Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,028 members, 7,939,143 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 07:10 PM

When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? (31687 Views)

Most Dangerous Places To Live In London Online Poll,Peckham No 1 / Coming To South East London(peckham)help Needed / Little Lagos In South London( Peckham) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by r231(m): 8:24pm On Nov 12, 2009
denzel2009:

@blackspade

You see calling someone semi-illiterate is not even correct English, Look it up, as far as I'm concerned you are jobless walking aimlessly around a market street with a camera phone.

Who else do you expect to see where they sell Nigerian foodstuffs? Monks?

Without peckham Rye lane, I dont know how we Nigerians are going to survive except to be eating that rubbish chicken and chips they sell everywhere.

God bless Peckham jare.

abi o ma broda. where else can i get fresh EWE to make moi-moi  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by redsky1: 8:26pm On Nov 12, 2009
wait hold on - does it mean u guys don't eat any other type of food apart from naija food - na wah o, what is the point in living in such cosmopolitan city and only experience Nigerian food.

there is so much out there that tastes sooooooooooooooooooooooo good.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 8:27pm On Nov 12, 2009
omar22:

tell am Jare, people who live in face me I face you for Idumota now dey at as if they no dey shit

Wat
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 8:29pm On Nov 12, 2009
omar22:

@Blackspade in the 40's and 50's when British government invited the West Indies over to come and work due to lack of man power they made sure that every black person lived in south london, everywhere provided but it wont be at the same standard as those who live across the river but by the 60 and 70's the Africans joined the party, then if a black person move into a road, white people would start to move out one by one and since the Blacks and Asians like to live closely to their own people south london became a congregation of Afro Carribbean  people, the Asian started moving West London but by the end of the 80 black people started changing location, thet started moving into what it was supposed to be a racist area and though it out with the whites, by the end of the 90s blacks started moving out of London into Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex etc in large numbers but one thing i know is that Peckham is the place, you have indians shop owners who could speak yoruba, Liverpool street is all about Nigerian cloths,

blackspade:

Thanks for the explanation. It's shocking to learn that blacks were only in South London at one time.

That's not true at all. There were no restrictions where Blacks lived and there is no record of white people leaving their homes because a black person moved into a street. Stop spreading fallacies! In the 40s many Black people settled all over London and other cities like Birmingham, Nottingham and Manchester. One of the most popular areas that Blacks settled in in London was West London, Notting Hill Gate which is how Europe's biggest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival came to be based there.

Peckham only became a predominately 'Black' area in the 70s. Multiple Oscar winner Michael Caine is a Peckham native as is ex-prime minister John Major's wife, Norma and in case you ask, they are white people.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 8:29pm On Nov 12, 2009
redsky1:

wait hold on - does it mean u guys don't eat any other type of food apart from naija food - na wah o, what is the point in living in such cosmopolitan city and only experience Nigerian food.

there is so much out there that tastes sooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

I don't know, I'm sure he listening he can better answer that question. I don't get to eat Nigerian food all the time, at the same time I eat healthy food.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by omar22(m): 8:30pm On Nov 12, 2009
if someone is going to play big boy they need to understand that not all off us will keep quiet about it - or is it the one that told me her fathers house is on oxford street!!!!!!!!! so i shouldn't point out that this is highly unlikely.

Are you saying that Nigerians dont have a house on Oxford street?
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 8:33pm On Nov 12, 2009
omar22:

Any Nigerian or anyone for that matter that claims to have a house on Oxford Street is a GatDamm liar!!!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by redsky1: 8:33pm On Nov 12, 2009
omar22:

i don't know IF ANYONE lives on oxford street i thought it was just for shops. my bad if i'm wrong.

anyway don't even like oxford street. too many people
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by omar22(m): 8:40pm On Nov 12, 2009
That's not true at all. There were no restrictions where Blacks lived and there is no record of white people leaving their homes because a black person moved into a street. Stop spreading fallacies! In the 40s many Black people settled all over London and other cities like Birmingham, Nottingham and Manchester. One of the most popular areas that Blacks settled in in London was West London, Notting Hill Gate which is how Europe's biggest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival came to be based there.

Peckham only became a predominately 'Black' area in the 70s. Multiple Oscar winner Michael Caine is a Peckham native as is ex-prime minister John Major's wife, Norma and in case you ask, they are white people.

I didnt say they restricted them in south but systematically all blacks lived in the south of the river, and that doesnt mean whites dont live in the South but theirs a strong chance of them moving out as soon as possible, my ex girlfriends grand father (West Indies) mentioned that this to me and its no coincidence that in the 70 and 80s most or majority of the Afro caribbeans were living south of the river, the Nottinghill Carnival was created for the West Indies who came over in the 50s because they were feeling home sick.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 12, 2009
Has any one bought a house in Peckham recently? Its way higher than many other boroughs in the UK. The rental value in that area is brilliant, so while you are all posting insults at Peckam, people are making serious money in the area by investing in properties and other businesses.

