Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,878 members, 7,872,897 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:12 AM

Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites (2103 Views)

Disclose Buhari’s Health Status Now – Southern Christian Elders / Meeting Of Southern Governors' Wives' Forum In Umuahia (Photos) / Presidency Keeps Mum On Indictment Of Usani, Buhari’s Minister For Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:02pm On Nov 07, 2016
The Issue
We may recall that sometime in May(2016), a member of the House of Representative, Honourable Abdulahi Salame representing Gwadabawa/Illela federal constituency, Sokoto State, introduced a bill to altar Sections 262 and 277 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, in order to increase the jurisdiction of the Sharia Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory and Sharia Court of Appeal of a State by including Criminal Matters and Hudud and Qisas and for "other related Matters”. The pro Sharia bill not only passed first reading, it passed  second reading in a very quiet fashion.

When the bill became public, as usual the so-called Southern leaders and Christians under the auspices of CAN blew hot air and gave their boring ultimatum. The bill was not stopped, it is still at its formative stage of being passed into law as at this moment.

At present, the Senate is considering a similar bill before it. In fact, just like that of the House of Representative, the bill before the Senate has passed second reading... YES! Second reading.

The Unpatriotic Southern/Christian Elites?
While the Muslim northern elites through their Senators and Representatives irrespective of partisan affiliation are united in achieving the pro Sharia bill to be passed into law in the interest of their own people, the so called Christian and Southern elites are either oiling the move by not posing opposition(legislators) or are keeping silent completely seeing nothing amiss in it- against the wishes and desires of the southern and christian population.

It is unfortunate that of the hundreds of National Assembly representatives of Christian and southern extraction, not one of them has shown the expected will to fight the proposed bill to standstill.

In fact, the revelation made by Hon Salame, the sponsor of the bill in which he claimed that the Speaker of the House of Representative, Hon Yakubu Dogara, a Christian from Southern Bauchi was aware of the bill and even instructed for its silent inclusion is yet to be denied by Dogara till date. 

The position of the Vice President of the federation, a Christian and Pastor from Ogun state that saw no wrong in the bill because  "it didn't originate from the Presidency" is a shame, ridiculous and an act of betrayal.

Is this not the same National Assembly that has kept the Petroleum Industry Bill in their shelf since 2008 when it was first proposed simply because the north had a different definition of "host communities" and want to impose their flawed definition on the rest of Nigeria?

Is the Senate not the same Senate that wasted no time in rejecting the proposal of Lagos state for 1% VAT to be accrued to the state even when she is the undisputed number one contributor to the said VAT?

is it not the same Senate that rejected proposal to insert referendum in the constitution only a few weeks ago simply because the north weren't comfortable with it?

Should we also talk about the issue of federalism (or regionalism) championed by the south in order to progress her people but has never seen the light in any chamber of the National Assembly simply because the northerners are afraid of any part having the opportunity to break away or are not yet ready to lose status as the highest beneficiary of oil proceeds?

Their Elite Their Champions, Our Elites Their Willing Tool:
In the year 2000, the government of Zamfara state under the leadership of Sani Yerima sponsored an executive bill to their house for the creation of Sharia system, a parallel system of government in Zamfara state. The President then Chief Olusegun Obasanjo refused to act to stop the madness, he said and I quite "sharia system will die natural death". It didn't take long for Kano State under Rabiu Kwankwaso, Sokoto state, Borno and other northern states to pass similar laws and introduced Sharia system.

Meanwhile the same Olusegun Obasanjo shut down the federal money vault of Lagos by denying Lagos state government her THREE YEARS Local government entitlement simply because then governor Bola Tinubu created additional 30 local councils in 2004. This Obasanjo did against the order of the Supreme Court.

Ironically, the same Ahmed Yerima that introduced Sharia at state level is in the Senate and his partner in crime that did same in Kano as Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso is also in the Senate. Both men are in the lead to expand the frontiers of Sharia beyond the north to the rest of the country. Their lackeys in the House of Representative are doing the needful in the Green Chamber. But like Obasanjo of then, the Vice President Osinbajo believe "there is nothing to fear".

Since my adult life, I have noticed that each time the Muslim North wants to push or oppose a policy, it is either a Christian and southern elite is used or the elites maintains undignified silence.

Nigerians may recall that at a period when Christians were agitating for the delisting of Nigeria from the Organisation of Islamic Countries, then President Obasanjo not only rejected it but personally represented Nigeria in OIC conference in 2001. His action gave legitimacy to Nigeria's membership of OIC even against the desire of the Southern and non Muslim population. In 2013, like Obasanjo, former President Goodluck Jonathan led another delegation to OIC conference in Egypt. No wonder President Muhammadu Buhari, acting without consultation, registered Nigeria as a member of Muslim Countries Against Terrorism.

