Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,393 members, 7,950,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 12:50 AM

Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? - Politics (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? (20818 Views)

Poll: Nigeria or your Ethnicity?

Nigeria: 52% (20 votes)
Ethnicity: 47% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Emma Anyanwu Disowns His Son, Charles, Loyal To Amaechi / Wike Sacks Board Of Directors Loyal To Amaechi / Photos: Thugs Loyal To PDP Allegedly Attack APC Chieftain In Gombe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by THEAMAKA(f): 9:08am On Sep 22, 2009
sjeezy, man what a hypocrite!!
man go suck a dik.

i punch like a man, and i wish i could punch you straight up, right now.
man your shit is wack!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 9:20am On Sep 22, 2009
Bleep are you talkin about

you dont see any bashing
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nigerd(m): 9:25am On Sep 22, 2009
udezue:

Niger is an ND impersonator. I'm sure he is Hausa-Fulani, Northerner even Yoruba but he can prove me wrong when he spits his native language.
Lets see him prove his ethnicity.

Niger,
Declare who u are now and speak your native tongue.

you want to know,

i will tell una say i be real guy from the soil, wait i will give you my poems for my lovely ND
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nigerd(m): 9:34am On Sep 22, 2009
NIGER-DELTA
Niger delta
The land flowing with milk and honey
You are blessed with arable land and animals
The land blessed with natural resources
Your upland good for farming and lowland houses the fishes and crabs
You are a land blessed with virtues and values

But your milk has been drained and your honey diluted
Your land dredged and your animals killed by oil spills
What suppose to be a thing of joy now turned to be pain.
Your virtues and values now seen as a sacrilege

Niger delta
You are a land blessed with talents and hope
A blessed land with strong men and women
A land of beauty
The pacesetter
The big beating heart of the entity called Nigeria

But your talents has been sent to their early grave
And your hope dashed
Your men of great talents and stuffs who want to maintain and preserves your values were killed
Your Daughters forced to be bread-winners
And your Sons forced to take up arms and ammunition
Your beauty changed by gas flaring
You are made the second fiddle
And made the useless part of the body called Nigeria

Niger delta
Go out there to take your rightful place, because you are destined to be great. Great Niger delta

by: Pete Omojaifoh . O.
May 2007
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nigerd(m): 9:35am On Sep 22, 2009
u will still c more
no worry i go give una bomb now
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nigerd(m): 9:36am On Sep 22, 2009
TEN YEARS OF DEMONSTRATION OF CRAZE
On the 29th of May, Nigeria marked 10 years of transition to civil rule, within these period of 10 years there has been display of straight or what I will say insanity by the power brokers.

Nigerians has witnessed the barbaric style of leadership by those politicians that come into power in the bid to enrich themselves, living behind the promise they made in the days of campaign.

The pains and venom drove through my bone marrow as an unemployed graduate each time I see politicians, I mean people that got the grace to put things right after decades of backward movement initiated by the military. But all they do is flexing of powers and strength rather than flexing of developments. Within these 10 years of political insanity in Nigeria, these are some invents that proved and confirmed the eccentric nature of our democracy.

The coming of Obasanjo looks like a light at the end of a tunnel, but did not take time to know that it was just the same old game plan. He came with some developmental master plan and a map of navigation which was greatly accepted by all and sundry, not knowing that they were the same political gimmick to drive away our mind from his original intents.

What do we have to celebrate for, is it the celebrated Oputal panel that could not achieve the said aims and objectives rather it was used to open up old wounds and celebrate Babangida super, mega and unlimited power, the two watch dogs (EFCC or ICPC) that were mainly used to oppress oppositions, and used to fight those that were not subjective to General Obasanjos opinions and plans, the several killings of individual, which Chief Bola Ige Fell victim of or ethnic cleansing in the Niger delta, I mean the Odi village barbaric killing by the so-called men that are meant to protect the people now turned to be their killer, and the killing of the Tiv people during the clash of the Jukun and Tiv people in Zakibiam in the year 2001, all these attacks were all in the bid to inflicts injuries on the opposition.

