Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,736 members, 7,941,781 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 01:16 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (315) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (832747 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 1:45am On Jan 11, 2008
@ Windywendy et-al

It wont surprise me to see Acorn been oversubscribe at the end of the day, especially with so many JJC's on NSE nowadays, and with the title attached to the name Acorn “petroleum” this is enough to push the PP to high heaven.    grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:29am On Jan 11, 2008
@omoba3  - You disagree with me come follow with  grin. Sure say you no be politician?  grin grin

Anyway I don't know why you disagree. Do you know how many units I will buy? I have told you the caveat. Don't buy too many units. As an example don't buy more than 5,000 units of Zenith in each tranch. If you need 5 million units, be ready for 1,000 applications. This is unreasonable of course so be reasonable and apply for less units.

If you have 5 names, you can conveniently go for 25,000 units of Zenith. It is not a lot but it is reasonable to minimize returned money.

As an example I subscribed for 35,000 units from the First bank PO (dumb decision) and got only about N170K returned in total. I am not complaining.

It would not have been smart if I was looking for 100,000 units from the PO. If I needed more I should have gone to the secondary market or organized more children (and spouses if necessary) quick quick grin grin.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 2:47am On Jan 11, 2008
@pumping 777

@any takers on-line

What say you sir,about my theory that Zenith's "beating" in terms of relative profitability/greater earnings amongst recent Q results of its peers,is only a reflection of the fact that the others have had more time to utilize the huger funds avalability post PO.

In other words,subsequent Q results should reflect for Zenith,a catch-up to its peers' sterling results.Dont you think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:58am On Jan 11, 2008
Krrush:

@pumping 777

@any takers on-line

What say you sir,about my theory that Zenith's "beating" in terms of relative profitability/greater earnings amongst recent Q results of its peers,is only a reflection of the fact that the others have had more time to utilize the huger funds avalability post PO.

In other words,subsequent Q results should reflect for Zenith,a catch-up to its peers' sterling results.Dont you think?

I don't know if this is a valid theory. If I recall correctly, Zenith's last PO was around February 2006 while that of UBA was in March 2007 so Zenith has had more time.

This new PO by Zenith na "jara".

That apart, what do you mean by catch up? Zenith is not lacking behind now. They have declared the highest Half-Year so far even ahead of First Bank.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Krrush(m): 3:47am On Jan 11, 2008
pumping777:

I don't know if this is a valid theory. If I recall correctly, Zenith's last PO was around February 2006 while that of UBA was in March 2007 so Zenith has had more time.

This new PO by Zenith na "jara".

That apart, what do you mean by catch up? Zenith is not lacking behind now. They have declared the highest Half-Year so far even ahead of First Bank.

@pumping 777

I would rather consider the volume raised at a PO(which then impacts on its fundamentals),rather than considering what number of times it goes for a PO.The timing of Zenith's last PO afforded it to raise just that much (relatively little) in amount of funds,for the obviuos reason of lower pricing for that time of the company's growth-curve as it were.

Even if you look at numbering of POs it would interest people to know that Zenith,just as its peers,is doing only its SECOND PO.

People erroneously count Zenith's IPO,which came just before the consolidation era,as its "first" consolidation era PO.And for those who don't get the clarification correctly,it is that every company currently listed on the stock exchange,as now a "public" company,was once-upon-a-time a "privately owned" company.And that,this transition can occur through an initial public offer (IPO),or sometimes through an initial private placement.Case in point,Oceanic bank transited from privately owned to publicly owned (PLC) by way of private placement then listing on the floor,initially.This was followed by their TWO seperate POs(publis offers).Zenith's squence,again,is IPO,then a PO and now a 2nd PO.Hence,in terms of POs after becoming a PLC,Zenith and Oceanic are at par.

And so,Zenith's current PO is actually at par with Oceanic's (and by the way,UBA's 3rd if you "count" the private placement which earstwhile Standard Trust Bank did after their 1st PO),hence my catch-up comparison.

