Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,269 members, 7,970,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 06:47 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (318) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (837123 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:29pm On Jan 11, 2008
wanaj0:

That's what I was saying yesterday about personality and investment strategy. Some people will not be satisfied without the ups and downs that they see in the market. In which case, even if a stock offers 1000% returns, they will not be interested. That's why strategy must fit the personality.

If there are no ups and downs and gyrations left right and center how am i supposed to make profit?
I go carry the $100K go buy a couple of flats for Lekki abi?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SGN(m): 7:31pm On Jan 11, 2008
@easimoni

Hi, How do you get 9 day RSI of 19 for Ikeja Hotel. I use Aptistock, and the data is up to date today, the 9 Day RSI I got is 41.  Please do clarify, may be I am doing something wrongly.  Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 7:37pm On Jan 11, 2008
@Hbrednic

Transcorp still having infighting, which is the main cause of the tribulations rather than anything inherently wrong with the company.

The ultimatum given by NCC should bring things to a head soon, hopefully for the best.

I suspect Vodacom will come in to run Nitel.

Those who already own shares hang in there but with a little shaking, like myself.
Those who do not own watch carefully but have money ready to pounce once Nitel matter resolved.

Samstone4 cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 7:44pm On Jan 11, 2008
Na wa oh! This thread is something else. Less than 24hrs wen I log on and more than 7 more pages!

Oga Wanaj0, which analysis you dey wait? No be you talk say "no analysis paralysis"? Me don commot for that side long time ago. It's a good offer, and yes I've turned in my application. Those UBA guys try for me well well. They were even willing to wait beyond the Monday deadline they gave me, and agreed to accept my application online while awaiting the cheque from my broker. Anyway, that one's done.

As per AG leventis, I'ld say "yes" it's good at the current price. I tried re-entry today after selling a few days back but no show. Thought twas going to fall another 5% today.

Na wa for Transcorp oh! I remember when they were doing their PO sometime ago and I told some folks who were planning to invest to beware. One guy nearly bit my head off, even calling me unpatriotic, bla bla bla. Sentimental investing can be terrible! Well after a while I just had to shut up, abi na my money? wetin come concern fish with raincoat na?  grin grin Someone told me recently that he's still averaging down shocked shocked Amazing!. Don't know why anyone would tie money down there when there are myriads of other opportunities screaming to be picked up. But then again, the risk may end up paying BIG TIME.

@all: can anyone with the MTN prospectus post it? Can't seem to find it anywhere online. Thanks.

Good weekend everyone!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 7:47pm On Jan 11, 2008
Back from work just catching up again.

@ Roughcut,
  I feel you BIG BIG time men.
I've made my old 68 year old man(my father) a strong trader like me, his Access just jumped from N6.2m to N8.06m in like 5weeks.
Only difference is that he didn't extract any profit last week.But e no tell me ontime sha.
Na the guy inspire me into stock work.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:52pm On Jan 11, 2008
RoughCut:

You are right about the 70% bit for a public company i said in my post you only need 2 shareholders to form a limited company.For listing on the NSE only 25% of the stock need to be floated! Dangote floated 25% of his personal holding in DFM and that is what all of us were scrambling for and at least you know the result.

The man still owns 75% of the company  and listing on NSE is imminent its all in the prospectus!

A limited company need only 2 shareholders but a PUBLIC limited company (PLC) must have more than 2. For a listed company, they are PLC's so must have more than 2 shareholders.

pumping777:

Is the discussion to reduce the entry  point for you in particular or general consideration?

I am interested but will not want to commit more than $50K  sad

It will be for general consideration. How many people will like to tie down N12m for 3 years?

RoughCut:

If there are no ups and downs and gyrations left right and center how am i supposed to make profit?
I go carry the $100K go buy a couple of flats for Lekki abi?

That's the issue of personality. Those that do those lind of things are in it for the LONG term. You need to know how much those that sold V-Mobile shares to Akwa Ibom and Delta State governments made. Just because of teh first mover advantage, most people prefer PP. Transcorp PP started @ 1.00 then moved to 6.00 before doing IPO @ 15.00 ( they bought half of what those who entered via PP because of the stock split). So even at 3.00, those that entered @ 1.00 are making a killing. Imagine if they've exited @ 7.00!!!!!