These absolute flexing of strength paved way to continues suffering the masses receives from the people they voted for. The electoral system is well designed in such a way that with or without our vote, they get an easy ride to the top. Elections in Nigeria is generally characterises by violence and most time don’t reflects the views and conscience of the populace, the unpopular candidate will now have his/her way. A popular joke goes does “there was this discussion with an American, a Chinese and a Nigeria, the Chinese man in show his country rule of law said If there is an election in China you get the result the second day, the American burst in to laughter and affirm the fact that if election takes place in the US you have the result before the close of the day but the Nigeria man shout them down and said in Nigeria you get the result of the election before the actual voting“. The 2007 election tribunal nullification of some result is a manifest of the style of selection I will say we do in Nigeria. The rescheduled election in ten local governments in Ekiti state greatly open up can of worm in our electoral system. While countries like Ghana and South African held violence and malpractices free election, what a shame.

Our Education system is nothing to write home about, I remember when I was in the secondary school our English master was a Ghanaian, can you imagine a foreigner not an English man but a co west African coming down to Nigeria to take up teaching responsibilities what a shame. Education in Nigeria is not giving its own due when it comes to funding, and the little money injected are used by political faithful. Why because their children are schooling abroad and those within the coast of Nigeria are in the private institutions. So the state of our education is not their headache.

We now generate a lot of applicants; a lot of countries showcase their talents, while we try to number the millions among us that are jobless. I went for an aptitude test not too long ago, I almost bust into tears, because of the numbers of the applicant, that took my mind to different vices and troubles caused by youth of this generation, a lot took up arms and ammunitions to make ends meets, as am writing this article, I form part of those that prefer to continue in the search and apply for ones that will not attracts a lot of applicants and try to avoid the ones that will need a letter from a big politicians from the ruling party. Even jobs in the Military and Paramilitary are given to children of the privilege. What is our joy if for ten years we could not bring back the lost glory.

The Basic needs of the masses could not be meet up to 5%, which is most disgraceful to us as a nation, and at the end we are clamouring for a permanent sit in the United Nation, a nation that could not feed herself nor protect the interest of her citizenry is now seeking for a responsibility to overseas her continental region. What a shame. Our Power system had a been in a rotating situation, its just a pipeline used by our politicians to pipe away tax payer's money, I don’t want to dwell on these because it’s another big issue on it’s own, which manifested through the arrest of some house members.

Food and security is another thing we are short of. The recent invasion of the creeks by hungry zombie, killing the old, young women and helpless children. Let me just keep mum, because if I should make a statement, it will look as if am against a certain section of the nation. Truly it was a ploy to cleanse the Niger delta region so as to have full access to the oil. But only the creator has power to cleanse not man.
An extract from Baba Fela’s Music “Demo crazy Crazy demo, Demonstration of craze, crazy demonstration, if e no be craze, why for Africa” it’s truly an eccentric display of talents, which the National Assembly was the major visual screen of the shame.

My fellow Nigerians what do we have to show for the ten years of civil rule? What do have on our score card? What do we have to boast of? Where are the manifests of good governance? What do we have to show for ten years? Has Nigerian felt the real dividends of democracy? Why the celebration? Is it not another means for siphoning the nation? Please if you’ve not been to Lagos state, go there and see they are really enjoying democracy.

We are at the back seat amidst committee of nations, TEN YEARS OF WASTE, let’s sit back and make the right decision. When next you want to vote, vote the true democrats.

Ojangbe Peter Omojaifoh
Taiwo Road Ilorin
omojaifoh@yahoo.com

this one na for tribune news paper
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nigerd(m): 9:39am On Sep 22, 2009
this one na old skool
UNITE SOUTH-SOUTH:

I  Peter Omojaifoh .O. is using this medium to keenly, pleads to my brothers and sisters in the Niger-Delta ( South-South geo-political zone)

My their brothers and sisters in South-South:

Unite for the sake of you being minor (minority)

Unite for the sake of your cultural heritage

Unite for the sake of your location (riverine)

Unite for the sake of those who lost their lives through oil field and military invasion

Unite for the sake of those who lost their lives in the pursuit of controlling this God given resources (oil)

Unite to brake the jinx of those who thought that, coming together, oneness and the unionism of the south-south Geo-political zone will never come through

Lets come together to actualize the call of controlling our God given resources Either from oil producing communities or not: Unite!