Catch-up,not because Zenith isn't doing well,but that a PAT of 8+ Billion (at Q2 for that matter) was slightly less than Oceanic's at Q1.This is why I imagine there probably might be a catch-up after subsequent utilization of PO funds by Zenith.A recent analysis by UBA projects a full-year PAT of 40+ Billion for Oceanic.

Zenith's projected mid-term valuation(stock price) might then be corrected upwards,given similar time-frame to utilize huger post-PO(2) funds grin.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by doyin13(m): 4:00am On Jan 11, 2008
Isn't there a mature debt market in Nigeria or one availaible to these banks to raise funds

Raising funds through the issue of new equity is not very nice for existing shareholders
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:33am On Jan 11, 2008
@krush - If you are talking of volume raised, then we should be talking about Zenith and Oceanic. UBA will not be in the same category. Let us just bear in mind that there are other sources of raising funds and at least we know UBA is tapping into this so I am not saying UBA is short of funds.

As far as I'm concerned the interim results of UBA, First Bank, Zenith and Oceanic are all in the same region plus or minus. It is the fundamentals that differ due to the number of outstanding shares.

Zenith can currently complete with these other banks with it's current balance sheet. With this new PO they will really have an edge in terms of funds raised via PO.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AbuMaryam1(m): 6:55am On Jan 11, 2008
Hey Pumping, windywend et-al.
I wana knw what is the meaning of " Intrinsic value a company" and how important it is in picking stock How to compute it.
Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:17am On Jan 11, 2008
Windywendy, you get time to dey analyse Acorn. Saw it and I could see clearly that they are armed robbers. In a sector with dwindling margins and seroius competition expecting such a leap within such a short time shows that they don't know what they are doing. However, that does not mean that those that bought the PP will not make money.

As per CHAMS, still dey wait for your detailed analysis OOOOO. Hope you've submitted the application while analysis is in progress.

In terms of fund raised, everyone will be playing catch up with First Bank. N250bn no be joke. Definitely, there shareholders fund will be ahead of others.

GTB is the one I fear for. It is either they are planning to be swallowed up or they have an agenda that is not clear. They are growing smaller and smaller in the general scheme of things.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:25am On Jan 11, 2008
On oversubcription, the thing tire man pickin.

Before the average number of shareholders in companies was about 30,000. Soon it moved to 50,000. Even teh insurance companies that did offers in 2006, most were seriously undersubscribed including this AIICO. I mean UNIC at 1.10 was undersubscribed in 2006.

Few offers get up to 50,000 applications. However with thread like this, you cant tell again. First Bank got almost 1million applications for their PO!!! Now that is crazy!!!!!! A lot also has to do with publicity and the issuing houses. AIICo offer is not well publicised so maybe that may help those that want to corner. However, anything over 100,000 units will definitely lead to refund money!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 9:38am On Jan 11, 2008
@kpineo,

Hope you get this ontime before trading.Access reentry is very suitable for today.
Resistance always hovers about 10- {15%(max)} below a recent peak except in a full bear market.
They're are not around yet. And also as 9 months is on its way.
Will be offline for a while,long management meeting today.
Takecare.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 9:43am On Jan 11, 2008
@ Fatherof2,

Baba, good morning to you and your family.

I dey sorry and as a good student/disciple, I go listen and adhere to that instruction.

Na true sey the silent readers dey plenty pass us for this thread.

When you talk sey you go send me some info and I talk sey make you send your email to my phone number, As I post my phone number, na so different people just dey call me because I all of them want the info. Them even dey ask me if I get your number and email.

I told them nope and that what info they need, they should address it to you on the thread.

There is only one Fatherof2 on this thread and na you.

I don take the notes for your last instruction.

Thanks a lot and wishing us all a rewarding year.

Greet your madam and your heirs apparent for me oh.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by osazeet(m): 10:56am On Jan 11, 2008
grabdaloot,

Thank u very much for ur concern, you are amongst those in these thread that is concerned about others request and questions without being self centered as a know it all. please remain my friend as i will always appreciate you. GOODMORNING
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BLOW007: 11:09am On Jan 11, 2008
@all, especially the gurus in the house

I have been following this forum for a while, this is one of the best thing that has happened since the advent of internet in naija

I have around N2Million to invest in stocks for 3-6months, ; I know that long term pays, I have my money in almost every PO or IPO.

