Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,158 members, 7,946,913 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 09:22 AM

Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? (5861 Views)

Poll: Is Another International Airport Really Necesarry?

Yes: 50% (50 votes)
No: 50% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

Amaechi Inspects Port-Harcourt International Airport - Photos / This Is Where Fayose Plans To Build Airport In Ekiti(photos) / See The Exact Crate Umaru Dikko Was Found In At Stansted Airport In 1984 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by jingoma(m): 11:32pm On Oct 12, 2009
Ditto
I was trying to figure out a polite way to ask @Theblessed to resize her font. FYI it is actually considered rude and insulting to use BOLD. Large Fonts or Vibrant colours in a talk or discussion forum. It is just like YELLING while having a conversation
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by babapupa: 11:46pm On Oct 12, 2009
It beast me why some of you are still talking about the dirty old and useless MMA.

The rotten airport doesn't belong to the state gov' and they have zero jurisdiction to mess with it.

MMA belongs to the federal government and the place is a shit hole for a reason and the reason is, it belongs to the federal government of Nigeria.

One more time, stop repeating the same useless argument about Fashola wasting money, it's his job to seek investments and jobs for his state, he took an oath to do just that.

He's not spending the state's money on any of these projects.

One more time for the slow people, by law,  he can not re-paint MMA talk less renovate it and MMA is non of his business.

We didn't elect him to cater to federal government's neglects and lousy infrastructures, we elect him to move the state forward, not backward.

Lastly, don't access the new airport if you no like, no be by force.

We need a new airport for a whole lot of reasons and weda you like or you no like, we're getting it.

Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by VOR(m): 12:38am On Oct 13, 2009
Why not simply expand MMA?

Perhaps create another runway, expand the terminal building
and include an integrated transport system for ferrying passengers
from the airport to their final destinations.

I'm sure this would be more cost effective.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by femionasan(m): 12:29pm On Oct 13, 2009
Its quite appalling that some posters on this thread do not understand that State Governments have no jurisdiction over the Federal Government property. MMA is being run by the Federal Govt. The Lasg cannot put toilet paper in the toilet because it is Federal Govt Property. Secondly Lasg is not building this new Airport, it is going to be built and run by a private company with expertise in the required area. The state govt will only provide a conducive environment for the Airport to be built. An agreement will be made between the State govt and the private company to run the Airport for a number of years after which it be will be handed over back to the Govt.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by martinosi: 1:12pm On Oct 13, 2009
*Hauwa*:

new airport ok, current one should be made into a museum undecided

They are planning to build an International Cargo Airport at Lekki @ the
New Free Trade Zone, U have the Malayasians & Chinese to thank for that
One lol!!!
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by martinosi: 1:13pm On Oct 13, 2009
Does any one hear what i hear about this new Cargo Airport
and Free Trade Zone ? More Resource Extraction,

I hear the Chinese are now bidding for a portion of our Oil Reserves Lol!!!!
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by martinosi: 1:22pm On Oct 13, 2009
Here's the link to the story on the "FTZ"

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/12/213.html
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by kayc33(m): 2:13pm On Oct 13, 2009
why do we need another international airport when the existing ones haven't been properly managed
Nigeria sabi waste money sha.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by BabaO2: 2:46pm On Oct 13, 2009
Lagos don’t need an airport, u still have one flight and hour at MM at the moment, there is a flight out of Heathrow every 5 minutes. MM is way below capacity. Lagos State should not waste its land building Airports when the one on ground is still under utilised.

