to 14th in the Bundesliga table with two games left to play.

Osimhen, who was dropped from the Super Eagles last squad due to an injury, is expected to be named in the Nigeria squad to face South Africa in 2019 African Nations Cup preliminary qualifier in Uyo in June.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/fit-osimhen-bench-wolfsburg-beat-frankfurt-bundesliga-clash/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:08am On May 07, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

If football can stop wars, why can't it help us educate our children? We should not just sit down and allow children to go without basic education. Yea guys will drop out but at least they would have been given a chance and can decide for themselves.
There's a difference between SCHOOLING and EDUCATION. The Latin root word 'educere' from which the English word education is derived means to bring out that which is within. Formal, structured school form of education is not for everyone. We spend our lives being put in a box called school, constrained, pressed within the boundaries of what has been or what somebody wants us to be(later dem will be singing 'think outside the box, think outside the box' when them don use school box in your natural mojo forgetting say old cat cannot learn new tricks). Our natural flair most times is shunted, unrecognised and left to wither and die. But we fail to recognise that book intelligence is not all there is as far as the subtle quality called human intelligence is concerned. Our educational system must be expansive enough to cater to different kinds of people.
still it's very, very important that everyone is literate, that everyone learns to read and write (not necessarily through formal schools) and for footballers it is crucial because football has a short lifespan. (Zinedine Zidane was reported as feeling lost when he retired from football - Segun Odegbami said so on Channels TV when he was talking about Rashidi Yekini). It would require creative, intelligent and even weird kind of teachers to teach footballers basic English and mathematics.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:30am On May 07, 2017
Icon4s:

Time management for teenagers.

You want to turn them to robots. Haha haha they will react by rebelliousness or revolt.

You have never had to deal with teenagers so you won't understand this.

The Way Sir Bascovanveli was goin about the argument. I just sensed he has not had a practical teaching experience. In theory there is no dull child, but when you take a teaching job where you are exposed to some ''Olodocious dull students'' hmmmmm your toley go change.

Allow those who want to play football to use the most part of their time training and undergoing ''Drill'' if he fails he can become a mechanic, carpenter, shoe cobbler, welder, farmer, etc grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:43am On May 07, 2017
safarigirl:
some are not slow learners, they are just NOT INTERESTED in learning. Kpomkwem.

Reality is that NOT EVERYONE will embrace formal education, all this go to school talk is honestly boring. No be everybody wan go school.

I attended a public secondary school and let me tell you that I knew guys who would never pick up a book, but give them a ball and watch the magic happen. They passed fine and good, but na other people brain dem use

Passing exams also does not mean someone is LEARNING, believe it or not, many of these boys will find shady means to pass and these academies could take them in courtesy of falsely gotten good grades. Is that helping anybody?

Getting a formal education does not and will never equate to learning. Learning can only be done where there is an actual interest.

So, while this method may have worked abroad, you need to realise that what works for America may not work for Nigeria
Thank you for this epic rely.
May God bless your generation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:49am On May 07, 2017
safarigirl:
another point I wanted to make. I have seen so many talents die out because of this cursed formal educatiom of a thing that just sucks out everything that makes one human.

Formal education turns you to a robot, restricted only to whatever books tell you, it rarely allows for flexibility.

You cannot serve two masters at the same time, either football suffers or academics suffer. Even the America that makes players combine the two, most of those guys graduate with extremely average results. Nothing spectacular, and even to get those, they have to stretch themselves thin.

Many of them drop out of college once they get snapped up by professional clubs.

Honestly, formal education is overrated. Talent will get you success and greater sense of happiness and fulfillment over something in a book.

Some people just have talent with books, hence their success with it...such people are rarely ever good at playing any sport to be honest.

Why don't we also make athletics a mandatory requirement for book smart people, we'll see if they excel
Thank you for making my day.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:30am On May 07, 2017
goldfish80:
Am of the opinion that football should go hand in hand with education. When I say education, I mean atleast senior high school.
The elite academies in the world have entrenched in their modus operandi education and football mixed together.