LONG LIVE SOUTH-SOUTH LONG LIVE NIGER-DELTA LONG LIVE NIGERIA
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nigerd(m): 9:41am On Sep 22, 2009
pls biafran Army wetin una wan talk again

Long live South South, long live Niger-Delta, long live MEND
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by udezue(m): 10:05am On Sep 22, 2009
lol I said speak ur native tongue. ND no be ethnic group. grin
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nigerd(m): 10:41am On Sep 22, 2009
bietebe keme ama miengha

fẹ ganriin famuye
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2009
In Nigeria, if a parent is not interested in the ethnicity of his daughters spouse-to-be, what else is he checkin'?
A responsible father won't want his daughter to go to a land where she fights all her life to survive with her kids. The worst part is the juju fights in Yorubaland. Polygamy based juju fights are deadly! I wouldn't let my own go through that! Azi gba kwa!

. . .and it doesn't happen in Igbo land?

@Udezue
I pray your daughters bring back Yoruba men to marry, let's see if you would refer to them as whores or desperate. angry angry

@platinumnk
Let that ideology of tainting remain in your local government area in your village, it should not cross the borders. You guys should even marry yourselves. tongue What sort of meeting is that? In this 21st century? angry
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Eziachi: 2:35pm On Sep 22, 2009
Allta:

I used to have this believe that Naija will not break into 3 abi 6 deni in my lifetime. So, my allegiance to Naija and not my Ethnicity. I can die for being a Nigerian, make that death go really hammer before him go take me go on Ethnic grounds.

And a big luck to you in your quest to die for Nigeria because you really going to need it before you change your mind midway into your Naija dieing quest.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Eziachi: 2:40pm On Sep 22, 2009
Niger_d:

NIGER-DELTA
Niger delta
The land flowing with milk and honey
You are blessed with arable land and animals
The land blessed with natural resources
Your upland good for farming and lowland houses the fishes and crabs
You are a land blessed with virtues and values

But your milk has been drained and your honey diluted
Your land dredged and your animals killed by oil spills
What suppose to be a thing of joy now turned to be pain.
Your virtues and values now seen as a sacrilege

Niger delta
You are a land blessed with talents and hope
A blessed land with strong men and women
A land of beauty
The pacesetter
The big beating heart of the entity called Nigeria

But your talents has been sent to their early grave
And your hope dashed
Your men of great talents and stuffs who want to maintain and preserves your values were killed
Your Daughters forced to be bread-winners
And your Sons forced to take up arms and ammunition
Your beauty changed by gas flaring
You are made the second fiddle
And made the useless part of the body called Nigeria

Niger delta
Go out there to take your rightful place, because you are destined to be great. Great Niger delta 

by: Pete Omojaifoh . O.
May 2007

Not like that my son, where had you been all this while to be writing a rubbish poem like that about Niger Delta?
Start again and this time write:
Niger Delta, the land flowing and covered in crude oil sleet, where all living thing had disappeared as a result except for kidnappers and oil bunkerers and one of their governors recently showing off his crib on CNN.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by citizenY(m): 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2009
@EZIACHI
Please do not mention Bayelsa . They will soo ask you whether na ya money. Remember Alams?

MEND dey share money now and their elders have been sharing since. Na now the youths wake up see say all those
elders na vulture.

Devote your time to this post, they will soon derail this thread
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by platinumnk(f): 2:56pm On Sep 22, 2009
What is tainted?
If I'm mistaken, then I'll apologize when you make yourself understandable.

FYI: Having loyalty for one's etnicity over one's country does not count one as tribalist. However, describing the mixture of two ethnicity "tainted" is a characteristic of a tribalist.

Well I apologize if it came out wrong, but it is the very words they used. My elders and other older igbomen complain about the loss of our language, our culture, and traditons by mixing with other cultures.

When a woman marries, she becomes one with the man and the mans family.
So if an igbo woman marries a person outside, its an addition to the mans tribe not the igbo.
This is what they complain about.
Personally I love our tradtions and customs and our language, just like other tribes love theirs.
How would u feel if u felt your culture was being washed away?
Someone said earlier that igbo origins can be traced back to slave days in the Americas but how much can be traced? What pertentage? like .005% percent.
Why do we even have culture, languages, traditions? who is there to pass it on?

If no one cares about it then we should all speak english and drop different our ways.

