Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,226 members, 7,947,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 01:19 PM

Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures - Politics (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures (306691 Views)

Nigerian Military In Action At Buhari's Inauguration (photos) / Nigerian MOPOL Fighting Alongside The Military In North East(picture) / Boko Haram Set To Engage Military In Gwoza, Asks Women, Children To Leave Town (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by JakeB: 8:16am On Oct 08, 2010
see https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527450.0.html to join the 1 million posts against IBB. Paste on every blog page or site you know worldwide
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by paddylo1(m): 1:30pm On Oct 08, 2010
Jake B:

see https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527450.0.html to join the 1 million posts against IBB. Paste on every blog page or site you know worldwide

IBB destroyed the Nigerian military too thats for sure. . under him our airforce and navy became unoperational. . .while he divided the army with his idiotic presidential guard. . .
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by bolaji4lyf: 2:41pm On Oct 08, 2010
join the Campaign against IBB's return - 1 million posts needed.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527450.0.html

Post on every blog page and site worldwide.Let the voice of the people be heard and not the opinions of traitors of democracy
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 7:02pm On Oct 12, 2010
All pics courtesy of Emily Bullock via skyscrapercity.com (Nigerian sub forum)

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 9:07pm On Oct 14, 2010
Nive pics of those guys in uniform. cheesy
wink
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 7:29pm On Oct 20, 2010
So who's excited about that new proposal the navy made to the money men cheesy
Imagine Nigerian navy=
2- frigates
12- OPV's
2- LPD's shocked
3- Subs
1- hydrographic ship
2- Mine counter measures
2- Corvettes
20- Helicopters
20- Long range helis

Nice huh? kiss
But do you think they will get all this stuff or some of it or well nothing. cry
Ah well until then, keep on floating Aradu cool
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by samdigo(m): 9:38am On Nov 13, 2010
yes Nigeria has a decent army, but they are a long way away from were they should be, the are so brutal. i watched videos of some of their Campinas in sierre-leon, and they were executing people based of mere suspicion of being a rebel. they beat and shot women, and took no prisoners. they shot bound men in the streets, and looted. they had justice in the palm of their hands, and were so unprofessional in their actions
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by osifred(m): 11:52am On Nov 13, 2010
things like this make me proud of ma country. there are better dayz for Nigeria
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by GAR3TH(m): 9:42pm On Nov 23, 2010
[size=14pt]courtesy of BEEG EAGLE[/size]

NIGERIAN JOINT TASK FORCE ARMY AND NAVAL COMMANDOS (AMPHIBIOUS AND SPECIAL FORCES) PREPARE TO GO INTO ACTION AGAINST A REBEL STRONGHOLD IN THE 3,014-CREEK LABYRINTH THAT IS THE NIGER DELTA, LAST WEEKEND

The landing craft seen above is DIFFERENT from any of the gunboats or LCUs which have so far featured in this thread. It is neither the Special Operations boats of the Navy's SBS commandos nor the Otter LCUs of the Army's amphibious forces.

SAME LANDING CRAFT, another view

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Nobody: 12:23am On Nov 24, 2010
cap28 said:

I am aware that this is a tribute to the nigerian military but i think im entitled to voice my disagreement just as you are entitled to voice yours, as i said earlier i do not think the nigerian military have done anything for the nigerian people worth celebrating.

You are wrong.

What exactly do you expect the Nigerian army to do for the people that would be ''worth celebrating''? As far as I know we've not been attacked by any nation, so what is our military supposed to do? Invent an ''enemy'' and start a shooting war just to please you?

Has nigeria ever fought and defeated an external enemy?

Do you suggest we send emails round to various nations seeking a combat opponent?

Or are you suggesting we attack neighbouring territories in order to fulfill your condition of having ''fought and defeated an external enemy''?

the nigerian military can't even guarantee the safety of its own citizens INSIDE the country (Jos) so why the celebration?

The US army could not guarantee the safety of its citizens on 9/11. The US army cannot guarantee the safety of citizens in its major cities, each of whose murder rate is in the thousands per year!

Lesson: Shhit happens. No country's military on earth can ''guarantee'' anything!

the tanks, guns, planes etc are simply being used for THEIR OWN PROTECTION not for the protection of the nigerian people and it's territory.

And why exactly does the govt need hundreds of jet fighters, warships and tanks for protection against an unarmed civilian population

That's the strangest thing you've written.

