Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,357 members, 7,888,133 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:09 PM

FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium (21699 Views)

Rutile, Galena, Uranium Discovered In Cross River State By Chinese Men (Photos) / See What Happened When NEPA Wanted To Disconnect Electricity From A House. Video / Man Installs Windmill To Generate Electricity, Tired Of Nigeria's Erratic Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Pangea: 9:14am On Jul 20, 2016
Just kuku kill us!

2 Likes

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by chidiandre(m): 9:15am On Jul 20, 2016
I am not saying its a bad idea...its actually a great idea... but Nigeria is not ready to go nuclear... we have security issues ...cos once some idiot decides to blow it up without checking the consequences we are all screwed

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Suntzung: 9:19am On Jul 20, 2016
Thats Great 4 Us To Develop Our Own Fuel Cycle 4 The Incoming 3 Nos Nuclear Reactors.
Great Nigeria Sai Baba
God Bless Nigeria
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 20, 2016
boostdom:
Uranium, used as nuclear fuel in a nuclear reactor, is a very complex radioactive element and is very difficult to produce and refine. A week training for nuclear practitioners and security officers in the country on the extraction, exploitation and utilisation of the substance is laughable and grossly inadequate. The right term is "sensitization". The simplest nuclear reactor design available now takes nothing less than 3years to build and the technology is high intellectual property.

Uranium is very unstable to one radius and you need not just the physics knowledge and the mechanical skills but high precision control labs.

We should be looking at renewable energy not radioactive fission. Nuclear reactor engagement is not a one week Management retreat.

It calls for concern.

We do not even have the discipline for a proper nuclear safety engineering and management. Issues pertaining to siting, plant maintenance , ageing, enough knowledge and data for external hazards like Aircraft Impact, missile attacks,flooding, earthquakes,boko haram etc. I recall when we went to Golfech in France as part of our field work on Nuclear Safety aspect of the Nuclear Chemistry/Science Module. It made me realise our safety culture in Nigeria is terrible and backward where processes can be bypassed and procedures flaunted based on many sentiments. Even the recuitment of staff and professionals for the nuclear plant in Nigeria might be based on "man-know-man".

Getting into the Golfech facility was tougher than getting into the White House or Aso Rock. Background checks had to be done. House keeping is spotless. I mean, not a pin! Not a blade of Grass was out of place. PPE use was with strong discipline. You dare not flaunt a rule. I repeat, you dare not. You will be thrown out even if your father is Barack Obama or Bill Gates. International passports had to be submitted weeks prior to our visit and stay, for background checks. Multiple layers of protection on every aspect. We do not have the discipline. At least not yet.

And I have not even delved into the power generation process itself and the sensitivity of the process and equipment. With our current rate of development and attitude, we wil need about 50 years to get ourselves ready.

We have not been able to fully/optimally maintain, upgrade and fix the Hydro and Gas system we operate.

Their one week course cannot even be taken as an appreciation course. Your name for it is perfect. Sensitization at best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by hatchy(f): 9:21am On Jul 20, 2016
This is just a talk shop nothing meaningful will come out of it.
We have not been able to maintain ordinary refinery,how much more a nuclear plant. The reason why the petrochemical plant,Fertilizer, Nlng plants are working is because it is wholly owned by foreign investstors and partly owned by government in the case of Nlng.

Nepotism, favoritism,corruption will destroy that kind of plant if it finally comes to reality.