But I care

@stillwater- When u marry , whoever it might be, you will have to accept their customs and traditons (if it is outside your own)
You children will too.
If thats cool with you, then great.
tongue
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 4:02pm On Sep 22, 2009
platinumnk:

Well I apologize if it came out wrong, but it is the very words they used. My elders and other older igbomen complain about the loss of our language, our culture, and traditons by mixing with other cultures.

When a woman marries, she becomes one with the man and the mans family.
So if an igbo woman marries a person outside, its an addition to the mans tribe not the igbo.
Personally I love our tradtions and customs and our language, just like other tribes love theirs.
Someone said earlier that igbo origins can be traced back to slave days in the Americas but how much can be traced? What pertentage? like .005% percent.

If no one cares about it then we should all speak english and drop different our ways.

But I care

@stillwater- When u marry , whoever it might be, you will have to accept their customs and traditons (if it is outside your own)
You children will too.
tongue

Thank you, ezigbo nwa! I am really proud of you. Having not grown up in Nigeria but can still articulate and internalize these things proves to me that you have great parents who understand these things too. Not all parents do, hence my posts here. Those who have ear let them hear!
Just make sure you lead some of your Igbo peers to this site cos they need to understand their parent's home country more. Thanks!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Edoji: 5:08pm On Sep 22, 2009
"In Nigeria Hausa Fulani thugs have used military weapons to compel the rest of the people to accept their thuggish ruling and in the meantime cart the wealth of the country to their part of the country. Therefore each African ethnic group having total control over its natural resources while its citizens and corporations pay taxes to maintain the central governments".

A quote from This brilliant article -

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1686:-when-sovereignty-is-used-to-justify-stealing-the-case-of-ijawland-&catid=25:politics&Itemid=37
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 22, 2009
platinumnk:

Well I apologize if it came out wrong, but it is the very words they used. My elders and other older igbomen complain about the loss of our language, our culture, and traditons by mixing with other cultures. When a woman marries, she becomes one with the man and the mans family.

But I care

You children will too.
tongue

This depends more on the parents not marriage. It is the responsibilty of the parents to inculcate their cultural beliefs on the child. (Notwithstanding a child has a right to choose whether he wants to be associated with such when he's grown without the whole Igbo clan crucifying him). tongue Failure to bring up a child according to tradition is not as a result of marrying outside but parents nonchalance at educating their children. The reason why I say this is because you see Igbo parents who speak the language but their kids can't. Is this as a result of marrying outside? Heck no!!!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by mystikal(m): 5:27pm On Sep 22, 2009
sometimes, the so called major ethnic groups (hausa, Igbo, Yoruba) are so busy selfishly fighting themselves to even notice minor groups like mine. Whatever. . . .

All the same, I can;t imagine a Nigeria without all these tribes, I have friendships and alliances spanning the whole length of the country.

I am a proud South south man, but I love Nigeria and she comes first.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 5:28pm On Sep 22, 2009
@niger_d

You are very confused. You better realign your mind.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2009
citizenY:

@EZIACHI
Please do not mention Bayelsa . They will soo ask you whether na ya money. Remember Alams?

MEND dey share money now and their elders have been sharing since. Na now the youths wake up see say all those
elders na vulture.

Devote your time to this post, they will soon derail this thread

Fool.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2009
udezue:

Yoruba girls love Igbo men. LOL

Onlytruth:

It's more like Yoruba girls love Igbo boys.

The use of "some" would be appropriate here wink Some Yoruba women love Igbo boys, same way they'd love Calabar, Hausa or Gwari boys should they be so inclined.

However, the vast majority of Yoruba girls cant see themselves marrying anyone outside their tribe. Some cant even marry outside their village or state.

Onlytruth:

Though Igbo boys no de marry dem!

um, are you sure the Yoruba women you see dating Igbo boys are in it for marriage? Of course a few are- maybe 0.02%, but I'd say the vast majority are simply doing it for financial or other reasons. Some women like to "experiment" so to speak but would balk at anything more.

Most Yoruba girls would have a hard time adapting to Igbo culture in particular, since its rather radically different from what they'd be used to. Besides, the family reaction to a Yoruba girl bringing home an Igbo fiance would be pretty much the same as an Igbo boy introducing his Yoruba fiancee. Some few families wouldnt mind, but many more would.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 6:22pm On Sep 22, 2009
tpia.:

However, the vast majority of Yoruba girls cant see themselves marrying anyone outside their tribe. Some cant even marry outside their village or state.

