Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,462 members, 7,951,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 08:26 AM

Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? (20820 Views)

Poll: Nigeria or your Ethnicity?

Nigeria: 52% (20 votes)
Ethnicity: 47% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Emma Anyanwu Disowns His Son, Charles, Loyal To Amaechi / Wike Sacks Board Of Directors Loyal To Amaechi / Photos: Thugs Loyal To PDP Allegedly Attack APC Chieftain In Gombe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 4:57pm On Sep 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

There are about no signs that that small minority happen to have increased in number over the past 40 years. I would venture to claim that the number has actually been dropping since 1966 and what we hve today are a couple of folks desperate to spread the word and claim the majority to get noticed.

Wow, are you serious? Okay, let me not argue, no arguing needed. Just look at the poll in this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-299456.0.html
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 15, 2009
is nairaland now people's universe?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 5:55pm On Sep 15, 2009
tpia.:

is nairaland now people's universe?

Last I heard the internet was part of the universe. . . .
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by citizenY(m): 6:25pm On Sep 15, 2009
[b]@Nairaland politicians,

Honestly, we are all lilly livered armchair critics .we are all selfish, opinionated loosers who go no balls whatsoever.
We hide behind ethnicity to be throwing barbs at each other instead of facing reality.

My poser

1) If you really feel bad and hate another group so vehemently, arrange a walkout-- or call people of likeminds and get out
2)If you feel you are bold, get your representative or senator to move a motion for any change you want in the polity
3) You know your oppressors are the people you elected/selected to go to Abuja and your state capitals and they are not serving right and
cannot confront them. You did not vote for them and you kept quiet
4) When you have any difficulties- it is the fault of Hausaman/Igbo?Yoruba as the case might be
5) The cabal exploiting you is the same - military/political elite and they are located as follows

-politicians and businessmen/contractors who steal your votes , corrupt the system and bank balances ( latest fad)
-lawyers and judges who manufacture judgments and injunctions for the ODili's and Ibori"s of our time
- Ethnic jingoists in MEND/MAssoB /Afenifere/ Arewa etc etc who provide cover for all our phobias and ventilate them.
- spineless people who occupy the civil service/ government positions in INEC, PTF/NDDC ETC.

Nigerians, tell me who among these is not your brother, inlaw, uncle or tribesman or classmate. YEt you cannot face him , even at your village meeting.

NA for Nairaland you go dey blow grammar and throw abuse and champion assaults on each other. Your problem dey for your village, go cure am then come back make we move on, [/b]
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 6:40pm On Sep 15, 2009
ezeagu:

Wow, are you serious? Okay, let me not argue, no arguing needed. Just look at the poll in this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-299456.0.html

Here is the result again:

Those for division - 71.2%
Those against division - 28.8%

My interpretation:

This survey is by no means scientific, but it reflects the views of the most active members of our society. No one comes to NL Politics section unless he/she is really interested in the politics of Nigeria. Mark my word, there are top members of the Nigerian ruling class on NL. They mask their identity of course, but they are here. So, that poll is important.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 7:00pm On Sep 15, 2009
citizenY:

@Nairaland politicians,

Honestly, we are all lilly livered armchair critics .we are all selfish, opinionated loosers who go no balls whatsoever.
We hide behind ethnicity to be throwing barbs at each other instead of facing reality.

My poser

1) If you really feel bad and hate another group so vehemently, arrange a walkout-- or call people of likeminds and get out

What if you have a gun pointed to your head?

2)If you feel you are bold, get your representative or senator to move a motion for any change you want in the polity
3) You know your oppressors are the people you elected/selected to go to Abuja and your state capitals and they are not serving right and
cannot confront them. You did not vote for them and you kept quiet

What if they are guarded by heavily armed mobile policemen?

4) When you have any difficulties- it is the fault of Hausaman/Igbo?Yoruba as the case might be
5) The cabal exploiting you is the same - military/political elite and they are located as follows

This is a clear lie!

-politicians and businessmen/contractors who steal your votes , corrupt the system and bank balances ( latest fad)
-lawyers and judges who manufacture judgments and injunctions for the ODili's and Ibori"s of our time

WHat do you expect an average Nigerian to do about that

- Ethnic jingoists in MEND/MAssoB /Afenifere/ Arewa etc etc who provide cover for all our phobias and ventilate them.

