Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,968 members, 7,873,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:08 AM

FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium (21673 Views)

Rutile, Galena, Uranium Discovered In Cross River State By Chinese Men (Photos) / See What Happened When NEPA Wanted To Disconnect Electricity From A House. Video / Man Installs Windmill To Generate Electricity, Tired Of Nigeria's Erratic Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by adionin(m): 11:02am On Jul 20, 2016
boostdom:
Uranium, used as nuclear fuel in a nuclear reactor, is a very complex radioactive element and is very difficult to produce and refine. A week training for nuclear practitioners and security officers in the country on the extraction, exploitation and utilisation of the substance is laughable and grossly inadequate. The right term is "sensitization". The simplest nuclear reactor design available now takes nothing less than 3years to build and the technology is high intellectual property.

Uranium is very unstable to one radius and you need not just the physics knowledge and the mechanical skills but high precision control labs.

We should be looking at renewable energy not radioactive fission. Nuclear reactor engagement is not a one week Management retreat.
[color=#770077][/color][b][/b]Well said.

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Rolings: 11:04am On Jul 20, 2016
ayusco85:
Very confused government without proper direction or blue print on how to solve the numerous problems of Nigeria.

Do they know the risk involved in what they propose to do? Whr is our minister of science and technology?

Nigeria can't contain a nuclear power plant disaster if it happens. Even Almighty Japan couldn't, talk more of Nigeria.

BTW, talk is cheap. APC just like talking for talking sake

Keep quiet there, no light you complain now government is exploring other means you are blabbing rubbish. Our energy needs is huge such that we need different source . Recently we heard of a solar power project in katsina ,the mambilla hydro and zungeru hydro projects were in the news and efforts by government to actualize them , with the madmen called NDA letting us know we can't rely on Gas shouldn't government explore other means. All of you shouting Nigeria can't maintain nuclear power plants do you even know how many nuclear power plants there are in the world providing electricity? The Chernobyl and fukushima nuclear disasters are not enough to dissuade us from using nuclear power.
Good moves by government
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by adionin(m): 11:11am On Jul 20, 2016
sarrki:

http://punchng.com/fg-moves-generate-electricity-uranium/
I think we should rather focus on other sources like hydro, gas and wind. For now, nuclear can be useful in agric, medicine and industry.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by lonelydora: 11:12am On Jul 20, 2016
How much is 3 bedroom flat in Ghana or Gabon?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 20, 2016
Suntzung:
@anakinskywalker:
See wahala and inferiority complex, North Korea, Iran, india, pakistan and Japan are all developing countries as Nigeria And already have an indigenous fuel cycles, then why not NIGERIA

Oh yes, I am inferior. Very inferior when it comes to people who react,label people, resort to name calling before thinking clearly. The first part of your post above clearly shows this. I am inferior and shall continue to be so. And may I never be superior if superiority will mean acting before I think.

Development is not just a single stage where the countries you mentioned are in the same equal states/conditions. Nigeria has not even started when you compare it with most of the countries you mentioned.

Nigeria can build a space rocket and go to the moon if they so desire, but they have to prep. themselves for this. The potential of any country is great if they work hard-this fact is inarguable.However, at our current stage, we are not ready and if we use our current methods, behaviors, idiosyncrasies and attitudes as yard sticks, my opinion is we are not ready.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Jasy(m): 11:26am On Jul 20, 2016
Story for the gods......Nor be only Uranium, make una even find Plutonium. APC and so much talk, elections should come already
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by prstge007: 11:39am On Jul 20, 2016
EMMYLBANKS:
What i don't understand also is it that FG also choose the way the citizens die because they havn't maintain hydro and thermal their going into uranium
never ending project...what about solar. hmmmm naija politician i hail
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Ameboperoo(m): 11:53am On Jul 20, 2016
boostdom:
Uranium, used as nuclear fuel in a nuclear reactor, is a very complex radioactive element and is very difficult to produce and refine. A week training for nuclear practitioners and security officers in the country on the extraction, exploitation and utilisation of the substance is laughable and grossly inadequate. The right term is "sensitization". The simplest nuclear reactor design available now takes nothing less than 3years to build and the technology is high intellectual property.

