Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,467 members, 7,964,898 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 12:30 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (320) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (836172 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 11:49am On Jan 12, 2008
Here is an attachment of company results to date. Enjoy

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 12:05pm On Jan 12, 2008
Mr Risky, you are too muss as the Oyo people will say.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 12:15pm On Jan 12, 2008
Anyone with info on Goldlink PP and Nigerdock planned offer for sale?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 12:36pm On Jan 12, 2008
Tori,tori Resp===Story
Once upon a time, Resp===Time,Time.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 12:40pm On Jan 12, 2008
Mr. Risky:

Here is an attachment of company results to date. Enjoy

Good one, enjoyed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 12:42pm On Jan 12, 2008
@shigidi
u are right there,this is not a good news for bank jugglers at all. but i bliv we traders are creative ,we will work around it. grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 12:47pm On Jan 12, 2008
wanaj0:

Anyone with info on Goldlink PP and Nigerdock planned offer for sale?

fieldmashal,i don join u for next level o!. i hear say allotment for goldlink has been done
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 12:57pm On Jan 12, 2008
iconbull:

fieldmashal,i don join u for next level o!. i hear say allotment for goldlink has been done

Abeg , make una drop all this titles wey man no fit use buy garri for maket.

Thanks for the info on Goldlink. Any insight on Nigerdock
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 1:05pm On Jan 12, 2008
wanaj0:

Fatherof2 and Wendy,

UACN has a low PE because of the Extra ordinary income that boosted their profits. They are selling some of their assets (Tractor and Equipment). For me that is not sustainable so it is a SELL. Market sentiments may however move it up to 60.00

UNILEVER, will still be wary of it. Margins in the sector are thin and the growth potential is limited.

If you need a conglomerate, go Chellarams. Lowest PE in the sector. Now into manufacturing of bicycles, Okada and Tricycles. That definitely is a high margin and growth sector of the economy. With stable exchange rate (falling dollar) importers will make a KILL. Downside is liquidity. They were planning a PO before but they've gone silent on that now. Liquidity na the issue here!

oga mi, i remain loyal o! but i think things may be quite different for AGleventis heard Cummins a foreign company has made substantial acquisition in it. expect the mkt to react to this ,u also know that sentiments drive a lot of stocks on the xchange not necesarily fundamental or technical analysis.few examples will do.the recent entry of a foreign investor into afroil moved its price from N7 TO N10. we've not seen any result from nig wire nd cable yet it is moving.these are few thins sentiments can do. but i will always advise u back up every rumor with fundamental considerations to be on a safer side.

JOHN HOLT, little info. Being declaring losses for a while so will let that pass.

AG Leventis and UTC, not really facsinated with those two. They need serious re engineering. Can't see what will propell them. They are in a low margin sector apart from the power (generators) that they are in to. They are however facing stiff competition from the Chinese companies also.

TRANSCORP? Maybe if you are a naturally OPTIMISTIC person.

Which one remain?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iconbull: 1:08pm On Jan 12, 2008
@wanajo
oga mi, i remain loyal o! but i think things may be quite different for AGleventis heard Cummins a foreign company has made substantial acquisition in it. expect the mkt to react to this ,u also know that sentiments drive a lot of stocks on the xchange not necesarily fundamental or technical analysis.few examples will do.the recent entry of a foreign investor into afroil moved its price from N7 TO N10. we've not seen any result from Nigeria wire nd cable yet it is moving.these are few thins sentiments can do. but i will always advise u back up every rumor with fundamental considerations to be on a safer side.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 1:21pm On Jan 12, 2008
iconbull:

@wanajo
oga mi, i remain loyal o! but i think things may be quite different for AGleventis heard Cummins a foreign company has made substantial acquisition in it. expect the mkt to react to this ,u also know that sentiments drive a lot of stocks on the xchange not necesarily fundamental or technical analysis.few examples will do.the recent entry of a foreign investor into afroil moved its price from N7 TO N10. we've not seen any result from Nigeria wire nd cable yet it is moving.these are few thins sentiments can do. but i will always advise u back up every rumor with fundamental considerations to be on a safer side.

Yes, you can always BUY on rumour and you profit especially in a BULL market. In a BEARISH market, you get your fingers burnt especially with illiquid funds.

Talking of Afroil, if you know anything about the oil marketing business you will know that it is a LOW margin high volume business. However, extraneous factors can always drive the price up. AP is at an unreasobale price now because of the bidding war. I will not join the bidding war.