They are the only thing real about Nigeria, so face it and live with it!

- spineless people who occupy the civil service/ government positions in INEC, PTF/NDDC ETC.

More like THIEVES!

Nigerians, tell me who among these is not your brother, inlaw, uncle or tribesman or classmate. YEt you cannot face him , even at your village meeting.

NONE! When those people you allude to come home from abuja, they don't attend village meetings! So they are not my brothers or sisters. They will be lynched by the angry villagers!

NA for Nairaland you go dey blow grammar and throw abuse and champion assaults on each other. Your problem dey for your village, go cure am then come back make we move on, [/b]

NA  LIE! Remove police and army protection from those people and you will see what will happen!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 7:05pm On Sep 15, 2009
^Tell am jare!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by citizenY(m): 7:20pm On Sep 15, 2009
I notice that you have not taken the following into consideration :-

We are responsible for our calamities if we refuse to take our destinies in our hands
We are the voters and these people represent us. The Problem starts from nomination
so join parties and the political process where you can effect change from within.

If the cabal i mentioned are not the ones exploiting you, identify the culprit. If your
representative did not gain from it, he must have been asleep and it will be your fault,
you chose the wrong person.

I am saying that we should not leave politics to the politicians. Let us all join and effect the desired changes.
Our fears usually limits our horizon and reduces us to local champions where a more purposeful national platform
is required and at all times we should identify our objectives.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by lawrence83: 7:23pm On Sep 15, 2009
None of dem
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 7:24pm On Sep 15, 2009
citizenY:

We are responsible for our calamities if we refuse to take our destinies in our hands
We are the voters and these people represent us. The Problem starts from nomination
so join parties and the political process where you can effect change from within.

If the cabal i mentioned are not the ones exploiting you, identify the culprit. If your
representative did not gain from it, he must have been asleep and it will be your fault,

I am saying that we should not leave politics to the politicians. Let us all join and effect the desired changes.
Our fears usually limits our horizon and reduces us to local champions where a more purposeful national platform

Join politics and make changes from the inside. . . When I can't hire Boyloaf? shocked
Get real man!

PS. Thanks for unbolding your post; the previous one was very difficult to read.

You want to take on the "cabal" without packing heat? Na suicide be dat o!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 7:40pm On Sep 15, 2009
citizenY:

you are correct people always blame corrupt leaders on rigging and all sort of BS

Its impossible to have over 20,000 corrupt politicians in a country unless the people themselves are corrupt

It starts from citizens themselves who eventually run for office.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by chic2pimp(m): 10:25pm On Sep 15, 2009
Onlytruth:

Here is the result again:

Those for division - 71.2%
Those against division - 28.8%

My interpretation:

This survey is by no means scientific, but it reflects the views of the most active members of our society. No one comes to NL Politics section unless he/she is really interested in the politics of Nigeria. Mark my word, there are top members of the Nigerian ruling class on NL. They mask their identity of course, but they are here. So, that poll is important.
Three set of lies were told in the part I highlighted.

First lie 'It reflects the views of the most active members of our society'. Thats a fat lie. It reflects nothing. A few Tribalists on NL votes on an issue and it suddenly reflects the views of active members of our society. C'mon now,get real buddy.

Second lie 'No one comes to NL Politics section unless he/she is really interested in politics of Nigeria'. Thats another lie. I know for a fact a lot of peeps go on the NL politics section just to cause aggro(they know exactly what buttons to push to achieve this). Some NL members also go there just for laffs and nothing serious.

The Third and Final Lie 'Mark my word,there are top members of the ruling class on NL'   Oh come now who do ya think u are talking to? Kids? undecided. Until u show evidence proving otherwise,that statement can only be seen as false.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 10:41pm On Sep 15, 2009
chic2pimp:

. . .The Third and Final Lie 'Mark my word,there are top members of the ruling class on NL' Oh come now who do ya think u are talking to? Kids? undecided. Until u show evidence proving otherwise,that statement can only be seen as false.