Imagien a stock split followed by 4 for 1 by CHAMS, that beats any gyration/trading you may think about.

That said, personality comes to play. Same way some people can never BUY stocks because they want a business that is 'tangible'. SOmething they can hold not the 'gambling' that takes place on the stock market. We are just comfortable with different things.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:57pm On Jan 11, 2008
SGN:

@easimoni

Hi, How do you get 9 day RSI of 19 for Ikeja Hotel. I use Aptistock, and the data is up to date today, the 9 Day RSI I got is 41. Please do clarify, may be I am doing something wrongly. Thanks.

My 14-day RSI (in my spreadsheet) is 41. Are you sure you've got the right settings?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:01pm On Jan 11, 2008
iconbull:
@fatherof2
can't u see more people are joinning this thread everyday,hope it wont be oversubscribed soon?

@iconbull
hahaha, i doubt if the moderator will return any money(NAMES) on this one.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:04pm On Jan 11, 2008
windywendy:

Na wa oh! This thread is something else. Less than 24hrs when I log on and more than 7 more pages!

Oga Wanaj0, which analysis you dey wait? No be you talk say "no analysis paralysis"? Me don commot for that side long time ago. It's a good offer, and yes I've turned in my application. Those UBA guys try for me well well. They were even willing to wait beyond the Monday deadline they gave me, and agreed to accept my application online while awaiting the cheque from my broker. Anyway, that one's done.

As per AG leventis, I'ld say "yes" it's good at the current price. I tried re-entry today after selling a few days back but no show. Thought twas going to fall another 5% today.

Na wa for Transcorp oh! I remember when they were doing their PO sometime ago and I told some folks who were planning to invest to beware. One guy nearly bit my head off, even calling me unpatriotic, bla bla bla. Sentimental investing can be terrible! Well after a while I just had to shut up, abi na my money? wetin come concern fish with raincoat na?  grin grin Someone told me recently that he's still averaging down shocked shocked Amazing!. Don't know why anyone would tie money down there when there are myriads of other opportunities screaming to be picked up. But then again, the risk may end up paying BIG TIME.

@all: can anyone with the MTN prospectus post it? Can't seem to find it anywhere online. Thanks.

Good weekend everyone!

The analysis can start now.

Turned in the first batch of the CHAMS offer via UBA Stockbrokers who asked UBA global market to allocate and give a written undertaking for 20m units. The way UBA is handling the thing, there might be over subscription. Not sure thay had control over the units being submitted. Blocked 2m units for me and my friends but we exceeded and gave them a post dated cheque for 15th of January.

Submitted the second batch at SKYE bank today. Nice chap I met. Shared the same name with his Pastor. Even put me through to the Pastor on phone to meet his name sake. Gave them a post dated cheque also for Monday the 14th. He said that there will be no oversubscription. That once the limit is reached, he will stop collection. That to me makes sense and make me comfortable since na borrowed funds I dey use. I assumed that each underwritter will allocate to its client based on the amount they offered to underwrite. If everything is left to UBA Global markets to handle, there may be weeping and gnashing of teeth!!!!

As per Transorp, some people entered at 1.00 so until it reaches 0.50 no shaking for them. That's the advantage of early movers.

On MTN, doubt whether there is really any prospectus sent out. IBTC just invited the houses who will now form an SPV for those that are interested through them. They will be the one to develop an offer document factoring their own management fee into it. I know that Afrinvest is currently preparing that now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 8:07pm On Jan 11, 2008
@Easimoni,
Where did you get the number of outstanding shares for Ikeja hotel. If it is a weblink, just point me in that direction, As per your comment on CHAMS PP min subsciption. The person i spoke to at UBAGM actually told me the minimum in now 2m units. Made me pocket my cheque and walk away
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:08pm On Jan 11, 2008
grabdaloot:

@Easimoni,
Where did you get the number of outstanding shares for Ikeja hotel. If it is a weblink, just point me in that direction, As per your comment on CHAMS PP min subsciption. The person i spoke to at UBAGM actually told me the minimum in now 2m units. Made me pocket my cheque and walk away

Go to SKYE Bank.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:12pm On Jan 11, 2008
@ grabdaloot,
I got it by adding the shares alloted by the SEC (652M) to the shares outstanding prior to the 06 PO (1080M). Total is now 1732M shares.

