Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,518 members, 7,940,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 02:51 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (832617 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Najm(m): 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2007
Please will somebody tell me why Intercontinental's share certs. are taking a life time to be dispatched,I want to sell mine badly.its really messing up.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2007
stanchuks:

Please is Sterling Bank Plc on technical suspension?

No. The price moved today.

slaykay07:

Hi Guys,

What is happening to firstbank, it has lost about 5naira in just two days even though it's not yet bonus or dividend day??

Any ideas??

Profit takers and people who don't want the bonus. I'd be selling myself if I owned any.  cry Historically, people start selling well before the closure date.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 6:35pm On Aug 07, 2007
@dearstan,
I KNOW FIRST BANK WILL BE DISPATCHING IT SHARE CERTIFICATES BY 10/09/2007.
How do you know this riffy? considering that it takes other banks almost a year to release theirs.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:37pm On Aug 07, 2007
frankiriri:

Relative to what other banking stocks are doing I still think GTB is undervalued.

Frank, I'm not so sure. GTB's PE is now ~32 following the GDR. With a forecasted PAT growth rate ~45% (from GDR prospectus), you can caculate a forward PE of ~23 (and that's in ~Mar 08 when the FYE 2008 is released). Sure we know GTB is a solid bank but 45% PAT growth is not very inspiring. angry Might be time for me to sell the one I love!  cry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 7:01pm On Aug 07, 2007
Easimoni: Do you think there's any possibility that this GDR thing will turn out positive in the near future? I've got a small amount (700k) tied up in, unlike you big boys. I really don't know how to approach this GDR element.

Any help welcome.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 8:08pm On Aug 07, 2007
Is there any site that has the financial reports of some this banks like First bank. I couldnt find the latest Financial statement on first bank site.

I noticed their share price is currently lower compared to this time last year!.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by slaykay07: 8:17pm On Aug 07, 2007
Easimoni,

why do you think people would be selling before the bonus or dividend day, knowing Nigerians we love anything BONUS OR FREE,

Maybe it's another factor affecting the present price of FIRSTBANK, and why did you say you'd be selling now if you had it in yr portfoilio??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by emini30(m): 10:17pm On Aug 07, 2007
can somebody tell me about this CSCS.their website is just not opening and also NSE website.maybe am going to a wrong website.

Somebody that knows should please let me have the correct website for CSCS.

Thank you
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 10:51pm On Aug 07, 2007
Folks dont concern yourselves too much about dividends or bonuses. The good performing companies dont usually pay dividends, infact some that do have to have higher interest rates in order to come up with funds to do so.

Funny how folks only worry about when to buy, but dont set a level when they should sell.
Its no a brainer, when to sell, collect your profit, and buy back at the right time.

Also realize P/E ratios arent as important as Earnings per share (EPS) which u compare jointly with sales growth. Compare Jul 2007 to June 2006, not July 2007 to March 2007. Even if a stock's EPS shows growth for afew quarters, u want to check sales growth to make sure it can sustain it, if not it'll eventually collapse a few months later.

@slaykay, its a no brainer folks selling know they stand to gain even more in profit if they sell now, and buy back later, forget the bonus and dividends, those are meaningless, u dont get into the stock market and expect to gain much if u depend on that. If I had any, I would have sold last week! and bought back in Oct grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Egavlas(m): 11:29pm On Aug 07, 2007
@emini 30 cscs website is www.cscsnigerialtd.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Joive: 12:38am On Aug 08, 2007
This is for those who want to site back and earn high on their investments. www.greengold-investment.com. The story is different with us.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 1:42am On Aug 08, 2007
Omoba3:

Easimoni: Do you think there's any possibility that this GDR thing will turn out positive in the near future? I've got a small amount (700k) tied up in, unlike you big boys. I really don't know how to approach this GDR element.

Any help welcome.

