Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,211 members, 7,880,778 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:40 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (279) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (822749 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:26pm On Jan 02, 2008
windywendy:

WOW! A very happy and prosperous new year to you all! I had a lot of fun during this xmas and holiday season now I have to repent and hit the gym . . . grin

@Pumping: I got to look at the BGL prospectus and wasn't too impressed. Future plans seem good but the question on my mind was: is it the same folks that have been running the business that will be generating the returns they're projecting? Because going by the historical returns, they've not been doing that great of a job, even during the 2005/2006 bull years. I know they're aggressively recruiting, but I'm not seeing much of that happening at the top decision-making levels. There were also other issues I had problems with, especially with the private equity biz they're planning. Going by how long it takes to open and close a fund, I'm guessing that at least 3months would have elapsed before they close their first fund. How much of the fees will be included in 2008's result -- assuming they earn any at all, since the bulk of it would be performance based and it would be difficult to get any meaningful performance in a period as short as 12months or less? Looks like those assumptions are really AGGRESSIVE. Please holla and let me know your thoughts.

I eventually let it pass. My main concern is the time table for listing on the NSE.

The plan to list in 24  months is too long away for me. For all we know it could take up to 3-4 years. Locking in 7M for 3 years or even longer does not gel with me. This is my main concern.

They are my brokers and it's been a very good relationship so far.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:33pm On Jan 02, 2008
pumping777:

I eventually let it pass. My main concern is the time table for listing on the NSE.

The plan to list in 24  months is too long away for me. For all we know it could take up to 3-4 years. Locking in 7M for 3 years or even longer does not gel with me. This is my main concern.

They are my brokers and it's been a very good relationship so far.

Ok thanks! I see your point. For one to tie money down that long, the deal has to be thoroughly spick-and-span, if you get what I mean , which is why I closely scrutinized the doc. Not too impressive at all for me.

BGL is your broker? Do they have facilities to view one's account online? How do you get daily updates on your trades? Also, how fast are they with execution? I'm thinking of having a second broker and am seriously considering BGL. Plan to speak with them tomorrow. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 8:43pm On Jan 02, 2008
@Pumping, Man Jiro, Bigjay01, Naijadr et al

It's so amazing how selfless you guys are, ever ready to share your wealth of knowledge and assist others. God bless you. Thanks for the formating spreadsheet, it makes the whole charting task a piece of cake.

I use the Metastock application because of its Expert advisor feature that interprete the charts automatically, is there a way to import the formatted data into Metastock?

Rgds
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:45pm On Jan 02, 2008
windywendy:

Ok thanks! I see your point. For one to tie money down that long, the deal has to be thoroughly spick-and-span, if you get what I mean , which is why I closely scrutinized the doc. Not too impressive at all for me.

BGL is your broker? Do they have facilities to view one's account online? How do you get daily updates on your trades? Also, how fast are they with execution? I'm thinking of having a second broker and am seriously considering BGL. Plan to speak with them tomorrow. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good and bad news there.

They had an excellent online facilty but it has been down for about a month now. According to my Account Officer, they are upgrading to a better software and once they are done, one will be able to do everything online. No need to contact your Account officer.

I was happy with what they had before. You can immediately see if they have placed an order for you and if it has been processed successfully. This shows up same day on their website. From the website, you can navigate to your CSCS account and verify that what you are seeing on their website corresponds with what CSCS has.

Most of the time, my orders are excecuted same day. I just send an email to my Relationship Officer. By the time I check my CSCS account by end of the day, I can see that most of my trades have been executed.

I'm eagerly waiting for them to go online again. The main draw back  right now is that I have to request my Naira statements manually to know my cash position.

One very good thing is that they always seem to buy close to the low price of the day and sell close to the high price of the day. A very good thing for me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 8:48pm On Jan 02, 2008
Hi Madam Windy,

It's nice to see you on board again.  Wish you a blessed 2008.  Can we ever stop nagging you!  I see AG Leventis closed today at 5.35.  Do you still see it as a good entry point for a 9 month outlook?  Wish you can give us the gist about this stock once again.

You are welcome.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:51pm On Jan 02, 2008
windywendy:

@Fatherof2 how you dey? How are the "2" and their mom?

With regard to ccnn and eterna oil, what do you see that i'm possibly not seeing? please share  smiley wink

Ah my dear sister welcome back from enjoyment.
I feel cool breeze sweep pass me wen i see the name (windy).
The 2 are fine,one sleeping on my chest now.
As per ccnn you've already seen the 9months for it.i actually expect a rub off effect on it this feb.
for eterna,that loss wasn't an operational loss. It has good prospects.
Also my pc just blinked its name at N16.Really cheap.I actually plan to squeeze out some nice percentage from it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:52pm On Jan 02, 2008
pumping777:

Good and bad news there.