The last time I came to Nigeria, there were only 3 flights between 11:00pm and 5:00am [/b]from MM airport and we want to build another airport, what for.  Undecided

@Theblessed
Just don't mind them! It seems money is now making them mad.  Why not invest that money in constructing cheaper housing for poor people.  This would save them from struggling to find 2 - 4 years deposit for those those Lagos State RENT SHARK Landlords.  At least with Government cheap housing, people will be expected to pay appropriate rent/deposit instead of the greed/chaos there is at the moment both in Lagos and Abuja. Its only in Nigeria that Landlords have no shame in requesting 2 - 4 years deposit from prospective tenants.  Imagine the level of unemployment there, and those who have jobs are on very low income trying to make ends meet yet, these rent sharks wants all the rents in one go. This can not be right when it's a big burden on individuals and there are no laws to monitor/control the rent sharks. Terrible, what greed can do!. So, Lagos State Government should rethink it's plan in these lines.
@Theblessed,
why is it in you in this 21st century?, pls work on your state government if you are too worried about the developments taking place in Lagos. Am not surprised again, that Nigeria has not developed beyond this level, because there are lots and lots of pple and your type that always pull down the wheel of developments in the so called Nigeria entity. Please reduce the font size of your nauseating words.

And the guy that said 3 flights in 6 hours at MMA in Lagos is a bloody liar and am not sure this guy has ever been to MMA or any airports in the world not to talk of boarding a flight in his lifetime. What a fake human being.
we definitely need the new airport in Lagos and link up train and facilities as it is with LHR/LGW. What a source of good revenue to the state.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by babapupa: 3:17pm On Oct 13, 2009
Its quite appalling that some posters on this thread do not understand that State Governments have no jurisdiction over the Federal Government property. MMA is being run by the Federal Govt. The Lasg cannot put toilet paper in the toilet because it is Federal Govt Property. Secondly Lasg is not building this new Airport, it is going to be built and run by a private company with expertise in the required area. The state govt will only provide a conducive environment for the Airport to be built. An agreement will be made between the State govt and the private company to run the Airport for a number of years after which it be will be handed over back to the Govt.

Well said jare.

Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Amhatu(m): 5:10pm On Oct 13, 2009
Gov.Fashola has been doing a good Job in Lagos State. If a new airport is built, lets hope Benin City,Uyo
and other citys in the South South States of Nigeria get priorty Airline route destination.
I have been wondering about the economic potential of Asaba-Benin-Lagos Hwy. Asaba-Benin-Lagos Hwy,
it has huge potential with side shops, Flats and many job creation potentials lets not forget about Asaba-Benin-Lagos Hwy.
This Hwy needs to be developed like Badagry-Lagos Hwy. cool

goodday,

Amhatu
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by DisGuy: 10:05pm On Oct 13, 2009
how much is tinapa generating at the moment Forza Free trade zone Forza PPPnaija style Hurray Tinapa!

how much is the INTERNATIONAL CARGO IN KWARA/OGUN/GOMBE GENERATING?
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by spoilt(f): 11:42pm On Oct 13, 2009
let them fix the existing one
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by babapupa: 12:03am On Oct 14, 2009

let them fix the existing one,

Who is them? Must you you guys repeat the same bogus statement?

Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by adconline(m): 6:20am On Oct 14, 2009
ma friend 4rm okitipupa is a confuse person,pls can someone help me explain to him what private investment means nd pls how do u make area boys accountable when you didnt appoint them in the first place.
Maybe u have a problem with the man himself abi cos all u have been saying is against the lagos state govt nd not against the or in support of the topic in question.Pls before anyone says anything else on this thread i think they shld know dis has nothing to do with lagos monies.

Maybe you should tell us what private investment means since Fashola is championing this project. Your posted link does not in any way mention that those said companies would pick  up the tab. I think your problem is selective amnesia. Any evidence to show that LASG investments outperformed FG's.  Another  New York wannabe mentality. LASG is  having trouble figuring how to recover its investment in Econet wireless.  Can you tell me how much LASG invested in ENRON and how much it recouped. What happens when Fashola is out of office in next few year?

What  is your understanding of MOU? What is happening in TINAPA? West Africa accounts for only 14% of Africa's air traffic and you can the imagine what's Lagos share of that 14%. MMA is just 7th busiest airport in Africa and handles just above 1/4 of Joburg Aiport air traffic
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by KnowAll(m): 7:40am On Oct 14, 2009
Can someone answer this questions please

1. What is an airport

2. What is an airline

3. Does FG or Lagos State goverments have airlines.

4. Lagos State wants to build another airport because the current one belongs to the FG, is it ok for the FCT Abuja to build its own airport since the current one the Nnmadi Azikwe Airport also belongs to the FG.