I thought a village was a great extended family, can Yoruba people marry from their villages of origin?

tpia.:

Besides, the family reaction to a Yoruba girl bringing home an Igbo fiance would be pretty much the same as an Igbo boy introducing his Yoruba fiancee. Some few families wouldnt mind, but many more would.

Most Igbo families don't care about the ethnicity of the girl their sons bring home.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 22, 2009
Loyal as in? smiley
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by platinumnk(f): 6:39pm On Sep 22, 2009
stillwater:

This depends more on the parents not marriage. It is the responsibilty of the parents to inculcate their cultural beliefs on the child. (Notwithstanding a child has a right to choose whether he wants to be associated with such when he's grown without the whole Igbo clan crucifying him). tongue Failure to bring up a child according to tradition is not as a result of marrying outside but parents nonchalance at educating their children. The reason why I say this is because you see Igbo parents who speak the language but their kids can't. Is this as a result of marrying outside? Heck no!!!

Nice points however the language thing isnt always true.
When I was a child I went mute for about a year. When taken to pschologists, they said the reason why I didnt speak was because I was hearing igbo and english and it was confusing. My mom told my i spoke igbo when until i went mute because igbo was the only language I was hearing until I went to school . The doctors told my parents to speak only English to me.
Then I began speaking.
I know a number of people who like me went through the same thing. But language is one aspect of culture but not all.
Even though I was brought up here, I was raised in our traditions since I was a child. U can bring up a child in your culture but it when you marry outside that you can lose it.
Say you marry a yoruba man, your kids are now yoruba. They will probaly know the yoruba lang, culture and tradtions as dictated by their father.
What then happens to where you come from?
Its gone.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 6:40pm On Sep 22, 2009
ibkaye:

Loyal as in? smiley

Would you rather give freely to your ethnic group or to the whole of 9ja?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Sep 22, 2009
Beaf:

Whole of 9ja, why the dividing.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 22, 2009
ezeagu:

I thought a village was a great extended family, can Yoruba people marry from their villages of origin?

Some do. Others marry from the villages around them. Key word here is some. Not everyone in the village is related though many are. Besides, most villages have had immigrants from outside at one time or another.

ezeagu:

Most Igbo families don't care about the ethnicity of the girl their sons bring home.

Not true, especially when it comes to certain tribes they'd rather their sons didnt marry.

Most foreigners are allowed though.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 22, 2009
When I was a child I went mute for about a year. When taken to pschologists, they said the reason why I didnt speak was because I was hearing igbo and english and it was confusing. My mom told my i spoke igbo when until i went mute because igbo was the only language I was hearing until I went to school . The doctors told my parents to speak only English to me.
Then I began speaking.

when I begin speaking on the language issue now I get jumped by zealots.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 6:54pm On Sep 22, 2009
Beaf:

Thats not the question, its more like would you stay on Nigeria's side if your ethnic group went to war.  wink

tpia.:

Not true, especially when it comes to certain tribes they'd rather their sons didnt marry.

Most foreigners are allowed though.

I have lived in an Igbo village and the amount of Efik, Ibibio, African Americans, Edo, Jamaicans! that are in these remote places shows that what you wrote is not true. There would also be Fulani, Hausa and Yoruba women in our communities if you guys married more outside your ethnicities. That is why the Igbo are the least homogenous nation in Nigeria, because we allow anybody into our communities.  grin And when they come to the east they never want to leave! Maybe royal families and such would discriminate, but I haven't heard of it among common folk ever. Its only out of the will of individual community members that decides marriage, and of course the woman's character and parents approval.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 22, 2009
ezeagu:

Thats not the question, its more like would you stay on Nigeria's side if your ethnic group went to war.  wink
Oh, well If that's the case I don't know, neither would I probably particularly care, fight over what exactly for goodness sake? cheesy
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 6:58pm On Sep 22, 2009
ibkaye:

fight over what exactly for goodness sake? cheesy

Do you know our history? Do you read current events happening in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (25) (Reply)

Buhari, Osinbajo Preside Over Emblem Appeal Launch For 2016 Armed Forces (Photos / Abdulkadir Mohammed: We Accept PDP's Defeat With Dignity, Sportsmanship / Imoke To PDP Members: Ben Ayade Was A Mistake, Please Forgive Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.