Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,698 members, 7,882,368 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 11:33 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (645217 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (306) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 1:05am On Mar 26, 2010
Emeritus153:

Helo, my problem is that i have been having this yellow colour urine for the past 9 years. I have been to the hospital times without number with no improvement. Now my current problem is that if i sleep for little time and wake up, i wil be very weak and wil nt be able to raise my hands and my legs. If i relax for a while then i will be able to stand but feel all over my body. Pls what is the matter with me   

About your urine problem, 9 years is a long time and that might suggest that there is nothing to worry about.

Normal urine color varies from clear to yellow depending on how much water you drink. However, there may be diseases that can increase the yellow color of your urine e.g gall bladder/ liver disease, infections (not likely for 9 yrs)

The key to knowing the exact cause will be in doing a urine analysis. the lab test involves collecting a urine sample and analyzing the contents. Abnormal components will be detected and will give a clue to the disease that may be responsible.

You should take note that the body removes waste materials through the urine, so if you have been taking any drugs e.g multivitamins, it might change the color of your urine.

Try and get a urinalysis done if you have not done that already and drink a lot of water.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 1:14am On Mar 26, 2010
nowal:

Hi Dr.

We have been married for 2 years now and we have been trying all medical solutions without making headway. My wife ovulation cycle had always been 27/28 days until January when she didnt see her menstruation until after 32 days. We even thought she was pregnant but lost it. When we got to the Dr. all he asked was whether she stressed herself to which we answer -ve. now by yesterday after 33 days again, she saw her period and we are deeply worry about this.
Can ovulation be a 32/33 days cycle?
Can there be change in the no of days/cycle & what is the health implication/cause of it?
What do we suggest we do?

Will appreciate your response as well as that of those who had experienced this situation and come out of it.

I am guessing you have been visiting a fertility clinic and the cause of the infertility has been investigated. The only way to treat a problem is by knowing what the problem is.

About the menstrual cycle, a normal cycle lasts between 21 to 35 days. However, the sudden change in length that she noticed for the last 2 months may be due to hormonal changes. Has she been using any hormonal drugs lately?

You should consider a gynecological consultation.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Emeritus153: 9:38am On Mar 26, 2010
@ziga, thanks for that enlightenment but what can i use for my weak bone. Anytime i sleep and wake up, i alway feel tired even now
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 8:11pm On Mar 27, 2010
Emeritus153:

@ziga, thanks for that enlightenment but what can i use for my weak bone. Anytime i sleep and wake up, i alway feel tired even now

Feeling tired after waking from sleep might indicate that you either do not get enough hours of sleep every night or you do not get good quality sleep.

Most adults need at least 6 - 8 hours of sleep per night, and note that you get better quality sleep if you sleep earlier. So, go to bed the first instant you start to feel sleepy. Keep loud sounds and bright light away from your bedroom. (avoid the tv or computers around bedtime)

You can google sleep hygiene and am sure you will find lots of information there.

Another issue you should consider is obstructive sleep apnea. This is obstruction of the airways during sleep and snoring. This will result in repeated disruptions in your normal sleep. most people who have this may be unaware of it and the only symptom they have is waking up feeling tired.

Are you overweight?
Do you snore loudly?
Do you drink alcohol at night?
Does your wife/girlfriend/family tell you you sound like you are choking when you sleep?

A sleep study would be an ideal investigation for you to take, but unfortunately, i don't think it is done in Nigeria.

So, what you can do is to keep a sleep diary for 1 week. Record the time you go to bed, times you wake up during the night and time you get up in the morning. This will tell you if you are actually getting enough rest during the night.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Mordayz(m): 7:17pm On Mar 28, 2010
Hi Dr. Pls what advice do you give a lady that wants to reduced the size of her breast. what wil she do?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by 1stknight(m): 7:35pm On Mar 28, 2010
Doc plz,
1. i'm addictd 2 playin game on my laptop@ midnight, somtyms i sleep arnd 3am and i'll wake arnd 8am, nd wenever i'm slepin btw diz period i feel lyk som1 iz tryin 2 choke me, nawadays if i go 2 bed arnd 9pm, i'll not be able 2 sleep till arnd 2:30am, plz cn u tel hw 2 achieve early sleep

2. Plz i'm avin a catarrh, i've tried procold bt it's stil dere plz recomend a drug 4 me
Thankz
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by pesco4u: 11:13am On Mar 31, 2010
My dear doctor Balogun: after going thro you advice i am imprest of ur advice. thank and keep it on. My problem is exessive sweet. i means i sweet too much and external heat even when am inside A.C. or fan i sweet on my fore head and all over my face and body. u can reply me thru my email pesco4peace@yahoo.com
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 10:20pm On Mar 31, 2010
Mordayz:

Hi Dr. Pls what advice do you give a lady that wants to reduced the size of her bosom. what wil she do?

