Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,831 members, 7,893,277 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 July 2024 at 07:47 AM

Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? (1323 Views)

Elections Can Be Annulled For Security And PVC Distribution Reasons – Uwazurike / "senator" Remi Tinubu's Election Annulled By Election Tribunal. Re-run Ordered! / IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 8:30pm On Jan 11, 2007
As we all know, it's been stated repeatedly by many Nigerians over the years that the 1993 election was the most successful election that ever took place in Nigeria; and simultaneously many continue to criticize or bash IBB for annulling the election.

In-fact, it has been confirmed that the election wasn't annulled, but was cancelled to prevent major conflict within Nigeria during that period.
Furthermore, the decision wasn't made by just IBB, but was made by many federal government officials e.g head the executive departments of the government and Federal government official advisers. Also, it seems to me that all these government officials remain invisible while IBB on the other hand continues to get the bashing and thwacking severely alone just about every day in and outside Nigeria.

Moreover, it is also important to know and understand the different between ANNULMENT and CANCELLATION.

Please share your views on this matter.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 8:37pm On Jan 11, 2007
If I recalled we were under military regime then, and they used something called DECREE, IBB was the Pilot and the sailor of that boat and he should accept responsibility for that action, he publicly said couple months ago he annulled and not cancelled the election, now what are you saying dude? IBB is a dead issue and we need to focus on the election and forget about this man
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 8:54pm On Jan 11, 2007
@MAMAJAMA

That was not true, IBB has never at anytime admitted to annulling the election.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 8:58pm On Jan 11, 2007
Boy do you want me to find you the link? he is the boss and when the ship goes down the captain takes full responsibility.

Just like we all don't like the way OBJ is handling the issues in the country now, but he has a cabinet, that reports to him right, but we are critical of his policies.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 9:07pm On Jan 11, 2007
Dude, no body is denying IBB's responsibility. That is not the point, the point is the fact that the election was not annulled as being claimed by many. The election was cancelled for a very reasonable reason.

And I do not think it's fair to continue to beat up this guy with out getting the fact that encircles their decision to cancel the election.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 9:20pm On Jan 11, 2007
OK, fine we are not beating IBB, what is the difference between annulled and cancelled?

avoid, countermand, invalidate, lift, nullify, overturn, quash, repeal, rescind, reverse, revoke, vacate, void

Antonyms: formalise, formalize, validate

See Also: break, cancel, cancel, go back on, renege, renege on, renegue on, stet, strike down, strike down

cancelled

adjudge, annul, avoid, balance, break, counteract, counterbalance, countermand, countervail, declare, efface, equilibrate, equilibrise, equilibrize, erase, excise, expunge, hold, invalidate, lift, mark, musical notation, neutralize, nullify, overturn, quash, recall, remit, remove, repeal, rescind, reverse, revoke, rub out, schedule, score, score out, strike, take, take away, vacate, void, wipe off, withdraw, write off

DO you see the similarities?
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 9:24pm On Jan 11, 2007
Do you know why IBB was invited to the council of states? can you ask your dad for me please?
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by azorjiu(m): 9:32pm On Jan 11, 2007
from answers.com

ANNUL

1. To make or declare void or invalid, as a marriage or a law; nullify.
2. To obliterate the effect or existence of: “The significance of the past . . . is annulled in idle gusts of electronic massacre” (Alexander Cockburn).

To put an end to, especially formally and with authority: abolish, abrogate, annihilate, cancel, invalidate, negate, nullify, set aside, vitiate, void. Law extinguish. See continue/stop/pause

CANCEL

1. To cross out with lines or other markings. See synonyms at erase.
2. To annul or invalidate, etc

I listened to the interview granted IBB and he was talking bull****. When did he become a grammarian to tell us when to use annul and when not to? He should sit down and die.

He said that "to annul" means that "there was never an election".
But "to cancel" means "there was an election but it was cancelled".
He better tell that to the kindergarten
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 9:39pm On Jan 11, 2007
@MAMAJAMA

Annulled means void or invalid and also to obliterate the existence of a position.
Cancellation means termination of a position with a tracking record.

The different between the 2

One shows an existence (record) while the other doesn't.

One will be legal while the other will be illegal.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 9:43pm On Jan 11, 2007
Thanks BigB1 I think I and over 100 Million Nigerians will go back to school to register for English 101 since we don't know the meaning of annul and cancel

beside lets forget about IBB. This is a dead issue he will never be president, can we talk about positive things?
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 9:52pm On Jan 11, 2007
It will be fair to stop bashing the man for something that was done jointly for the purpose of uniting the nation.

By the way, don't you slumber, IBB is still pretty much in the picture.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 9:54pm On Jan 11, 2007
Ok. we are waiting to see if baba Iyabo let him
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 10:00pm On Jan 11, 2007
FYI: Baba Iyabo is currently busy watching his own back, you know what comes around may eventually stops by.