We should just forget about such issues and focus on other energy sources like solar,hydro and wind which is in abundance.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by OlafenwaMoses(m): 9:23am On Jul 20, 2016
National SUICIDE!!!
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by PrinceEvolution(m): 9:23am On Jul 20, 2016
we have to investigate the pedigree of all cabinet members of this man oooo something tells me they were all former players of DUNDEE UNITED...foolish stupendous fellows...i dont even know what to say...uraniumis just like giving a 4yr old a plane filled with 365 passengers to fly...somebody shud ask this mofos to go for mental evaluation b4 they completely nose dive dis con3.
sarrki:

Bahd Guy!!!!!
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by hedocharles(m): 9:23am On Jul 20, 2016
Uranium, I jst hope der wud situate dat plant in their homes alone. #MAD #PEOPLE #EVERYWHERE
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by maggdon(m): 9:24am On Jul 20, 2016
if u ask me, i wud say dis govt is nt confused.. they are taking d ryt steps in d ryt direction in dia dreams, by the time dey wk up half of naija go don enta nightmare. bunch of dreamers. uranium ko vanadium ni.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by MoneyGreen(m): 9:25am On Jul 20, 2016
taylor88:
joke of d year

uranium ni iranu ko

confused government governed by a dementia inflicted walking corpse
A very pained wailer spotted
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by erico2k2(m): 9:30am On Jul 20, 2016
Just when you thought you, ve heard it all
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by mickeyenglish(m): 9:31am On Jul 20, 2016
Fools rush into where Angels fear to thread...
I wonder how the "ogas at the top" governmental position think and reason at times. It still baffles me and traps me in a semantic space. There's no antedote to some mental issues. Nigeria that can't even produce pencils and eraser want to go Nuclear??. Must u always destroy lives and properties?? When operating a Nuclear reactor, it should be done by very powerful and qualified scientists majorly from the field of Physics. There should be no form of excuse, no mistakes, no human error or whatsoever when running very unstable particles such as uranium, or else we r looking at a very large Nuclear holocaust here in Nigeria with a very large population. When it eventually happens, they ld start their normal blame game.
I just hope our leaders evolve mentally.
When last was any IQ test carried out in Nigeria?? sad
We really need to start evaluating the intelligience level of the earthlings we choose as leaders.
BTW, all future Nuclear plants should be situated in the North since they so much love to be in absolute control of absolute power..abeg make ona No reach or carry am come the south-western part of the country. Nobody here wants to start giving birth to superman, flash, wolverine, cyclops, jean grey, proffesor Xavier, Magnito, Joggernaut, and the rest of the mutation attributes grin grin
Too much cartoon No good ooh tongue

Post No Bill...

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Alabitrends01: 9:31am On Jul 20, 2016
frankmoney:
U guys should just shut up .... The nuclear reactor won't be weapons grade , and you guys av obviously seen hydro and thermal cannot produce enough electricity due to attacks on pipelines , the major way to generate the electricity has to be through nuclear

bros ,, anything Uranus still remain uranium,,,, either small or big... its dangerous and difficult to maintain.... Nigeria is at premature level, don't think we can handle this.....
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by askakim(m): 9:32am On Jul 20, 2016
Uranium is a very radioactive element, we havent gotten to that level of using it. Let still stick with d hydro n thermal we use
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by AK481(m): 9:33am On Jul 20, 2016
shamecurls:
Good one!

Should be situated in a peaceful Western state like the Outskirt of Lagos, Ekiti, Osun or Ondo. Cos it will be blown-off if Situated in other regions.

The West is the best environment for investment in Nigeria and investors need to tap into that advantage to secure there investment.

One cant imagine the enormous opportunity and employment this will bring to the Host state
so it can kill us one day doing fukashima things....and u say u like us.kwantinu
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Kenmoris22: 9:35am On Jul 20, 2016
govt that talks more and do less
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by shamecurls(m): 9:37am On Jul 20, 2016
AK481:

so it can kill us one day doing fukashima things....and u say u like us.kwantinu

Why make reference to Fukushima without also mentioning other plants that have been safe for over a decade?

Fukushima leak was as a result of Natural disaster which was beyond human control. Everything has got its pros and cons but you definitely will agree with me that the pros of Nuclear Technology outweighs the cons.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by 9japride(m): 9:40am On Jul 20, 2016
shamecurls:
Good one!

Should be situated in a peaceful Western state like the Outskirt of Lagos, Ekiti, Osun or Ondo. Cos it will be blown-off if Situated in other regions.

The West is the best environment for investment in Nigeria and investors need to tap into that advantage to secure there investment.