Not only Nigerian Wire and cable, check FAMAD, check Nigercem etc.

Now since I am not a trader, I will prefer companies that I can BUY and go to sleep. taht fits into my personality but will not grudge those that do the opposite
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 1:39pm On Jan 12, 2008
wanaj0:

Abeg , make una drop all this titles wey man no fit use buy garri for maket.

Thanks for the info on Goldlink. Any insight on Nigerdock

Fieldmarhsal,its not your call about this name.You deserve it and i hope u will accept it. However,you are a dovish fieldmarshal,a very necessary ingredient in the boardroom,cabinet or Joint Chiefs o Staff. wink.its a boring saturday here.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 1:46pm On Jan 12, 2008
wanaj0:

Fatherof2 and Wendy,

UACN has a low PE because of the Extra ordinary income that boosted their profits. They are selling some of their assets (Tractor and Equipment). For me that is not sustainable so it is a SELL. Market sentiments may however move it up to 60.00

UNILEVER, will still be wary of it. Margins in the sector are thin and the growth potential is limited.

If you need a conglomerate, go Chellarams. Lowest PE in the sector. Now into manufacturing of bicycles, Okada and Tricycles. That definitely is a high margin and growth sector of the economy. With stable exchange rate (falling dollar) importers will make a KILL. Downside is liquidity. They were planning a PO before but they've gone silent on that now. Liquidity na the issue here!

JOHN HOLT, little info. Being declaring losses for a while so will let that pass.

AG Leventis and UTC, not really facsinated with those two. They need serious re engineering. Can't see what will propell them. They are in a low margin sector apart from the power (generators) that they are in to. They are however facing stiff competition from the Chinese companies also.

TRANSCORP? Maybe if you are a naturally OPTIMISTIC person.

Which one remain?

@Wanaj0,
I share a different veiw on some of your points which you have listed above. First of all, UTC is no longer a conglomerate. They have sold off all arms of the conglomerate and concentrated solely on the Food sector hence their reclassification by the NSE. Secondly AGLEVENTIS is doing very well. Thier 9 months PAT is greater than their full year PAT of 06 (N411m vs N394m) with no exceptional items. Though their turnover was 9% less but that is because they have mordenized their operations and dropped most of the non profiatable capital intensive arms. Like the heavy machinery unit. Check the increase in their profit margin this year and you begin to see my point. Their forward PE depending on how you evaluate thier full year ranges from 15 -18. Now the addition of cummings to the equation makes it a very good prospect and the cummings thing is not a rumour but something that has been signed and sealed. They have been consistent in dividend payments over the last 7 years. If you have banks at N50/share paying N1 dividend and you can get an AGLEVENT at N5 to pay you 20k which would you go for in terms of ROI. As you are not a trader I'd really love to know your answer. Of course I am not shouting to all to go and buy AGLEVENT but truth be told it has sound fundamentals. One point I agree with though is the relatively thin volumes being sold. I've been trying for some time to amass the stock but cant ever seem to get more than 200k in one trade day
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Labo: 1:46pm On Jan 12, 2008
Hi wanajo,

Can I have your opinion on this issue. I have got a couple of union bank stock. Is it adviceable to sell them to purchase First bank stock.

Ta
Labo
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 1:51pm On Jan 12, 2008
teto:
mr.FO2, my mail is  owotoyin@hotmail.com .eptg yur mail. need to discuss with you. thanks i need to move to the next level

teto:
anyway it's like father of all is not going to answer me. please my fellow nigerians. i have a portifolio that worth 10m, i used to believe in buy and keep but this year i want trade.  the problem is i don't know which one to sell to buy what. i made a mistake last year selling my uba to buy transcorp and i don't wnat a similar experience. i need someone to talk to via e.mail. mine is  owotoyin@hotmail.com .need yr assistance

teto,

Sorry no be say person no wan answer you.Na two things.
1. I fear that level you be dey talk before.I no fit answer if your level high pass all of us here oh.
2. I forget.
And like Naijadr talk don't feel bad in stating what the issue maybe. No be only me fit help you here.
Many powerfull men of integrity full here.The ideas wen dey their head person no fit rival.
You can sneak the question in, in a way not to reveal too much,but your question will be answered.
You can state it like this " What if someone has" not " I have".
If you do am like this, all of us wen dey the COMMON MAN LEVEL go answer you.
God Bless you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 1:57pm On Jan 12, 2008
damoche07:

Fieldmarhsal,its not your call about this name.You deserve it and i hope u will accept it. However,you are a dovish fieldmarshal,a very necessary ingredient in the boardroom,cabinet or Joint Chiefs o Staff. wink.its a boring saturday here.

