Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,427 members, 7,932,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 05:13 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (831434 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 3:59pm On Jan 01, 2008
@samstone

hey. happy new year.

got the heads up on IGI from sources at proshareng.com. i elieve it to be a credible source. as i said earlier, a good number of the insurance companies will be making forays into the primary market this year. for many, it just seems like they think they have to (kinda like keeping up with the joneses). especially with the supposed return of their recapitalization dosh from the CBN announced late last yr.

for a lot of them i suppose the just can't get enough of OPM (OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY). but then again, i can't really blame them especially as hte banks have been occupying something of a monopoly in the primary market, the ins coys feel their time has finally come with the recap process in their sector and are hoping it does for them what the same process has done to the banking sector, making them the new darlings of the investors in '08
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:08pm On Jan 01, 2008
blueband:

I hear Firstbank is willing to pay interest on all returned monies.It's in todays champion

FBN is going to return 220B. If they give everybody just 5% interest, they just signed away one-third of their profits. I don't see it happening.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 4:12pm On Jan 01, 2008
@akt

Happy 2008!
There have been speculations that IGI will feel compelled to go public especially now the frozen money has been returned and the mere fact that PO is such a tempting and painfree way to get money, for now.
I certainly hope they go public. I want to realise some of my money tied down there.

Samstone4 cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 4:16pm On Jan 01, 2008
aktopgun:

@kpineo

about your comment on Mbenefit, not to worry, as long as u met your exit point when u sold it( from your tears, i'm guessing u didn't).

things like that will happen to the best of us and its really about your plan at the time u bought the shares.

not to worry, the opportunities will come round again in some other form. at that time, remember, set an exit price suitable for u and close your eyes thereafter should there be any price appreciation once u've sold.
all the best man

@Kpineo

This is a nice one from aktopgun.Never fret about what happens after.You'll only fret if you did not meet your target exit price.Once you strike your percentage objective,don't worry what happens after.I say this a lot,opportunities come up every single day on NSE,you just have to learn to see and pick it up.
Happy Newyear to you and everyone on nairaland.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 4:19pm On Jan 01, 2008
@Guys

I believe the closure date for oceanic bank was changed from the 16th of january to the 9th of january as announced on NSE on 28th December 2007. Unless the attached document contains a typo.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 4:26pm On Jan 01, 2008
@Blueband. Easimoni

If 1st bank cares about goodwill they will return some interest, even 5%.

They are saying that it is the issuing house that kept the money, not them. Likely story, as we used to say.

I applied only for rights and additional rights and got just about 4% despite the rights been only 140% subscribed. My loyalty has been sorely tested.

Do you guys know that the 1st bank staff received 1% brokerage for all application that went through them. MY PERSON had audacity to say she was doing me a favour in helping to retrieve my returned money. Got it myself now without telling her.

Samstone4 cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by diva4eva(f): 4:30pm On Jan 01, 2008
Pls anyone with news about Globe Re private placement. Is there hope for us that bought the pp and should we just forget about our money. pls help a sis in need cry cry cry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 4:33pm On Jan 01, 2008
@samstone4

i may have missed something, but how will IGI going public (if they do) make u any money? are u hoping to buy more from the P.O at a susidized price or are u hoping for a post TS bull run?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by diva4eva(f): 4:39pm On Jan 01, 2008
Please anyone with news about Globe Re private placement. Is there hope for us that bought the pp or should we just forget about our money. please help a sis in need cry cry cry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 4:45pm On Jan 01, 2008
samstone4:

@Blueband. Easimoni

If 1st bank cares about goodwill they will return some interest, even 5%.

They are saying that it is the issuing house that kept the money, not them. Likely story, as we used to say.

I applied only for rights and additional rights and got just about 4% despite the rights been only 140% subscribed. My loyalty has been sorely tested.

Do you guys know that the 1st bank staff received 1% brokerage for all application that went through them. MY PERSON had audacity to say she was doing me a favour in helping to retrieve my returned money. Got it myself now without telling her.

Samstone4 cool cool

@firstbank,I bought in 2 batches from 2 different branches of First Bank.I sent someone to the branches.I got my money from the first branch but from the second branch I was told my name was no where to be found.Meaning all my monies were absorbed.Can this be true?Does anyone know how I can confirm the number of shares I was alloted.I smell a rat in the second branch because the shares I bought there were far in excess of the first branch which returned 70% of my money.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 4:46pm On Jan 01, 2008
@Father of 2 & Aktopgun

your comments have been absorbed and digested.