5. If No to question 3, why does Lagos State goverment want to build another airport when the current one is under utilised. Secondly who will fly to this airport.

My take is except Lagos State have a lot of planes that will be ferrying passengers all over the place for pea nuts then they can build another airport. I dont see how British Airways, Virgin Atlantic , Arik, Lufthansa, KLM , Air France,  and a host of other airlines increasing their slot from one flight a day to Lagos to 2 a day, one a day each from MM and Lekki Airport. Some of the flights mentioned here even with the one a day slot are still  empty when travelling back to their home destination except for the direct ones.

If 2 slots of direct flights are giving to British Airways , Arik , and Virgin Atlantic I dont think lagos has the financial clout to sustain the passenger levels for 2 direct flights a day knowing that direct flights cost a lot more than indirect flights.

Abuja is able to sustain a direct flight to London because of the large number of high net individuals who travel first and bussiness class. A British Airways flight to London with only about 100 passengers from Abuja with 20 or 25 first class passenger each paying between £5,000 and £7,000 and busines class passenger paying between £1,200 and 1,800 is more profitable than a jumbo with 250 passengers paying £350 or N116,000.00 per passengers from lagos. 
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by tunde300us(m): 2:29pm On Oct 14, 2009
ma friend 4rm okitipupa keeps asking the same questn in diff forms.U asked wat an MOU means and i will ask to know if u undastand wat BOT means? (memorandum of understanding) cos ur first argument was dat lagos state shld focus on some other things instead of an airport,nd i told u they are not spending on the free trade zone apart from the land they are allocating to the project.
And y are u guys focusing on the same thing (airport)its just one in a whole package,i posted a link to the benefits of this FTZ maybe u shld go nd read it and come back here to apologise.When the BRT scheme was started in lagos even lagosians themselves said worse,so i am not surprised but now am sure some cannot do without it.
And where did u get ur info about lagos state govt having problem with its investment in econet wireless,nd enron abeg stop making a mockery of urself jare grin. Enron project was not a profit making venture ma friend so wat investment do u want to recoup from such nd go nd check it out its d same FG dat messed it up.
U also asked wat happens when fashola leaves office anoda (fashola-like) will continue,dont forget FTZ want fashola's idea it was tinubu and fashola is going to implement it. Dats how things works in lagos nd it will continue by Gods grace

As for tinapa i think it was not tut well cos how many businesses is in cross rivers in the first place that u are thinking of an FTZ,but i think the reason that place collapsed was becos of this same FG's problem.Customs was supposed to grant the place right to be an FTZ and till date it dosent have it making the real purpose meaningless.

@knowall :The frequency of flights from Nigeria will increase when they get ppl with brains to attend to them cos if u own an airline nd all the time the FG keeps interferring in ur issues am sure u will pack ur things nd go,that was the case with virgin.It has an agreement with obasanjo as to how things will work and suddenly yaradull and his cohorts came nd scuttle everything.Believe me i wldnt have supported another airport in lagos if MMA is functioning well and isolated from politics of PDP nd its bllod sucking ministers.
Do u know that arik is threatening to stop daily flights in Nigeria again,and all this is becos of FG's undue politiking.If they find an airport where things re done well am sure every airline will make Nigeria an HUB
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by adconline(m): 11:12pm On Oct 14, 2009
tunde,
U still have not answered the question who is going to build the airport if not LASG. What did you mean that ENRON joint venture with LASG was not profit oriented. Its either you are insulated from facts or allergic to them. It was really stupid of LASG to investment in ENRON's project without any benefits. Maybe that's why we have follow follow leadership. You sound so clueless on investment. So you mean that LASG just threw millions of dollars into EKO river without anything to show for it? ENRON recouped its investment  by selling it shares and Bola Tinubu and co lost everything.
Would the likes of Trafigura build airport? Its an oil trading company for goodness sake. Do your research and stop feeding us hypes and propaganda. This is a  company that was  responsible for dumping toxic waste in Ivory Coast that killed a lot of people some years ago.
Your analysis of Calabar FTZ is wrong because Lekki is modeled after Dubai which was a dersert before everything came into being, so Calabar offers different alternative to overcrwoded Lagos. Calabar should be a pilot programme for future Naija's FTZs.
Has Telsy Energy Consulting & Investment Limited built a power generating plant before? What's their track record on power plant design and utility?
Does Cornerstone Consultants Limited have any existing power plant in Nigeria? This sounds like another Trancorp and Pentascope in Nigeria.