The only method i know of is surgical reduction.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 10:28pm On Mar 31, 2010
1stknight:

Doc plz,
1. i'm addictd 2 playin game on my laptop@ midnight, somtyms i sleep arnd 3am and i'll wake arnd 8am, nd wenever i'm slepin btw diz period i feel lyk som1 iz tryin 2 choke me, nawadays if i go 2 bed arnd 9pm, i'll not be able 2 sleep till arnd 2:30am, plz cn u tel hw 2 achieve early sleep

2. Plz i'm avin a catarrh, i've tried procold bt it's stil dere plz recomend a drug 4 me
Thankz

I hope your catarrh has improved by now. Normally, viral infections take about a week to resolve even without treatment. Sometimes, they may take longer. Procold will give you symptomatic relief. So, in case of another infection, you can take vitamins to improve your immunity, drink lots of water to prevent dehydration, analgesics for relief of headaches/fever, any nasal decongestant and of course adequate rest to allow the bod time to heal itself.

About your sleep, i'm sure you know that playing video games, together with the light from your monitor/tv screen will send signals to your brain to keep your body alert. This will definitely affect your sleep at night. So, stay off video games, especially at night.

Read more about sleep hygeine. http://www.umm.edu/sleep/sleep_hyg.htm

Some of the rules are hard to follow, but weall realize that most good things don't come without a sacrifice.

Goodluck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by pesco4u: 10:03am On Apr 01, 2010
Dr. after going thro you advice i am imprest of your advice. thank and keep it on. My problem is exessive sweet. i means i sweet too much and external heat even when am inside A.C. or fan i sweet on my fore head and all over my face and body. u can reply me thru my email pesco4peace@yahoo.com
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Success02(m): 12:10am On Apr 04, 2010
Hi doctor in the house, I want to increase my weight. I spend so much on food but it does not really show on me. Despite the fact that I come from rich home, I don't look good except for my brothers that look healthy. Kindly tell me what to do or link me up with a nutritionist
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by unikazzy(m): 11:05am On Apr 05, 2010
pls Dr. i dont last more than 3mins on my girl b4 i ejaculate & i'm shy 2 face a doctor. pls i need ur prescription pls
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 10:38pm On Apr 06, 2010
pesco4u:

Dr. after going thro you advice i am imprest of your advice. thank and keep it on. My problem is exessive sweet. i means i sweet too much and external heat even when am inside A.C. or fan i sweet on my fore head and all over my face and body. u can reply me thru my email pesco4peace@yahoo.com

Increased sweating may be a sign of increased sympathetic discharge. (sympathetics are the portion of the nervous system that control sweat glands)

This condition of increased sympathetic discharge may be associated with thyroid diseases, Neuropsychiatric disease e.g Panic attacks, Generalized anxiety disease. It may also be associated with disorders of the adrenal gland.

Increased sweating may also be due to the body's in-built mechanism for controlling a high body temperature (fever). So if you have been having a fever, you may have increased sweating.

Most people will know when they have a high fever. However, a low grade fever can be easily missed. Some causes of a low grade fever include Tuberculosis, Lymphoma, Parasitic infestations(worms)

Increased sweating could also be familial. People inherit different genes from their parents and you will notice that some people sweat a lot more than others.

You can see that we have many potential causes for increased sweating, so for you to be properly evaluated, you will need to visit a doctor who will be able to ask you more questions about your other symptoms (if any). This will guide him in deciding on what laboratory tests are relevant in order to find out the cause of your excess sweating.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 10:49pm On Apr 06, 2010
Success02:

Hi doctor in the house, I want to increase my weight. I spend so much on food but it does not really show on me. Despite the fact that I come from rich home, I don't look good except for my brothers that look healthy. Kindly tell me what to do or link me up with a nutritionist

I'm sorry, but i will not be able to link you up with a nutritionist. I am sure you will be able to find some nutritionists in the Big private/public hospitals in Lagos.

Your perception of being underweight may be influenced by the society. For instance, in Nigeria, a lot of people who are regarded as looking good are actually overweight.

A good assessment of your weigght will be by calculating your Body mass index. I have included a link to a BMI calculator here. http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Factors that can affect your body weight are most commonly your genes. Also, your weight may be influenced by your diet, and sometimes metabolic diseases like Hyperthyroidsm.

The most likely factor, however, will be your genes. Therefore, if there are no diseases preventing your normal gain in weight, you can eat larger servings more frequently. If you don't get a nutritionist, you may search for body building diets online for free.