Word!!!

Peckham as far as I'm concerned is great, lived there for 5yrs and loved it. Everything I needed was there (very handy). Would I live there now? Sure if it wasn't infested with gangs but gangs aren't just a Peckham menace. Got a flat there the value of which yet to be affected by the crunch. As someone said Nigerians don't like to be around other Nigerians and I wonder why
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 8:58pm On Nov 12, 2009
omar22:

I didnt say they restricted them in south but systematically all blacks lived in the south of the river, and that doesnt mean whites dont live in the South but theirs a strong chance of them moving out as soon as possible, my ex girlfriends grand father (West Indies) mentioned that this to me and its no coincidence that in the 70 and 80s most or majority of the Afro caribbeans were living south of the river, the Nottinghill Carnival was created for the West Indies who came over in the 50s because they were feeling home sick.

Your ex girlfriends grandfather lied. The West Indian Blacks settled more in the west of London more than they did in the South and the fact the Notting Hill carnival was dreamt up there is a testament to that. Anyway you contradict yourself. Why would the West Indians create a carnival in the west of London if they all lived in the South??
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by joxiri: 9:01pm On Nov 12, 2009
I dont know how true it is but my mum says most african and west indies people settled in south london balham clapham streatham and brixton, including them when they arrived
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 9:08pm On Nov 12, 2009
joxiri:

I dont know how true it is but my mum says most african and west indies people settled in south london balham clapham streatham and brixton, including them when they arrived

No doubt that the did settle there but West London was also a major Black settlement area too. I know plenty of Black people in their 60s who were born and raised in Notting Hill, West London. Also the the areas you mentioned are actually in South West(SW) London. Omar22 was trying to say that the government systematically made all the Blacks live in South London when that is an out and out lie!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by joxiri: 9:11pm On Nov 12, 2009
angiefan
southwest does fall under south london
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by chic2pimp(m): 9:11pm On Nov 12, 2009
You lot are cracking me up man grin grin
Y'all bashing peckham need to check out some of em' run down areas in france,germany & the U.S grin grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Vacora(m): 9:15pm On Nov 12, 2009
Please check the average houses/flats prices around Peckham Rye Park,Nunead, Dulwich, Forest Hill and Denmark Hill -. No be moi moi.  People who own or rent properties there are laughing all the way to the bank whilst some people here talk out of these arses. Peckham High Street is not the entire Peckham district.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by chic2pimp(m): 9:19pm On Nov 12, 2009
AngieFan:

No doubt that the did settle there but West London was also a major Black settlement area too. I know plenty of Black people in their 60s who were born and raised in Notting Hill, West London. Also the the areas you mentioned are actually in South West(SW) London. Omar22 was trying to say that the government systematically made all the Blacks live in South London when that is an out and out lie!
True that's a lie however many white home owners/landlords from other parts of london did not rent out accomodation to black peeps.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 9:22pm On Nov 12, 2009
joxiri:

angiefan
  southwest does fall under south london

It depends on how you look at it. Places like Earls Court, Chelsea, South Kensington and Brompton also fall under the SW umbrella but they are seen mostly as West London.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 9:27pm On Nov 12, 2009
chic2pimp:

True that's a lie however many white home owners/landlords from other parts of london did not rent out accomodation to black peeps.

They didn't but the Irish did. Apparently before the Blacks came to England the Irish were the ones that the English discriminated against and the Blacks took their place. The Irish and Blacks kind of formed a kind of unofficial against the English and kind of helped each other out.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Vacora(m): 9:28pm On Nov 12, 2009
I love the Irish, gave us Guinness Stout grin

1 Like

Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by cvibe: 9:31pm On Nov 12, 2009
Really!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by joxiri: 9:31pm On Nov 12, 2009
angiefan
yea but when you say south it is generally assumed you are talking abt the south east and south west and then being more precise is when you say south east or south west and earls courth chelsea and south kensington are not regarded as west london hammersmith might be west london but earls court and definetly chelsea are in the south west of london whch falls under the south london umbrella
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by omar22(m): 9:31pm On Nov 12, 2009
Some History Lesson

Post-war period  
1948  Britain's first group of post-war Caribbean immigrants come to London on the SS Empire Windrush.

Many of the 492 passengers settle in Brixton now a prominent black district.

1950s to 1960s  Mass migration of workers from all over the English-speaking Caribbean, particularly Jamaica.

They are "invited" to fill labour requirements in hospitals, transport and railways and contribute to rebuilding the post-war urban economy.

1962  Commonwealth Immigrants Act and a succession of laws in 1968, 1971, and 1981 severely restrict Black entry to Britain, and brings this period to an end.

Emergent Black and Asian struggle against race prejudice and intolerance.

1975  David Pitt brings a new popular voice to the House of Lords.  
1987  Black population, workers, and community activists aid election of four Black Members of Parliament.  
1991-97  Black Londoners numbered half a million people in the 1991 census, of which an increasing proportion were London- or British-born.