I'm Not Anti-Muslim But...
I am not against the Muslim north and their Sharia, but if they must have it then our constitution must be reviewed to allow for true Federalist system or regional system. With this, they can have their privilege to practice whatever form of government while the non-Muslim regions and other federating units practice whatever suit them most. This is very fair in any clime. But the situation where they want to force sharia system on Nigeria (though they are having their way) is unjust, evil and must be resisted. Religion is personal, a religious system must never be imposed on any non believing group. To each his own.

I appeal to Nigerians of Non Muslim faith and the Southerners to rise up against this ongoing sharia bill and ensure that it is brought to standstill irrespective of the decision of our elite. If that will make Nigeria to burn then so be it. Enough is Enough!

May God Bless Us All And Bless Nigeria
Shared on Palmchat Community

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by sarrki(m): 12:03pm On Nov 07, 2016
Observing the situation critically

For clinical analysis
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Fedayeen02: 12:06pm On Nov 07, 2016
The elite speak the same language while their followes gight and destroy themselves.

I'm working to be an elite. I want to be immune to all these noise dailies. Call me names but that's the only ticket for Survival in Africa
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:09pm On Nov 07, 2016
Fedayeen02:
The elite speak the same language while their followes gight and destroy themselves.

I'm walking to be an elite. I want to be immune to all these noise dailies. Call me names but that's the only ticket for Survival in Africa
With this mentality, trust me you won't even go far or last because we shall continue to enlighten the oppressed masses

1 Like

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Fedayeen02: 12:14pm On Nov 07, 2016
There is a Renaissance of islam in today's world and the liberal nature of Christianity will allow it to get a strong and unopposed foothold.

In the next 50years Germany will have Muslim Chancellor.

Soon Nigeria will have a Muslim/Muslim President and VP

Muslim will soon gain a foothold in SE and SS through political correctness.

Its not the end time rather Christianity is on the wane because most of the practitioners are liberals and care about living in tune with world of today than what is in the bible.

The biggest atheist on this forum is Seun but do you know the funny thing, most of the atheists concentrate their attack on Christianity because the void there is getting larger.

6 Likes

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by MrDavidson: 12:19pm On Nov 07, 2016
It's very unfortunate that there's nothing one can point to as a national Christian institution but the Muslims keep expanding their foray everyday. From inserting sharia into the Constitution to currently occupying the three "arms" of the judiciary and the three arms of government - they're teaching the Christians how (not) to play politics. What is good for the goose is good for the gander, they say. Let's also create an ecclesiastical court for the Christians for a balance.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Fedayeen02: 12:21pm On Nov 07, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
With this mentality, trust me you won't even go far or last because we shall continue to enlighten the oppressed masses
Now you are not telling yourself the truth, the masses are being raped by the elites and forced to do their bidding. How long can i hold on and fight with the oppressed to defeat the oppressor when my comrades are so happy to be suppressed.

I want to be the driver now and no longer the passenger
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Fedayeen02: 12:25pm On Nov 07, 2016
MrDavidson:
It's very unfortunate that there's nothing one can point to as a national Christian institution but the Muslims keep expanding their foray everyday. From inserting sharia into the Constitution to currently occupying the three "arms" of the judiciary and the three arms of government - they're teaching the Christians how (not) to play politics. What is good for the goose is good for the gander, they say. Let's also create an ecclesiastical court for the Christians for a balance.
The Church is divided along ethnic and doctrinal belief. The only time they speak with one voice is when their members are murdered then they go silent and continue their capitalist tendency

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:25pm On Nov 07, 2016
Fedayeen02:
Now you are not telling yourself the truth, the masses are being raped by the elites and forced to do their bidding. How long can i hold on and fight with the oppressed to defeat the oppressor when my comrades are so happy to be suppressed.

I want to be the driver now and no longer the passenger
The verdict of posterity should be your motivator. Our elite class though hailed by some ignorant masses shall be dumped in the dust bin of history when the eyes of the masses are finally opened.

It is a tough position but standing with the masses pays.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by engineerboat(m): 12:26pm On Nov 07, 2016
It is quite unfortunate today that southern elite are busy fighting each other claiming superiority while the northern elite keep promoting their course.

3 Likes

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:28pm On Nov 07, 2016
MrDavidson:
Honestly, I'm not interested in having a Christian State either though I am a Christian. I believe religious belief should be the prerogative of individuals and not imposed on any group...