Believe me, as the count down rolls, the pressure becomes more visible for Baba Iyabo
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 10:30pm On Jan 11, 2007
he is there till May trust me, they are all under his balls
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by McKren(m): 12:06am On Jan 12, 2007
In-fact, it has been confirmed that the election wasn't annulled, but was cancelled to prevent major conflict within Nigeria during that period.

How a country that has voted freely and fairly without violence or conspicous electoral fraud will resort to violence when their own result is announced only IBB and his cohorts will know.

Except you guys are only confirming the speculation that IBB would have fancied Tofa to win and was nursing the idea of changing the results in his favour.
Anullment or Cancellation means the same thing cos a democratic governement did not emerge at the end of the day. IBB was at the helm of affairs and was not man enough to make the big decisions that true leaders are known for.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by saintchux(m): 4:28pm On Jan 12, 2007
Big B1:

Furthermore, the decision wasn't made by just IBB, but was made by many federal government officials e.g head the executive departments of the government and Federal government official advisers. Also, it seems to me that all these government officials remain invisible while IBB on the other hand continues to get the bashing and thwacking severely alone just about every day in and outside Nigeria.

It is true that the decision was made by federal military government then, headed by IBB just like we want to kill OBJ now for any wrong policy mage by federal government. so IBB should take the blame and accept it in good faith

Big B1:

Moreover, it is also important to know and understand the different between ANNULMENT and CANCELLATION.

I don't care about the different. What is the end point? Annualment of cancellation wheredid it take Nigeria to?
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 4:32pm On Jan 12, 2007
I will tell you where it takes Nigeria too,

DISTRUCTION

419ERS

Corruption

Insecurities, and

IMF loan
and ABACH dictatorship all = IBB CANCELATION OF THE ELECTION grin grin
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 5:57pm On Jan 12, 2007
Posted By saintchux:
It is true that the decision was made by federal military government then, headed by IBB just like we want to kill OBJ now for any wrong policy made by federal government. so IBB should take the blame and accept it in good faith

You're wrong @ Saintchux

It is known and very visible that OBJ's agenda is totally dedicated to OBJ, and 90% of his decision are made by Mr. president himself. It is never his style to consult with anyone (his cabinet) and exhaust all options before making his decision.

On the other hand, IBB has never made a decision without consulting with many and without analyzing all other options. His decisions may be wrong or brought negative impact to the nation, but these decision were never intentionally made or singly made by just him.
And believe it or not, this is one of the reasons why many still admire him till today.

It has also been confirmed that the 1993 election was cancelled due to the forecasting process executed by the top government officials before and after the election, which indicated an irruption of major conflict through out all the premier cities in Nigeria.

As we all know, forecasting is one of the major role of any effective and successful leader through out the world; it is also important to know that while forecasting could be advantageous and guards a nation toward progress, it could also be disadvantageous and brings down major negative impact to a nation.
And that is the risk one takes as a leader; afterall, no-one knows tomorrow.

Hence it is time to let go the 1993 cancellation propaganda and move forward unitedly.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Afam(m): 6:50pm On Jan 12, 2007
@Big B1,

I sincerely believe that you are extremely far from honest in your discussions especially when they have anything to do with IBB or Adenuga.

Sometimes, it is sickening reading the excuses you give for IBB's mistakes/actions while stating what and what OBJ has done wrong and passing judgement on him.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 7:04pm On Jan 12, 2007
Afam Blood is thicker than water what do you expect from Biggy1. to say his dad IBB is a thief? come on now.

OBJ is the criminal for stopping IBB, and IBB is as clean as a whistle to biggy, lol
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 7:09pm On Jan 12, 2007
@AFAM

I do not know why folks continue to associate the two people together negatively; it is totally wrong and unfair.
One is a former leader of our lovely country and the other is a business man who is totally committed or dedicated to investing heavily in Nigeria.

What is the crime?.

I see why many rich Nigerians do not want anything to do with Nigerians or Nigeria.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 7:18pm On Jan 12, 2007
Big B1 we associate MIKE ADENUGA AND IBB /ATIKU because him ADENUGA is a forefront for laundering Nigeria money by IBB and ATIKU can't you see the point?
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 7:22pm On Jan 12, 2007
@MAMAJAMA

Could you prove that?

Come on, let us be reasonable and civilized.

It is not fair and senseless to continue to damage people's integrity, especially incredible folks, whose intention is to develop and move our lovely country forward.

It is sad.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 7:32pm On Jan 12, 2007
Trust me I have reliable sources, and be on the look out for a book coming out soon the owners of Nigeria.

Why is IBB the most feared person in Nigeria?

Why is IBB still so powerful?

Even BABA IYABO is scared of IBB.

The only person with balls calling IBB out is BUHARI.

