Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,140 members, 7,949,933 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 11:54 PM

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC - Health (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC (5524069 Views)

Pregnant After Trying To Conceive (ttc)?pls Come In To Chat/share With Others!! / Weight Loss/gain For Ladies Trying To Conceive / How To Conceive A Baby Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (3057) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by delphilia: 9:10am On Aug 06, 2010
yes o, im keeping a positive attitude, @ Ejademen my dear sister, CONGRATS !!!!!! what god has started in your life, he will surely perfect, so fear not and dont be worried. dear some of us are using you as a point of encouragement and contact in our prayers. pls dont get your self worked up unnecessarily, get closer to God, rest more. eat healthy and watch God surprise you this season.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Ejadamen(f): 3:41pm On Aug 06, 2010
Thanks delphilia,I'm honored to be used a s a point of contact in prayers. I have decided to be at peace and trust in God.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Arlington(f): 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2010
Hello ladies how are you all doing? I hope great what are the plans for the weekend? Me staying home on Saturday church on sunday and maybe a movie who knows no energy to go out.

@ Ejedamen babe try and relax I know you are worried i think it is not a very painful process put God in Control and look for a good doctor.
@ Divab thank You for the prayers .
Looking for  baby names this weekend some of the names my Husband has suggested lipsrsealed it is better i just call this child papa Ajasco angry
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by semid4lyfe(m): 3:52pm On Aug 06, 2010
Wow! Lovely thread.

Never knew TTC meant trying to concieve until today.

God go do am for all of una

1 Like

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by MyPeace(f): 4:16pm On Aug 06, 2010
Arlington:

Hello ladies how are you all doing? I hope great what are the plans for the weekend? Me staying home on Saturday church on sunday and maybe a movie who knows no energy to go out.

@ Ejedamen babe try and relax I know you are worried i think it is not a very painful process put God in Control and look for a good doctor.
@ Divab thank You for the prayers .
Looking for baby names this weekend some of the names my Husband has suggested lipsrsealed it is better i just call this child papa Ajasco angry

lol you are watching too much naija dramas

l think Pa James or Alinco will be better grin

Have a great weekend dear!
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Divab(f): 8:05am On Aug 07, 2010
Ejadamen:

@labella12 and Aladunni, I was told that my last MC was caused by premature rupture of membrane. Before it ruptured however,the baby was just coming out and I didn't know. That happened at 20 weeks. It was like giving birth without labour pains and suddenly there was water everywhere. That's when I was rushed to the hospital. From all I have read that sounds like incompetent cervix to me. I do understand about confirming first though. I am looking for a good hospital right now because I am in a new town.

Ejadamen, its human to be scared due to past experience but put everything in the hands of God, He is so faithful as He is, believe me, Talk to him as child will talk to her daddy, He will direct you, I will keep you in my prayers,

@ada24 my sister, my period stopped after only one day, since then i have been going thru a helluva of hormones, from tension headache, to waistpain, eating like a glutton, lol to spitting, I dont know what it means, oooooooo, am afraid to do any test now,

@ Arlington, d chinese waits after delivery to name their babies, i heard they drop spoons on the ground and name after the sounds, like chin chang, lol, just go be the flow dear, be inspired.
@semid4lyfe,

thanks dear, keep on prayer for us,

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 07, 2010
Na Wa O - Pap's age don effect Fertility[size=10pt][/size]

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/preconception/activelytrying/ageandfertility/

Dads: how your age affects your fertility and your baby's health (referenced)
Dads are getting older

Age and your fertility

Age and your child's health

Down's syndrome and other conditions

What can you do?

References

Send to a friend

Printable version

Dads are getting older

More and more of us are leaving it later in life to start a family, and the sight of silver-haired dads proudly wearing a baby sling is becoming increasingly familiar. While childbearing for women ends at the menopause, men can go on fathering children into their 50s, 60s and 70s; just take a look at Michael Douglas, Paul McCartney and Des O'Connor.

But while the rising age of first-time mothers is a hot topic of debate in the national press, the impact of men's age on their fertility and the health of their children has largely been ignored.

Age and your fertility

For years it was assumed that men's fertility remains the same from puberty until they die. However, it seems that, like women, men have a biological clock ticking away their reproductive years. Although men in their 70s or even 80s can, and do, father children, a man this age is more likely to take years rather than months to get his partner pregnant.

