Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,872 members, 7,876,318 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:44 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (333) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (821970 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 10:32pm On Jan 15, 2008
pumping777:

I think this is almost certain. Remember the PO was at N3.95 and new shares don't qualify for dividends or bonus?? The PO discount will end up being artificial. Another First Bank.

Ok cool. I'm still in that one from the last rumor I heard from my brokers. I traded some to do the Chams PP but still have more than half left 'cos of the bonus rumor I heard. Results should be released sometime in April or March
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by beginner: 10:34pm On Jan 15, 2008
Hello

Is it too late to buy Japaul based on bonus rumor.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 10:42pm On Jan 15, 2008
Pumping 777,

E bi like say Flour Mill go reach #100 before their year end in march o
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 10:44pm On Jan 15, 2008
Not too late to buy japaul, if the bonus rumor is connfirmed, the company will likely do about N12. Depending on the bonus ratio.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2008
@ pumping, flour mills at N100? Remember they do cement also.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 10:47pm On Jan 15, 2008
I would prefer you first ask yourself if you can stand Japaul if the bonus "news" turns out to be just what it is "rumour". Can you stand when others bought at N3.95, and you are buying at N9 plus.  You may have to wait for the next one or more years if the the rumour turns out to be RUMOUR! That is the risk. At its current price, it will take half a century to recoup one's investment there!  I wish Pumping or Wendy will pump more action into this my theory or blow the Wind of risk away from it grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:51pm On Jan 15, 2008
invisible!:

Not too late to buy japaul, if the bonus rumor is connfirmed, the company will likely do about N12. Depending on the bonus ratio.

Based on their issued share capital, they cannot go for 1:1 but they can easily accomodate 1:2 or even higher.

I don't think it is too late. The bull run of the stock cannot continue till March or April when the results will be announced. There should be some dips which provide the opportunity to hop on.

As invisible! posted, announcement of the bonus will still push up the price. One just has to hope that there is no major dip in price before then.

And the point raised by Mr. Risky. Very valid. It depends on your risk appetite. I will not buy Japaul at its current price unless you put a gun to my head. Dead fundamentals.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:54pm On Jan 15, 2008
tonyjon:

Pumping 777,

I bi like say Flour Mill go reach #100 before their year end in march o

Flour wetin? I dumped that stock like 3 weeks ago. It was a yo-yo stock only good at moving sideways grin. There are several stocks that will do better than Flour Mills long term or short term.

Don't get me wrong, it can do N100, but that is no fantastic margin looking at it's current price of N83.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 11:10pm On Jan 15, 2008
Mr. Risky:

I would prefer you first ask yourself if you can stand Japaul if the bonus "news" turns out to be just what it is "rumour". Can you stand when others bought at N3.95, and you are buying at N9 plus.  You may have to wait for the next one or more years if the the rumour turns out to be RUMOUR! That is the risk. At its current price, it will take half a century to recoup one's investment there!  I wish Pumping or Wendy will pump more action into this my theory or blow the Wind of risk away from it grin

Hehehehe  grin grin grin. Sorry, but there's no amount of Wind that can blow the risk away !! It's highly risky, and your theory is very correct. I'm only in it because I know the market will react like crazy to any bonus news. As it were, I've already pocketed more than 50% in returns and will even exit at anytime if I see another stock with a higher upside potential. I believe the stock can do another 30 or so percent based on the feelers I'm getting. Risky, but with the predictability and craziness of the market, the odds of winning are in my favor at least until this strategy stops working . . .    cheesy cheesy Can you imagine I bought vitafoam in the last week of december at 8.55 and exited last monday at 11.06? You do the math. That's not a company i'ld invest in for the long haul but the craziness of the market will drive down the price one time and then ramp it up again in anticipation of results, and then ramp it down again for whatever reason. It's senseless but profitable call it profitably senseless if you like, or senselessly profitable  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by esco399(m): 11:13pm On Jan 15, 2008
pumping777:

Flour wetin? I dumped that stock like 3 weeks ago. It was a yo-yo stock only good at moving sideways grin. There are several stocks that will do better than Flour Mills long term or short term.

Don't get me wrong, it can do N100, but that is no fantastic margin looking at it's current price of N83.

@ pumping, yoyo ke? what margin have you been pulling out? The low point has been around N75.00 & the high point about N82 for the past few months,  that's less than 10%,  and that's not including any broker fees or commission
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 11:15pm On Jan 15, 2008
Please Pumping, windywendy

What are the fundamentals you guys keep mentioning. I just want flow with your posts.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 11:20pm On Jan 15, 2008
esco399:

@ pumping, yoyo ke? what margin have you been pulling out? The low point has been around N75.00 & the high point about N82 for the past few months,  that's less than 10%,  and not including any broker fees & commission

By yo-yo in this case, I mean that the stock has been going sideways like I said in my post. No cyclic movement. That is why I dumped it.

No chance for a reasonable margin for the weeks I held it. A long term candidate in my opinion.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 11:20pm On Jan 15, 2008
faketan:

What are the fundamentals you guys keep mentioning. I just want flow with your posts.

Thanks

quarterly results plus growth rates in both turnover and PAT (for both the annuals and quarterlies), P/E ratios. A lot of my analysis involves assumptions based on what the company's peers are doing, what the company has historically done, what's happening in the industry, and on news I get from both my own research, rumors and discussions with my brokers etc.

Gotta run now. Wonderful week everyone!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 11:22pm On Jan 15, 2008
oga pumping, pls whats all the hullaballo about UBA, it lost 5% today, whats going on abeg.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 11:22pm On Jan 15, 2008
faketan:

Thanks

You will find some literature here.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/fundamental/03/022603.asp
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 11:25pm On Jan 15, 2008
pumping777:

windywendy:

quarterly results plus growth rates in both turnover and PAT (for both the annuals and quarterlies), P/E ratios. A lot of my analysis involves assumptions based on what the company's peers are doing, what the company has historically done, what's happening in the industry, and on news I get from both my own research, rumors and discussions with my brokers etc.

