Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,776 members, 7,915,173 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 05:40 PM

North Cyprus - Travel (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / North Cyprus (784494 Views)

Reasons Not To Go To North Cyprus To Study And Work. / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) / About To Fly To North Cyprus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (356) (Go Down)

Re: North Cyprus by yemmy27: 5:37pm On Aug 02, 2011
@iz2much
You are saying what is not real about me.That is nothing but defamation.I dont have nothing to say than to tell you that whereever u have been going and people have been accepting you with joy,Mark todays date ,as from today hence forth you will be hated.They will never want to have anything to do with u.Have i ever defrauded you or any member of your family?Have i ever defrauded anyone here?You are a young small boy who knows nothing about Life and i dont blame you.If you know what life entails you wouldnt have judged me that way, I will not say anything on here again.someone like u lives illegally in TRNC ,you not schooling ,you dont have a permit,You just moving up and down to get your daily bread, What i have said will surely come to past until you realised your mistake and ask for forgiveness from God.
Re: North Cyprus by iz2much: 7:52pm On Aug 02, 2011
yemmy27:

@iz2much
                You are saying what is not real about me.That is nothing but defamation.I dont have nothing to say than to tell you that whereever u have been going and people have been accepting you with joy,Mark todays date ,as from today hence forth you will be hated.They will never want to have anything to do with u.Have i ever defrauded you or any member of your family?Have i ever defrauded anyone here?You are a young small boy who knows nothing about Life and i dont blame you.If you know what life entails you wouldnt have judged me that way, I will not say anything on here again.someone like u lives illegally in TRNC  ,you not schooling ,you dont have a permit,You just moving up and down to get your daily bread, What i have said will surely come to past until you realised your mistake and ask for forgiveness from God.

yungman the last thing u want is to throw beef with me,  ask Ovie #AmNotJustOk.
guinea P/i/g like u opening your stinking mouth towards me. God punish u!
Re: North Cyprus by iz2much: 7:58pm On Aug 02, 2011
coolbright:

I beg to seriously defer on the fact that foods prices in Northern Cyprus are relatively the same with that of Nigeria. Have been here for three weeks and i most confess it was beyond what i expected. Didn't pack any food stuffs with the hope that food aren't expensive in these overseas country but it dashed my believe.
A slice of bread that you’ll get in Nigeria for #150 is 4TL, approximately #400, here. Big Bunch of banana (the Igbo type) that you get for #200 in Nigeria if you don’t have your 7TL (#700) just forget it. A sachet of hot pepper that goes for #20 in Niger is 1.5TL, equivalent of #150. I can go on and on. They just dash students’ admission just to come and invest money into their Economy and the annoying part is the taxi guys see’s black has a potential mugu to exploit; how can I pay 7TL for a distance that is less than 20 meters; #700 it’s crazy and they open their stinking mouth to tell me it’s the standard fee. How can one pay 20TL, #2000, for a Nigeria food, even the most expensive BUKA (with different parts of goats in one big bowl) at Kingsway road Ikoyi, isn’t charging that. Really it’s not the fault of the restaurant becauses the taxes are high and also getting it down is something else. The only thing that is relatively okay is chicken that’s it any other things- Clothes, electronics, phones an endless list- are killing. Things are bleeping expensive here.
I'll advice if it's possible pack enough food stuffs that will last you for one year before you go back home, if you plan going back ever summer for me am jetting back December.

once you get into a taxi thats what u pay in lefkosa
but i learnt its 10TL in magusa. about the other things, well that how we see it. u will get used to it. i beg no vex eif them
Re: North Cyprus by esko: 3:22am On Aug 03, 2011
@iz2much and coolbr, , waooo! That last post is the most revealing I've ever come across and dat's d kind of exposé I would like to grab 4rm 1st timers or freshmen students. Because, d problem is not alwayz with taking care of d capital expenses like tuition and accomodation but defraying d daily/recurrent expenditures on food, transport, comunication and welfare activity eg haircut etc. Hence, it wil be a gud eye-opener if u guys repost with a more comprehensive list of where surprises come from in current&real prices of things. Also, are d prices u quoted applicable evrywhere in trnc or Lefke d city centre? If a student lives in d dorm, would there be any need of depending on taxis there? Explain pls.
Re: North Cyprus by iz2much: 8:35am On Aug 03, 2011
No one spend on taxi except u dont like the bus,of which EVERYONE LOVES THE BUS. or you trying to show u got cash. there is always bus available. free of course that moves around the town every hour during the school period and every 2 hours during the weekends and holidays.
the only time i use taxis is when am at a party going back home. no bus will be available so taxi is the only means of getting home.excepts that why will i use a taxi? and if u stay in the dorm. you dont even need the BUS let alone the taxi. and as for other things u ask? / ? ? ?
Bro u will see when u get here.
Re: North Cyprus by llbhuds: 5:06pm On Aug 03, 2011
@coolbr
if u try to compare tins this way den u are not gonna eat all year. take for instance, a bMW 3series made 10yrs ago costs less dan 150k naira in germany and i know is like 3x-4x dat amount in naija, will u now say that naija is expensive interms of automobile? Cyprus isa country with less dan 1m in population (north and south) and dey manufacture nothin by dem selves.even d water dey drink is either imported from greece or turkey. things are priced according to the economy of the country so this comparison is not a fair one.
Re: North Cyprus by tunapa4dem: 9:23pm On Aug 04, 2011
@everybody, i got admission in turkey, i got in Gediz University, İzmir, and Zirve University GAZIANTEP. i need advise which one can i attend. i need information about the each city. in term of Accommodation, Life, which place can i find Nigerian most.second how many day does it take to get your visa in Turkey embassy in Abuja.