It very well could. The (only?) upside is if they manage to convert the extra funds into earnings faster than anticipated (in the prospectus). Otherwise, it's going to be a loooong wait to N40. There could also be another bull run to push Bank PEs well into the 30s but I doubt it.

BTW, 700k? You're not doing too bad! Who be big boy! tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 1:46am On Aug 08, 2007
slaykay07:

Easimoni,

why do you think people would be selling before the bonus or dividend day, knowing Nigerians we love anything BONUS OR FREE,

Maybe it's another factor affecting the present price of FIRSTBANK, and why did you say you'd be selling now if you had it in yr portfoilio??

I'd be selling because I don't wait for bonuses (I have a colleague still waiting for his conoil bonus from ~2yrs ago). Must be a sell-off by people who think it's peaked or don't want the bonus (some peeps have figured out bonus is not always in the stocks best interest)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 1:49am On Aug 08, 2007
yodiyokun:

Is there any site that has the financial reports of some this banks like First bank. I couldnt find the latest Financial statement on first bank site.

I noticed their share price is currently lower compared to this time last year!.

Your name still makes me laugh cheesy

You are comparing the price to beofre they did the 1-for-1 "bonus" from last yr. Adjusted to last year, today's real price is ~N100. Can't help you with the financials, contact your broker (if they are any good).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 10:49am On Aug 08, 2007
at easimoni,

i am still waiting for ur opinion on the sterling offer,

is it worth it or not,
i did not do any fiancials so this is solely based on SENTIMENT
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 11:07am On Aug 08, 2007
I think one of the mistakes people make is holding onto stocks that are going down. The same way u set your buy price, you set your sell price. I'd encourage folks to get a good book on Stock trading period before getting into the NSE. Right now even with its bullish phase, the average joe isnt really profiting much not because the opportunity doesnt exist but because they rely on their broker, some random analyst, or even this forum to tell them what they should do, such as "should I sell?"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 11:20am On Aug 08, 2007
Naijadr:

I think one of the mistakes people make is holding onto stocks that are going down. The same way u set your buy price, you set your sell price. I'd encourage folks to get a good book on Stock trading period before getting into the NSE. Right now even with its bullish phase, the average joe isnt really profiting much not because the opportunity doesnt exist but because they rely on their broker, some random analyst, or even this forum to tell them what they should do, such as "should I sell?"

Set your Sell price?

While i see your perogative, i have to disagree with you on that investing philiosophy. It does not work with all situations. IF you have bought at a good price a value stock i.e. a company whose balance sheet speaks for them and has inherent room for expansion championed by a diligent and transparent mgmt, the fact that the price goes down should not prompt you to sell just because you set a sell price. In fact for a stock with good fundamentals, a lower price should make you consider buying more units.

Price can go down in the short term for many reasons ranging from rumours, sentiment to panic to market forces et al. A good stock is a good stock and the market will catch up with it in time. Do you want to sell a good stock because it has gone below your sell price even if the reason for the price drop was a baseless rumour?

For short term investors however and speculators, news from variety of sources becomes very important. A company with good press will suddenly appreciate and one wih negative press will move southward.

A better logic is to ask is "Why is a particular stock going down?", that can be a pointer to sell.

i agree with you on the need for investor education tho. I love reading investment books and i have a lot but none answers these daily questions, thats why investors need to interact and rub heads together.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by skylower(m): 11:45am On Aug 08, 2007
Pls wheres the best website for monitoring shares online?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 1:33pm On Aug 08, 2007
@ Temmie10,