Be careful of taking prescription medicine without a doctor's advice because some of these drugs have harmful side effects. (even though they can be easily acquired in Naija)
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nnemak(m): 11:49am On Apr 07, 2010
Doc, kindly interpret the result below

SFA CULTURE RESULT
Culture yielded mix growth of streptococcus Spp ant staphylococcus Spp:
Sensitivity:
Ciprofloxacin
Streptomycin
Erythromycin
Cerofloxacin
Chloramphenicol

Resistant to:

Gentamycin
Ampiclox
Norbactin
Amoxyl
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lannre(m): 4:10pm On Apr 07, 2010
Please I need an advice on my symptoms, I always get weak easily, and sometime I nausea feeling vomiting little of what I have eating. I have done urinalysis test and the Dr. said its OK, he talk about the sugary content that its above normal. That is on the second test I don't know the name of that, but blood was taking to verify that. He actually prescribed some drugs, ketrax, and some antibiotics. I feel better during and after taking the drugs. But just two weeks after I am having same feeling of weakness and vomiting. Let me explain too that I was always prescribed malaria drugs for long when I complained to Dr,'s but inside me I dont think its Malaria. I feel weak and forgetful sometimes, fighting back to remember things, some of my fingers bone has little (sweet ) pain too. but the weakness is getting unbearable. with the vommitting of little of what I eat, and feeling nausea after eating. I don't know if that's the English word , but in Yoruba language its called "aya rinrin". I will appreciate your response and support. thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by davinchi(m): 6:31pm On Apr 08, 2010
Hi doc,
Ever since the news of my younger sister's death was broken to me,everything about me has changed.For one week now i have been completely off-food,surviving only on fluid eg juice,the smell of food makes me want to throw up,i wake up every twenty minutes at night etc.Infact,i have lost so much weight and lack energy(gets tired easily).Though,she has been buried.
Doc,my major problem is the insomnia and complete lack of appetite for food.How do i handle this situation cos i dont want to depend on sleeping pills.
Thanks a million in anticipation
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by keeptrying: 12:19am On Apr 10, 2010
Dear doctor,I live in the states but what suprise me is that all doctors here do not believe my symptom exist,one doctor actually refer me to a psychriatics.I have this symtom of intense icthing all over the body and worm like movement.before living home the doctor there said it was staph but they did not believe here.I ask them to give me a diagnosis they could not.my doctor gave me benadry for the icting and disregard the worm like movement.This situation is driving me cracy.I am even planing going back home to see a doctor.What did you think?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by jaaadddeee: 1:20pm On Apr 10, 2010
Dr in the house you doing a good job.God bless you.please wat could cause intestinal bleeding,although treatment is already prescribed. but it occur occassionally and the doctor place a choice of food as a result of ulser detection.also stool test was carried out and the result was heavy growth of E coli is the cause.but the advice is is there no permanent cure to prevent from occuring again and to go back to the choice of food.or is there any need to go to LUTH for proper general test.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by whassup: 5:49pm On Apr 10, 2010
doctors in the house i want to know your opinion to microdermabrasion used for strech marks and do u think it is effective  to cure strechmark.thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nenyechi(f): 6:49pm On Apr 10, 2010
Hi doc,u r really doin a gud job here.jst keep it up.my problem is dat i av been havin hot feelin inside my body.it usually start 4rm my right lower side n spreads 2 d stomach n 2 d back.i av been 2 hospitals n av done some tests but d Dr said they cant find anything wrong wit me.pls what do u think this might?i sleep n wake up wit dis hotness inside.it does not stop.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Barclay1: 9:41am On Apr 12, 2010
I appreciate Dr in the house for doing wonderful job, I just liked your thought to help people,
May God bless you,
Good luck,
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 4:07am On Apr 13, 2010
nne_mak:

Doc, kindly interpret the result below

SFA CULTURE RESULT
Culture yielded mix growth of streptococcus Spp ant staphylococcus Spp:
Sensitivity:
Ciprofloxacin
Streptomycin
Erythromycin
Cerofloxacin
Chloramphenicol

Resistant to:

Gentamycin
Ampiclox
Norbactin
Amoxyl

It is possible that the bacterial growth was from contamination of the seminal fluid sample by organisms on the skin surface during collection. The reason for this line of thought is because these organisms do not usually cause infections of the male reproductive tract.

However, if you have symptoms of any genital tract disease, treatment with the appropriate antibiotics will be a good idea.

You did not say, but i guess you had the test done for the evaluation of male infertility. If that is the case, the results of your sperm count, sperm motility, sperm morphology, seminal fluid fructose content will probably be more important than the culture result in finding the cause of your condition.