Thanks
Re: North Cyprus by DonADESIDA(m): 9:01am On Aug 06, 2011
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 9:19am On Aug 06, 2011
what are we talking bout now? i've been living in North Cyprus for 5yrs now (and counting).
Re: North Cyprus by esko: 9:49am On Aug 07, 2011
@all,I undastand dat submission for visa application is made on mondays, wed. and fridays to collect d following days. If I submit on friday,when will I be required 2collect my passport back? Pls explain
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 6:36pm On Aug 07, 2011
@esko: on Monday. when are you planning to come?
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 6:43pm On Aug 07, 2011
@coolbright: dude seriously, one of the greatest mistakes you'd make is converting price of everything you spend on into naira, you'd reck your brain, and never shop on the island. nevertheless, i kinda agree to whoever said food is relatively same as in nigeria, obviously not everything. you cant compare EVERYTHING. certain things are cheaper here than in nigeria. for instance, gizzards are cheaper here than in nigeria, beef is more expensive here, rice is about same price. semo is about same price, noodles, almost same, bottles water, about same, and so on. also, depends on where sha. in magusa back then, there used to be 4lira taxi, i dont know bout now.

cost of living in cities like lefkosa, magusa and girne are relatively higher than that in lefke. since i left magusa to lefke 4yrs ago, i do not regret it. nevertheless, if you have a job, even a small one, part-time sef, it's enough to take care of your welfare, such as bills, feeding, transport, etc. you'd have to work full time to be able to cover rent and/or tuition.
Re: North Cyprus by esko: 10:16pm On Aug 07, 2011
@kheme, tnx 4d answer. Which means monday is for both submission and collection. Well, I am presently at abuja, I pray dat I do d certification in time to meet up with submission at d Turkish Embassy. It is when I finally receive my visa by God's grace then I will know when to travel which must be in September.
Re: North Cyprus by akinbimatt: 10:44am On Aug 08, 2011
@kheme,how much can one makes working full time in a month,and also in a day.and how many hours is part time jobs over there and how much can someone make working part in a day, and a month?pls reply
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 12:09pm On Aug 08, 2011
ok, the basic "minimum" wage is between 25 and 30 lira (approx. 2k5 or 3k naira, just for comparison)

so, depending on where, you can earn more. i know some friends who started earning 50 per day, and has been increased 3 times (to my knowledge) over the past 2 yrs.

so let's do the maths:

calculating full-time, 25 days a month, 1day off each week
25 lira per day = 625 lira per month
30 lira per day = 750 lira per month
50 lira per day = 1,250 lira per month
70 lira per day = 1,759 per month

calculating part-time, 3 days a week (fri, sat, sunday, or other days)
25/day = 75/week = 300/month
30/day = 90/week = 360/month
50/day = 150/week = 450/month
70/day = 210/week = 840/month

these are estimates as different places have different payment policies.

some places pay daily, some just pay salary. eg, place i worked last summer paid 1000lira monthly, plus accommodation and feeding. other places pay more (up to 1,200 or 1,500) plus accommodation, and some with working permit as well, etc. so all depends on the city you are, and the company (i mean hotel, restaurant, etc.) that hire you.

working full time there for 2 and half months was enough for pay half of ma rent (that's after spending most of the 1st month's salary sha lol). if i worked there the whole summer (4months, i could have covered ma semester fees, or half accommodation and half semester fees.

so as i said somewhere, even part time jobs can take care of ya welfare, but still, you need to have a proper plan for tuition and accommodation, feeding and bills, you can settle those by other means, little jobs, etc.

for someone like me, i'm into websites and programming and i make enough to pay bills, etc. from making websites, fixing computers, coding people's projects, etc. that's how i get by, that's how i've been feeding for 5yrs and counting. my accommodation and tuition (or at least, MOST of it) are being taken care of, but the rest (everything else) is on me.
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 3:45pm On Aug 08, 2011
ATTENTION

Students who intend to study in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus do not need an appointment.

You are kindly advised to apply to the Embassy in person with all the application documents on any Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 9-11 am. after August 20.