Here is an except of the famed Barcelona mestalla operation ;

The gospel truth is that when kids are starting out you never can tell how far they could go in professional sports. Kids need a good education foundation so they have a fall back option if it all goes South. A tiny % of kids admitted into academies actually make it to the professional level.
Nothing is guaranteed in football or any professional sports. If world class academies adopt this strategy, who are we to disagree with them since the results are starring us in the face.

No body was originally against the idea of combining formal education with football. What actually prolonged the argument was the ''idea that a student must pass a given number of subject before he is allowed to kick the ball''. Dam that's crazy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:38am On May 07, 2017
Well, well, well...... cheesy

I think I missed this coz you didn't spell my moniker correctly thus missing the mention and having your comment kinda hidden in the flood of the education-football discussion.

Hmmmm..... I think Yara Yara and Dr Dog needs to prepare the examining plus operating room for you now.... we need to know why your body goes "mini-mini wana wan" coz of Safarigirl....

Alright... it's time... Yara Yara make that call now to Dr.Dog.... even as you prepare the examining team..... grin

do4luv14:
Pls oooo wia sir THESUPERNARD, mak him come help me for SAFARIGIRL matter asap,

the babe dey mak body do me mini-mini wana wan grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:53am On May 07, 2017
terzurum5:

The Way Sir Bascovanveli was goin about the argument. I just sensed he has not had a practical teaching experience. In theory there is no dull child, but when you take a teaching job where you are exposed to some ''Olodocious dull students'' hmmmmm your toley go change.

Allow those who want to play football to use the most part of their time training and undergoing ''Drill'' if he fails he can become a mechanic, carpenter, shoe cobbler, welder, farmer, etc grin

Some of our teachers are weak. They don't even try to get through to children. Every child does not learn at the same pace, there is no such thing as a dull child, only in Nigeria is it accepted to call children dull. I know people who were bad students before they found their way and are now successful in life. Even if u don't agree with my idea u should always remember that no child is a dullard.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:08am On May 07, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Forgotten Eagles Ace Joel Obi Shows Class For Torino In Derby Draw Against Juventus

Serie A champions in waiting Juventus escaped derby defeat at the hands of their city rivals Torino thanks to a late goal from Gonzalo Higuain which helped them to a 1-1 draw at the Juventus Stadium.

Adem Ljajic gave Torino the lead in the 52nd minute but five minutes later they were reduced to 10 men following the sending off of Afriyie Acquah for two bookable offences.

Juventus made use of the numerical advantage as Torino tired out late into the game, which allowed Gonzalo Higuain the space and time to draw his team level two minutes into time added on after regulation time.

Despite the disappointment of conceding late into the game, the performance of Nigerian midfielder Joel Obi was one of the positives for Torino in the tie.

Obi was introduced for the injured Daniel Baselli in the 76th minutes, and the former Inter Milan midfielder proved his worth with a solid showing in the final 14 minutes of the game.

The highlight of his performance was a clean tackle late into the game to deny Juventus a clear chance at goal. Obi also helped his team keep possession under pressure with neat and tidy touches.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/06/forgotten-eagles-ace-joel-obi-shows-class-for-torino-in-derby-draw-against-juventus/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:12am On May 07, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

**Osas Mahawi

this guy is one hell of a guy am yet to decipher yet..is he an upcoming talent? talented payer? class or world class?
he does like a chameleon.. always changing every minute..no thanks to injuries.. but am still yet to find out whether we can still reckon on him in no time..

abeg thegoodjoe,supernerd,icon4s, etc abeg make una help me clear the air on this guy..