This military hardware is being stockpiled to be used against nigerian citizens should there be any attempt to resist IBB's bid for the presidency come 2011.

I see. So NOW that IBB has been rejected by his northern constituency in favour of Atiku, are we to expect the Nigerian military to launch attacks against Nigerians soon in defence of IBB's ambition?

Paca7 said:
It is very funny also cos if Nigeria was wasting money on such expensive armament, you will be the same one's complaining that people are hungry and don't have light, blah, blah.blaaahh.

Absolutely. Seems we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by GAR3TH(m): 6:35am On Nov 25, 2010
www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/7/7/1705773.jpg">
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by GAR3TH(m): 6:37am On Nov 25, 2010
Army Special Forces on Parade during Nigeria's 50th Independence Anniversary yesterday in Abuja Photo: Gbemiga Olamikan.

Nigerian ECOMOG soldiers on Parade during Nigeria's 50th Independence Anniversary yesterday in Abuja Photo: Gbemiga Olamikan.

C-130 aircraft leading other jet fighters in an aerial dislay during the parade to mark the Nigerian Golden Jubilee.

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 11:02pm On Nov 26, 2010
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 7:46pm On Nov 27, 2010
Equipment for Lagos State Police division

Coutersy of Skyscrapercity.com (Originals posted on Fashola's facebook page)

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by cap28: 2:08am On Nov 28, 2010
ROSSIKE:

cap28 said:

You are wrong.

What exactly do you expect the Nigerian army to do for the people that would be ''worth celebrating''? As far as I know we've not been attacked by any nation, so what is our military supposed to do? Invent an ''enemy'' and start a shooting war just to please you?

No but what the nigerian govt could do is trim the bloated army and spend those billions of dollars that it wastes on "defence" on adequate housing, constant electricity, running water, health care and the construction of a comprehensive transportation system in the country, that would definitely be worth celebrating.

I dont know if you are aware of this but nations that spend vast sums of money on military defence tend to be either imperialist nations ie with expansionist objectives like the US or repressive ones  - ie with the objective of crushing dissent or opposition within their own countries like nigeria.  Other developed nations like britain, germany, france can AFFORD to allocate huge sums on military defence because they do not have the same type of socio economic problems that nigeria has such as mass poverty, unemployment, inadequate housing, inadequate health care etc
Does it make sense to you that despite not being at war with any nation we allocate huge sums of money towards the purchase of military hardware - can you justify for me why this is important?

Do you suggest we send emails round to various nations seeking a combat opponent?

Funny!!!! but the jokes on you who does not seem to think that there is something wrong with spending huge sums of money on defence while 70% of the population live on $1 a day.

Or are you suggesting we attack neighbouring territories in order to fulfill your condition of having ''fought and defeated an external enemy''?

My point was this : nigeria has never fought or defeated an external enemy, neither has it been under threat of invasion therefore it makes no sense allocate huge sums of money on defence when that revenue could be put to better use.

Aside from brutalising, maiming and killing innocent civilians within their own country  and committing genocide against the igbos during the nigeria/biafra civil war i do not recall any time that the nigerian military's "greatness"  or courage has ever actually been tested. 

Before you mention ECOMOG please remember that nigeria were performing a peace keeping role only and were not engaged in protracted combat also nigeria was instructed to send troops to liberia and sierra leone by the US who did not want to comitt their own troops to these areas, i would therefore describe the ECOMOG project as nigeria doing america's dirty work.

The US army could not guarantee the safety of its citizens on 9/11. The US army cannot guarantee the safety of citizens in its major cities, each of whose murder rate is in the thousands per year!

have you ever heard of americans being massacred by rampaging lynch mobs on american soil with the american military standing helplessly by and doing nothing? It beggars beleif that you would compare a plane being flown into the world trade centre by alleged terrorists with a rampaging lynch mob. 

Lesson: Shhit happens. No country's military on earth can ''guarantee'' anything!

Try telling that to the indigenes of Odi, Gbamaratu and Zaki Biam where soldiers rampaged through their villages ra.ping, shooting, maiming and brutalising innocent unarmed civilians before burning entire villages to the ground, have you ever heard of western soldiers perpertrating such atrocities on their own people?

And why exactly does the govt need hundreds of jet fighters, warships and tanks for protection against an unarmed civilian population

That's the strangest thing you've written.