They had an excellent online facilty but it has been down for about a month now. According to my Account Officer, they are upgrading to a better software and once they are done, one will be able to do everything online. No need to contact your Account officer.

I was happy with what they had before. You can immediately see if they have placed an order for you and if it has been processed successfully. This shows up same day on their website. From the website, you can navigate to your CSCS account and verify that what you are seeing on their website corresponds with what CSCS has.

Most of the time, my orders are excecuted same day. I just send an email to my Relationship Officer. By the time I check my CSCS account by end of the day, I can see that most of my trades have been executed.

I'm eagerly waiting for them to go online again. The main draw back  right now is that I have to request my Naira statements manually to know my cash position.

One very good thing is that they always seem to buy close to the low price of the day and sell close to the high price of the day. A very good thing for me.

Thanks a lot for this info! And God bless you for your generosity with all the information that you share on this forum -- I've just been reading through your other contributions. You're a really good man!.

From what you've said, BGL doesn't seem too bad. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. Thanks!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 8:53pm On Jan 02, 2008
@all

For those running Vista, you may consider using virtualisation software e.g. Virtual PC (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx) or VMware Workstation (www.vmware.com) to install a virtual machine running Windows XP in order to use Aptistock.

Virtual PC is free but I personally prefer Vmware as it supports non-windows OS such as linux, Solaris etc as guest OS but its not free.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:55pm On Jan 02, 2008
Mr. Risky:

Hi Madam Windy,

It's nice to see you on board again. Wish you a blessed 2008. Can we ever stop nagging you! I see AG Leventis closed today at 5.35. Do you still see it as a good entry point for a 9 month outlook? Wish you can give us the gist about this stock once again.

You are welcome.

I think the stock still has some upside potential even at 5.35 (and that's if you get it grin). But the year end results will be released sometime in April, so if you're in for the short term, you might want to sell sometime around that time. I personally think the fair value of that stock is somewhere between 10-12 naira. Wish you a blessed 2008 as well.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drdaniel(m): 8:56pm On Jan 02, 2008
pumping777:

What errors are reported after the import fails? The underlying window will display the errors. These are small files and minor processes. Resource will not be an issue for your computer.
@ pumping,
the program begins importing the data and somewhere along the line there is a vista message that the data downloader has encountered a problem and stopped responding and will close. Meanwhile the error dialog box on aptistock does not show any message after the initial message before importing.I dont know whethher its a vista issue.Has anyone using vista successfully run aptistock.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jungle700: 8:56pm On Jan 02, 2008
Can someone in the house pls provide CCNN right issues allotment? - I heard it was 260% oversubscribed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 9:03pm On Jan 02, 2008
FatherOF2:

Ah my dear sister welcome back from enjoyment.
I feel cool breeze sweep pass me when i see the name (windy).
The 2 are fine,one sleeping on my chest now.
As per ccnn you've already seen the 9months for it.i actually expect a rub off effect on it this feb.
for eterna,that loss wasn't an operational loss. It has good prospects.
Also my pc just blinked its name at N16.Really cheap.I actually plan to squeeze out some nice percentage from it.

Fatherof2, thanks! Abeg make you close your window o, make cool breeze no make the sleeping pickin catch cold  grin

OK CCNN has a point. but the last dividend they paid was 10k. Nothing for 2006 even after rights issue. They even made a loss. But then again, maybe it's a turnaround situation we're looking at. Any rumors in the horizon?

As for eterna, i'm not sure I understand what you mean by " the loss wasn't operational loss". Pls explain further. Do they have a heavy debt burden? the trend of their quarterly profits was downward. Why is this? didn't they just raise funds via a PO? Any thing on the horizon? Abeg no vex say i dey ask too many questions oh, na curiousity cause am.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by X2X(m): 9:06pm On Jan 02, 2008
Man Jiro:

Attached is an excel sheet with Macro to do the formationg for you. After the formating and saving, use Aptistock to upload the file.

Merci Beacoup!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2008
@ Man Jiro, Pumping777 - A big thank you for the excel files and your generosity.