Ok. Will you now answer my other question

grabdaloot:

@Wanaj0,
I share a different veiw on some of your points which you have listed above. First of all, UTC is no longer a conglomerate. They have sold off all arms of the conglomerate and concentrated solely on the Food sector hence their reclassification by the NSE. Secondly AGLEVENTIS is doing very well. Thier 9 months PAT is greater than their full year PAT of 06 (N411m vs N394m) with no exceptional items. Though their turnover was 9% less but that is because they have mordenized their operations and dropped most of the non profiatable capital intensive arms. Like the heavy machinery unit. Check the increase in their profit margin this year and you begin to see my point. Their forward PE depending on how you evaluate their full year ranges from 15 -18. Now the addition of cummings to the equation makes it a very good prospect and the cummings thing is not a rumour but something that has been signed and sealed. They have been consistent in dividend payments over the last 7 years. If you have banks at N50/share paying N1 dividend and you can get an AGLEVENT at N5 to pay you 20k which would you go for in terms of ROI. As you are not a trader I'd really love to know your answer. Of course I am not shouting to all to go and buy AGLEVENT but truth be told it has sound fundamentals. One point I agree with though is the relatively thin volumes being sold. I've been trying for some time to amass the stock but can't ever seem to get more than 200k in one trade day

Margins in the sector that UTC is concentrating on is THIN. It is basically a VOLUME business.

on Ag Leventis, I am not against them. Normally its PE is always lower than other companies in that sector. I know that they are in to power via Cummins but that is a very competitive sector. Their Hotel is not doing that well. The property arm is also not fantastic. Their motor divison is being re organised. So while it is not a SELL, It is not a MUST BUY at elast by my calaculation.

I may also be sentimental. Bought my AG Leventis @ about 0.65k in 2006 or so so buying now @ above 5.00 is a no no for me. I am speaking for myself. One's mans meet is another mans poison.

Labo:

Hi wanajo,

Can I have your opinion on this issue. I have got a couple of union bank stock. it advice able to sel them to purchase First bank stock.

Ta
Labo

I am not impressed with the growth rate of Union bank. but they've done me well even better than First bank. But going forward, First Bank seems to hold more value. The old men managing Union bank seems to be bereft of ideas.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 2:56pm On Jan 12, 2008
I am not impressed with the growth rate of Union bank. but they've done me well even better than First bank. But going forward, First Bank seems to hold more value. The old men managing Union bank seems to be bereft of ideas.

[quote][/quote]

Investing in Union Bank shares is like MUTUAL FUND. grin It doesn't grow high but its SURE cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Safive: 3:51pm On Jan 12, 2008
Hi Wanajo, Fatherof2,Wendy and others,

I have selected some 4 companies outside banking and insurance sector to put some few millions for medium term. These are Presco, C & I leasing, Nigerian German Chemicals and Eterna oil. I want to enter next week. I am not absolutly sure I'm right. Do you think I should adjust. Please advice.

I also learnt Universal insurance cmpany that just concluded PP @ 0.95 is going to list this Q1 at 1.8 do you have any info.

When will union diagnostic be listed on the floor.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 3:59pm On Jan 12, 2008
[b]CHEI!!![/b]nobody dey house today,na wah for saturdays.
awon boys don go enjoy their loot for last week.

@all
happy happy weekend.

@wanaj0
he who the cap fits,,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by veeco: 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2008
HI LADIES AND GENTLE MEN

PLS I NEED SOME GUILDLINE . I HAVE ABOUT N500,000 AND I WANT TO USE IT TO TRADE ON MARGIN. I KNOW THAT BANKS CAN AFFORD TO LOAN 70% TO ME, MAKING MY CAPITAL TO RISE UP TO ABOUT N1,680,000. AND I WANT TO INVEST ALL THESE FUND IN FIRSTBANK. PLS I WANT YOU PEOPLE TO TELL ME THE GOOD, BAD AND UGLY OF THIS INTENTION.

THKS.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jbabe(f): 5:29pm On Jan 12, 2008
hi all
u guys r so knowlegdeable! Very impressive!!! however im very new to stocks & shares.I need answers to these questions 1.)Is Santrust a good investment company & what's their minimum start-up?