You should have known that LASG's investment into ECONET is under investigation by EFCC and London Metropolitan Police

Nigeria: (March) Enron's shares in Lagos power plant is sold to AES after government accuses Enron of secrecy and bad faith in contractual obligations. World Bank provides concessional loan to Lagos power plant. World Bank approves loan to privatize Nigeria's power, telecoms, air transport, and Lagos water sectors.

http://www.newswatchngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1348&Itemid=42
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=2278
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-79491511.html
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by babapupa: 4:49am On Oct 15, 2009
U still have not answered the question who is going to build the airport if not LASG.

Your argument lack credibility if you honestly believe say Lagos state government is funding the new airport.

lol @ Lagos is over crowded. so we should stop developing lagos because it's over crowded?

abeg stop the opaks,
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by adconline(m): 1:25pm On Oct 15, 2009
Your argument lack credibility if you honestly believe say Lagos state government is funding the new airport.

lol @ Lagos is over crowded. so we should stop developing lagos because it's over crowded?

abeg stop the opaks,

But you guys have not provided me with different facts to drive home your argument. Would I  be asking these questions if Dangote wanted to build an airport in Lekki FTZ. I dont know of any major airport in Africa that was not govt funded. Even in the west,  most intl airports are owned and finaced by govt. Dont show me emotion for the love of Lagos, show me some  facts.

Lagos is over crowded, but it needs other things  to be rebuilt not new aiport
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by tunde300us(m): 5:24pm On Oct 15, 2009
ma friend 4rm okitipupa,please dont see it as a contest of words or opinions but likei keep sain on nairaland we are just cross fertilizing ideas and hope to get more info about issue so that we can better our view of things.
I am still sure ure wrong about the enron issue cos lagos state was to subsidise whateva enron is charging and lagos was suppose to get all the generated power from there,but while all those were going on, the FG tru NEPA then started playing politics and am not sure how it all ended but i think even as at last year the FG was still deducting from lagos state monies for wat it wasnt enjoin total benefit.If u decide as a govt to subsidise what ur people use am sure no one can call that a profit making venture cos its a public gesture by the govt.Or u expect the FG to be making monies from petrol when its subsidising it .

Can u pls tell me which airport bi-courtney has managed b4? cos all ur arguments about who build wat is not necessarily right.
Pls get it right,dis airport is not going to be built with lagos monies but lagos will end up being the owner cos its on a BOT arrangement.
One thing i want to tell u is dis ,whether u like m abi u no like am LFTZ will be a success,with or without ur support.chikena
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by adconline(m): 7:43pm On Oct 15, 2009
tunde,
Like i told you still have not told us who is going to build and transfer. your analysis appeals to emotions not factually based. Top Five  Airports in the world and Africa are efficiently owned and managed by government. If you are talking about concession  then its a different ball game.  You dont have all  the facts on ENRON and you are  still arguing about it. You counter arguments with facts not with  emotions. Why do you think that FG is responsible for all Lagos problems? After all Lagos was better managed when it was the capital than the current state of affairs.
However, I was asking about some of these companies pledging millions of dollars. With the exception of Trafigura, the rest seem like Nigeria companies which are fortified with political cronies. One of the companies Telsy Energy Consulting & Investment Limited  has only man as the founder and this is a company that is going to deliver power project. This is another ENRON waiting to happen, cos you are absolving LASG of wasting state's resources on fictitious projects. ENRON's project with LASG was an IPP (Independent Power Project) so saying that Lagos was not supposed to make any money out of it is shear blindness to facts or fallacy.
My issue is that LASG has the same maintenance culture as FG and this well intentioned project will decay once Fashola is out of office