Do you think IBB will stepped out of the presidential race without backup plan?

please. Yar Adua is a close associate of IBB. He is nothing but a cover up, What we need in Nigeria is a new leader with no political or bias ties to any political party. a non partial compationate, educated person.

current administration and all his governors are nothing but disastrous and setting the stage for distruction.

How can we be the 3rd largest oil producing nation and still have fuel scarcity? bad roads, debts and thuggery parties?
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 7:34pm On Jan 12, 2007
If I may ask you, why is ADENUGA on the run?  where is his credibility that he is defending?  you might as well say Umaru DIKKO is a saint.

Yoruba man will say you don't run if no one is chasing you.

I must agree with you on one note, Nigeria problem far susupersedeBB. the problem and state for distruction in Nigeria was set by the founding fathers. but what we have now is educated man stealing with pencil and paper, and we cant stop nor trace their atatrocities
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 7:49pm On Jan 12, 2007
Posted by MAMAJAMA:
current administration and all his governors are nothing but disastrous and setting the stage for distruction.

How can we be the 3rd largest oil producing nation and still have fuel scarcity? bad roads, debts and thuggery parties?

Your father (No disrespect, because we all know your father's ID) will be a perfect person to answer all your questions. He's part of this regime.

Infact, I heard that OBJ has given him an extension till May 2007, which makes me wonder and start to smell fish.

Posted by MAMAJAMA:
If I may ask you, why is ADENUGA on the run?  where is his credibility that he is defending?  you might as well say Umaru DIKKO is a saint.

Yoruba man will say you don't run if no one is chasing you.

The same yoruba man also says "know when to close your eyes before evil folks stick wood inside your eyes"
Do you remember that one?

The man is not on the run and will never be.
He has made is decision based on the fact that politicians continue to pull him into their mess and he doesn't want to be part of it. The man was never a politician and refuses to be in the middle of politic propaganda.

Hence, I do not blame Adenuga for making a smart decision.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 8:14pm On Jan 12, 2007
Wao some one stick a broom in your ass I see, do you know why the police can't protect Nigerians today?
because your dad IBB stole all the money that was supposed to be used to purchase ammunition and guns? ADENUGA IS IBB cronies we all know this the man can run but he can't hide. like I've said b4 talking to you on IBB and ADENUGA issue is like talking to a 2 day old baby.

it's amazing how punks like you come on this forum and bash the police

Can you send a child to school without pencil and paper?
have you been to the police stations and see what they have as protection gears?
has the national assemble and all your fat senators approved the police compensation package for salary increase?

what is the salary of average constable in Nigeria? you pay this people #9000 a month and expect miracle?

not until they kidnap IBB and all his cronies. that we will have able police and security apparatus in Nigeria

BOY you better check your facts next time you call me out cause I'm not your playmate.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 8:22pm On Jan 12, 2007
Dude,

What's your problem? what's up with the police? what are you talking about?
You need to simmer down and take your medication.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by Mamajama(m): 8:27pm On Jan 12, 2007
Tell you father to send me money to buy medication BOY I strongly blv something is wrong with your head.

maybe if you cant get your head out of IBB ass sometime you can actually see what is wrong with the police underfunded in Nigeria and some of the social problem confronting average Nigerian today due to the ADVERSE IMPACT of your father regime.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by BigB11(m): 8:33pm On Jan 12, 2007
lol, you're too funny.

Well, I do not have any problem with the Nigerian police; please tell your father and his boys that they're doing a great job with so little.

Calm down, my man.
Re: Was The 1993 Election Annulled Or Cancelled? by saintchux(m): 1:57am On Jan 15, 2007
Big B1:

Posted By saintchux:
You're wrong @ Saintchux

It is known and very visible that OBJ's agenda is totally dedicated to OBJ, and 90% of his decision are made by Mr. president himself. It is never his style to consult with anyone (his cabinet) and exhaust all options before making his decision.

On the other hand, IBB has never made a decision without consulting with many and without analyzing all other options. His decisions may be wrong or brought negative impact to the nation, but these decision were never intentionally made or singly made by just him.
And believe it or not, this is one of the reasons why many still admire him till today.

I don't know whether OBJ consult anyone before he takes decision or just take decision in his bedroom with late stella. How IBB took his own decision I don't know. I have not been to Aso roak where they take decision, to see how they took decision, but the only thing I know is that IBB annouced your so called cancellation of june 12 election as the head. However the decision was reached, I don't know. Since he annouced it as the head, he should accept the blame as the head of the group that took the decision. so, let him take the blame go home as the head of the group and share the blame with all those that participated on the decsion to cancell the election period . If he is not comfortable with that then let him tell us who & who that told him to cancel it. Ok

(1) (Reply)

If You Were The President Of Nigeria-what Would You Do 2 Change Nigeria / Is Nigeria Doomed? / Nigeria's Stock Market, World's Worst In 1st Qtr — Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.