All information related to visa application formalities is available on Embassy’s website (www.abuja.emb.mfa.gov.tr), under the “info notes” menu on top of the main page.

this was an email from the Turkish Embassy in Abuja TODAY (August 8 2011), so be informed!
Re: North Cyprus by akinbimatt: 11:39pm On Aug 08, 2011
@kheme,thanks ,for the simple details, u mention one thing about some companies hiring and also gives work permit,pls what are the advantages of the permit they are giving since one is already working with them?
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 12:40am On Aug 09, 2011
there's still the issue of whether students are allowed to work or not. "officially" students are allowed to work about 20hrs a week during the semester, and up to 30 or so during summer.

so the thing is, BEFORE this, anyone working here would need a work permit to work "legally". so, the jobs you do here are "illegal" so when authorities come to small places, it's easy to say "i'm just helping out" (like some people do in UK) but in the bigger places, you can't be "helping out" dressed in uniforms, you know, so to save their asses, they have to get you a work permit. that way, you work freely without bothering bout authorities and stuffs.

i hope i was clear enough without talking too much?

another thing with work permits, as i experienced once or twice,

once at a building construction, they refused to take us cos he didn't have work permit.
another instance, we were working and being paid 35 bucks a day. one of the guy there told us that if we had work permit, they could pay us anything from 50 to 75 bucks.

so if you land a job that gives you a work permit, good for you. if not, don't bother is its a small place where you can easily blend in as someone who's actually "helping out"
Re: North Cyprus by tunapa4dem: 10:55am On Aug 09, 2011
plssssss,@everybody, i got admission in turkey, i got in Gediz University, İzmir, and Zirve University GAZIANTEP. i need advise which one can i attend. i need information about the each city. in term of Accommodation, Life, which place can i find Nigerian most.second how many day does it take to get your visa in Turkey embassy in Abuja.

Thanks
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 11:48am On Aug 09, 2011
@tunapa4dem: i can't say much or anything to help, but if i had to choose based on the very little i know about Turkey, i'd go to Izmir, as it's more versatile than the other places you mentioned. there are more tourists, and i hear there's a good number of Christians there too. but that's all i can say. you do your homework, use the internet and research these schools and their respective cities. you can get reliable info from the internet.
Re: North Cyprus by tunapa4dem: 12:05pm On Aug 09, 2011
@wip4, pls can you asst me about the information i know you can be my help.
Re: North Cyprus by akinbimatt: 4:51pm On Aug 09, 2011
@kheme,thanks again for another breakdown,hope my questions are not much,I am working on cyprus work 2yrs work permit,wit ur experience ,which one will u advice me to go for,either dubai work permit wit job or cyprus work permit with job?and what are the chances of relocating to other europe countries specifically shenghen from cyprus and which countries (shenghen or any)are most likely easy to relocate to from cyprus?
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2011
@akinbimatt: um, it seems you're looking for "greener pastures" and i'm sorry to say, but forget about cyprus. if you're looking to come work and settle here, NORTHERN CYPRUS IS NOT YOUR PLACE. so i'd suggest you go to dubai oh, that MY opinion. i dont know much about working in dubai, but here in northern cyprus (i also dont know about south cyprus) and employer has to get you the permit, NOT you getting one for yourself, doesn't work that way here. you need to have a job first, then your employer gets you a job. you can't relocate here. there are only 2 ways to stay here legally: as a student or as a worker. so as a student, you know the drill, you have to be registered in a uni to get a student permit. as a worker, your employer has to get your permit. so outside this, i don't know how else a foreigner can "settle" here. only british people can come settle here, as i know it.
Re: North Cyprus by akinbimatt: 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2011
@kheme,thanks for ur advice,I'm already into something, I already got a job and the company are workin on my permit now to be out soon,I just want to know how things are over there before I make move,I already have my bsc here in naija,I really want to know where I can easily relocate to(I e europe) from north cyprus if at the end I decide to come ova.
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 9:42pm On Aug 09, 2011
i don't know about "relocating" from here. cos for some visas, you have to go back to nigeria to apply and all that stuff. but it seems easier getting visas to other countries from here, and that's also one of the reason many "huslters" come here. but the overflow and abuse (you know how nigerians get) of the opportunity has made it more difficult to get some visas these days.
Re: North Cyprus by akinbimatt: 9:59pm On Aug 09, 2011
@kheme,thanks,but which countries visa can som1 get?and which categories of visa, be it student,visit,tourist,
Re: North Cyprus by kheme(m): 10:22pm On Aug 09, 2011
UK and USA seem to be easier here. as for the others, i don't know.
Re: North Cyprus by akinbimatt: 10:40pm On Aug 09, 2011
@kheme,thanks kheme
Re: North Cyprus by iz2much: 12:44pm On Aug 13, 2011
kheme:

UK and USA seem to be easier here. as for the others, i don't know.
i dout doubt that bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (356)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.