@ father-of-2
i have 500k to invest & i need returns within the year.What do u think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nio68(m): 5:58pm On Jan 12, 2008
veeco:

HI LADIES AND GENTLE MEN

PLS I NEED SOME GUILDLINE . I HAVE ABOUT N500,000 AND I WANT TO USE IT TO TRADE  ON MARGIN. I KNOW THAT BANKS CAN AFFORD TO LOAN 70% TO ME, MAKING MY CAPITAL TO RISE UP TO ABOUT N1,680,000. AND I WANT TO INVEST ALL THESE FUND IN FIRSTBANK. PLS I WANT YOU PEOPLE TO TELL ME THE GOOD, BAD AND UGLY OF THIS INTENTION.

THKS.

Trading margin at the current market state is not advisable, wait till the market becomes bullish for best returns, meanwhile you can carefully select 2 stocks to invest your 500k into, good entry points would be surfacing in some stocks in few weeks, SHINE YOUR EYES, Read previous posts 2
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Labo: 6:18pm On Jan 12, 2008
Tanx Wanajo. I thought as much.

cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by beginner: 6:29pm On Jan 12, 2008
Hello

This is my first post and i am not sue I am doing it properly. I just want to thank everyone for their advice. I am a silent participant. Advice on stocks to buy next week for a quick would be sincerely appreciated.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by femlaj(f): 7:31pm On Jan 12, 2008
@all
kudos to all, we are surely going places, you guys all seem like family to me
wanted to ask, does it make sense to enter UBA at this time at N51
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ngegy: 7:38pm On Jan 12, 2008
femlaj:

@all

compared to its price, the N3.48 difference btw its current price and its most recent low of N48 is not too much. You can still buy UBA, there number of share outstanding is just attractive to me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 12, 2008
@NBA

chairman i salute oo,could u tell me a little bit about uba nrn acct,i sent in my completed form to their office @ 57 marina lag sometime in november 17/07 since then i never hear anything from them i don call them tire nobody dey answer the phone i don send numerius email no reply,i sent it on a registered post,i've confirmed that it was delivered,problem is that i dont live in naija.my fear is not to fall into identity theft because i gave them every docu including my passport id and my bank detail.could u tell me if this is normal.kpineo can u help on this.please guys any advice from the house is welcome
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by son5070: 8:33pm On Jan 12, 2008
euromilion:

@NBA

chairman i salute oo,could u tell me a little bit about uba nrn acct,i sent in my completed form to their office @ 57 marina lag sometime in november 17/07 since then i never hear anything from them i don call them tire nobody dey answer the phone i don send numerius email no reply,i sent it on a registered post,i've confirmed that it was delivered,problem is that i don't live in naija.my fear is not to fall into identity theft because i gave them every docu including my passport id and my bank detail.could u tell me if this is normal.kpineo can u help on this.please guys any advice from the house is welcome
U can call Dare on 08033189969 or 012644655 ext 15432 or faleyimu on 08033438604.they should sort u out.all d best
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 9:02pm On Jan 12, 2008
euromilion:

@NBA

chairman i salute oo,could u tell me a little bit about uba nrn acct,i sent in my completed form to their office @ 57 marina lag sometime in november 17/07 since then i never hear anything from them i don call them tire nobody dey answer the phone i don send numerius email no reply,i sent it on a registered post,i've confirmed that it was delivered,problem is that i don't live in naija.my fear is not to fall into identity theft because i gave them every docu including my passport id and my bank detail.could u tell me if this is normal.kpineo can u help on this.please guys any advice from the house is welcome

wow now thats a long time, I've had NRN since Sep, it takes about 2-3weeks to open, u can contact one of the US rep officers Temitope @ temitope.afeniforo (at) ubagroup.com to see if he can get u in touch with the European rep officers
he's extremely efficient with email.
Check out this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-79353.288.html

not sure why you gave your bank detail though
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 9:13pm On Jan 12, 2008
femlaj:

@all

UBA's actual fair value price should be about N62, so N51 is still a steal, its a no brainer, dont get it, GET IT!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RUGBYGEE(m): 9:26pm On Jan 12, 2008
I hope you guys know that shares is just a longer term version of the forex, what happens in forex happens there in stocks too. The rallies, the dips, the channels and all you can think of. If you are looking for a less risky business, you can trust Nigerian shares because the market is still in the developing stage where there are many opportunity stocks to buy. Buy now before they get very expensive.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kpineo: 9:32pm On Jan 12, 2008
euromilion:

@NBA

Bros i can see the house has sorted you out already with relevant phone numbers. All the best.

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.