CAN HE BREAK INTO THE CURRENT EAGLES SQUAD NOW?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:14am On May 07, 2017
Mujtahida:

There's a difference between SCHOOLING and EDUCATION. The Latin root word 'educere' from which the English word education is derived means to bring out that which is within. Formal, structured school form of education is not for everyone. We spend our lives being put in a box called school, constrained, pressed within the boundaries of what has been or what somebody wants us to be(later dem will be singing 'think outside the box, think outside the box' when them don use school box in your natural mojo forgetting say old cat cannot learn new tricks). Our natural flair most times is shunted, unrecognised and left to wither and die. But we fail to recognise that book intelligence is not all there is as far as the subtle quality called human intelligence is concerned. Our educational system must be expansive enough to cater to different kinds of people.
still it's very, very important that everyone is literate, that everyone learns to read and write (not necessarily through formal schools) and for footballers it is crucial because football has a short lifespan. (Zinedine Zidane was reported as feeling lost when he retired from football - Segun Odegbami said so on Channels TV when he was talking about Rashidi Yekini). It would require creative, intelligent and even weird kind of teachers to teach footballers basic English and mathematics.

So u even think a footballer can't learn English and Maths like u and i? The problem is that people know the power footballers could have in Nigeria and keeping them uneducated is the only way to slow them down.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:23am On May 07, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

So u even think a footballer can't learn English and Maths like u and i? The problem is that people know the power footballers could have in Nigeria and keeping them uneducated is the only way to slow them down.
I guess your question takes its rise from my last paragraph. My answer is that Yes they can. However most times since it is difficult to combine professional football with schooling then a way has to be worked out to meet the educational needs of footballers and my emphasis on creative and intelligent teachers is because such teachers will look for an interesting and dynamic way to make the players absorb just enough which regular schools might not provide for. It's not a formula sha. It's just an alternative.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:52am On May 07, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Some of our teachers are weak. They don't even try to get through to children. Every child does not learn at the same pace, there is no such thing as a dull child, only in Nigeria is it accepted to call children dull. I know people who were bad students before they found their way and are now successful in life. Even if u don't agree with my idea u should always remember that no child is a dullard.
I agree with you 100%-No child is dull. The worst form of stigmatisation is to label a child-I mean this unfolding promise, this sprouting shoot,this free, happy guarantee of the future -dull, dundee or olodo. It's unpardonably criminal and monstrous to use such words to trap the burgeoning consciousness of a child, your child, any child, to stamp such a fruit bearing word on the pliable mind of a child. We shouldn't do it and we should not let others do it to any child(the story is told of how Thomas Edison's teacher labelled him 'addled '. His mother, obviously a wise woman took him out of school and homeschooled him and gave the world the genius of her son)
There are only ignorant adults who do not or have not recognised the inner genius of a child. There's a way each child should be trained to go but the problem is that not many parents have that eye to see what is not obvious. What is lacking is insight.
We are all unique but it takes hard work, dedication and care to create an educational system that will take into consideration the uniqueness of each child. That's the challenge for parents, for teachers, for educators.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:16am On May 07, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I am not disputing that fact
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:01am On May 07, 2017
krattoss:
this guy is one hell of a guy am yet to decipher yet..is he an upcoming talent? talented payer? class or world class?
he does like a chameleon.. always changing every minute..no thanks to injuries.. but am still yet to find out whether we can still reckon on him in no time..

abeg thegoodjoe,supernerd,icon4s, etc abeg make una help me clear the air on this guy..

Without a doubt, Infact he will be an asset to the current team.

But I would not invite him. Too injury prone. Let him focus on elongating his club career for as long as possible.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:12am On May 07, 2017
The career of a sports person is short. Some get cut short by injury and some never make it to the professional ranks. Those that make it professionally have about a little more than a decade to earn as much as they can.

When it is all over, they need something to fall back to.

That is why education is important.

During their playing time, they can get coaching badges, degrees or professional certifications that set them up for life after football.

Having a good secondary school foundation will help them push forward later.