So am I only dreaming am posting from Aso Rock?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Kobojunkie: 10:44pm On Sep 15, 2009
People actually believe a poll here on nairaland mirrors reality?? Roflmao!!!! If it was so, why do we continue to have what we have ooo?? Roflmao!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by chic2pimp(m): 11:03pm On Sep 15, 2009
Beaf:

So am I only dreaming am posting from Aso Rock?
Yes oooo. Your own palava even pass dream. U don kolo for head tongue

Kobojunkie:

People actually believe a poll here on nairaland mirrors reality?? Roflmao!!!! If it was so, why do we continue to have what we have ooo?? Roflmao!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy
Na so we see am ooooo grin cheesy grin
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 12:12am On Sep 16, 2009
sjeezy8:

It starts from citizens themselves who eventually run for office.

So why do you think the citizens are like that, baring in mind these are people who's ancestors built great empires, and failure is not in their DNA?

Kobojunkie:

People actually believe a poll here on nairaland mirrors reality?? Roflmao!!!! If it was so, why do we continue to have what we have ooo?? Roflmao!!!  grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy

Even if it was 20,000 people to one that voted on the streets of Nigeria they will say it's not reality. No, nairaland does not mirror reality but we can spend time on 10,000+ post's talking to imagineray figures with imaginary opinions. This place is obviously sieving out a select group of Nigerian's who are completely detached from the rest of the population, which is why the 70%+ who voted for spearation should be ignored.

Just because someone doesn't run down the street, flailing their arms while holding an Arewa, Biafra or Odua republic flag, doesn't mean a thing. Nigerian people obviously know their history and it's politically incorrect for someone to say their for separation, which is why nairaland's separatists remain extremely anonymous. If the majority of Nigerian's did not want to break away to their original nations, then there would be big backlashes (and I mean dozens of people, no one or two people who actually secretly for separation) against these kind's of thread's, if you read the comments in that link, then you would see that is not the case.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Kobojunkie: 12:15am On Sep 16, 2009
chic2pimp:

No mind them!! Any person who is serious and honest would admit that here on nairaland, it is the same small group of folks that frequent threads on separation/ethnic division etc. I mean come on!! I can compile a list of those who Likely voted and there are thousands more who did not even bother. so, do we take the opinion of those who frequent these biased threads to mean much for all?? Come on!! Roflmao!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 12:36am On Sep 16, 2009
Only separatist voted? Oh, okay. 42 of them? Oh, and all 42 of them frequent Nairaland with separatist posts? Alright. sad
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 12:51am On Sep 16, 2009
--Saunters in, all cool; calmly drops fridge on the Pimps foot and orders Rafiu to lock him up till he's good---

chic2pimp:

If I think I'm in Aso, then I must be in Aso Rock. grin

@topic
The truth lies somewhere between Ezeagu's position and yours + Kobojunkie's. Currently, I am for restructuring our federal architecture toward 100% resource control and quasi-autonomous regional entities; failing that, we must seperate.

The most powerful motivation for my position is that there is actual hatred between regions / ethnic groups. How do you explain a country repeatedly dropping bombs on its own people, not even in a single event, but across several years.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by merge(f): 12:54am On Sep 16, 2009
My Ethnicity

Igbo
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Kobojunkie: 12:57am On Sep 16, 2009
Beaf:

--Saunters in, all cool; calmly drops fridge on the Pimps foot and orders Rafiu to lock him up till he's good---
If I think I'm in Aso, then I must be in Aso Rock. grin

@topic
The truth lies somewhere between Ezeagu's position and yours + Kobojunkie's. Currently, I am for restructuring our federal architecture toward 100% resource control and quasi-autonomous regional entities; failing that, we must seperate.

The most powerful motivation for my position is that there is actual hatred between regions / ethnic groups. How do you explain a country repeatedly dropping bombs on its own people, not even in a single event, but across several years.

I completely disagree with the line in bold there. Just because you have a couple who are so bigoted and allow themselves be played, and used by 1% for political games, does not, I repeat, does not mean there is REAL HATRED between regions/ethnic groups. Same way could not back some decades ago that because there were rampant racial killings, and racism in America, America could not survive with blacks and whites living side by side.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 1:08am On Sep 16, 2009
^The big difference is that, in Nigeria it is 100% black dropping bombs on 100% black. To do the job effectively, without fail; they ship in goons from other ethnic groups.

What greater proof of hatred is needed?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Kobojunkie: 1:17am On Sep 16, 2009
Beaf:

^The big difference is that, in Nigeria it is 100% black dropping bombs on 100% black. To do the job effectively, without fail; they ship in goons from other ethnic groups.

What greater proof of hatred is needed?