Per UBA GM, you got good advice from Wanaj0. My guy is buying a total of 2.5M units so I guess we are still safe.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:13pm On Jan 11, 2008
wanaj0:

A limited company need only 2 shareholders but a PUBLIC limited company (PLC) must have more than 2. For a listed company, they are PLC's so must have more than 2 shareholders.

Just in case you misunderstood me i never said two people are needed to be shareholders in a PUBLIC. I made reference to a company limited by liability and that means a PRIVATE limited company! I did not use the word PUBLIC in amy thread relating to this discussion

Imagien a stock split followed by 4 for 1 by CHAMS, that beats any gyration/trading you may think about

As it happens i'm actually in CHAMS and i'm also in  Union Diagnostics PP if i even expend N1-2M at least i know in a few months the stocks will be listed and i can  cycle in and out or hitch a ride on the rocket grin grin grin grin grin.

My investment strategy precludes me from 'tying' down $100K for three years even if its  MTN!

I might as well wait till when the Federal government  floats their holding in the Liquefied Natural Gas Projecti will break the bank to get in! or actually buy MTN shares on the JSE where the parent company is listed!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:20pm On Jan 11, 2008
RoughCut:

I might as well wait till when the Federal government  floats their holding in the Liquefied Natural Gas Projecti will break the bank to get in!
Is there really such a plan?  shocked
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:26pm On Jan 11, 2008
easimoni:

Is there really such a plan? shocked

I'm praying for my sake there will be such a plan. The federal government owns 49% so they can afford divest some of their holding. They are getting 'heavy-weight' income tax from the venture so they dont necessarilly need to hold 49% especially if the equity is made up debt and equity instruments.

Just a thot sha its good to be in hope!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 8:27pm On Jan 11, 2008
easimoni:

@ grabdaloot,
I got it by adding the shares alloted by the SEC (652M) to the shares outstanding prior to the 06 PO (1080M). Total is now 1732M shares.

Per UBA GM, you got good advice from Wanaj0. My guy is buying a total of 2.5M units so I guess we are still safe.

I thought so too till i saw this

Ikeja Hotel is offering to the general public by way of an offer for subscription 3 billion ordinary shares of 50 kobo each at N3.00. The offer opens on ,
www.ikejahotel.com/FAQ.ppt

Now my question is do they have up to 3b share outstanding. Also I tried adding the supplementary LIVESTOCK shares to the LONGMAN like you suggested and it gave me 806.9m not 813. Something is not right there as well. Why can't we have straight forward and clean database in the system. let me know if you have further explainations on the the IKEJAHOTEL of LONGMAN
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:27pm On Jan 11, 2008
wanaj0:

The analysis can start now.

No point. Money has gone out the door already!

wanaj0:

Turned in the first batch of the CHAMS offer via UBA Stockbrokers who asked UBA global market to allocate and give a written undertaking for 20m units. The way UBA is handling the thing, there might be over subscription. Not sure thay had control over the units being submitted. Blocked 2m units for me and my friends but we exceeded and gave them a post dated cheque for 15th of January.

Actually I think they do. My source in UBA GM said that the issuing houses each have their allocations and will be meeting every week to guage how far things are going. Their objective is to avoid oversubscription and having to return monies. So once each exhausts his allocation, collection should stop. Now having said that, I won't be too surprised if one or more of the issuing houses doesn't abide by that. Afterall it's free money walking in the door, why turn it back when you can use it to trade? I hope they would be scrupulous enough to not do that! But somehow I'm trusting that UBA GM won't do that.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:30pm On Jan 11, 2008
@grabdaloot: did you reconfirm the story on Eterna Oil?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:34pm On Jan 11, 2008
@ BLOW007

3-6months is not long term oh. 3 na short for me. 6 na medium. Long na from 1year to wen your first pikin born.