@ X-2-X - see Pumping's post above. It has the attachments.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gudchoice: 9:12pm On Jan 02, 2008
@ all - Does anyone have an idea what can be considered a conservative amount to buy into AIICO offer without getting funds returned? Seeing that they are only offering the public 20%, whilst 80% is already taken up.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:18pm On Jan 02, 2008
koksieboy:

@Pumping, Man Jiro, Bigjay01, Naijadr et al

It's so amazing how selfless you guys are, ever ready to share your wealth of knowledge and assist others. God bless you. Thanks for the formating spreadsheet, it makes the whole charting task a piece of cake.

I use the Metastock application because of its Expert advisor feature that interprete the charts automatically, is there a way to import the formatted data into Metastock?

Rgds

I'm also trying to load the data into metastock but no luck yet. I need just one thing.  A valid excel or CSV format that will work for the conversion. It is not accepting the CSV files. Does anyone know the standard ASCII Metastock format that metastock will accept to convert to metastock format??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 9:21pm On Jan 02, 2008
drdaniel:

@ pumping,
the program begins importing the data and somewhere along the line there is a vista message that the data downloader has encountered a problem and stopped responding and will close. Meanwhile the error dialog box on aptistock does not show any message after the initial message before importing.I don't know whethher its a vista issue.Has anyone using vista successfully run aptistock.

Unfortunately I don't use vista, so not able to help you here.

For all whom it works for

My ealier NSE.zip has only data but you can use the attacched file for Symbol description. Click on Tools > Data downloader > Edit Sym list > import. then locate a tab delimited text file with 2 cols (Symbol & descripton). This will tag the company name to each security when you produce the charts.

I have been informed (by Naijadr) that 'Equis Metastock' (by Reuters) does a better job by interpreting the charts. I hope to lay my hands on it by tomorrow. I'll let the house know when I've given it a spin.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 9:30pm On Jan 02, 2008
Manjiro thanks so much for that excel file
bigjay that NSE data is amazing thanks much
I'm going back and forth btw Aptistock and Metastock, like koksieboy stated, I like that expert feature that just reads the chart, but still trying to get a hang of it all.
I usually have to convert it to metastock format using its converter that comes with the application. I use excel format and convert it to Metastock EOD format, have u tried that pumping?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 9:39pm On Jan 02, 2008
pumping777:

I'm also trying to load the data into metastock but no luck yet. I need just one thing.  A valid excel or CSV format that will work for the conversion. It is not accepting the CSV files. Does anyone know the standard ASCII Metastock format that metastock will accept to convert to metastock format??

which OS are using? XP/Vista?. if you are using XP, then you shouldnt have any problem. If you are using my NSE.csv,

1. Tools
2. Data downloader
3. Import
4. File Select > Browser ( to NSE.csv)
5. Other Market > NSE
6. Import

To tag the security description, repeat steps 1 - 2
3. Edit Sym List
4. Import > locate file 'description' (posted earlier).

One other thing I did is to remove all other stock markets, repeat steps 1 - 2
3. Market Edit
4. Select a preexisting market
5. I added NSE and deleted all other markets (click one it gets highlighted, select and delete)

Woheeee , bob is your uncle
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2008
Naijadr:

I'm going back and forth between Aptistock and Metastock, like koksieboy stated, I like that expert feature that just reads the chart, but still trying to get a hang of it all.
I usually have to convert it to metastock format using its converter that comes with the application. I use excel format and convert it to Metastock EOD format, have u tried that pumping?

I've tried to use the metastock converter to load the NSE data too unsuccessfully. The only thing that worked was to save each individual securities in the NSe.zip file as a different CSV file and upload into metastock individually. I'm currently playing around with Metastock Converter v1.3 to convert the NSE data into metastock format.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 9:44pm On Jan 02, 2008
You mustnt use the converter
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 9:47pm On Jan 02, 2008
Naijadr:

I'm going back and forth between Aptistock and Metastock, like koksieboy stated, I like that expert feature that just reads the chart, but still trying to get a hang of it all.

You mustnt use the converter, I already have daily data in seperate excel sheets, I wrote a script that populates a one line formular (of vlookups) into hundreds of line of different dates & diferent securities in metastock EOD format.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hispy99(m): 9:49pm On Jan 02, 2008
@Pumping

I am thinking of having a 2nd broker too. What's the min requirement for BGL?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:54pm On Jan 02, 2008
bigjay01:

which OS are using? XP/Vista?. if you are using XP, then you shouldnt have any problem. If you are using my NSE.csv,

1. Tools
2. Data downloader
3. Import
4. File Select > Browser ( to NSE.csv)
5. Other Market > NSE
6. Import

To tag the security description, repeat steps 1 - 2
3. Edit Sym List
4. Import > locate file 'description' (posted earlier).