@all
i was just studying the price movements of the ins coys. it seems it is a bit to late to jump on board unless a correction happens soon. e.g. crusader from N4 in november to N6 now. is it not a bit to late to jump on board. Unic from 2.35 in november to N4 now. which insurance coys still have hope of rising even higher.
@ father of 2
continental re has gained over N1 during the same period. anything in the offing to make it still a favoured one. what is the proposed time period. how soon do you think UBA's result will be out. will like to cycle out of phb and into uba then into gtb. abi how you check am. do you think uba can do N60 on the basis of their 1st quarter results.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 4:46pm On Jan 01, 2008
@samstone

first bank are really unlikely to return any interest on their much delayed and drawn out P.O in my opinion for the reason that it would set an uncomfortable precedence for other companies in the NSE to live up to, something they really can't do. plus there hasn't been any precedence of this before in ANY market that i know of.

what needs to happen is for the SEC to reign in these companies and get them to sign some sort of code of conduct of carrying out P.Os. people's hard earned funds shouldn't be tied up for so long and then be returned without them getting the shares they paid for.

sooner or later, this has to be looked at. Unfortunately(and i hate to say this), our lawmakers are not informed or savvy enough it seems to make these changes effectual. they make pronouncements they can't effect (like commanding MTN to immediately stop selling SIM card when the law clearly states that the regulation of the telecomms sector lies soleley with the NCC

something has gotta give soon, investors can't keep getting punished like this.
and about the goodwill thing u mentioned, don't think the companies really care that much cuz there's noone to make them care really.People will grumble, yes, but then it will only get swept away and its business as usual.  Eventually some sort of class action may be the eventual way to go.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 5:35pm On Jan 01, 2008
WANTED.

I need closing prices data from Oct 1 - Dec 28, 2007 in any format.

Before re-inventing the wheel. , I guess someone can send me a copy.

Please do if you this data, addy is ere_mak at yahoo.co.uk

Thanks ever so much ! wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 6:33pm On Jan 01, 2008
kpineo:

@Father of 2 & Aktopgun

your comments have been absorbed and digested.

@all
i was just studying the price movements of the ins coys. it seems it is a bit to late to jump on board unless a correction happens soon. e.g. crusader from N4 in november to N6 now. is it not a bit to late to jump on board. Unic from 2.35 in november to N4 now. which insurance coys still have hope of rising even higher.
@ father of 2
continental re has gained over N1 during the same period. anything in the offing to make it still a favoured one. what is the proposed time period. how soon do you think UBA's result will be out. will like to cycle out of phb and into uba then into gtb. abi how you check am. do you think uba can do N60 on the basis of their 1st quarter results.

Yes you're right about most of the insurance coys.Some are getting over priced.I still expect some 10-15% from continental-re in the next 1 week at the least.Some others need to come down a bit this january,besides that,its not insurance season yet.
Uba and PHb could release results about same time oh (prob. feb).It will be difficult to cycle both except you put money in both.UBA is still cheap at current price.
you could start taking position in gtb during the next descent in a few weeks time after its current rise.You have to keep your eyes very open for it,it will flash itself either at the begining or sometime during the feb month.
Na so i check am oh.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nimshi: 6:56pm On Jan 01, 2008
IGI PP certificates are out; that may be reason to suspect they'll be hitting the market soon with their IPO.

It's been a long wait for those who got on the IGI PP early; and there's the opportunity (hopefully,) to make a healthy margin.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 7:45pm On Jan 01, 2008
easimoni:

FBN is going to return 220B. If they give everybody just 5% interest, they just signed away one-third of their profits. I don't see it happening.

@ easimoni
You may want to read this.

http://www.independentngonline.com/?c=118&a=8199
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 8:02pm On Jan 01, 2008
Hello Everyone,

Happy New Year to all the members of this great forum. I pray that the Most High God in HIS infinite mercy will lead each and everyone of us to our CANAAN LAND this year, AMEN.

@ FATHER OF TWO, I can see that you have great confidence in CCNN, please could you shed more light on why you think one can still join the train at the present price(#23.00K).

And as per UBA, how far do you think it can go between now and February before it starts to drop again.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 8:03pm On Jan 01, 2008
Hello Everyone,

Happy New Year to all the members of this great forum. I pray that the Most High God in HIS infinite mercy will lead each and everyone of us to our CANAAN LAND this year, AMEN.

@ FATHER OF TWO, I can see that you have great confidence in CCNN, please could you shed more light on why you think one can still join the train at the present price(#23.00K).

And as per UBA, how far do you think it can go between now and February before it starts to drop again.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 8:21pm On Jan 01, 2008
Prince11:

WANTED.

I need closing prices data from Oct 1 - Dec 28, 2007 in any format.

Before re-inventing the wheel. , I guess someone can send me a copy.