As per Bi-Courtney, they built on existing infrastructure, eg urban planning,MMA1, original architectural and engineering designs. They  built for local airline industries not international. However, power project is not the same thing as  structural engineering. I bet you that companies like Julie Berger may not have expertise on power projects. There is a historical precedent in Nigeria that we have successfully built airports, but no one man company has  ever  built a power company.
Ask deeper questions, U should verify some  of these lies being fed to us by govt.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by sandee575(f): 2:14pm On Oct 17, 2009
Lagos does not need another airport just now. The roads need urgent rehabilitation.
Refuse disposal. Drainage. Power supply. Security. Medicals. Education. Beer parlours.
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Theblessed(f): 3:40pm On Oct 17, 2009
Princek12:

The Blessed,
First, could you please use the same font (color and size) that everyone is using? Your current font is annoyingly distracting
and does not add to your substantive arguments. Why don't you get this simple analysis. While private investors with expertise in airport management would be using their resources for the proposed airport, it by no means affect any other govt. initiatives such as fair housing, among others; and your proposition about using the money to construct affordable housing is irrational because you cannot commandeer private investors on how to spend their money. Also it is not a feasible alternative to have govt-run housing-- private developers would do a better job. In prior years, govt. run housing such as the low-cost housing estates constructed during the Jakande regime failed woefully for obvious reasons: they were aesthetically incapacitated, terribly maintained, and circumstances surrounding those low cost buildings help to breed crime.

[b]Hi Mr

I don't have to respond to your comments on here but I would like you to know something. You see, I hate bullies and understand that Nigeria is fully of them. But people like you can't bully me, why??  Because, we are all same product - Nigerians. If you have understanding and live in a world of 'Live and let live', you would understand that like you, other people are entitled to happiness - whatever that meant to you.

We all have different needs and, approach our needs/challenges differently - so do you and I, but what gave you the right to tell me how I should live my life? You're happy writing in the font you are comfortable with, so do I. What makes you think you know what's right for me? Because, everyone is writing in the same font therefore, I should, eh Does everyone have the same needs If you're a follower, I don't follow - I lead, others can follow if they want! Please understand this, if you want respect you have to accord the same, ok! 

People are free to do what they want even if its hurting/annoying others, as you claimed. It's only ignorants with jealousy in their hearts claims that bold texts are blinding to them. To that I say, you can get blind if you want, my bold texts stays as they are and any more of your threats, will get them more bigger - be warned!! I am comfortable reading big texts than small ones as I have eye problems. If my big texts are annoying to you and others, please don't read my essays/commentaries, they are not meant for you, ok! Sometimes, people should understand they have limited powers to change things around them and, this is one of them. From what I am seeing here, if you have the power obviously, you would have changed my font to suit your need to control me on here unfortunately for you, you can not and I'm glad you can see you haven't got the power therefore, back off!!

I have not done any thing wrong on here, I chose my font like anyone else so what's the heck? Look, if you can not beat them join them, ok! If my font is upsetting you, I suggest you try it and stop moaning! Probably, you haven't the skills or you're having difficulty accessing technical features of this website in that case, please ask people they will teach you.  Personally, I'll be obliged to teach you if you wouldn't swallow your pride and shy away.

Right, let's not get distracted from the issues. Your arguments regarding the above topic is quite unreasonable.  Are you saying that, because private investors are planning to invest their money in Nigeria therefore, we should allow anything they propose in the name of development? What a rationale? Surely, this your emotional blackmail will not wash! You see, Nigerians have suffered alot and have needs that should have been sorted 50 years after Independence and, they hadn't obviously, your new Airport is not one of them. I could hear some people continuously blaming the Colonial Masters for Nigeria's failure to develop herself but hey, I ask since she hadn't grown up after 50 years when will she? It's always someone's fault that Nigeria has done this and not that but when will Nigeria own up to her own mistakes?

