Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,925 members, 7,886,522 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 11:25 AM

Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? (5803 Views)

Poll: Is Another International Airport Really Necesarry?

Yes: 50% (50 votes)
No: 50% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

Amaechi Inspects Port-Harcourt International Airport - Photos / This Is Where Fayose Plans To Build Airport In Ekiti(photos) / See The Exact Crate Umaru Dikko Was Found In At Stansted Airport In 1984 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Theblessed(f): 1:37pm On Oct 12, 2009
OAM4J:

Sorry theblessed, not sure you follow the thread from the begginning. The new airport is to be built by Lagos state goverment. Lagos state cannot do anything about MMA because MMA belong to the federal govt. And Lagos state is not asking the federal govt to contribute to the new airport, as someone said eairlier, it is Lagos state public-private innitiative project.

[b]Thanks for clarifying things, instead of abusing just like the previous guy did - thinking abuse will deter me.  No, it won't! I am not the kind anyone can prevent airing her views here. No matter what they do or say, I will challenge it, period!! Just have a look at my signature once more, you will know what I mean. So, when dealing with me, they should not call up that their primitive Nigerian intimidating behaviour because, it would no wash with me!

Secondly, in responding to your calm and responsible views, I raise my hat up for the governor if what you'd just said is how it is but knowing Nigerian, there's always something behind something. I still believe that modernisation/maintaining what we have is a good idea.  Instead of a new Airport, that money could be spent on our hospitals, housing, transports etc than dumping the whole lot on one project that mainly serve the interest of the rich.  Obviously, poor people can not afford to fly out and poor people are the masses and it's them that suffers most, isn't it Why not meet their needs first afterall, the old Airport is still usable and people are still flying out of it right now as I write, no one has died flying in or out of it. That, I find too wrong to handle!
[/b]
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by ekitikan(m): 1:42pm On Oct 12, 2009
Theblessed:

[b]Thanks for clarifying things, instead of abusing just like the previous guy did - thinking abuse will deter me. No, it won't! I am not the kind anyone can prevent airing her views here. No matter what they do or say, I will challenge it, period!! Just have a look at my signature once more, you will know what I mean. So, when dealing with me, they should not call up that their primitive Nigerian intimidating behaviour because, it would no wash with me!

Secondly, in responding to your calm and responsible views, I raise my hat up for the governor if what you'd just said is how it is but knowing Nigerian, there's always something behind something. I still believe that modernisation/maintaining what we have is a good idea. Instead of a new Airport, that money could be spent on our hospitals, housing, transports etc than dumping the whole lot on one project that mainly serve the interest of the rich. Obviously, poor people can not afford to fly out and poor people are the masses and it's them that suffers most, isn't it Why not meet their needs first afterall, the old Airport is still usable and people are still flying out of it right now as I write, no one has died flying in or out of it. That, I find too wrong to handle!
[/b]
I DONT CALL A SPADE A SPADE, I SHOVE IT AT YOU AND TELL YOU CANT YA SEE THIS IS A SPADE, DIMWIT
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Akanniade(m): 1:42pm On Oct 12, 2009
Yes of course. Am tired of the pilot's announcement: " we are number 6 for landing please be patient".
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by ezeagu(m): 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2009
Every major city has an intercity airport and another one on the side, Lagos shoudl definetely have another airport, but not inside the city. E.g Heathrow is on the outskirts of London, here is the Newark airport near New York.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by mrperfect(m): 2:16pm On Oct 12, 2009
This is not necessity this money can be used on other things if this new airport is not necessary as it appears to be.
Let Government focus all their attention on Education, Road and Security with these three points, we can move forward, not new airport(Although not bad Idea if is what Graduates, common man in the street needs) .
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by TOSJOKAD: 2:37pm On Oct 12, 2009
So many Nigerians does not really know what they want.As big as Lagos is,there should be at least two Airport.It going to help in developing Lagos the more and to really meet up with International standard i.e Lagos itself.Please if you dont agree with this,"tell me how many Airports are in New York city or Singapore?"those are the places we have to be comparing Lagos with not with baby state which just started developing yesterday.Although I'm not from Lagos but Lagos is like the capital city of Yoruba land.Eko oni baje o.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by KnowAll(m): 2:45pm On Oct 12, 2009
.As big as Lagos is,there should be at least two Airport.It going to help in developing Lagos the more and to really meet up with International standard i.e Lagos itself.Please if you dont agree with this,"tell me how many Airports are in New York city or Singapore?"those are the places we have to be comparing Lagos with not with baby state which just started developing yesterday.Although I'm not from Lagos but Lagos is like the capital city of Yoruba land.Eko oni baje o.

Some people think from their arse sha, u have one flight every 4 or 5 hours in the night yet u want build another airport, looks like if Fashola wants to build shit holes akala style some people here would still praise him yet Akala is the butt of all jokes.

Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by kaypinchi(m): 3:18pm On Oct 12, 2009
Yes o! We need a new one, in fact two new ones.
Yes, one in Lekki and another in Badagry. Yes we need 'em. How can we refuse. When Ogun state is planning for one too and the current MMA 1&2 are owned by the FG. We need to plan ahead.

The current one at Ikeja cannot handle the air traffic we currently generate. You all know we travel (far & wide) a lot in this our country. With all the money we control in this country, ,  Airports bring in more money than roads, railways or even waterways.

To think of it, we can even just have an airport for every LGA or is it LCDA. That will save a lot of vehicular traffic we constantly experience in Lagos.
This way, a short okada hop can take us to the nearest airport & people won't really be missing their flights. We all know what traffic can do to would-be travellers and we can't all use sirens.
Also, the delay we constantly experience at the arrival lounge will be a thing of the past, we can handle more tourists at the same time and export from Epe to badagry will be in minutes.
Air safety will be improved; yes, if there is no NEPA in one airport, the pilot can easily divert ot the next airport and land safely. Lagos can then boast of being capable of hosting the Olympic games (by 2022).

Touts too will be confused as there will be to many airports to tout. New 'jobs' will be created for customs & immigration officers. new anti-terrorism and anti-millitant gadgets. Supplies and contracts left and right, haba who can say 'no'

Infact, the merits outweighs the demerits.
angry
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by novaman: 3:40pm On Oct 12, 2009
yes we need another airport in Lagos; the idea of a speed train from the zone to lekki will create more problem than building an airport, because the land for the airport is already available but for the train, we need to bring down several buildings creating another need for compensation; costing the state more money. We need an airport with duty free facility.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by ezeagu(m): 3:41pm On Oct 12, 2009
Dare I say a subway? grin
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Fhemmmy: 3:44pm On Oct 12, 2009
The one we have is yet to be maintained in the world class. . . doing good job lately, but more can still be done.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by agbalaya: 4:11pm On Oct 12, 2009
KnowAll:

Lagos don’t need an airport, u still have one flight and hour at MM at the moment, there is a flight out of Heathrow every 5 minutes. MM is way below capacity. Lagos State should not waste its land building Airports when the one on ground is still under utilised.

The last time I came to Nigeria, there were only 3 flights between 11:00pm and 5:00am from MM airport and we want to build another airport, what for.  undecided
[b][/b]
That must have been a decade ago u re talking about.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by lannre(m): 4:30pm On Oct 12, 2009
Government of the elites,by the elites and for the elites. I think I should hear him talk about, PSP for the Educational sector,Health Sector, Infrastructures (its only the flowers that are drinking water) Those Fashola Loyalist don't know how much Lagos state is making compare to his "lets shout" projects. (Clearance of oshodi has been the major achievement) Decay in the Educational sector can be stopped,water can be provided in this Aqua State. We are not asking for too much,let there be Vocational centers for the less privilege ,let celebrate the 900 days or what next with smiles on the faces of less privileges. affordable housing can be achieved.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by tunde300us(m): 6:40pm On Oct 12, 2009
I didnt do more than B.Sc but i sure do understand dis issue more than so many ppl here.
The lagos state govt isnt using ur money to build a new airport,but monies from private establishment nd yet ppl go on saying govt shld focus on other things,atleast they re focusing on sometin.
They say d airport is for the free trade zone nd u guys re asking for a subway,subway to the uk or wat? If wat u mean is a means of transportation to nd from the airport then i say YES ! but the govt already has a rail project from badagry to CMS and maybe to the new airport,nt MMA (PDP/BICOURTNEY)owned am sure of dat afta GAT

Let all those sayin its not necessay tell me how they will deal with an FG dat sees everytin good as politics nd a cheap way of being noticed.pls if u dont reside in Nigeria dont waste ur time cos u will miss it, u guys dont understand the politics of development in Nigeria.
Ask prof utomi about his rail project from LAGOS TO CALABAR that has been hanging for years becos of abuja politicians.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by slimes(m): 7:20pm On Oct 12, 2009
From the way things are going the MMA is not going to be enough. Most cities in the USA have more than 5 airports so the issue of creating additional airport for Lagos is not to be misunderstood because for many years, Lagos has proved to be an international centre for trade and business.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by jingoma(m): 7:27pm On Oct 12, 2009
skylite:

Hey @jingoma  Nigeria is about twice the size of California and not the size of Texas, pls do not
post what you are not sure of again
Hey[b] DIMWIT AKA skylite [/b] I said Nigeria is about the size of Texas (not exactly) but give or take a few square miles then you said Nigeria is  twice the size of California and you are right , but what you are IGNORANT OF is the fact that Texas is almost twice the size of California so I said "Half a dozen and you said NO its six". Get your facts together. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_area
Back to the topic, Most cities with more than one airport are facilitating Thousands of flights a day. MMA can barely handle 20 international flights a day not because of the size of the airport but because of the Incompetence of the Airport Staff and lack of Structural Maintainance of the facility. So do you think building another airport that will be built with inferior materials (cos the bulk of the money will end up in politicians pockets) will fix the problem?? NO! all you will have is another poorly maintained airport with incompetent staff AGAIN!!