As men age, their testes become smaller and softer and the volume, morphology (shape) and motility (ability to move) of their sperm declines (Kidd et al 2001). This makes it more difficult for the sperm to fertilise an egg. A study published in 2000 found that, in couples who successfully go on to have a baby, the probability that the couple will take longer than a year to conceive is about eight per cent when the man is under 25, but almost doubles to 15 per cent when the man is over 35 (Ford et al 2000). What's more, a woman whose partner is at least five years older than her has less chance of conceiving within a year than a woman whose partner is the same age as her, irrespective of her age. It's thought that the odds on conceiving within a year of trying decrease by three per cent for every year that the man is over the age of 24 (Ford et al 2000).

These changes aren't as sudden or noticeable as the female menopause, but happen gradually over time. The quality of one man's sperm can deteriorate more slowly over time than another's. Older men can also develop medical conditions, such as diabetes, that interfere with their libido or ability to get an erection. Don't throw in the towel just yet, though, as not all men will have these problems, particularly if they maintain their health and fitness.

Age and your child's health

The effects of age on sperm are not just limited to a decline in volume, shape and motility. There's also growing evidence that the offspring of older fathers run an increased risk of genetic abnormalities and other long-term health problems. This is because older men tend to have more sperm with DNA mutations (Tarin et al 1998). Both younger and older men develop damaged or unhealthy sperm, but usually a process called apoptosis eliminates any defective sperm. A study published in 2003 found that apoptosis did not occur as efficiently in the older men and that there was a higher percentage of damaged sperm in the semen of men aged 36-57 years than in those of men aged 20-35 years (Singh et al 2003).

Down's syndrome and other conditions

The increased chance of an older woman having a baby with Down's syndrome has been well documented. However, a large study carried out in New York discovered that, among mothers aged 40 or more, 50 per cent of the risk of Down's syndrome was attributable to the advanced age of the father (Fisch et al 2003). Even larger studies have since confirmed a slightly increasing risk of congenital abnormalities, such as Down's, as the father's age increases (Yang et al 2007; Zhu et al 2005). However, the authors of the largest study, of 77,514 baby's with birth defects in Canada concluded that overall the association between birth defects and paternal age is weak (Yang et al 2007).

Other, conditions that have been related to paternal age include achondroplasia, a type of dwarfism, and Marfan syndrome, which is a condition with cardio vascular problems and abnormal length of the extremities, especially the fingers and toes. Bear in mind, though, that these conditions are extremely rare and, even for an older father, the risk of having an affected child is extremely low (Rolf and Neischlag 2001).

Links have also been found between paternal age and longer term health problems such as, childhood leukaemia (Dockerty et al 2001) and schizophrenia (Malaspina et al 2002; Sipos et al 2004). While childhood leukaemia is also strongly linked to maternal age and environmental factors, schizophrenia seems to appear in children with older fathers where there is no previous family history. As research in this area grows, it should become clear whether these associations are down to mutations in the DNA of older father's sperm or whether there are other factors at play.

What can you do?

So that's the bad news; now for the good. There is plenty you can do to look after yourself and keep your fertility and potency in tip-top condition. For a start, you can put yourself on that diet you've been meaning to start. A man's waist size is directly proportional to his testosterone level. All fat cells break down testosterone, but belly fat destroys testosterone fastest of all. So the higher a man's waist measurement, the lower his testosterone level. Just to prove that it's not just your age that matters, a recent study concluded that an extra 4-5 points on your BMI (body mass index) can reduce your testosterone levels to that of a man ten years older than you (Travison et al 2007). A waist size of 40 inches (102 centimetres) or more is also a risk factor for heart disease in men (Yusuf et al 2005). Heart disease slows blood flow throughout the body, and that includes your penis.

You may also want to go over other aspects of your lifestyle that could impact on your fertility. And consider having an MOT with your GP or a "well man" check with the practice nurse. Common causes of male infertility include clogged ejaculatory ducts and enlarged veins in the scrotum, called varicoceles. All of these conditions are treatable. (Read more about the causes of infertility.)

Finally, you can comfort yourself with the fact that, while male fertility may gradually decline with the years, the majority of chaps will still be fertile and functioning at 60 and beyond. Compared with the fertility freefall that women experience after the age of 35, that's quite something.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 07, 2010
So then we should target younger men then. Lol!!
Sharp sharp belle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Mauricemoh: 11:52pm On Aug 08, 2010
Inability of a woman to conceive may depend on many factors. However with faith and prayer I belief one day you will be able to have a child of your own.  However there are medical and natural methods you can use that will enable you to get pregnant fast. For all of you who are looking for the fruit of the womb  kindly visit the following site on HOW TO GET PREGNANT FAST:www.familyparent..com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by MyPeace(f): 10:10am On Aug 09, 2010
How are you preggies doing and the expectant mummies tongue

Welcoming u to another wonderful week!!!

My update

DPO 13.