Your physical attributes fade quicker than your knowledge. They can have another career for 20-30 years after football.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:47am On May 07, 2017
Mujtahida:

I agree with you 100%-No child is dull. The worst form of stigmatisation is to label a child-I mean this unfolding promise, this sprouting shoot,this free, happy guarantee of the future -dull, dundee or olodo. It's unpardonably criminal and monstrous to use such words to trap the burgeoning consciousness of a child, your child, any child, to stamp such a fruit bearing word on the pliable mind of a child. We shouldn't do it and we should not let others do it to any child(the story is told of how Thomas Edison's teacher labelled him 'addled '. His mother, obviously a wise woman took him out of school and homeschooled him and gave the world the genius of her son)
There are only ignorant adults who do not or have not recognised the inner genius of a child. There's a way each child should be trained to go but the problem is that not many parents have that eye to see what is not obvious. What is lacking is insight.
We are all unique but it takes hard work, dedication and care to create an educational system that will take into consideration the uniqueness of each child. That's the challenge for parents, for teachers, for educators.

I have no complaints about this comment but let me add that with school sports everyone is almost force to being involved. When I was in secondary school, I knew for a fact that the best treated kids were the best players on the school team. Practically worshiped by their peers and even teachers. Parents will also take note when their son or daughter is the talk of the town. This will force them to be involved. The child will gain confidence and that can only spill over into the classroom. Nothing in life is perfect and I can't promise that a child doesn't still get fed up and walk away but I do not expect that the be the majority of kids.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:54am On May 07, 2017
tbaba1234:

Vanzekin is no longer playing?
Yeah, he is studying Engineering somewhere now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:56am On May 07, 2017
I de enjoy this debate on education n sport.

America's structured and organised system don rub on Sir Tbaba. E don forget se things no de work for naija as one go see in the western world.

He kept mentioning teaching time management to kids. Abeg who go teach that? Is it the same teacher that uses the break time(the little time during sch to play) to teach mathematics and bombard this same students with assignments they won't be able to finish till the next day
Or schools that don't have PHE teachers who will teach kids the rudiments of these sports?

Here in Nigeria, Schooling(which I think Sir. Tbaba is mixing up with education) and sports does not go hand in hand. You either choose one after acquiring the basic knowledge to maneuver your way through life-which you can get from High Sch (i.e the ability to read, understand and translate what has been understood to practical knowledge + basic arithmetics)

any kid having talent in sports should better spend more time horning his skills while he is stil young and that way he'll stand a chance and if he fails to make it professionally(I think between 20-22yrs)
he and she can always go back to school to get the needed CERTIFICATE which never late and will always wait...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:06pm On May 07, 2017
tbaba1234:
The career of a sports person is short. Some get cut short by injury and some never make it to the professional ranks. Those that make it professionally have about a little more than a decade to earn as much as they can.

When it is all over, they need something to fall back to.

That is why education is important.

During their playing time, they can get coaching badges, degrees or professional certifications that set them up for life after football.

Having a good secondary school foundation will help them push forward later.

Your physical attributes fade quicker than your knowledge. They can have another career for 20-30 years after football.
I agree with you on this. According to report by CIES in 2015, the failure rate of young talented footballers making it to the professional level stands at just 1%.
For the records, about 12000 kids are admitted into the football academies spread out across England, only about 1% of these kids will play football for a living. The rest are spat out into the real world in a game of musical chairs.

When you consider these numbers are culled from a developed country like England, when you try to relate this to Nigeria with even a greater number of population and poor structures, you could be looking at numbers less than 1% making it to the professional level of the sport.

The numbers are even worse when the NBA is being considered. Out of about five hundred thousand high school basket ball playing students, only 48 get drafted to the NBA. Just 0.03% make it through from high school to the NBA.

For clarity sake, out of 10000 high school basket ball players, only 3 will end up in the NBA.

We have to realise being talented is not enough, the journey to professional sports is a race to the bottom.