Christian leaders are as crooked as the political elite(if not worse). Most of them are willing tools that blow hot air during the day only to be invited to Presidential palace for "settlement" at night.

The masses must wake up

2 Likes

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by neocortex: 12:29pm On Nov 07, 2016
I think the problem is that the southern senators are ignorant
and myopic and they don't understand why they were voted.
You only find them agitating only when money is involved.

2 Likes

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Fedayeen02: 12:33pm On Nov 07, 2016
Chritianity has lost that fear factor. Any religion that doesn't have that fear factor will wane in no time.

Traditionalist fear the wrath of yhe gods so much that they are scared of desecrating it.

Muslims fear saying or doing anything contrary to the koran because they know that their fellow muslims will mete out instant punishment on them if they dare to do such. Call them fanatics but its working.

Christians have made a mess of the bible because there is no instant punishment for it. Secularism has invaded the fabrics of it that a Pastor can invite a Muslim Saheed Osupa to play music on the pulpit because we want to catch fun.

The Greatest LIE today is Christian and Muslims Serve the Same God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by nigeriafilm(m): 12:34pm On Nov 07, 2016
Tired of complains in this part of the world. It doesn't work. The only eloquent language in Nigeria is action. I told someone yesterday that if it were the Hausas that had sought for independence the way the Igbo did in the case of Biafra, they would have gotten it for long. Whatever thing you believe, get yourselves united for it, believe it with your life and attack it in unison, sure, the result wil suprise you.
This is their secret, they believe in their course fervently and act upon it rigorously.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:34pm On Nov 07, 2016
neocortex:
I think the problem is that the southern senators are ignorant
and myopic and they don't understand why they were voted.
You only find them agitating only when money is involved.
Not just legislators but other elitist citizens . They see everything as business and they are only interested in making "profits".

Sadly, the masses are hailing hailers that don't know what they want

1 Like

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Pieromania: 12:35pm On Nov 07, 2016
the southerners that are silent about the issue know and understand the content of the costitution,the bill is not worth delibrating by the southern elites cos it can not supercede the 1999 constitution cos it is only applicable to muslims of which south is predominantly christians.
No qualms bro,sharia is the fucking business of the northern rural areas not even effective in their major cities of the north not to talk of south.
Ignoring them is the best thing

1 Like

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Olabestonic001(m): 12:36pm On Nov 07, 2016
Fedayeen02:
There is a Renaissance of islam in today's world and the liberal nature of Christianity will allow it to get a strong and unopposed foothold.

In the next 50years Germany will have Muslim Chancellor.

Soon Nigeria will have a Muslim/Muslim President and VP

Muslim will soon gain a foothold in SE and SS through political correctness.

Its not the end time rather Christianity is on the wane because most of the practitioners are liberals and care about living in tune with world of today than what is in the bible.

The biggest atheist on this forum is Seun but do you know the funny thing, most of the atheists concentrate their attack on Christianity because the void there is getting larger.

You've just addressed the heart of the matter.
So-called Christians have no principles but just conform. If you try to set the tone for principles, they'd shout you down that you have no knowledge of 'Grace'. Principles holds life. The liberalism of so-called Christians will soon push the whole Christian community to a wall. They thought mere letting the situation be would really help the world.
I was once a muslim. Muslims in this generation have more semblance of true fellow than all these liberal Christians.

2 Likes

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by engineerboat(m): 12:38pm On Nov 07, 2016
Pieromania:
the southerners that are silent about the issue know and understand the content of the costitution,the bill is not worth delibrating by the southern elites cos it can not supercede the 1999 constitution cos it is only applicable to muslims of which south is predominantly christians.
No qualms bro,sharia is the fucking business of the northern rural areas not even effective in their major cities of the north not to talk of south.

That's not true because once it's passed it become binding and moreso Christians are in the northern state

1 Like

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by MrDavidson: 12:39pm On Nov 07, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Honestly, I'm not interested in having a Christian State either though I am a Christian. I believe religious belief should be the prerogative of individuals and not imposed on any group...

Christian leaders are as crooked as the political elite(if not worse). Most of them are willing tools that blow hot air during the day only to be invited to Presidential palace for "settlement" at night.

The masses must wake up

The masses must wake up - good. But "the masses" are not the ones in the position of authority. We can only do very little. Was it the masses that got Nigeria independence? No. Even where a revolution occurs through the instrumentality of the masses, there'll still need to be a popular leader who would not be of the masses. The voice of the masses sometimes are only heard after they've been amplified by people of like minds who are highly placed.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Fedayeen02: 12:40pm On Nov 07, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
The verdict of posterity should be your motivator. Our elite class though hailed by some ignorant masses shall be dumped in the dust bin of history when the eyes of the masses are finally opened.