Split your N2m into 3 places. N700K,N700K and N600k.

Put N700k into 1st bank on Monday.
next N700k will be directed to one bank which i will tell you in 3weeks wen its due.
next N600k i will advice you put in one Conglomerate very shortly(like 1 week or 2 as month one end).its not LEVENTIS OH.I'll inform you.

Just send reminder here in case we forget.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:37pm On Jan 11, 2008
FatherOF2:

@ BLOW007

3-6months is not long term oh. 3 na short for me. 6 na medium. Long na from 1year to when your first pikin born.

Split your N2m into 3 places. N700K,N700K and N600k.

Put N700k into 1st bank on Monday.
next N700k will be directed to one bank which i will tell you in 3weeks when its due.
next N600k i[b] will advice you put in one Conglomerate very shortly(like 1 week or 2 as month one end).its not LEVENTIS OH.[/b]I'll inform you.

Just send reminder here in case we forget.

It's UNILEVER. No secret there cheesy grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:42pm On Jan 11, 2008
grabdaloot:

I thought so too till i saw this

Ikeja Hotel is offering to the general public by way of an offer for subscription 3 billion ordinary shares of 50 kobo each at N3.00. The offer opens on ,
www.ikejahotel.com/FAQ.ppt

Now my question is do they have up to 3b share outstanding. Also I tried adding the supplementary LIVESTOCK shares to the LONGMAN like you suggested and it gave me 806.9m not 813. Something is not right there as well. Why can't we have straight forward and clean database in the system. let me know if you have further explainations on the the IKEJAHOTEL of LONGMAN

PEr Ikeja hotel, twas a typo. Offer was for 1B shares. No doubt! They writer got his 1s and 3s all messed up.

Can't help you about the NSE database. It'll be cleaned sooner or later. I'm sticking with my spreadsheet.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:43pm On Jan 11, 2008
windywendy:

It's UNILEVER. No secret there cheesy grin

Even if na Unilever(no be say na e oh). I ask TIME DON REACH.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 8:53pm On Jan 11, 2008
FatherOF2:

Even if na Unilever(no be say na e oh). I ask TIME DON REACH.

Na unilever jo!

But that your question hard small. The company has turned around but is still quite expensive. Me ordered in December at 19.5 and will be looking to sell at 26 or thereabout, which is where I think it might peak out. But the stock seems to still be taking a beating, so whether or not time don reach will depend on the returns you're looking to make. If you're happy with 10 or 15% return, then I'ld say maybe next week would be a good time to enter when it bottoms out from the current downward trend. Results will be out in March, so rally might start toward Feb. ending. Over to you!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 8:59pm On Jan 11, 2008
windywendy:

Na unilever jo!

But that your question hard small. The company has turned around but is still quite expensive. Me ordered in December at 19.5 and will be looking to sell at 26 or thereabout, which is where I think it might peak out. But the stock seems to still be taking a beating, so whether or not time don reach will depend on the returns you're looking to make. If you're happy with 10 or 15% return, then I'ld say maybe next week would be a good time to enter when it bottoms out from the current downward trend. Results will be out in March, so rally might start toward Feb. ending. Over to you!

Why you no say UACN.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 9:09pm On Jan 11, 2008
FatherOF2:

Why you no say UACN.

Hmmm, UACN is cheap no doubt, what with a forward PE of <18. But at the current price, I don't see too much upside for the stock (i.e. if one wants to trade oh). Also, they've done an interim dividend of 50k so the final payout may not be too enticing to lift the share price that much. Besides, results won't be out until late April at the earliest, So Unilever will most likely rally before this one. For Unilever, the coy has been in the doldrums and with the turnaround this year, they're definitely going to do something relatively good for the shareholders. So that anticipation will give a better upside than UACN. That's my take though, and it may be completely wrong but then again, it may be absolutely right cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 9:10pm On Jan 11, 2008
windywendy:

@grabdaloot: did you reconfirm the story on Eterna Oil?