Get me right, I am not criticizing the Governor's achievements in Lagos State because, he has done well compared to his predecessors. I am Pro development and growth in my Country but will criticize any thing I consider or see as a hindrance to the development/growth of my people. If for nothing else, at least,Nigerian is blessed with Human Resources and for us to develop and achieve our aims, Nigeria must tap into her human resources and we can not do that when our people are lacking the most important of all Human Rights - Food, Shelter and Clothing - majority of people in Nigeria and particularly in Lagos are poor and have no abode and some people even live below one dollar a day and here you are building a new Airport, for who?

You've got to count one before you can count two, buddy!

As you mentioned, the low cost Estates during Jakande's era was a New Kid on the Block idea at the time yet, according to you, it failed. It did not deliver what was intended but whose fault? Remember, just as this new Airport, Jakande's low housing scheme was someone's idea, someone's plan, someone's construction, someone approval and the masses then supported it yet, it failed. Your argument is, it failed because of aesthetic reasons, maintenance issues and crime. Again, I ask, whose fault? Obviously, that of the Wise men who thought they got it right then, just as these lots are now thinking and you are supporting them.
But, what makes you think this Airport will deliver as promised? With time we will know, won't we? Knowing Nigeria, it won't surprise me when in 5 - 10 years time, someone will come up here on N/L or similar technology, criticizing the Airport's failures. I can not wait to see that and, you will realise all we've been saying that, it is more beneficial to 'modernise and maintain' in order to divert the money to areas of importance in our peoples' lives.

The maintenance argument you put forward is very important to Nigerian development. Everyone know, Nigeria is not a Country that 'MAINTAINS' things. They like new things but they won't look after it and don't like spending time learning instead, they are very smart at copying others and pretend as if, it's their own original ideas. For example, some time ago someone claimed Nigeria launched her own Satellite! Really, I said? To show how stupid some Nigerians are. May I ask, has Nigeria got Satellite Engineers who can  construct, fabricate the materials and assemble a Satellite technology? Or did they have to buy from another Country and pay their Engineers with our oil money to install it up there, instead of training and supporting our own? And when this Satellite breaks down, who maintains it? Obviously, foreign Engineer as Nigeria has not got her own.  Here, we pump in more oil money we should help our people with, into foreign land in order to access Satellite technology, how stupid?

If you want to be like the big boys, you better act like them every aspects. You see, maintaining the technology up there does not cost much to the British, Americans, France, Germany, Japan, China etc as they have their own well trained/equipped engineers but where's Nigeria's own And there you are bragging Nigeria has got her own Satellite when it falls on foreign engineers to maintain it and without them 'No Show' What a stupid claim! Know it now, Nigeria has no claim to any technology past or present maybe in the future, ok!

Based on what we've been reading on here, it seems many of you haven't got it. Listen again, our people are suffering and need help and support they can get to change their lives therefore, they need this money to be put it where it will benefit them and, a new Airport is not the place, it only serve the interests of the rich with excess wealth to lavish, I hope you GOT IT now!
[/b]
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by micokem: 4:04pm On Oct 17, 2009
why must its location be taken to somewhere lekki? why not places like surulere, ikorodu,mushin.There are lots of landmass available for such massive project.why LEKKI sad
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by manny4life(m): 6:43pm On Oct 26, 2009
Although I haven't been to Nigeria in a while but come on y'all, Lagos doesn't need another international airport unless all these are met;

1. Does MMA handle up to 20 million passengers annually? if the answer is yes, then they should go rite ahead if not, scrap the project. An international airports largely depends on passeneger traffic that brings in flights and unless MMA cannot be able to more passenger traffic

2. Although a good number of international airlines fly into Nigeria, I do not think that most international airlines would be willing to break their contractual agreement (obviously with severe penalties) just to fly to another destination airport.