It is a tough position but standing with the masses pays.
The masses are not yet so blind to slaving to our elites that's why I'm taking the high road before the shiit hits the roof.

I don't need a prophet to tell me that in no distant time the masses will be blind so i better make hay while the sun sets.

Tonye try to be a realist, it's a lost cause daily. Nigeria can never be like Europe. The elite will continue to deny Education to the masses to keep them in check. You may have your Voice as a literate person but the illiterates have the Votes because of the numbers

1 Like

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Fedayeen02: 12:41pm On Nov 07, 2016
Olabestonic001:

You've just addressed the heart of the matter.
So-called Christians have no principles but just conform. If you try to set the tone for principles, they'd shout you down that you have no knowledge of 'Grace'. Principles holds life. The liberalism of so-called Christians will soon push the whole Christian community to a wall. They thought mere letting the situation be would really help the world.
I was once a muslim. Muslims in this generation have more semblance of true fellow than all these liberal Christians.
You ve said it all.
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:43pm On Nov 07, 2016
Pieromania:
Wrong!

Once it becomes federal law, the government and the police may/will decide to ENFORCE it irrespective of the provisions of the constitution just as it is done in the Northern States.

And for your information, the bill is not just an act of Parliament but also a move to Abolish some sections of the constitution.

Stop behaving like Obasanjo, this bill must be stopped
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:45pm On Nov 07, 2016
MrDavidson:

The masses must wake up - good. But "the masses" are not the ones in the position of authority. We can only do very little. Was it the masses that got Nigeria independence? No. Even where a revolution occurs through the instrumentality of the masses, there'll still need to be a popular leader who would not be of the masses. The voice of the masses sometimes are only heard after they've been amplified by people of like minds who are highly placed.
You are 100% correct, a more reason we have to stand for the masses go phase out the worthless and useless elites that we have at present.
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 07, 2016
You Barcanista will do worse if Given a chance in power..I have seen how unstable you are with your One Nigeria Chant..

You think That fight for total freedom is something you go off and On like a torch light...
You only talk with reason when matters are pressed too hard but you can't forecast, you always come late when the food is already served..
The North will keep dominating the south with your type an activist always barking like a Dog.

2 Likes

Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 07, 2016
Is the Senate not the same Senate that wasted no time in rejecting the proposal of Lagos state for 1% VAT to be accrued to the state even when she is the undisputed number one contributor to the said VAT?

You supported the senate decision in rejecting the special status for Lagos. I'm surprised you are making reference to it here!
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by Fedayeen02: 12:49pm On Nov 07, 2016
MrDavidson:

We are at our own mercies. If i start a petition to recall my representative for keeping quiet while Sharia bill was debated on the floor it will be my fellow christians who will attack me for being a fanatic or not religious tolerant.

What i know is that i ll always find a way to protect myself and my loved ones from the Muslinami that's like a tsunami driving down south.
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by engineerboat(m): 12:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
EMMAUGOH:
You Barcanista will do worse if Given a chance in power..I have seen how unstable you are with your One Nigeria Chant..

You think That fight for total freedom is something you go off and On like a torch light...
You only talk with reason when matters are pressed too hard but you can't forecast, you always come late when the food is already served..
The North will keep dominating the south with your type an activist always barking like a Dog.

Is this submition part of the sharia law
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by EazyMoh(m): 12:57pm On Nov 07, 2016
Do you know that there are Sharia Courts all over the United Kingdom?
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:57pm On Nov 07, 2016
Bluetooth2:

You supported the senate decision in rejecting the special status for Lagos. I'm surprised you are making reference to it here!
Of course I am, just as you are against RESOURCE CONTROL and Increased derivation for Niger Delta.

However, I'm against the NEDC and Sharia. The part you quoted was in a context to shame southern legislators.
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:03pm On Nov 07, 2016
EMMAUGOH:

Oh not again. This is Sharia issue not Bia....
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:04pm On Nov 07, 2016
EazyMoh:
Do you know that there are Sharia Courts all over the United Kingdom?
And?
Re: Sharia Expansion Bill And The Indictment Of Southern/Christian Elites by gameboyo: 1:05pm On Nov 07, 2016
We are in a deep poo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bigger Troubles Await Dino Melaye - Saharareporters / Photos -chief Of Army Staff Visit Gov-obiano At His Home Town / All North National Security Council Meeting For Nigerians Under Buhari -photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.