Nothing too different for now.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Ejadamen(f): 12:01pm On Aug 09, 2010
Hi all,my update nausea,nausea,nausea,fatigue and did I mention nausea?
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by readydad(m): 12:50pm On Aug 09, 2010
Hey men and women trying to conceive! the internet is really great. Being able to talk so freely about this hitherto hush hush issue is awesome. The resources too are limitless. Stumbled upon this thread and also on this one from another site and thought to share it, I believe it would be useful for all TTCs:

http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/board,9.0.html

All the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Arlington(f): 4:31pm On Aug 09, 2010
Not to sound annoying but i am getting slightly irritated by people who just come in here one time  and drop links on how to get pregnant or advertise for some mumbo jumbo thing. We really appreciate all your info, but  it is getting annoying , you know nothing about the people here you just think everyone has the same issues so sending a link on how to hump from The 9th day to 14 day of ovulation is the magic trick or someone chewing your herbal stick will make them pregnant presto!!! angry maybe i am just hormonal today who knows but this is how i feel. angry

Moving on,  Hello my people i am fine i thank God can not complain  just taking each day a step at a time.
I am just having some wicked back pain trying to find a good sleeping position getting hard and i think this child has tuned my bladder into a trampoline because yesterday on my way to church i peed 4 times in 10 minutes not fun at all but i will just  smiley
My peace  No be small Boy Alinco  i say i don rest for the matter for now before i give my self brain gay. I am thinking that stages has dropped the baby oh has anyone heard from her?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by luvly(f): 7:41pm On Aug 09, 2010
I was thinking about stages 2.maybe she don offload.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by vinibabe: 10:22am On Aug 10, 2010
Hi all, tanx Arlington for starting this thread, its been so helpful. I pray God will grant d preg ones safe delivery and grant those ttc too me. I ve been follwing this thread 4 sometimes now, but becos am using my phone to browse it taking me longtime 2 read all d post b4 contributing. I hope am welcome here? I ve been ttc 4 past 1yr now but not. Was not in dsame town with my hus b4 but we ve been together 4 d past 7months now but noting yet. I ve gone 2 see a Doctor, told him i ve a regular period of 26/27 days, do ve painful menses and pain sometimes at d right side of my stomach.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by vinibabe: 10:40am On Aug 10, 2010
Still continue with my post. I ve 2 post that cos if i type 2 much with my phone it goes off. So as i said earlier i told d Doctor all my problem and how am scared d pain at d right side of my stomach could firbriod, d Doc just pressed d side of stomach and told me noting. I thought he was going 2 run some test on me but no. Gave me some drugs he said becos of any infection, i couldn't finishe d drug becos i was reactin 2 it. Now am on a drug called Ikaclomin, i think is same thing with Clomid bn talked abt here, am on it for d 2nd month now and am begining 2 worry. The thing is where i start? I want 2 know wat is wrong with me and which test do i start with? Tanx all
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by vinibabe: 11:03am On Aug 10, 2010
The pain mostly is at d left side of my stomach. I want people's opinion pls
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by MyPeace(f): 12:03pm On Aug 10, 2010
vinibabe:

The pain mostly is at d left side of my stomach. I want people's opinion pls

ls the pain a constant pain? Or does it comes at a particular time of every month? lf the later is the case, then it could be ovulation pain. l have it when l really do ovulate and it could be so painful that bd could be a problem.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Arlington(f): 12:05pm On Aug 10, 2010
hello Vinibabe,
Of course you are welcome here.As you know we are not  doctors just women and men trying to help each other and share ideas so sometimes we can only speculate on a particular situation.
The pain on your right side is it just constant everyday and everytime or you get it during your period or after?
You said you are worried with the Ikaclomin is it giving you any side effects or you are just worried nothing is happening?you also said left side pain is that all the time as well?
You might have to change doctors if you really feel something is wrong for a second opinion nobody knows your body better than your self.
Have you tried feeling where this pain comes from to see there is a lump or anything there?
sorry i am asking a lot of questions  smiley
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by readydad(m): 12:28pm On Aug 10, 2010
Arlington:

Not to sound annoying but i am getting slightly irritated by people who just come in here one time and drop links on how to get pregnant or advertise for some mumbo jumbo thing. We really appreciate all your info, but it is getting annoying , you know nothing about the people here you just think everyone has the same issues so sending a link on how to hump from The 9th day to 14 day of ovulation is the magic trick or someone chewing your herbal stick will make them pregnant presto!!! angry maybe i am just hormonal today who knows but this is how i feel. angry

Moving on, Hello my people i am fine i thank God can not complain just taking each day a step at a time.
I am just having some wicked back pain trying to find a good sleeping position getting hard and i think this child has tuned my bladder into a trampoline because yesterday on my way to church i peed 4 times in 10 minutes not fun at all but i will just smiley
My peace No be small Boy Alinco i say i don rest for the matter for now before i give my self brain gay. I am thinking that stages has dropped the baby oh has anyone heard from her?