Hope that helped.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by feelme3(m): 4:14am On Apr 13, 2010
Hello Doc,
Thanks for the great work you are doing here. Pls we are considering prostate surgery for my dad. Kindly help me with how long the post surgery recovery lasts and the average costs for the procedure and possibly a recommendation for good but reasonably priced hospitals in Lagos that you may know that specializes in the procedure. Thank you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 4:25am On Apr 13, 2010
davinchi:

Hi doc,
Ever since the news of my younger sister's death was broken to me,everything about me has changed.For one week now i have been completely off-food,surviving only on fluid eg juice,the smell of food makes me want to throw up,i wake up every twenty minutes at night etc.Infact,i have lost so much weight and lack energy(gets tired easily).Though,she has been buried.
Doc,my major problem is the insomnia and complete lack of appetite for food.How do i handle this situation cos i dont want to depend on sleeping pills.
Thanks a million in anticipation

First of all, I am sorry for your loss.

Your symptoms are the normal grief reaction that should happen to anybody who loses a person who was dear to them.

Feel free to talk about how you have been feeling with friends and family. You need their support. Especially at a time like this, just as much as they will need yours.

You may also get additional professional counselling services from a psychologist. They are available in the bigger hospitals in Lagos.

You shouldn't be afraid to take drugs to relieve some of your symptoms. Sleeping pills/tranquillizers will work well for you, and the risk of addiction is low when they are only taken for a short period at the right doses. You can get a prescription from a doctor.

May God give you strength to get over these hard times.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 4:38am On Apr 13, 2010
keeptrying:

Dear doctor,I live in the states but what suprise me is that all doctors here do not believe my symptom exist,one doctor actually refer me to a psychriatics.I have this symtom of intense icthing all over the body and worm like movement.before living home the doctor there said it was staph but they did not believe here.I ask them to give me a diagnosis they could not.my doctor gave me benadry for the icting and disregard the worm like movement.This situation is driving me cracy.I am even planing going back home to see a doctor.What did you think?

I'm sorry to say, but the myth of staphylococcus aureus as a cause of almost all symptoms was created in Nigeria to put money in the pockets of some people.

So, just like the doctors you've seen in the states, i don't think staph aureus is responsible for the worm like movement you have been feeling.

I am guessing you have tried some antibiotics, so if it was truly staph aureus, you would have been cured.

So, i think we should try another approach, rather than repeating treatments that have failed you in the past.

And my suggestion is that you try a psychiatrist, just like the other doctor said. Your symptoms sound like somatization disorder, and psychiatrists are very good at treating it. Note that that seeing a psychiatrist doesn't mean you have a psychotic illness.

Feel free to google "somatization disorder" for more information.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nnemak(m): 7:30am On Apr 13, 2010
Ziga,
thanks .
your reply was perfect, and really helped.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by feelme3(m): 2:02am On Apr 14, 2010
Hi Ziga,
Pls I askd the quest about prostate surgery above, Pls I will appreciate your response. thanks,
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 5:03am On Apr 14, 2010
jaaadddeee:

Dr in the house you doing a good job.God bless you.please wat could cause intestinal bleeding,although treatment is already prescribed. but it occur occassionally and the doctor place a choice of food as a result of ulser detection.also stool test was carried out and the result was heavy growth of E coli is the cause.but the advice is is there no permanent cure to prevent from occuring again and to go back to the choice of food.or is there any need to go to LUTH for proper general test.

The only way i can give you any good advice is if we know the cause of your intestinal bleeding.

Intestinal bleeding is very vague terminology, and there can be a multitude of causes, each with its own set of symptoms depending on the portion of the GI tract producing the bleeding.

So, you haven't given me much information to work with.

I have posted a link with some information about intestinal bleeding. http://www.gi.org/patients/gibleeding/index.asp
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 5:09am On Apr 14, 2010
whass up:

doctors in the house i want to know your opinion to microdermabrasion used for strech marks and do u think it is effective  to cure strechmark.thanks

Microdermabrasion will only remove the top layers of skin whereas stretch marks involves much deeper layers of the skin.

Therefore microdermabrasion will definitely NOT be an effective way of removing stretch marks.

However, since the procedure involves the removal of the surface layers of skin, it might be able to make some skin lesions less prominent. So, don't expect any dramatic improvements.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ziga: 5:14am On Apr 14, 2010
Nenyechi:

Hi doc,u r really doin a gud job here.jst keep it up.my problem is dat i av been havin hot feelin inside my body.it usually start 4rm my right lower side n spreads 2 d stomach n 2 d back.i av been 2 hospitals n av done some tests but d Dr said they cant find anything wrong wit me.pls what do u think this might?i sleep n wake up wit dis hotness inside.it does not stop.

I need to understand more about the hotness you are talking about. Does your body actually get hot? Have you been having a fever (measured with a thermometer) Or it is only a feeling?

Are you having any other symptoms. e.g. pain, difficulty with sleeping, other sensations in your body?

The answer to these questions will give me a better understanding of your condition.

Also, what tests have you already done in the hospitals you visited. This will help us know what has already been excluded from the possible list of causes for your symptoms.

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (306) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.