I don't think skin color changes hate. Hate is hate, whether it be from white to black or black to black. One cannot make a sweeping statement such as the one you made simply because a minority continue to bully others from other groups, and allow themselves ruled by their own hate, which is probably from deeper issues which they refuse to deal with. We have people of different ethnicities living side by side in harmony in so many states around that country. I have friends and family from different ethnicity and I can bet you that at least 50% of Nigerians would tell you the same.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 2:21am On Sep 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I don't think skin color changes hate. Hate is hate, whether it be from white to black or black to black. One cannot make a sweeping statement such as the one you made simply because a minority continue to bully others from other groups, and allow themselves ruled by their own hate, which is probably from deeper issues which they refuse to deal with. We have people of different ethnicities living side by side in harmony in so many states around that country. I have friends and family from different ethnicity and I can bet you that at least 50% of Nigerians would tell you the same.

No. The Nigerian reality is that an alarming proportion of the population finds it almost routine to bomb each other or embark on wholesale slaughter with whatever weapons come to hand. The few that are living side by side will not bring back the dead or save those who are next to die come the next ethnic, religious or resource clash.
A contract for our collective existence needs to be set out or we abandon the Nigerian project. Doing nothing costs lives. I am interested in what alternative you have; I'm talking about practical solutions that will resolve the current ethnic / religous malaise.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Arnold1(m): 2:25am On Sep 16, 2009
Most Nigerians without a doubt, are loyal to their ethnic group (or atleast more than 1) than
the country. I estimate about 70% of folks over 25 belong in this category.

Some ethnic groups have been favored in the scheme of things in Nigeria compared to others
and it has brought about rivalry and bitterness among many ethnic groups.

Sad but true.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 6:03am On Sep 16, 2009
Beaf:

No. The Nigerian reality is that an alarming proportion of the population finds it almost routine to bomb each other or embark on wholesale slaughter with whatever weapons come to hand. The few that are living side by side will not bring back the dead or save those who are next to die come the next ethnic, religious or resource clash.
A contract for our collective existence needs to be set out or we abandon the Nigerian project. Doing nothing costs lives.

Do you think folks like Kobojunkie are interested in that truth? They are the confusionists; those who believe that if you tell a lie long enough, it becomes true.

I am interested in what alternative you have; I'm talking about practical solutions that will resolve the current ethnic / religous malaise.

Kobo and crew have NONE! In fact I dare him to put forward his own solution, other than his usual "ALL NIGERIANS ARE EQUALLY GUILTY". They would even blame rape victims!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by spoOne: 7:26am On Sep 16, 2009
How come some of these Igbo guys on this thread are so disrespectful to women - I am so shocked. It is so far from the way I was brought up - we were always told to either walk away when confronted by a lady, or just be quiet. This guys just go back and fort with these ladies non-stop. I can't help but think these are the future/present women beaters.

Totally amazed! angry
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 9:59pm On Sep 16, 2009
It is quite clear that ethnicity comes first for most people. For far too long ethnicity has been a tool for hatred and destruction. Our political elite have used ethnicity to manipulate the masses, hence there is no concrete development in any zone.

The challenge for us now is how to turn this current situation to our advantage. As things currently stand, lack of ethnic equality means we lack the cohesion to live together without suspicion. Let us try something different.

How do we begin to trust one another?

Answer: Let's talk. Let's have this Sovereign National Conference.

If people say the current arrangement isn't working, it doesn't always mean they want to breakaway. It means they want something better.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by MrCrackles(m): 10:00pm On Sep 16, 2009
Topic
I am loyal to none. . . . cool
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by zmurda(m): 12:00am On Sep 17, 2009
udezue:

Sjeezy, your mama insults are juvenile and old school. Come harder or fall back coz it didnt work. grin

dude, u are so very weak. you must be on permanent viagra to get a hard on
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by udezue(m): 12:06am On Sep 17, 2009
Z-muda LOL,
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by dnex(m): 12:53am On Sep 17, 2009
I don't owe any loyalty to my ethnicity. I'm just intrigued by the rich history and culture. My loyalty is first to Africa then Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (25) (Reply)

James Ibori Dancing At His Thanksgiving Service (Video) / N2bn Pension Fraud: How Minister Begged EFCC Operative To Spare Maina / Abiola: President Buhari Apologizes To Nigerians Over June 12, 1993 Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.