Solution: Upgrade and maintain the one we have till we Maximize its potential.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by spikedcylinder: 7:38pm On Oct 12, 2009
It gives some of us jobs, abeg.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Hauwa1: 8:03pm On Oct 12, 2009
new airport ok, current one should be made into a museum undecided
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by JOSEPHOKO(m): 8:18pm On Oct 12, 2009
I DON'T THINK WE NEED ANOTHER AIRPORT IN LAGOS. FASHOLA SHOULD INVEST THAT MONEY ON THE POOR PEOPLE LIVING IN LAGOS, CONSTRUCT, MORE ROADS TO MINIMIZE THE TRAFFIC JAMS WE ARE EXPERIENCING, BUILD LOW COST HOUSES FOR THE TEEMING POPULACE AND A LOT MORE. cheesy

OGA FASHOLA PLS IF WAN MAKE I YAN U DE REMAINING TORY ABEG MAIL ME 4 danmich65@yahoo.com you hear!! grin
[b]
[/b]
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Pharoh: 8:38pm On Oct 12, 2009
lannre:

Government of the elites,by the elites and for the elites. I think I should hear him talk about, PSP for the Educational sector,Health Sector, Infrastructures (its only the flowers that are drinking water) Those Fashola Loyalist don't know how much Lagos state is making compare to his "lets shout" projects. (Clearance of oshodi has been the major achievement) Decay in the Educational sector can be stopped,water can be provided in this Aqua State. We are not asking for too much,let there be Vocational centers for the less privilege ,let celebrate the 900 days or what next with smiles on the faces of less privileges. affordable housing can be achieved.

Will fashola loyalist listen to you?

Does lagos need a dubai in the first place? misplaced priorities everywhere angry, Very unpatriotic comments here only talking about creating jobs. Jobs for who? Yes i know about the development politics going on in Nigeria and building your own airports will solve that right? Why don't we sit down and re-write that fucking damn constitution and practice true fiscal federalism where the center will no longer dictate to the states what they can do or not do. is that not better than building an airport and a free trade zone.

The most annoying this is that people don't realize that Lagos state is a special state and is not that fashola is even the expected messiah. Why don't you put him in those far northern state and see if he will perform?
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by linkin8k(m): 8:54pm On Oct 12, 2009
We dont need another airport, but lookin on the bright side it creates lots of job opportunity for the masses like me  smiley
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Theblessed(f): 8:57pm On Oct 12, 2009
KnowAll:

Lagos don’t need an airport, u still have one flight and hour at MM at the moment, there is a flight out of Heathrow every 5 minutes. MM is way below capacity. Lagos State should not waste its land building Airports when the one on ground is still under utilised.

The last time I came to Nigeria, there were only 3 flights between 11:00pm and 5:00am from MM airport and we want to build another airport, what for.  undecided
[/b]

Just don't mind them! It seems money is now making them mad.  Why not invest that money in constructing cheaper housing for poor people.  This would save them from struggling to find 2 - 4 years deposit for those those Lagos State RENT SHARK Landlords.  At least with Government cheap housing, people will be expected to pay appropriate rent/deposit instead of the greed/chaos there is at the moment both in Lagos and Abuja. Its only in Nigeria that Landlords have no shame in requesting 2 - 4 years deposit from prospective tenants.  Imagine the level of unemployment there, and those who have jobs are on very low income trying to make ends meet yet, these rent sharks wants all the rents in one go. This can not be right when it's a big burden on individuals and there are no laws to monitor/control the rent sharks. Terrible, what greed can do!. So, Lagos State Government should rethink it's plan in these lines.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by tarano: 9:04pm On Oct 12, 2009
I don't have enough information to make an informed judgement on this issue, The question is why do we need a new international Airport in Lagos??
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by adconline(m): 9:21pm On Oct 12, 2009
tunde
to ma friend in okitipupa,the lekki free trade zone is not a lagos state funded affair,dat is why u need to shield it from PDP ppl,nd u need to come nd see the stadium the lagos state govt has here in surulere.WORLD CLASS.
and at redsun, there is nobody to put heads together with in Nigeria except average citizens and am sure so many ppl that oppose this development approach re not living in Nigeria that is why your comments have been dis way.Se na yaradull u wan put your head togeda with abi na im vice wey no get portfolio

You still have not answered the question. Who is going to manage this airport when fashola is gone? The LASG  that could not account for  its investment in Econet or the same LASG that cannot hold area boys accountable. LASG is not Fashola. State owned investments do not outperform FG investments.  How much income does LASG stadium generate? By the way who is going to fund this airport if not for the govt?
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by DisGuy: 9:24pm On Oct 12, 2009
tarano:

I don't have enough information to make an informed judgement on this issue, The question is why do we need a new international Airport in Lagos??