Please do if you this data, addy is ere_mak at yahoo.co.uk

Thanks ever so much ! wink

I posted some data (from August) a couple of pages back. the attachment is called 'NSE.zip'
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 9:58pm On Jan 01, 2008
Access results are due out anytime now (I think it's been held back deliberatly for a Jan release). I expect Access to top N27
shortly. Also, this is a good time to take position with Zenith Bank. Once the TS is lifeted, expect a bull run.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 10:04pm On Jan 01, 2008
@All folks,
HAPPY NEW 2008,
more grease to our fingers and brains above all I pray we all make returns on our various investments,
@Aktopgun,
What are u doing here? Madam and Tochukwu nko?
Regards
Happy investing folks,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MAURI: 10:07pm On Jan 01, 2008
@ Easimoni

How much has FBN made as returns for having these funds at it's disposal for so long?
They are investors right? I don't believe they have stashed the monies away in some Ghana-must-go under  someone' bed, right?  wink

Happy New Yeal to all!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 10:16pm On Jan 01, 2008
@Bigjay01

Got it! thanks,

Have a look at the other tread about UBA brokers.
I think nairalanders can muster enough strength to up their quality of service.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 10:18pm On Jan 01, 2008
@all

Happy 2008, the Year of Fulfillment! Many thanks to everyone on the forum most especially the selfless tutors, " he that waters shall also be watered"

@ Naijadr, Man Jiro, Bigjay01
Thanks for recommending the Metastock application. I've successfully installed v10 but seem to be having some challenges using it. I've read the manual and viewed the online tutorials but it seems to work well with online data. I would appreciate if you could educate me (and the forum) on the following

1. where to get the NSE EOD data similar to the "NSE.zip" shared by Bigjay01
2. How to import it into the Metastock application
3. How to keep the data up to date

Thanks in advance.

Rgds
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 10:34pm On Jan 01, 2008
@AKTopgun

If IGI does an IPO, the listing price will almost invariably be substantially higher than the PP price.
This practice is not unique to Transcorp, as many would have us believe.
Even when the shares are listed by introduction to the exchange the price almost always rises rapidly due to scarcity until the PO.

@Blueband, AKT & all Nairalanders

Apparently, official statement by one Hafez Bakare on Monday confirms 1st Bank will pay 5% annualised interest i.e about 2.5% of the money returned - working on 6 months.

As for the application at 2 branches, I assume you did not use the same name of both of them!
It is not possible that you get a refund from the smaller application and not from the bigger. I suspect the batch that includes your second branch is just not ready yet.
Authorise your agent to go to 1st Registrars at Abebe Village Road, Iganmu, Lagos and ask.
I don't suspect foul play although my patience with the Bank has been sorely tested by this debacle.

Let's hope the interest comes through - Sharpish, as we say in the British Army.

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 10:37pm On Jan 01, 2008
[i][/i]HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
MUCHAS FELICIDAD,QUE DIOS BENDIGA A TUDOS.
IT GOING TO BE A YEAR OF REALISED SWEET DREAMS TO ALL.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 11:26pm On Jan 01, 2008
tonyjon:

Hello Everyone,

Peace.

Did you miss the 9 month result for ccnn.Surprising considering the sectors current performance.
Also i expect wapco to rub off on it by Feb.
But wait for the next cycle of descent on that stock before a MUST entrance.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:14am On Jan 02, 2008
FatherOF2:

Did you miss the 9 month result for ccnn.Surprising considering the sectors current performance.
Also i expect wapco to rub off on it by Feb.
But wait for the next cycle of descent on that stock before a MUST entrance.

I had to go check out CCNN again but I can't find anything good.

Technically, the company declared a loss in Q-3 2007. 189M PAT for Q-2 2007 and then 117M PAT in Q-3 2007.

The forward PE is now 186, the worst by far in the sector.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ManJiro(m): 5:51am On Jan 02, 2008
koksieboy:

@all

Happy 2008, the Year of Fulfillment! Many thanks to everyone on the forum most especially the selfless tutors, " he that waters shall also be watered"

@ Naijadr, Man Jiro, Bigjay01
Thanks for recommending the Metastock application. I've successfully installed v10 but seem to be having some challenges using it. I've read the manual and viewed the online tutorials but it seems to work well with online data. I would appreciate if you could educate me (and the forum) on the following

1. where to get the NSE EOD data similar to the "NSE.zip" shared by Bigjay01
2. How to import it into the Metastock application
3. How to keep the data up to date

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

Attached is an excel sheet with Macro to do the formationg for you. After the formating and saving, use Aptistock to upload the file.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Favour08(m): 7:41am On Jan 02, 2008
@ Zenith Securities Users

Anyone on this forum having problems placing on-line orders on  Zenith Securities website. My order mandates keep reappearing even after i cancel it. Stocks are being bought repeatedly. Very strange. Everything started after their site upgrade.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 8:15am On Jan 02, 2008
@ Fatherof2,

Happy new year to you Baba. My prayers is that we all harvest and reap multiple folds of returns in terms of capital appreciation and blessings this wonderful new year, 2008.

Stashing the cash ready for the big one you promised.

Regards to your family and God's blessings be with you

Amen.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by walcolm(m): 8:21am On Jan 02, 2008
FatherOF2:

@ easimoni
You may want to read this.

http://www.independentngonline.com/?c=118&a=8199

@Blueband & easimoni,

the return is 5% annualised interest aka per annum; which means, they'd probably calculate from the day the offer officially opened to the official allotment day (about 6 weeks in all). if you do the interest rate calculation on the portion of your money that would be returned to you, you'd find that it wont clean out a tenth of the quarterly profit.

i expect it will happen but that interest portion will probably not come until May/June 2008

Happy NEW YEAR Y'all

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.