One other thing I did is to remove all other stock markets, repeat steps 1 - 2
3. Market Edit
4. Select a preexisting market
5. I added NSE and deleted all other markets (click one it gets highlighted, select and delete)

Woheeee , bob is your uncle

Funny when I try to update the symbols list, Aptistock crashes on me.

koksieboy:

I've tried to use the metastock converter to load the NSE data too unsuccessfully. The only thing that worked was to save each individual securities in the NSe.zip file as a different CSV file and upload into metastock individually. I'm currently playing around with Metastock Converter v1.3 to convert the NSE data into metastock format.

Ok. One at a time is working for me now but I can't proceed this way.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 10:02pm On Jan 02, 2008
koksieboy:

try following the steps i suggested earlier, you shouldnt need to save csv files individually, the program does it for you. Also when you update the NSE.csv file. You can add more data to NSE.csv (say before 01/08/07 or after 21/12/07, or even add new securities with new dates) the program will do a update the individual csv files or create a new one if a new security data was added to NSE.csv. Pokerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 10:06pm On Jan 02, 2008
bigjay01:

try following the steps i suggested earlier, you shouldnt need to save csv files individually, the program does it for you. Also when you update the NSE.csv file. You can add more data to NSE.csv (say before 01/08/07 or after 21/12/07, or even add new securities with new dates) the program will do a update the individual csv files or creating a new one if a new security data was added to NSE.csv. Pokerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm running metastock in a Windows Vista Virtual Machine, maybe that's why I'm having the problems. I'm installing it in a Windows XP virtual Machine now and will let you knoe how I get on.

Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 10:22pm On Jan 02, 2008
@pumping 777
thanks for the tutorial on using aptistock. the thing na magic
@bigjay01
bros, thanks for all your formatting skills.
to the man who discovered aptistock, like mungo park your name shalll be written in history for this great discovery.
excel don wan kill person before.

@all
it had earlier been mentioned on this thread that once RSI reaches 70 it is best to dump the stock.therefore intercontinental is already over sold. access bank still has room for growth etc.
am i interpreting the charts properly. my other question is which RSI should one follow 9,11 or 25.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 10:52pm On Jan 02, 2008
Favour08:

@ Zenith Securities Users

Anyone on this forum having problems placing on-line orders on  Zenith Securities website. My order mandates keep reappearing even after i cancel it. Stocks are being bought repeatedly. Very strange. Everything started after their site upgrade.

@Favour08

I'm one of those affected by Zenith Securities' software upgrade probs.

Was there today;met with the Chief Operations Officer.He was appologetic and promised that rectification would be done in a couple

of days.

His numbers:

Mobile: 08023049774
Tel:      01-2782975
DL:      01-2783162

Lets hope they come through angry.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by manc(m): 11:01pm On Jan 02, 2008
I am yet to receive my certificate for TRANSCORP's IPO. This makes me sick considering that I have already lost more than 50% of my investiment going by the current price, at least I should have my certificate.

Please I need an advice on how to go about finding out what has happened. Please if anyone has the address and/or phone number of their registerer abeg make him helep meooo!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 11:03pm On Jan 02, 2008
kpineo:

@pumping 777
thanks for the tutorial on using aptistock. the thing na magic
@bigjay01
bros, thanks for all your formatting skills.
to the man who discovered aptistock, like mungo park your name shalll be written in history for this great discovery.
excel don wan kill person before.

@all
it had earlier been mentioned on this thread that once RSI reaches 70 it is best to dump the stock.therefore intercontinental is already over sold. access bank still has room for growth etc.
am i interpreting the charts properly. my other question is which RSI should one follow 9,11 or 25.

Do you know you can customise these parameters to your liking? Tools > Indicator parameter settings.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Favour08(m): 11:06pm On Jan 02, 2008
@krruch,

Do you know if it's Zenith securities practice to purchase stocks over funds available in your account. I just experienced this and my account is overdrawn. Fine with me though. Also is the C.O.O The Ogunf----- guy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 11:10pm On Jan 02, 2008
bigjay01:

try following the steps i suggested earlier, you shouldnt need to save csv files individually, the program does it for you. Also when you update the NSE.csv file. You can add more data to NSE.csv (say before 01/08/07 or after 21/12/07, or even add new securities with new dates) the program will do a update the individual csv files or create a new one if a new security data was added to NSE.csv. Pokerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

How do you get all the data in one csv file? I end up with a single file for each security after uploading the NSE.csv file into Aptistock.

Also, how do you convert the single NSE.csv file with multiple securities into metastock format

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.