@windywendy.

I'll try and do that for your sake cos I wasn't really interested. I work in the petroleum sector and that is one area that is going no where fast. As long as we cant refine and the market is regulated there won't be much profits for the marketers to make. However the news of the Eterna oil just made me think of FOF2 and his earlier recommendation. Made me wonder if he was truly Ndidi's PA. I'll have the full details for you on Tuesday latest.@windywendy.

I'll try and do that for your sake cos I wasn't really interested. I work in the petroleum sector and that is one area that is going no where fast. As long as we cant refine and the market is regulated there won't be much profits for the marketers to make. However the news of the Eterna oil just made me think of FOF2 and his earlier recommendation. Made me wonder if he was truly Ndidi's PA. I'll have the full details for you on Tuesday latest.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 9:12pm On Jan 11, 2008
windywendy:

Hmmm, UACN is cheap no doubt, what with a forward PE of <18. But at the current price, I don't see too much upside for the stock (i.e. if one wants to trade oh). Also, they've done an interim dividend of 50k so the final payout may not be too enticing to lift the share price that much. Besides, results won't be out until late April at the earliest, So Unilever will most likely rally before this one. For Unilever, the coy has been in the doldrums and with the turnaround this year, they're definitely going to do something relatively good for the shareholders. So that anticipation will give a better upside than UACN. That's my take though, and it may be completely wrong but then again, it may be absolutely right cheesy cheesy

You be VERY SHARP LADY. No wonder breeze dey blow for my ear.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SGN(m): 9:14pm On Jan 11, 2008
@easimoni

Please, if you have time check the spreadsheet I attached, its just an extract of the Ikeja Hotel thing.  I got a 9 day RSI of 23 for 11th Jan '08, still not equal to yours. Could there be anything wrong in it. And also if you Aptistock, check 11th Jan '08 9 |day RSI for Ikeja Hotel. I am just trying to find out where I got it wrong.  Many thanks.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 9:16pm On Jan 11, 2008
grabdaloot:

@windywendy.

I'll try and do that for your sake because I wasn't really interested. I work in the petroleum sector and that is one area that is going no where fast. As long as we can't refine and the market is regulated there won't be much profits for the marketers to make. However the news of the Eterna oil just made me think of FOF2 and his earlier recommendation. Made me wonder if he was truly Ndidi's PA. I'll have the full details for you on Tuesday latest.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!  grin grin I'll be waiting eargerly and did I remember to say "thank you" again  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 9:19pm On Jan 11, 2008
FatherOF2:

You be VERY SHARP LADY. No wonder breeze dey blow for my ear.

Thank you! And you sef be POLITICIAN grin grin See as you take style avoid providing the name of the conglomerate in question. Abeg make you say the name of the conglomerate na. Abi you think say na for free I take answer all those tough questions grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 9:23pm On Jan 11, 2008
windywendy:

Thank you! And you sef be POLITICIAN grin grin See as you take style avoid providing the name of the conglomerate in question. Abeg make you say the name of the conglomerate na. Abi you think say na for free I take answer all those tough questions grin

My sister somehow something don dey tell me there's more to this thread than meets the eye.
Mention one stock and you wen want am no go get.E be wan worry me early december for PHB.Na God just bring christmas come.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 9:25pm On Jan 11, 2008
SGN:

@easimoni

Please, if you have time check the spreadsheet I attached, its just an extract of the Ikeja Hotel thing.  I got a 9 day RSI of 23 for 11th Jan '08, still not equal to yours. Could there be anything wrong in it. And also if you Aptistock, check 11th Jan '08 9 |day RSI for Ikeja Hotel. I am just trying to find out where I got it wrong.  Many thanks.

The key thing in RSI calculations is the date of start of evaluation. You started from the 29th of NOV 2007 but I am sure Easimoni has his from the 6th of Sept. Remember that history is very key in RSI evaluation.  Goodluck bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.