Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,272 members, 7,881,033 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:13 AM

The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds (15433 Views)

The Enduring Legacies Of A Seasoned Parliamentarian, Davematics David E Ombugadu / Navy's 'Operation Octopus Grip' In Bayelsa, Delta Set To Be Launched / Breaking! Nigerians Voted On Igbo Presidency In 2019. See Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Igboid: 8:11pm On Feb 13, 2017
escapefromusa:

Your base you entire argument on Fajuyi . Your logic is as follows:

Since Fajuyi is Yoruba and supported a largely Ibo coup plotist, the coup could have never been an Ibo thing.

However, if it were not an Ibo coup an eastern leader would not have emerged. Neither would a majority of the post be given to easterners.

No. I base my argument on the fact that none of the non Igbo actors in the coup accused Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna of carrying out an Igbo coup, despite the fact that they saw the emergence of Ironsi and death of other regional leaders as the aftermath of the coup.

The coup and events leading up to it led to the death of Akintola and Saraduna,( two staunch enemies of Awolowo that led to his incarceration) and the freedom of Awolowo. Considering that Awolowo had a history of attempt at usurping constituted authorities in the past, it's not hard to see why the coup could be tagged Awo coup, despite the fact that the actors never said so.
That your logic could be turned against you.

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by laudate: 11:37pm On Feb 13, 2017
Eledan:
You don't need to curse anyone to prove anything to them, its still part of their strategy to get the focus away from the germane issues you've raised.
These folks are my regular customers with the same modus operandi - taking your eyes off the ball

No mind dem. sad Just read this excerpt below, and compare it with the tales by moonlight being spun by the guy who claims Fani-Kayode was released by onye Igbo.

Victor Babaremilekun Adetokunboh Fani-Kayode (nicknamed "Fani-Power"), Q.C., SAN, CON (1921–1995) was a leading Nigerian politician, aristocrat, nationalist, statesman and lawyer. He was elected Deputy Premier of the Western Region of Nigeria in 1963, and he played a major role in Nigeria's legal history and politics from the late 1940s until 1995.....

In the early hours of the morning of 15 January 1966, Major Kaduna Nzeogwu, a Nigerian Army officer of Igbo extraction, attempted to effect the first military coup d'état in the history of Nigeria. The attempt, though ultimately unsuccessful, resulted in a lot of bloodshed and many senior members of the ruling party, the military and the government of the day were brutally killed.

Early that morning the coupists, under the command of Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi, attacked and stormed the home of Chief Remi Fani-Kayode, the Deputy Premier of the Western Region. Fani-Kayode was brutalised by the mutineers in front of his whole family and in the presence of his son.....

Chief Fani-Kayode witnessed the killing of his friend S.L. Akintola by the mutineers and from there he was taken to the military cantonment in Lagos where he was also scheduled to be executed by them. However, luckily for him, on arrival at the Ikeja military cantonment in Lagos the mutineers were overpowered, overwhelmed and killed by loyalist troops under the command of Lt. Col. Yakubu Gowon (who later became Nigeria's Head of State).

Fani-Kayode was freed by the loyalists and kept by them in a safe house until law and order was restored in the country. The coup attempt was effectively quelled by the loyalist forces and all its ringleaders were either killed or captured and detained....
Read the rest here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remi_Fani-Kayode

1 Like

Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by escapefromusa(f): 7:13am On Feb 16, 2017
Igboid:

No. I base my argument on the fact that none of the non Igbo actors in the coup accused Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna of carrying out an Igbo coup, despite the fact that they saw the emergence of Ironsi and death of other regional leaders as the aftermath of the coup.

The coup and events leading up to it led to the death of Akintola and Saraduna,( two staunch enemies of Awolowo that led to his incarceration) and the freedom of Awolowo. Considering that Awolowo had a history of attempt at usurping constituted authorities in the past, it's not hard to see why the coup could be tagged Awo coup, despite the fact that the actors never said so.
That your logic could be turned against you.

Ask yourself, if it was not an Ibo coup - what was it ?
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by cheruv: 7:53am On Feb 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

This is certainly not true. In fact, I would say that tribalism in Nigeria has actually gotten worse over the last couple of years- wouldn't you agree?

I too used to be like you and believe in a utopian Nigerian society, where the country would use each tribe's strengths to progress and finally live up to its nickname as the 'Giant of Africa'. Alas, I got my wake up call, not all of a sudden, but when I decided to read a few history books and compare the situation then to the situation now. I realised that both periods were eerily similar to each other. I then thought to myself, if nothing has changed in almost 60 years of independence, what on earth is going to make it change now? Nothing. A war that divided the country and killed millions of its citizens didn't change much- for the better, anyway- so I honestly don't see what else will. It's better for my people, the Igbos, if we go our separate ways. I honestly don't hate anyone, I'm just tired of this country. undecided
If you read my response to her,you'd see I didn't bother much about her bkos she's ignorant of the true situation of things...and rather than keep shut her trap, she wants to talk bkos she saw that others are talking undecided
Her types is what supports the arguments of some guys who claim that women have no biz in politics...and I'd suggest to her to go and get acquainted with how Nigeria works than open her mouth carelessly angry
Re: The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds by Igboid: 2:07pm On Feb 16, 2017
escapefromusa:

Ask yourself, if it was not an Ibo coup - what was it ?

Ask yourself if it wasn't an Awo coup, what was it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ikpeazu Wins Uche Ogah At The Supreme Court (Photos) / 22 Govs Apply As FG Begins Model Ranch Fund’s Disbursement Next Week / Jonathan Accredited Using Old Manual System

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.