well said!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanchuks(m): 2:58pm On Aug 08, 2007
@ the Gurus in particular & All
I sent a post in another topic of this forum for the sale of my Transcorp shares and got three people willing to buy, the highest was 9, i bought for 9.71 on the floor, i had agreed to sell it, then on second thought i felt i should let my broker know what i was about to do, he then ask me if i have not being listening to the news lately on transcorp
Not that i need cash now, but maybe by the end of the year i might
Based on rumor or what's in the news, my question is "WOULD IT BE RIGHT FOR ME TO SELL IT OFF NOW OR LEAVE IT FOR LATER?"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nossycheek(f): 3:15pm On Aug 08, 2007
I learnt CCNN rights issue is on. How can I get the form?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nossycheek(f): 3:24pm On Aug 08, 2007
My 620k have been lying idle with my brokers for over 3 weeks. The truth is that any good stock I demand for is not available. I don't even know the ones to buy any longer. I wanted to buy Guinea Insurance no way. FBN no way. Lasaco who sai. I beg advice me on what stocks to hold for a short time as I need to sell off before Dec and buy during the price drop in Dec and Jan
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 3:45pm On Aug 08, 2007
which kin broker you dey use? --- can it really be that bad
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 4:15pm On Aug 08, 2007
Does anyone think union bank is a good buy at this time?
will that stock do well in the near future?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by slaykay07: 4:24pm On Aug 08, 2007
Sweetmodel,

Pls this thread is basically for stocks not any other form of business or yahoozie. Na beg i dey beg ooo.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 4:41pm On Aug 08, 2007
@stanchuks,

TransCorp is a mid-long term stock. I believe it'll be double it's current value by the end of next year if not earlier. There is a lot going on in the company now with Sat3 (broadband, cable TV, and land lines) and MTEL. Once they start working their SAT3 asset, they'll gain some market share, as their offering will be much cheaper than existing competition.

The effort now within the company is geared towards ensuring the price does not drop too much once the suspension is lifted in about a month, so expect some mopping up of shares (perhaps with funds provided by strategic investors to be anounced soon). Even if the price dropped, it's bound to rebound. There is still a lot of money to be made in Telecoms in Nigeria. What we have is the very basic stuff, with plenty of room for service improvement and new products offerings.

So to answer your question, it depends on what you need the money for. If you're in need of cash now, then there is no argument there. If you're looking to diversify, then consider the opportunity cost of taking your money elsewhere.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 4:59pm On Aug 08, 2007
I have just joined the forum so this is my first message. I bought my UBA shares since last year on an average price of 13.60. Do you think i should still hold on to the stock? Does any one forcast any major increase in the share price? kindly advise.
Also what do u forcast the price of access bank rising to?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by slaykay07: 5:14pm On Aug 08, 2007
Access bank around N25-27
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 08, 2007
JAPAUL OIL Interview with the Group's President
click here for full story , http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/business/august07/08072007/b208072007.html
We have filed our application with the NSE and Securities and  Exchange Commission (SEC) and we are expecting our approval soon. By God’s grace we would be coming to the market by say  middle of September, 2007 if all things being equal.

, Our share price has been placed on technical suspension by the NSE.  We would be given a discount of about 35 per cent, not  even any of the big banks have been able to give such discount considering the small market price.

If an investor commits N1 million in any of the big bank and another investor commit the same N1 million in Japaul, then when  you compare the capital appreciation and returns you will discover that the investor that invested in Japaul will get higher  capital appreciation and returns. Japaul offer will be better than all offer that have been issued.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:10pm On Aug 08, 2007
lawalidowu:

I have just joined the forum so this is my first message. I bought my UBA shares since last year on an average price of 13.60. Do you think i should still hold on to the stock? Does any one forcast any major increase in the share price? kindly advise.
Also what do u forcast the price of access bank rising to?

UBA's additional shares from the PO will be listed any day now. That may be why people have not responded +ively to the impressive results just released. Don't see a major increase again this year, esp. since the FY may not be released till Dec. I think it's peaked and is now only a long-term play.

Thing is, if you sell, what would you buy? That's my current dilemma.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by slaykay07: 7:25pm On Aug 08, 2007
EMMACHILE, Great news on JAPAUL OIL. Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by slaykay07: 7:49pm On Aug 08, 2007
Easimon and frankiki,

How come we all never spoke about Skye bank shelter fund?

Can people start coming up with intelligent opinions about it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.