Uranium is very unstable to one radius and you need not just the physics knowledge and the mechanical skills but high precision control labs.

We should be looking at renewable energy not radioactive fission. Nuclear reactor engagement is not a one week Management retreat.
The aliens is warning humans that nuclear energy is not for them but we refuse to heed their warnings. Obama and the Russian knew about this but they are turning deaf ears. I just pray we don't get to experience another Hiroshima again
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Deenite(m): 12:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
Lemme rephrase this topic, Northerners to start learning how to make nuclear bomb.

They will soon polute our country.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by jpphilips(m): 12:15pm On Jul 20, 2016
boostdom:

fayemi is just keeping buhari's hopes alive, he has no clue what Radioactivity entails, thought he will mention the cost implication for a broke Govt.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by ooshinibos: 12:31pm On Jul 20, 2016
Nigeria is worse than I thought ..see the reason :
you have not managed to generate electricity from Hydro power , Oil ,gas and even solar energy that are freely and cheap to use ...now you want to try uranium ...you are a disgrace to Africa and the black race ..

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by globatop: 1:03pm On Jul 20, 2016
4000mw when S. Africa is celebrating 40,000mw
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by cjrane: 1:21pm On Jul 20, 2016
Why not generate from Plutonium? grin grin

A country rich in gas and coal will not use them for electricity because they are in the 5% region of the country. But will import uranium they can barely handle safely.... And of course look for a non-Fulani state to build it so that if it goes wrong, other people NOT Fulanis will suffer the consequence.

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Peaceworld(m): 1:28pm On Jul 20, 2016
This is a very funny article. We haven't fully exploited other forms of energy and we're talking of nuclear energy.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by ayusco85(m): 1:56pm On Jul 20, 2016
Rolings:

Keep quiet there, no light you complain now government is exploring other means you are blabbing rubbish. Our energy needs is huge such that we need different source . Recently we heard of a solar power project in katsina ,the mambilla hydro and zungeru hydro projects were in the news and efforts by government to actualize them , with the madmen called NDA letting us know we can't rely on Gas shouldn't government explore other means. All of you shouting Nigeria can't maintain nuclear power plants do you even know how many nuclear power plants there are in the world providing electricity? The Chernobyl and fukushima nuclear disasters are not enough to dissuade us from using nuclear power.
Good moves by government

So u actually believe this lying piece of shitt called APC?

Well I ve only one word for u

"Zombie "
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by tonquendo4u(m): 1:57pm On Jul 20, 2016
eleojo23:
So we are now going nuclear?
Issokay!

Let's pray that these terrorists roaming about will not lay their hands on the Uranium and try to use it to power a nuke (nuclear weapon)

That would be trouble for us 'cos the last time I checked, Jack Bauer was taken away by the Russians and only God knows if he is still alive...
Badt guy[/size][size=8pt]
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by femlake(m): 2:53pm On Jul 20, 2016
Lubbish!!! Always 'set to do this and that', but NEVA doing anything. sad sad sad sad sad lipsrsealed
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Igboic: 3:20pm On Jul 20, 2016
Good idea.
They should site it in Yoruba and Northern states. I estimate that two of such nuclear plants in SW, preferably Osun and Oyo, and three in the North, preferably Katsina,Sokoto and Jigawa, will generate enough electricity to power Nigeria for 24 hrs in the next 5 decades or more.

They can as well employ all the staff to work on the nuclear plants from SW and Northern states.

This is one good development. Kudos to Buhari.