Kids must be educated at all cost. Standards needs to be set because if we encourage truancy among kids who belive they are talented in music or sports, we will end up having a society filled with sparsely educated illiterates who were deluded into believing their talents will forever see them through.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:17pm On May 07, 2017
Joel C. Obi is a very talented player.... I remember it was his synergy with Mikel that Siasia was trying to establish in 2010/2011 but his injuries kicked in as usual then.

He can be break into this Super Eagles team but truth is he has "glass legs" I.e. he can pick up injuries at the slightest falls or physical touches....

If Joel can show that his days of injury palava are over, then no doubt he can find his international career back on in no time... smiley

krattoss:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:36pm On May 07, 2017
Newcastle United Scout Watches Etebo Shine Against Pacos de Ferreira

Scouts from newly promoted English Premier League side Newcastle United were sighted in the stands during Feirense 1-0 win over Pacos de Ferreira in a Portuguese Liga game.
The scouts were reportedly at the match venue to run the rule on Nigeria international Oghenekaro Etebo who plays for CD Feirense in view of a move for him in the summer.

Etebo lasted the entire duration of the game, and although he wasn’t at his best. He showed flashes of his undoubted abilities in what was a very dour and boring game.

21 year old Etebo has been heavily linked with a summer move away from the modest Portuguese side with England rumoured to be his next destination, where Leicester City and Newcastle United have been linked.

Rumours also has it that Turkish side Fenerbahce, French side Monaco and Spanish La-Liga side Sevilla are also lining up a move for the forward.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/07/newcastle-united-scout-watches-etebo-shine-against-pacos-de-ferreira/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:44pm On May 07, 2017
Torunarigha Dazzles For Hertha Berlin , Could Be The Solution To Eagles Left Back Woes

As coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr continue his search for a long term solution to the left back issues of the team Hertha Berlin German-Nigerian rising star Jordan Torunarigha could be an option.

Nigeria are currently searching for options at left back as both Kingsley Madu and regular left back Elderson Echiejile are not getting games for their respective teams.

Yesterday Torunarigha was handed a rare start by coach Paul Dardai at left back, and the 19 year old nicknamed Berlin wall didn’t disappoint despite his team suffering a 1-4 drubbing at the hands of RB Leipzip.

Already a youth international for Germany, the defender who is nicknamed Berlin Wall has close ties with Nigeria as his father Ojokojo Torunarigha played for local side Shooting Stars in the 80’s.

Nigeria are yet to officially approached him over committing his future to the senior national team, but that it sure would if the left back issues persist in the team, and if Torunarigha maintains his career growth.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/07/torunarigha-dazzles-for-hertha-berlin-could-be-the-solution-to-eagles-left-back-woes/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:50pm On May 07, 2017
Neville On Leicester Star Ndidi – He’s The Closest I Have Seen To Yaya Toure

Former Manchester United and Everton defender Phil Neville says Leicester City star Wilfred Ndidi reminds him of a young Yaya Toure in his prime with the way he goes into goal scoring position from his deep role.

Ndidi struck for the third time this season by latching onto a poorly cleared ball in the box of Crystal Palace to put his team one goal up in their 3-0 thrashing of the Eagles.

Neville who was in the Premier League studio as a guest analyst hailed the instinct of Ndidi in the box, and also the way he has manage to add goals to his game since moving from Genk to Leicester City in January.

” He’s the closest to Yaya Toure in his prime, defensive minded players who can also score goals. He took the striker’s position in the box, and finished it up like one. He has obviously settled down quite quickly than most of us thought “, Neville said.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/07/neville-on-leicester-star-ndidi-hes-the-closest-i-have-seen-to-yaya-toure/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (906) (907) (908) (909) (910) (911) (912) ... (16533) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lovewins, shawwal1(m), elyte89, KpagoGIN(m), Napoleon55(m) and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.