Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,870 members, 7,879,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 01:34 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (278) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (822551 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 4:02pm On Jan 02, 2008
anybody wants to sell AIICO, cash in hand, grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by osegha1: 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2008
how can u calculate brokers commision pls give a good example of any transaction
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ManJiro(m): 4:14pm On Jan 02, 2008
upward:

I've got aptistock and I just checked out the excelsheet that man jiro uploaded for the macro, I just can't seem to understand the stuff. Please can someone help.

Oga pumping i de greet-o, sent you a mail.

I just sent another sheet: delete the old one.

In Aptistock, NSE is not preloaded.

What you can do is to create your NSE and input the stock symbols you desire. This should be the same as the symbols in the Zenith file you intend to use as input: even an extra space makes a lot of difference

After doing so, go to program files -- aptistock -- data and create a folder for your stock market (NSE or whatever you like: just be consistent).

Go to the data downloader and locate the source data file and specify the destination folder by choosing the market: avoid suffix option

Import: If download happens, then you are good to go.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 4:20pm On Jan 02, 2008
kpineo:

@ Father of 2
i beg to differ on this eterna oil. with the result below, it shows they are posting a loss. is there something i don't now.
ETERNA OIL AND GAS PLC
3RD QUARTER RESULTS ENDED 30TH SEPTEMBER 2007
                      2007      2006     %CHANGE
TURNOVER             N4.4b      N1.9m      134
PROFIT BEFORE TAX  (N76.5m)     N40.4m    (289)
TAXATION           (N24.5m)    (N12.9m)     89
PROFIT AFTER TAX   (N49.0m)     N27.5m    (278)

So did i.I know about this very very well.I saw something else.Worry not my brother.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by fistof: 4:20pm On Jan 02, 2008
Please where is the best place to go for change of Address?. Is it at the registrar or CSCS?

1. I bought Zenith with my old address and sometimes in September I went to Zenith Registrar to change the address to my P.O. Box, but I was surprised that the bonus Issue was sent to the old address. I also thought that since I have verified my share certificate that the bonus should have been credited to my cscs account. Do I have to give the registrar my CSCS account number?

2. If you buy on the floor and dividend is declared where will your warrant be sent to?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by upward(m): 4:23pm On Jan 02, 2008
Thanks Man jiro, I'll take time and try it out. Sure will let you know how it goes.
Man Jiro:

What you can do is to create your NSE and input the stock symbols you desire. This should be the same as the symbols in the Zenith file you intend to use as input: even an extra space makes a lot of difference

After doing so, go to program files -- aptistock -- data and create a folder for your stock market (NSE or whatever you like: just be consistent).

Go to the data downloader and locate the source data file and specify the destination folder by choosing the market: avoid suffix option

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 4:24pm On Jan 02, 2008
Hi Pumping,

I can see you online.  You are welcome from the brief holiday.

Just a brief question.  i can see that Ikeja Hotels looks undervalued at the present price.  What do you think?
Kind regards
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:20pm On Jan 02, 2008
Man Jiro:

You dey try o.

I got round the few glitches in the first one and was happy enough with it. This one is making the whole process a piece of cake. This great.

Thanks for sharing.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 5:21pm On Jan 02, 2008
steeviee:

compliments all

guys i intend buying some amounts of livestock.  does anyone have any clue about its fundamentals?

many thanks for you help

dont have much info except this below which i got from Bizday :

The firm is the leading producer of livestock feeds in Nigeria.

Plans to reopen Kaduna mill to boost production capacity and improve market share and accesssibility.

Plans to icrease production from the present average of 4.5 metric tonnes per hour@ three key operating mills.

Apparently the firm is expanding but i dont have projections as to when the expansion will impact the Topline and bottom line.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:25pm On Jan 02, 2008
Mr. Risky:

Hi Pumping,

I can see you online.  You are welcome from the brief holiday.

Just a brief question.  i can see that Ikeja Hotels looks undervalued at the present price.  What do you think?
Kind regards

So far, Ikeja Hotels does not maintain a premium PE like some other stocks. This may not happen until a consistent high growth rate is established.

With the information we know right now, I think the stock does not have so much more room short term to rise. Long term, the full year results may make things happen.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 5:29pm On Jan 02, 2008
pumping777:

So far, Ikeja Hotels does not maintain a premium PE like some other stocks. This may not happen until a consistent high growth rate is established.

With the information we know right now, I think the stock does not have so much more room short term to rise. Long term, the full year results may make things happen.