Abi o, How many people travel use MMA, how many people travel by Air in nigeria even
What happened to overpopulation? How are we sure the so called Free trade zone will be successful and why do they need an airport, will the workers there fly to flats in ogba?
how about 4 new bridges tolled to generate revenue and ease traffic.
the state govt should partner neighbouring state govt and private sector for a high speed trains
I really pity the people moving to lekki area, in the near future their neighbourhood will be turned into an overpopulated commercial area with construction and plane noise all over the place

where is the PPP train thats supposed to be operational by 2011 again?
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by JijiInc: 9:35pm On Oct 12, 2009
There is no need to build another airport. People hardly visit Nigeria except Nigerians that live in abroad. Nigeria has close to 170 million and Lagos airport, it hardly have 4 million a year. What is it the point of new airport when foreign plane hardly come to Nigeria or they come and they do not stay more than 3 or 4 hours and just one plane from other country is pathetic. Use that money to develop a better living for those that live the country. New airport will not give food to common man, children and woman on the street food.

@poster, I guess you have never been to MMIA at any time in your life that is why you are a dumb ass. Don't you think Governor Fashola made a good proposition when he talked about building a standard international airport in Lagos and in the Lekki axis? This will create more job opportunities especially when it is done on a B.O.T basis (Build, Operate and Transfer for your dumb skull), instead of assigning FAAN to upgrade the substandard airports which have been renovated many times.

This will also bring revenue and increased trade to the country and empower Lasgidi to become a hub for airlines in the West African axis. This will be
welcomed by many Lagosians. Let's pray that BTF's plan to incorporate rail into Lagos will come to pass.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Tmoni(m): 9:42pm On Oct 12, 2009
We need the airport, simples

@Theblessed, can you please be a blessing to me by reducing your font size and colour, i would still be able to get your views on the proposed airport
Thank you

But, people saying things about the state needing roads, education etc
The underlying factor here is the Private sector financing this project therefore it does not affect Government coffers,
infact it would even increase Government's revenue through taxes(individual & corporation) which can then be used on education etc
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by tunde300us(m): 10:17pm On Oct 12, 2009
ma friend 4rm okitipupa is a confuse person,pls can someone help me explain to him what private investment means nd pls how do u make area boys accountable when you didnt appoint them in the first place.
Maybe u have a problem with the man himself abi cos all u have been saying is against the lagos state govt nd not against the or in support of the topic in question.Pls before anyone says anything else on this thread i think they shld know dis has nothing to do with lagos monies.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Princek12(m): 10:20pm On Oct 12, 2009
The Blessed,
First, could you please use the same font (color and size) that everyone is using? Your current font is annoyingly distracting and does not add to your substantive arguments. Why don't you get this simple analysis. While private investors with expertise in airport management would be using their resources for the proposed airport, it by no means affect any other govt. initiatives such as fair housing, among others; and your proposition about using the money to construct affordable housing is irrational because you cannot commandeer private investors on how to spend their money. Also it is not a feasible alternative to have govt-run housing-- private developers would do a better job. In prior years, govt. run housing such as the low-cost housing estates constructed during the Jakande regime failed woefully for obvious reasons: they were aesthetically incapacitated, terribly maintained, and circumstances surrounding those low cost buildings help to breed crime.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by mhm(m): 11:07pm On Oct 12, 2009
After being a victim of the crass incompetence of the staff at the international airport coupled with the shameful way the airport looks I would really support the buildin gof another one. especially as its a public privae partnership.

As long as FAAN manages the MMIA there is no way it will come up to standard. (No functional air conditioners, no trolleys even after paying for them and then waiting for an hour to collect bags.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by tunde300us(m): 11:14pm On Oct 12, 2009
Let all those who are in doubt check out this link from Thisday of today 12-10-2009 and maybe they will understand how dis whole stuff will work.Atlast something good from lagos on behalf of Nigeria
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=156825
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by jingoma(m): 11:27pm On Oct 12, 2009
Tmoni:

We need the airport, simples

@Theblessed, can you please be a blessing to me by reducing your font size and colour, i would still be able to get your views on the proposed airport
Thank you
quote]
Ditto
]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Many Of The Fg's 1600 New Buses Are Made In Nigeria / Jonathan Will Be Niger Delta Republic President. / Your 7yr Famine Begins Now! Pls Allow Me To Drink My Oyel!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.