Gotta run now. Wonderful week everyone!

May God bless you windly 3 times this week.
pumping777:

May God bless you Pumpingly 4 times
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 11:29pm On Jan 15, 2008
pumping777:

Pumping just had to say it your screen name makes me smile.

I imagine you glued to laptop all the time pumping PEs and EPS.

Good work jare my brother, let the dole role in.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 11:29pm On Jan 15, 2008
Pumping 777/wendy,

My junior brother just got a margin facility of #5m and he wants to invest all in two stocks that will give him good returns within three months. Which stocks do you think he should choose. He wants me to select for him so I need some assistance here.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 11:30pm On Jan 15, 2008
shigidi:

oga pumping, please whats all the hullaballo about UBA, it lost 5% today, whats going on abeg.

Well, almost 4%.

The strongest rumour relates to an extraordinary item on the AGM agenda next Friday. UBA wants to increase it's authorized share capital to 15B and some folks feel that this is because of a PO.

I suspect it is more likely to be for a bonus. UBA is seriously due for a bonus and since they have already issued 11.5B shares out of the authorized share capital of 12B this is not possible without the increase.

Let's keep our fingers crossed sha. This is Naija. Anything can happen. Anyway, even if UBA lists 15B shares it still has better fundamentals than more than 70% of the banking stocks and can afford to cut N2 DPS.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 11:33pm On Jan 15, 2008
@FatherOf2 ,
Thanks for your gist, I will try and do some decoding grin

@faketan
Don't even try too hard, Pumping777 and Windywendy are well versed.
I just try to read in between lines and make sense of their discussion, we dey learn follow them, carry on!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 11:40pm On Jan 15, 2008
dollyp1cute:

Pumping just had to say it your screen name makes me smile.

I imagine you glued to laptop all the time pumping PEs and EPS.

Good work jare my brother, let the dole role in.

grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 11:42pm On Jan 15, 2008
tonyjon:

Pumping 777/wendy,

My junior brother just got a margin facility of #5m and he wants to invest all in two stocks that will give him good returns within three months. Which stocks do you think he should choose. He wants me to select for him so I need some assistance here.

Peace.

I think it is better you and your brother make some choices based on your own initial analsis and send to the house for further analysis.

Then based on your risk appetite and the analysis of boyz and girls in the house, you can decide.

Good luck.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 11:48pm On Jan 15, 2008
Prince11:

@faketan
Don't even try too hard, Pumping777 and Windywendy are well versed.
I just try to read in between lines and make sense of their discussion, we dey learn follow them, carry on!!

My brother I agree 100% with you. Just need to get to grips with some terminologies so that when the gurus talk, I will be able to pick the basic meanings.
For instance 'fundamentals' I am excited.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2008
pumping777:

I think it is better you and your brother make some choices based on your own initial analsis and send to the house for further analysis.

Then based on your risk appetite and the analysis of boyz and girls in the house, you can decide.

Good luck.

Thanks .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by esco399(m): 12:00am On Jan 16, 2008
pumping777:

By yo-yo in this case, I mean that the stock has been going sideways like I said in my post. No cyclic movement. That is why I dumped it.

No chance for a reasonable margin for the weeks I held it. A long term candidate in my opinion.

aahh, sorry, got you , keep up the good work man! smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gbangban(m): 12:13am On Jan 16, 2008
Got this for ZSL today.

Sharing with y'all.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nazzyon(m): 12:19am On Jan 16, 2008
Any info on PHB? After the sale of IPO's?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hardMoney: 4:40am On Jan 16, 2008
Urgent Help Request!!!!
The Zenith offer is almost at hand and I have not received my Right Circular.  I will be damed if I miss out on my rights Offer.  I know someone suggested visiting Zenith Registrar, but I am outside Nigeria.  Please Nairalanders,  any suggestions, ideas?
Please could some upload a copy for the benefit those in my predicament.  I have sent an email to Zenith but can't count on miracles at this time. 
I know if I don't get help here, there is no help elsewhere.
  angry angry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by busayobrig: 4:47am On Jan 16, 2008
i
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 7:40am On Jan 16, 2008
I am confused as what to do about UBA. My broker, for some reason failed to get my units yesterday, a blessing in disguise!

But do I go ahead and buy today or hold off?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 7:56am On Jan 16, 2008
windywendy:
And while you're at it, also look for those stocks with significant price volatility and serious volumes to trade in that should generate plenti plenti cash for your portfolio

@pumping

As wendy would say, "my thots exactly"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oore(m): 8:02am On Jan 16, 2008
hardMoney:

Urgent Help Request!!!!
The Zenith offer is almost at hand and I have not received my Right Circular.  I will be damed if I miss out on my rights Offer.  I know someone suggested visiting Zenith Registrar, but I am outside Nigeria.  Please Nairalanders,  any suggestions, ideas?
Please could some upload a copy for the benefit those in my predicament.  I have sent an email to Zenith but can't count on miracles at this time.  
I know if I don't get help here, there is no help elsewhere.
 angry angry

@hardmoney,
You visit Zenith bank website and go to the on-line offer subscription facility to apply on-line, if you know your account number with the zenith registrar, it makes it simple. Fill the form and download it for signature. You can pay on-line if you want or send the signed form to zenithbank branch with your cheque before 17th. here is the link
https://shares.zenithbank.com/zenithbankoffer/

Alternative is to contact your stockbroker to pick up the form on your behalf ASAP, you can then liase with him/her for processing.

Btw, why do you wait till this time?

(1) (2) (3) ... (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.