So I need your advice.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 11:10am On Jan 11, 2008
Hiya!

Attached below is the Stock Returns Analysis (10 Jan 2007 to 09 Jan 2007). Tip: Look out for stock prices which are 50%-70% below their year high and the likelihood of a rebound in the prices etc

A beg no fit upload the file for now! Ignore for now!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 11:17am On Jan 11, 2008
Bank PHB H2 Result out!

HALF YEAR RESULT ENDED 31ST DECEMBER 2007

2007         2006     %CHANGE
GROSS EARNINGS                N33.542b     N11.351b   195
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION   N10.844b     N2.609b      316
TAXATION                           (N2.395b)    (N576.488m) 316
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION     N8.448b      N2.032b    316

Right on target to beat the FY PAT Forecast of N15b. Nice one! cheesy grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tommyt(m): 11:54am On Jan 11, 2008
i wish every body in this tread a blissful, prosperious and bullish 2008
pls i need help on aptistock i try to follow pumpin insrtuctions in page 297 but is not working 4 me at all,
i cant even locate NIGERIA NSE on it
can sombody help a brother out here and give me step to step on how to do it
or refer me to were i can read more about it,

@ Baba tobechukwu thanks 4 your lecture and pls keep the light burning am loving it
hope tobechukwu is doing fine
@ father of2
Baba e ku ogbon o, more grace to your ebow
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 11:58am On Jan 11, 2008
no_shaking:

Bank PHB H2 Result out!

2007         2006     %CHANGE
GROSS EARNINGS                N33.542b     N11.351b   195
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION   N10.844b     N2.609b      316
TAXATION                           (N2.395b)    (N576.488m) 316
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION     N8.448b      N2.032b    316

Awon boyzand should i add girlzare sharpening their claws ready to pounce. Hopefully a lot of peeps are already seated. Like FO2 would say its difficult to catch a moving train!

To try and catch a moving train can result in injuries o grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 12:08pm On Jan 11, 2008
@ All,

Na to dey ride my rocket on Bank PHB.

This one big pass train oh.

Fantastic result and well on line.

Guess my 30,000 units were worth purchasing on the floor
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 12:13pm On Jan 11, 2008
@ Roughcut,

My brother and fellow disciple,

I hope you bought your Bank PHB ticket for this rocket trip already because I have reserved a seat next to the astronaut for you.

@ fatherof2,

Baba, you dey kampe, riding first class all the way.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 12:14pm On Jan 11, 2008
ololufemi:

@ All,

Na to dey ride my rocket on Bank PHB.

This one big pass train oh.

Fantastic result and well on line.

Guess my 30,000 units were worth purchasing on the floor

Yep i agree and we don upgrade from locomotive train to rocket be dat. The rocket come get booster so as the rocker dey tire small the booster go kick in and plenty fuel in reserve tank so the rocket no go abort flight mid-airChei!God forbid bad thing
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 12:21pm On Jan 11, 2008
@ all,

something funny happened over the last two nights on the NSE site, The # of outstanding shares of LONGMAN increased from 173m to 813m while that of LIVESTOCK decreased from 1.1b to 526m. VONO was also affected. There might be others but I've had my radar on these three for some time. Does anyone know what exactly could have happened. Cos if true the Forward PE of LONGMAN goes from about 9 to 52 while that of LIVESTOCK goes from about 36 to 15. Is someone delibrately trying to mislead other peeps. I've looked at the 10 year history of the NSE, I cant see any evidence of PO or rights issue for LONGMAN. Save for a 1 for 5 bonus in 2006
can't seem to see where the additional 500m+ units would spring up from. Anyone with an explanation will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 12:27pm On Jan 11, 2008
@ALL,

I really want to know why money are been REFUNDED I SAY REFUNDED,when we say we are growing our stocks markets what is all this refunding of money if i could not go above 500kunits in FIRST BANK and when i know that saw hands are playing game to the tune is NDIDI LISTENING!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 12:34pm On Jan 11, 2008
no_shaking:

Bank PHB H2 Result out!