Thanks Pumping,

That's why you exceptional in this forum. Keep your great values up. Regards
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by igetwicked: 5:32pm On Jan 02, 2008
I am thinking of entering Equity Assurance.Is it a good buy for the short term?
What of Diamond Bank and FCMB at their current price for short term.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 5:35pm On Jan 02, 2008
For a 9-month investment from now which of the following would you choose and why?

C I Leasing
Vitafoam
BOC Gas
R T Briscoe
Nig German Chem
Law Union
Diamond Bank
7Up Bottling
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 5:57pm On Jan 02, 2008
looks like the market is buzzing right now.
@ easimoni,
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
abeg where can i learn how to plot charts with excel, i need it importantly for my RSI learning.its easier that way instead of always calculating over 14 days evry time,.
and also, whats the importance of OBV, investopedia doesnt say much.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:02pm On Jan 02, 2008
Shig,
I think it may just be easeir to move to the APISTOCK software as some on this thread have reommended. Excel takes toooo long to learn and apply to the market + it is way too cumbersome to update.

Pumping/Man Jiro/Najiadr,
could someone repost (or start a new thread containing) all the resources to get up and running with APISTOCK; location for download, macros, etc.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:04pm On Jan 02, 2008
shigidi:

looks like the market is buzzing right now.
@ easimoni,
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
abeg where can i learn how to plot charts with excel, i need it importantly for my RSI learning.its easier that way instead of always calculating over 14 days evry time,.
and also, whats the importance of OBV, investopedia doesnt say much.

Happy new year. You are welcome back.

I was very lazy about these charts but Man Jiro has delivered. Use his formating sheet with AptiStock and voila!!! You will also find the data from August to last week of December posted earlier. It will take less than 5 minutes to update the data for subsequent days.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 6:18pm On Jan 02, 2008
@ Man Jiro et Pumping 777,

Any chance you can send the formating sheet to moi @ goodlife101@hotmail.co.uk.

Much appreciated.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:21pm On Jan 02, 2008
easimoni:

Shig,
I think it may just be easeir to move to the APISTOCK software as some on this thread have reommended. Excel takes toooo long to learn and apply to the market + it is way too cumbersome to update.

Pumping/Man Jiro/Najiadr,
could someone repost (or start a new thread containing) all the resources to get up and running with APISTOCK; location for download, macros, etc.

Download AptiStock from here.

http://www.aptistock.com/

It is free.

Download the zip file from bigjay01 (Thanks a lot. This is great!), unzip and save on your local drive.

This has data from 1st August till 21st December 2007.

After installing Aptistock, go to "Tools", then "Datadownloader". Click on "Import", then "Browser".

Change file type to CSV and select the NSE.CSV file saved earlier.

Tick "other market" and fill in as an example "NSE" so all your stocks are listed in this folder/exchange. (In Aptistock you will find whatever you fill in here listed under files tab on the left hand side just as you will find NYSE etc. If you click on this, you get a list of your securities. After uploading new data, you can right click this node and "refresh".)

Click import and you should have all the data populated. If this is populated correctly go to the folder (depending on your installation folder), AptiStock\Data\NSE and you will find a CSV file created for each security.

Now using the formating excel sheet man jiro has blessed us with, collect the data for each trading day (one day at a time - You only have about 6 days to be up to date on 2nd January, 2008 from December 21st 2007) from Zenith securities and format in csv format as described by man jiro. Wicked. I have attached the latest formating sheet as well.

One thing that I found and several errors trying to import the file. You need to change the date format to YYYYMMDD on the CSV file if it is not in this format. The new formating sheet takes care of this though. It does not really have to be formatted. As an example, for today, just type in 20080102 in the first date field and copy this to all the fields below. You don't need any formatting here really. When you copy data from the formatting excel sheet, just accept the destination formating. When copying data from Zenith securities to the formating excel also, just accept the destination formatting.

Now import this new formatted file as you did the NSE.CSV file. Remember to tick the "NSE" flag again so that you don't create new folders. You just want to update the existing CSV files created earlier.  The best thing is that it will update each CSV file created earlier with the new information you have imported.

I hope I am clear enough. Took me a little while to get the hang of it. If anything is not clear, ask on the forum and I'll see if I have an idea.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lumidii: 6:58pm On Jan 02, 2008
Kudos to all on here. Its a shame the APTISTOCK software isn't compatible with VISTA, only XP and WINDOWS 2000. Is there any way round this compatibility issue?, would one have to wait for an updated version that would be VISTA compliant?
Many thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by steeviee(m): 7:02pm On Jan 02, 2008
thanks barge

barge:

don't have much info except this below which i got from Bizday :

Plans to reopen Kaduna mill to boost production capacity and improve market share and accesssibility.

Plans to icrease production from the present average of 4.5 metric tonnes per hour@ three key operating mills.