Haba Arlington mom-to be, it must be the hormones talking oh! pele anyway for the back pain, it will surely ease off after the baby comes(I speak as an experienced papa of 3 girls). I came upon this thread after posting a problem on how to easily concieve a boy pikin in another thread and found this one equally interesting. The link some of us post is to help other posters find possible solutions, afterall we also freely got the info and spreading it does no harm surely? unless of course if this thread is meant only for a real MD, I believe its a free world to share information and it is left to the consumer's discretion to select what to take or leave.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by vinibabe: 12:37pm On Aug 10, 2010
Tanx Arlington and peace. The pain is mostly at d left side of my tummy, somtimes its at d right side. I dont feel any lump but somtimes if i touch d side i can feel it. Its off and on, this is aside my menses pain.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Arlington(f): 12:44pm On Aug 10, 2010
Readydad at least you did not plug in to sell us some magical chewing stick so i no vex with you oh grin
I was just cranky on that day and was reading  through posts and saw some hearbal medication ,links ,church names called out etc.  some links are sometimes insensitive (i know it is the web no control on nothing)and the last thing we women need here is someone just thinking they know the very root of everyones problem was just making sure nobody was disturbing my sisters here.so just said how i felt no hard feelings towards you.And of course this place is for everyone just that some links and posts just tie my brain in a knot.
Meanwhile let me yab you small since i am still crancky and my husband has gone to work and you are the man that came my way i was on my own jeje je so,
You are looking for method to have boys? grin grin you men una no dey taya oh so the girls are decoration abi? if you find the method post it here oh. grin
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by readydad(m): 1:23pm On Aug 10, 2010
Arlington:

Readydad at least you did not plug in to sell us some magical chewing stick so i no vex with you oh grin
I was just cranky on that day and was reading through posts and saw some hearbal medication ,links ,church names called out etc. some links are sometimes insensitive (i know it is the web no control on nothing)and the last thing we women need here is someone just thinking they know the very root of everyones problem was just making sure nobody was disturbing my sisters here.so just said how i felt no hard feelings towards you.And of course this place is for everyone just that some links and posts just tie my brain in a knot.
Meanwhile let me yab you small since i am still crancky and my husband has gone to work and you are the man that came my way i was on my own jeje je so,
You are looking for method to have boys? grin grin you men una no dey taya oh so the girls are decoration abi? if you find the method post it here oh. grin

lol mama-bonboy or baby, thank God u that did not vex for me o! I fear vexed pregnant women cry they are awesome n their element. No be me want boy o! na my wife. She insists and am scared for us not to hit baby number 10 in her quest! Me, I love my girls(and they are beautiful and precious I tell u). Keep ya fingers crossed for us. I am searching all sites and all helpful sources. That link up helped with other issues sha!
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Aladunni(f): 12:57pm On Aug 12, 2010
So much cramps, AF starts today. With pinkish spotting at noon yesterday.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by youngestpr(m): 8:25pm On Aug 12, 2010
Pele o ojo a ko layo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Aladunni(f): 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2010
^^^ meaning
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by MyPeace(f): 4:05pm On Aug 13, 2010
my pple l will be offline till 24th.  taking out time to read  and write exam.  when am thru l will resume 'interneting'. So dont start looking for me o grin l will update when l come back, l pray l come back with good news for u guys.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by abiop: 6:45pm On Aug 13, 2010
^^^ Best of luck and may U come back with the good news grin grin
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by luvly(f): 11:10am On Aug 15, 2010
Where is everybody?
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Aladunni(f): 8:58am On Aug 16, 2010
Updates: Refuse to count nothing. A different passion now, DIET PLAN, lol. @mypeace, all the best in ur papers.
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by Arlington(f): 11:09pm On Aug 16, 2010
Hello hello,
My peace has said not to start the hunt looking for her she has gone to write exams i wish you good luck mypeace grin
Stages ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh update us i begggg.
Me today's update heart burn more heart burn and i am thankful to God smiley
Re: Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC by ada24: 8:59am On Aug 17, 2010
Arlington:

Hello hello,
My peace has said not to start the hunt looking for her she has gone to write exams i wish you good luck mypeace grin
Stages ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh update us i begggg.
Me today's update heart burn more heart burn and i am thankful to God smiley

yes i have been getting that as well, not really bothering me for now as the stomach pain is just something else.

Baby is fine had a scare yesterday, but baby is fine and I thank God. 20 weeks tomorrow.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (3057) (Reply)

Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.