Despite modest socio-economic gains, discrimination remained a problem, even where skill deficiencies were being overcome.

Black Parliamentarians increase to six in 1992 and nine in 1997 elections.

"High-tech"and information revolution and a changing urban economy drive unemployment rates higher among Blacks and threatens to erode Black progress.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by r231(m): 9:35pm On Nov 12, 2009
joxiri:

hmmmm i guess you are right dats why i was born in BRIXTON
yea i was born in BRIXTON so what grin grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by chic2pimp(m): 9:40pm On Nov 12, 2009
AngieFan:

They didn't but the Irish did. Apparently before the Blacks came to England the Irish were the ones that the English discriminated against and the Blacks took their place. The Irish and Blacks kind of formed a kind of unofficial against the English and kind of helped each other out.
Nah they refused to rent out accomodations to black peeps as well. They were signs oustide many peeps houses which read 'No Irish,No Blacks, No Dogs'. If you attend an Afro Carribean Community meeting, you will hear tales from many ol' peeps who can vivdly recall their experiences in 50's Britain.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 9:47pm On Nov 12, 2009
joxiri:

angiefan
yea but when you say south it is generally assumed you are talking abt the south east and south west and then being more precise is when you say south east or south west and earls courth chelsea and south kensington are not regarded as west london hammersmith might be west london but earls court and definetly chelsea are in the south west of london whch falls under the south london umbrella

Nope! Places like Earls Court, South Kensington, Victoria, Fulham Broadway Sloane Square, Kings Road, Chelsea although tagged with a SW London postcode are more West than South and many Londoners consider that to be the case. As I said, it depends on the way one looks at it.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by bandore(m): 9:51pm On Nov 12, 2009
@poster , very useless topic, You made a video of peckham market ,, and did you also make any video of the residential areas in the seemingly dirty peckham? Did you know that asians top the list of people in peckham?And for God's sake its a market!We get fish, meat,crab,snails and you name it fresh from peckham. without peckham london would be pointless. Granted it isnt the best of sites., what is your business about whether its infested with Nigerians.
I think your stupidity overshadowed your common sense and your topic should have been :'why do many Nigerians leave their motherland where the roads are bad,no water,no job, no good health service , no security while our leaders gulp billions of naira.?'
well I am sure you know the answer to that!
I used to leave in south east and come buy food stuff 5 years ago. Funnily I now leave in Hammersmith and still drive miles to come buy my efo,egusi,snail,etc , and that is why i look as fresh and sexy more than you!
is it not high time Nigerians take charge of even the whole of u.k? Did you know the whites used your great great grand father in their plantations and there is another modern slavery going on.The market area in peckham is as it is.market!
Who even know whether you made it from selling garri from one of those shops!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by AngieFan(f): 9:52pm On Nov 12, 2009
I am not sure which of my post you are disagreeing with. A poster mentioned that the English landlords refused to rent to Blacks and I agreed. However there were Irish Landlords and Land Ladies who did rent to the Blacks because they knew what it was like when the English discriminated against them. The sign you posted 'No Irish, No dogs' was a common place before the Blacks came. The 'No Blacks' part was added after.

chic2pimp:

Nah they refused to rent out accomodations to black peeps as well. They were signs oustide many peeps houses which read 'No Irish,No Blacks, No Dogs'. If you attend an Afro Carribean Community meeting, you will hear tales from many ol' peeps who can vivdly recall their experiences in 50's Britain.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by SapeleGuy: 10:07pm On Nov 12, 2009
If people are not living in chelsea, knightsbridge, dulwich village, wimbledon village, belgravia, maida vale etc then make them let us hear word.

See my people and self hatred.
The irony and truth of the matter is that most of the people criticising can't afford to buy a house in Peckham.

Check out the prices.

http://www.woosterstock.co.uk/Property.php?branch=Any&t=Any&minp=0&maxp=999999999&beds=0&kw=se15&o=Price&s=All
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Vacora(m): 10:14pm On Nov 12, 2009
@ Sapele Guy
Thank you for the link with house prices in Peckham. Besides the OP lives in Los Angeles, i can point him in the direction of Compton, Watts etc.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by Tsiya(m): 10:19pm On Nov 12, 2009
What I do know is that Nigerians, some Nigerians, look down on each other. What is the big deal in living in Peckam? What make Peckham a squalor? Whatever that mean. Is it because there are black people. I stayed in Bath and now in Glasgow, but I will always prefer Peckham. I don't speak yoruba or igbo but the mere sound of people shouting 'bawoni' brings life into me.

I don't know why we dont even like our own people.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by follypimpi(m): 10:21pm On Nov 12, 2009
Me am going to Peckham on Saturday sef to chillax,thats my home away from home,used to live by the Library,so Pecknam anyday anytime.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Black Box Of Ethiopian Crashed Plane Found / Inquire On Best Way To Relocate My Family To Ireland / What Does SUKUK Mean? (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.