Apparently the firm is expanding but i don't have projections as to when the expansion will impact the Topline and bottom line.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:16pm On Jan 02, 2008
lumidii:

Kudos to all on here. Its a shame the APTISTOCK software isn't compatible with VISTA, only XP and WINDOWS 2000. Is there any way round this compatibility issue?, would one have to wait for an updated version that would be VISTA compliant?
Many thanks

If it's not Vista compliant, it's DOA for me. LAptop runs vista cry angry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:25pm On Jan 02, 2008
barge:

don't have much info except this below which i got from Bizday :

Apparently the firm is expanding but i don't have projections as to when the expansion will impact the Topline and bottom line.

I will not recommend Livestock feeds for now long term. It is a great cycling stock so if this is the plan, go on ahead. Buy close to N3.20 and sell close to N3.80.

Otherwise, all the points listed above were circulating for the company since over a year ago but nothing has been delivered. The recent performance of the company has been poor and I cannot see any indication of an immediate turnaround. Exceptional items are being used to boost PAT and even with that the performance is poor.

I know there are plans for expansion but joining now will be just a guessing game.

This is a recent announcement about Livestock.

"A total of 630,519,000 shares were added to the shares outstanding in the name of Livestock Feeds Plc on Thursday, November 22, 2007 following the Placing with three Investors."

The company now has about 1.2B outstanding shares with a forward PE of around 95. Very high for an industry average of around 25.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:27pm On Jan 02, 2008
lumidii:

Many thanks

Did you get a hard error during the installation?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 7:36pm On Jan 02, 2008
What is happening to GTB, , how far can it go before another cycle, ?

Need advice whether to stay clear or not?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by masaroke: 7:45pm On Jan 02, 2008
Merry new year and happy xmas to u all
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:04pm On Jan 02, 2008
WOW! A very happy and prosperous new year to you all! I had a lot of fun during this xmas and holiday season now I have to repent and hit the gym . . . grin

@Kpineo, you're simply great! Thanks for posting those bid/offer documents. Marvelous!

@Pumping: I got to look at the BGL prospectus and wasn't too impressed. Future plans seem good but the question on my mind was: is it the same folks that have been running the business that will be generating the returns they're projecting? Because going by the historical returns, they've not been doing that great of a job, even during the 2005/2006 bull years. I know they're aggressively recruiting, but I'm not seeing much of that happening at the top decision-making levels. There were also other issues I had problems with, especially with the private equity biz they're planning. Going by how long it takes to open and close a fund, I'm guessing that at least 3months would have elapsed before they close their first fund. How much of the fees will be included in 2008's result -- assuming they earn any at all, since the bulk of it would be performance based and it would be difficult to get any meaningful performance in a period as short as 12months or less? Looks like those assumptions are really AGGRESSIVE. Pls holla and let me know your thoughts.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 8:06pm On Jan 02, 2008
Daily stock position

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:09pm On Jan 02, 2008
Prince11:

What is happening to GTB, , how far can it go before another cycle, ?

Need advice whether to stay clear or not?

Nothing is happening to GTB, train left 8 trading days ago. STEER CLEAR.
Wait for next cycle,it'll soon complete 10 profit trading days.
The next train will pickup the last set of passengers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drdaniel(m): 8:09pm On Jan 02, 2008
pumping777:

Did you get a hard error during the installation?
Happy New Yr to all.
May this be our best yr ever on NSE.
I was able to install aptistock on vista syst and create the mkt and and uopload the symbols.
Problem is I ve never been able to import the NSE.csv file manjiro made. Whenever it starts importing, it stops responding midway.My laptop has a centrino duo processor with 1 gb RAM.
Any suggestions from the house? Man Jiro, Big Jay01 et all
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:20pm On Jan 02, 2008
drdaniel:

Happy New Yr to all.
May this be our best yr ever on NSE.
I was able to install aptistock on vista syst and create the mkt and and uopload the symbols.
Problem is I ve never been able to import the NSE.csv file manjiro made. Whenever it starts importing, it stops responding midway.My laptop has a centrino duo processor with 1 gb RAM.
Any suggestions from the house? Man Jiro, Big Jay01 et all

What errors are reported after the import fails? The underlying window will display the errors. These are small files and minor processes. Resource will not be an issue for your computer.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:20pm On Jan 02, 2008
@Fatherof2 how you dey? How are the "2" and their mom?

With regard to ccnn and eterna oil, what do you see that i'm possibly not seeing? pls share  smiley wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:23pm On Jan 02, 2008
kpineo:

anybody wants to sell AIICO, cash in hand,  grin grin

Yam?? grin Wait till after TS. But who knows, miracles still happen . . . smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.