3. Unless the Lagos state government is willing to loose a good amount of money at least during the first 5years just to give airlines the opportunity to test the route, then it won't work. Then competition comes into play, obviously the FG, will do everything in its power to retain it present airlines.

4. Final note is that MMA is a brand name good or bad and is internationally recoginzed by ICAO, IATA and other international organization, international authorities like U.S. FAA and europe CAA.

Advice is build an alternate local airport that has super standards more than the MMA, grin grin grin
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by akinalabi(m): 8:56pm On Oct 26, 2009
I'll love an airport on the Island. Chei. moving from the Island to Ikeja to catch a flight
no be small thing.

Usland is like a city on its own and it desrves an airpot. We can start with the local
one
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by chrisblack: 6:50pm On Nov 16, 2009
hello having gone through all your post for and against the the construction of a new airport . i came to realized that most of u guys as never really gotten to understand the whole concept of the project (lekki free trade Zone). it is and integrated new city with all the amenities of a modern city all within the existing Lagos state. look at it as a new Lagos city within the old Lagos city .

it is expect to cater for a potential of 500m people .i.e in-terms of market size across Africa
for this you need world class infrastructure to meet this size .the airport in not meant for the inhabitants of Lagos alone but for all other people from across Africa .now imagine the size when around 10% of the people presently going to Dubai now start coming to Lekki for trade?

there is going to various sectors within the zone that would involve the need for traveling in and out of the country and the importation of raw material and exporting of finished product at a very fast rate .thus the demand for air services will be much and mma can not support.mind u i grew within the MMA environment and i tell u it is getting saturated and limited to the capacity of aircraft it can take .it cannot take the new airbus dream liner.
there will be more cargo flights in and out of the zone at a very rapid rate.
the cost implication to various companies with the New Airport Will make provide some Level of cost Saving
Above all it is a public-private initiative.
there is no need to bother your self you money is not been use.rather the state government is providing enabling enviroment while investors are providing funding.
PLA AS ANY OF YOU BEEN THERE?
cause i have and LET me tell YOU this is very big than what some of you are thinking.
Fashola AS A PLAN
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by platinumnk(f): 6:56pm On Nov 16, 2009
They need to fix up the Crappy Lagos Airport before they can think of adding another one.

Sheesh nigerians!

I would have died from heat if it wasnt for the Sky Lounge that had 24 hr AC and free wifi tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by manny4life(m): 10:16pm On Dec 11, 2009
@christblack

Correction there's nothing like "New airbus Dream liner" the Dream liner design is Boeing newest product "B787 Dream liner" while Airbus is the A380 jumbo jet. However, if a B747-800 from British Airways and it cohorts land at MMA everyday, then definitely it can land at MMA with a minor extension to the runway that is if they have space and that is if its necessary. In other words, if MMA has a runway of at least 9,500 ft in length then it can land an A380 and its freighter.

The problem had not always been can an airport land the plane, the question had alway been the cost of associated with landing the plane to the benefit it would provide reason why most U.S. airports had been reluctant to expanding and adjusting their terminal space because of it width and airlines are far more reluctant in buying the plane because how much tickets would you sell on a flight to Break-even on the cost associated with the flight yet make profit?
Re: Do We Need Another International Airport In Lagos ? by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 12, 2009
I'll prefer another one in Port Harcourt. The PH airport is important. one in Lagos is enough. Each state should have one with or without FG's permission. smaller states can combine and have one together like Benin, Delta can have one in Benin. Ekiti and Ondo can have one. Not international though just local. South can have one Intnl' airport, West one, East one, North one. instead of having someone from Asaba travel to Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What Nigerian Soldiers Were Seen Doing During A Journey. Photo / Check Out Obiano’s Wife’s Weird New Look Which Has Generated Negative Reactions / Yoruba Nation: Osun Won’t Tolerate Unlawful Gatherings - Amotekun Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.