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by mfm04622: 4:03pm On Jul 20, 2016
k2kay:
We cant maintain hydro and thermal and we want to go nuclear.....#deathwish

What makes you think nuclear plant is difficult to maintain?
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by edoziebobbyyahoocom(m): 4:23pm On Jul 20, 2016
I've been skimming through nairarand but on seeing this I had to say something.
Who ever came up with this idea is an enemy of the state, because I'm certain it will bring about the total annihilation of the entity Nigeria. #SayNoToUranium
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by oyestephen(m): 5:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
mickeyenglish:

Fools rush into where Angels fear to thread...
I wonder how the "ogas at the top" governmental position think and reason at times. It still baffles me and traps me in a semantic space. There's no antedote to some mental issues. Nigeria that can't even produce pencils and eraser want to go Nuclear? shocked shocked?. Must u always destroy lives and properties?? When operating a Nuclear reactor, it should be done by very powerful and qualified scientists majorly from the field of Physics. There should be no form of excuse, no mistakes, no human error or whatsoever when running very unstable particles such as uranium, or else we r looking at a very large Nuclear holocaust here in Nigeria with a very large population. When it eventually happens, they ld start their normal blame game.
I just hope our leaders evolve mentally.
When last was any IQ test carried out in Nigeria??
We really need to start evaluating the intelligience level of the earthlings we choose as leaders.
BTW, all future Nuclear plants should be situated in the North since they so much love to be in absolute control of absolute power. ; cheesy grin grin.abeg make ona No reach or carry am come the south-western part of the country. Nobody here wants to start giving birth to superman, flash, wolverine, cyclops, jean grey, proffesor Xavier, Magnito, Joggernaut, and the rest of the mutation attributes
Too much comic books cartoon No good ooh embarassed tongue wink

Post No Bill...

It's been long an made sense, and made me laugh... I will not be in support of nuclear energy as world power countries can't manage it, why do we think we can??
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by k2kay(m): 6:33pm On Jul 20, 2016
mfm04622:

What makes you think nuclear plant is difficult to maintain?
what makes you think Nigeria is ready and ripe for nuclear energy? When you cant maintain little things, how can you then maintain something bigger? Nuclear energy isn't child's play cos nuclear accidents and radioactive waste disposals are a major concern and in a country like Nigeria where nonchalance is the other of the day..i beg to differ unless u want it sited in your village grin
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by boss096(m): 6:39pm On Jul 20, 2016
juniour4u:
must u condemned everything the fg embark on. I am sorry for you
dude y did u quote me. cant u mind ur own biz. ur country cant maintain hydro and thermal and u want them to go nuclear. well its not ur fault i can see u are clearly not educated. nd dnt quote me again. piece of A$$
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Weblow: 10:22pm On Jul 20, 2016
east be ready cos development will soon come to ur area. ;Deast be ready cos development will soon come to ur area.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Suntzung: 12:00am On Jul 21, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:

Oh yes, I am inferior. Very inferior when it comes to people who react,label people, resort to name calling before thinking clearly. The first part of your post above clearly shows this. I am inferior and shall continue to be so. And may I never be superior if superiority will mean acting before I think.

Development is not just a single stage where the countries you mentioned are in the same equal states/conditions. Nigeria has not even started when you compare it with most of the countries you mentioned.

Nigeria can build a space rocket and go to the moon if they so desire, but they have to prep. themselves for this. The potential of any country is great if they work hard-this fact is inarguable.However, at our current stage, we are not ready and if we use our current methods, behaviors, idiosyncrasies and attitudes as yard sticks, my opinion is we are not ready.
Sory I mean infrty compless filling/effects not abusing u OK.
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Suntzung: 12:08am On Jul 21, 2016
Ur talking about ready! what ready, we are far behind and u are still taken us back, 4 more than 50 years several countries around the world are running nuclear reactors and u think we are not yet due becouse we have donkey brains or what?
Re: FG Set To Generate Electricity From Uranium by Suntzung: 12:10am On Jul 21, 2016
Igboic:
Good idea.
They should site it in Yoruba and Northern states. I estimate that two of such nuclear plants in SW, preferably Osun and Oyo, and three in the North, preferably Katsina,Sokoto and Jigawa, will generate enough electricity to power Nigeria for 24 hrs in the next 5 decades or more.

They can as well employ all the staff to work on the nuclear plants from SW and Northern states.

This is one good development. Kudos to Buhari.
U get it mehn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atiku: Why I Asked Bulkachuwa To Withdraw From Presidential Election Tribunal / North Alone Can Accommodate Ruga Settlements – Govt / Buhari Asks Senate To Confirm Lamido Yuguda As SEC DG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.