I see  you are  yet to awaken from your deep slumber, okay this is how it works - when you run a dictatorship like nigeria you keep people in line by way of violence, terror and repression, that is what all those unmanned drones, militarised police , JTF , automatic weapons, tanks, are for - to kill, maim and brutalise any potential threat, to crush any form of opposition from the nigerian populace  - do you get it now?

I see. So NOW that IBB has been rejected by his northern constituency in favour of Atiku, are we to expect the Nigerian military to launch attacks against Nigerians soon in defence of IBB's ambition?

IBB is not out of the race yet and i am pretty sure that if he wins the presidential ticket come 2011 there will be mass protest, do you think he will go quietly the way he did on June 12?? or do you think he will stamp his authority down using various arms of the nigerian police state?  take a guess?
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 11:59pm On Nov 28, 2010
lol the Nigerian Police have stretch limo jeeps in armoured plateing. Wouldnt mind getting arrested in that smiley
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by ezeagu(m): 12:05am On Nov 29, 2010
lordangers:

lol the Nigerian Police have stretch limo jeeps in armoured plateing. Wouldnt mind getting arrested in that smiley

This Nigeria, you do not want to be arrested at all!
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 2:38pm On Nov 29, 2010
More on Army special services. Courtesy skyscrapercity.com

Armour/Self propelled artillery/AA weapons

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 8:42pm On Dec 03, 2010
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 2:13pm On Dec 21, 2010
ECOMOG might be heading to the Coast soon if things boil over there. Nasty scenes right now.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by xterra2(m): 10:56pm On Dec 21, 2010
^^^ When he ordered Peace Keepers out of his country?
So should we be like US that interfere with matters of other countries ? No

always go to Cnn.com everyday, and read the news
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 12:53am On Dec 22, 2010
xterra2:

^^^ When he ordered Peace Keepers out of his country?
So should we be like US that interfere with matters of other countries ? No

always go to Cnn.com everyday, and read the news
errr what does the first line mean?
I was also reffering to Nigeria participating as a peace mission for ECOMOG. Possibly the first test of the African standby force. And only if the coast went back to civil war which it has shown strong signs of severe violence.
And what does your last line mean?
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by xterra2(m): 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2010
^^ My first line meant that no one would send peacekeepers there , he ordered them out, by reality no one would send any peacekeepers in
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by mensdept: 6:33am On Dec 23, 2010
Imaginations can go only so far
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Musiwa13: 7:27am On Dec 23, 2010
u have to remove most of this equipment from the abuja before this northern military boys see, them, if not they may take over power.

You dont want to put too much military ina an area that may overthrow the government. since joathan is a southerner.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by lordangers(m): 11:03am On Dec 23, 2010
xterra2:

^^ My first line meant that no one would send peacekeepers there , he ordered them out, by reality no one would send any peacekeepers in
Sorry my bad, thnx for clearing that up.
Why do you think that though? I am only saying ECOMOG might go in if there is civil war in IC
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by GAR3TH(m): 12:52am On Dec 26, 2010
www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/9/4/4/1707449.jpg">
www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/2/7/7/1705772.jpg">
www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/5/4/6/1707645.jpg">
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by GAR3TH(m): 1:02am On Dec 26, 2010
[B]Nigerian Spetcat Jaguars
[/B]

[B]Nigerian Alpha Jets
[/B]

[B]Nigerian Aermacchi MB-339[/B]

Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Chongaiman: 11:27pm On Dec 26, 2010

. . .but what the nigerian govt could do is trim the bloated army and spend those billions of dollars that it wastes on "defence" on adequate housing, constant electricity, running water. . . .

This bloated army consists at present of 5 divisions and a guards brigade totalling less than 100K (population of about 150 million). Compare that to Egypt's 33 divisions (population of about 90 million). The 9ja army is at present smaller than those of Angola and Algeria (giant of Africa indeed undecided). Those billions of dollars spent on 9ja army amounted to a mind-boggling 0.8% of the GDP in 2009. Maybe the money could be better spent on the national assembly.

I dont know if you are aware of this but nations that spend vast sums of money on military defence tend to be either imperialist nations ie with expansionist objectives like the US or repressive ones  - ie with the objective of crushing dissent or opposition within their own countries like nigeria.  Other developed nations like britain, germany, france can AFFORD to allocate huge sums on military defence because they do not have the same type of socio economic problems that nigeria has such as mass poverty, unemployment, inadequate housing, inadequate health care etc

Last time I checked, 56 countries (cutting across the global political and economic spectrum) had greater military expenditure than Nigeria - 6 of them in Africa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Moreover countries like Eritrea, Burundi, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Togo, Congo, Rwanda and Equatorial Guinea among many others have been known to have outspent 9ja militarily per GDP.  http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mil_exp_dol_fig_pergdp-expenditures-dollar-figure-per-gdp

Does it make sense to you that despite not being at war with any nation we allocate huge sums of money towards the purchase of military hardware - can you justify for me why this is important?