One cant imagine the enormous opportunity and employment this will bring to the Host state
[color=#006600][/color]

Wicked! I support ur idea
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Suntzung: 9:48am On Jul 20, 2016
@anakinskywalker:
See wahala and inferiority complex, North Korea, Iran, india, pakistan and Japan are all developing countries as Nigeria And already have an indigenous fuel cycles, then why not NIGERIA
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by charleslifted(m): 9:50am On Jul 20, 2016
In a country like Nigeria wr poor management is the order of d day, I'll say exploitation of nuclear material for energy generation is not a welcom idea. D impact of crude oil spillage in Nigeria haven't been tackled yet, wr many citizens in such exposed area have suffered rigorous effect of contamination from oil pollution. The major problem associated with nuclear energy activity is the storage of radioactive waste substance. This has been a question for debate in developed country like US because of the adverse effects of pollution by radioactive waste substances arising from its storage and monitoring.. I advocate that nuclear energy generation is not the best way to go in Nigeria.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by tinktanker: 9:53am On Jul 20, 2016
sarrki:

Bahd Guy!!!!!
planning to develop weapon of mass destruction
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by kingdenny(m): 9:54am On Jul 20, 2016
Relax my fellow Nigerians, this was suppose to be in joke section angry
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by makdcash(m): 9:57am On Jul 20, 2016
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin cool

kings09:
9ja always puttin d cart before the horse. The resources we have on ground have not be efficiently utilized na nuclear una wan do. Pls site the plant in d north. Infact fill it up wit northerners, we won't protest dis 1. Buhari sef grin grin
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by shumuel(m): 10:04am On Jul 20, 2016
sarrki:

http://punchng.com/fg-moves-generate-electricity-uranium/

We already know the Power sector is Finished Completely, and now they want to Completely Finish Nigeria as well, is it these people that can't handle the Hydro-power that want to go near Uranium, make them no try am o, or else them go just bomb Nigeria out of the Map.

My two Chemistry grin
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by bigiyaro(m): 10:07am On Jul 20, 2016
Hehehehehe, clueless bubu n his bunch of old clowns. Nuclear ko noclear ni.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by kenchizzy(m): 10:16am On Jul 20, 2016
Keep on the promise sadnow na set to abi? Very soon e go be 'fG reach talk to finalize power.well na GVT OF promise award we dey,hmmm no forward backward ever #zombiessaibuhari2019#
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by tempest01(m): 10:26am On Jul 20, 2016
Alwa Ibom state was chosen for this reckless venture by a country with no track record of maintenance culture, and corruption personified quota system of operation.

There is a need to oppose the implementation of this project in the state so that one malo guy no go press destroy button.

They should cite it in the 97% states.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Yosiwealth(m): 10:31am On Jul 20, 2016
You people watch too much American movies, haha.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Kobicove(m): 10:39am On Jul 20, 2016
Economically speaking it is better for Nigeria to concentrate on thermal power generation through modular plants in combined cycle configuration...moreover we have abundant supply of natural gas

Do these guys even know the cost implication of going nuclear?

The cheapest nuclear power plant will cost nothing less than 2 billion dollars to construct

Our policy makers need to stop fooling themselves... angry
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by lomprico(m): 10:44am On Jul 20, 2016
Why was this post hidden? What was wrong with it?

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by pepigeorge(m): 10:45am On Jul 20, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked

This APC politicians funny pass basket mouth and I go die......
u never fit build or maintain epic hydro power technology. .....

Abeg nor mk me laf..... it's like 6month pickin dey crawl towards live transformer
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 20, 2016
no problem, so far they do it in the north or peaceful west and supply electricity to the rest of the country, they can't even maintain hydro plant, not to talk of and element as delicate as uranium

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Requests $300 Million To Buy A Submarine. / Barr. Stephanie At Commonwealth Forum With Buhari, Barrow, Aisha / Petroleum: Aradel Holdings Modular Refinery Ready For Operation Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.