2007 2006 %CHANGE
GROSS EARNINGS N33.542b N11.351b 195
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION N10.844b N2.609b 316
TAXATION (N2.395b) (N576.488m) 316
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION N8.448b N2.032b 316

No wonder it has been on Strong bid for the last few weeks.Missed the rocket.hope to join another rocket.Which one i dont know.

Cos of my aversion for PO's,i didnt even bother reading PHB's prospectus in details.Are they going to allot the new 5billion shares in the current finacial year or not?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:09pm On Jan 11, 2008
damoche07:

No wonder it has been on Strong bid for the last few weeks.Missed the rocket.hope to join another rocket.Which one i don't know.

Cos of my aversion for PO's,i didnt even bother reading PHB's prospectus in details.Are they going to allot the new 5billion shares in the current finacial year or not?
Yes, this fiscal year.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:15pm On Jan 11, 2008
grabdaloot:

@ all,

something funny happened over the last two nights on the NSE site, The # of outstanding shares of LONGMAN increased from 173m to 813m while that of LIVESTOCK decreased from 1.1b to 526m. VONO was also affected. There might be others but I've had my radar on these three for some time. Does anyone know what exactly could have happened. Cos if true the Forward PE of LONGMAN goes from about 9 to 52 while that of LIVESTOCK goes from about 36 to 15. Is someone delibrately trying to mislead other peeps. I've looked at the 10 year history of the NSE, I can't see any evidence of PO or rights issue for LONGMAN. Save for a 1 for 5 bonus in 2006
can't seem to see where the additional 500m+ units would spring up from. Anyone with an explanation will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Anything you find on that NSE website has to be validated. Generally the outstanding shares listed for companies is not up to date. Livestock has 1.2B shares. There was no reconstruction and NSE did not withdraw shares from existing shareholders. I have about 176M shares outstanding fo Longman. If any of these has changed, it will be announced on the floor of the NSE.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 1:32pm On Jan 11, 2008
@grabdeloot

Thanks  for ur detailed explanation.

So oversold then means that many pple are selling and may equally force down the price?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 1:36pm On Jan 11, 2008
@ All,

Do you think based on this result and TS being lifted soon, that the price may drop

Nah, I do not think so.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 1:38pm On Jan 11, 2008
@ Fatherof2,

smiley

Thanks for making me smile to the bank. PHB did a good job.

More blessing to you

Amen.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 1:51pm On Jan 11, 2008
MyPeace:

@grabdeloot

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

So oversold then means that many people are selling and may equally force down the price?

Oversold means many people have sold and the price has dropped and therefore the stock is now a candidiate for a price increase. Make sure there is no negative news driving down the price, otherwise, the price may keep dropping even after it enters the oversold region.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 1:51pm On Jan 11, 2008
@ My peace

Your interpretation is opposite to the exact.

"Oversold" means that the stock has been sold too much. In other words, you should now be buying the stock as the stock is now cheaper than it should be.

Similarly "overbought" means too many people have been buying the stock forcing the price higher than it should be worth. It means the stock should now be sold.

Hope clear?

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 1:56pm On Jan 11, 2008
grabdaloot:

@ all,

something funny happened over the last two nights on the NSE site, The # of outstanding shares of LONGMAN increased from 173m to 813m while that of LIVESTOCK decreased from 1.1b to 526m. VONO was also affected. There might be others but I've had my radar on these three for some time. Does anyone know what exactly could have happened. Cos if true the Forward PE of LONGMAN goes from about 9 to 52 while that of LIVESTOCK goes from about 36 to 15. Is someone delibrately trying to mislead other peeps. I've looked at the 10 year history of the NSE, I can't see any evidence of PO or rights issue for LONGMAN. Save for a 1 for 5 bonus in 2006
Thanks
Could it be that the 640m shares added to Longman were taken from Livestock? Looks like the discrepancies are in the same ball park. Someone must have posted the livetsock shares under Longman and maybe caused other screwu-ps as well

(1) (2) (3) ... (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.