Sure. Justified by wisdom, common sense and learning from history.
A wise man in times of peace prepares for war - (Quintus Horatius Flaccus).

Funny!!!! but the jokes on you who does not seem to think that there is something wrong with spending huge sums of money on defence while 70% of the population live on $1 a day.

Or where senator takes home an average of N15 million a month (or $3,333 a day).

My point was this : nigeria has never fought or defeated an external enemy, neither has it been under threat of invasion therefore it makes no sense allocate huge sums of money on defence when that revenue could be put to better use.

Like paying jumbo salaries to politicians? The same politicians whose actions and inactions could lead to unrest and ultimately war?e.g. Laurent Gbagbo.

Aside from brutalising, maiming and killing innocent civilians within their own country  and committing genocide against the igbos during the nigeria/biafra civil war i do not recall any time that the nigerian military's "greatness"  or courage has ever actually been tested. 

And now those brutalising, maiming and killing marauders are being led by an IGBO man.

Before you mention ECOMOG please remember that nigeria were performing a peace keeping role only and were not engaged in protracted combat also nigeria was instructed to send troops to liberia and sierra leone by the US who did not want to comitt their own troops to these areas, i would therefore describe the ECOMOG project as nigeria doing america's dirty work.

Can't remember 9ja being ECOMOG but rather in ECOMOG. It was a peace enforcement mission not peacekeeping as erroneously stated. Nigeria being instructed by the US?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Even the simple instruction she gave 9ja to release MKO and conduct free and fair elections went unheeded. . . . .  So much for dirty work. For enlightenment on ECOMOG, visit http://www.iss.co.za/pubs/monographs/no46/ecomog.html

have you ever heard of americans being massacred by rampaging lynch mobs on american soil with the american military standing helplessly by and doing nothing? It beggars beleif that you would compare a plane being flown into the world trade centre by alleged terrorists with a rampaging lynch mob. 

Try telling that to the indigenes of Odi, Gbamaratu and Zaki Biam where soldiers rampaged through their villages ra.ping, shooting, maiming and brutalising innocent unarmed civilians before burning entire villages to the ground, have you ever heard of western soldiers perpertrating such atrocities on their own people?

It is only in 9ja that rampaging lynch mobs would murder members of the military and police as was done in Odi and Zaki Biam and expect to get away with it. Next we would start hearing about the great injustice done to the kidnapping lord Osikankwu by the military.

I see  you are  yet to awaken from your deep slumber, okay this is how it works - when you run a dictatorship like nigeria you keep people in line by way of violence, terror and repression, that is what all those unmanned drones, militarised police , JTF , automatic weapons, tanks, are for - to kill, maim and brutalise any potential threat, to crush any form of opposition from the nigerian populace  - do you get it now?

Opposition like militants, kidnappers and Boko Haram sect? Nigeria a dictatorship? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by Mariory(m): 12:22am On Dec 27, 2010
@Chongaiman

If there was a clap emoticon, I would use it. Very well said.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by kikuyu1(m): 9:12am On Dec 31, 2010
I see some similar equipment to the Kenya Army. You have Vickers 3 which is actually quite good equipment. Its upgraded version, the mk.7 was very nearly chosen as the Brit army MBT in the early 90s. But WTF is up with those 50 year old F7s. Come on Naija isn't Gambia or Sierra Leone!
Good to see you're building some of your own stuff-even though its only baby steps;its a start which is what kids and haters will never realise.
Re: Tribute To Nigerian Military In Pictures by GAR3TH(m): 10:17am On Dec 31, 2010
kikuyu1:

But WTF is up with those 50 year old F7s. Come on Naija isn't Gambia or Sierra Leone!

Are you talking about the Chengdu F-7, Nigeria has the latest version and they were delivered to us in 2010.

the F-7, a modern version of the J-7

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply)

What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? / Official Results Of Edo Governorship Election 2020 As Announced By INEC / Igbos Most Industrious, Innovative and Richest Tribe In Africa see proof

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.