Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,138 members, 7,946,819 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 07:44 AM

New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland (6255 Views)

Guys One Line Of Word For This Girl(pic) / Era Of Change!! Ladies What To Do When You Loose Your Boyfriend To Another Lady / The Era Of The Hot Moms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Go Down)

Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 09, 2009
yo admin - clone in the house!!!
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Igwe9(m): 11:03pm On Dec 09, 2009
ah ah, how many seuns' do we have on here? shocked
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by semid4lyfe(m): 12:13am On Dec 10, 2009
Hmmm! Much ado about word censorship.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by 190: 1:34am On Dec 10, 2009
seun Bleep dis shi.t

what has Google gat 2 do wit words here

do americans not use more bi.tchy words
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by TheSeeker(m): 4:07am On Dec 10, 2009
[Quote author=Seun]Dear Nairalanders,

1We have recently been informed that Google is not happy with the kind of language Nairalanders use on the Nairaland Forum. 2They have even taken punitive measures against us to drive home the point that they want Nairaland to be clean: no dirty language, illegal activities, etc.

As a result of this, we had no choice but to install a strong word filter to eliminate any words which are embarrassing to advertisers or not family-friendly. 3We are also putting the Sexuality section in a hidden area, because there's no family-friendly way to discuss sexuality.

You have to understand that my hands are tied. We have no choice on this matter. 4So please, any Nairalander that attempts to bypass the censorship filter in any way will be treated as a spammer. You're going to be banned both by human beings and bots.

5There are millions of topics we can discuss without having to use x-rated words. Let's focus on them!

Regards,
Seun Osewa.
Nairaland Founder & Admin[/quote]

1. Does Google own this website or is it co-owned by the both of you? Since when has Google has become a board that regulates people's speech and their opinion on how to state their comments? I still believe somewhere inside me that Google may have placed some ads on your website but it should still be your right to let your clients (in this context, users) use the website to the best of their convenience, and this should be known to your Google partners or whatever regulatory board they are.

2. What's their business with wanting Nairaland clean from such languages? Are they trying to tell you that there aren't other sites where Google places adverts that these words are used? You need to do more of your research. There are even Google-sponsored forums where I can still use the word Zap., so what's this nonsense about Google driving some bulla.ss point home?

3. If you have to put some section away just so Google won't start fuming, then I want to believe you don't own this website. And don't they know this is a website where grown people come to comment? This is not a high school forum, this is where Nigerians from all over the world come to express their views, and as beautiful as it looks, everyone wants the freedom to express themselves any way or manner they want; Google being an international company, should realize that.

4. Just say the administrative board of NL will ban anyone that bypasses your filter, don't put it on the spam-bots. Who even cares who bans who? I have come to realize that we're dealing with tyrants where NL is concerned but hey, it is what it is. Half bread is better than none. There are information I get here that I may not have got from elsewhere, so it all makes it interesting. Oga Seun, we will try and abide by your 'rules' but that doesn't make it acceptable. A Yoruba adage says, "Ka do ba'le fun arara ko ni ki a ma ga mon" (meaning that prostrating for a midget doesn't connote that I won't grow tall), suffice to say, if obeying your rules guarantees us our membership on Nairaland, so be it.

5. Yes and there are millions of topics where I might want to blast at someone and say Zap you as a grown adult, and what, Google has restricted me from saying that on Nairaland. This is a general forum, not educational nor an official forum, it is just any other forum in the world and there should be freedom of speech there and however each of us chooses to utilize that freedom. If you want to justify these word filters, you need to delete some sections completely off Nairaland.

Conclusively, let's say no to mental slavery from these western extremists. Even on Twitter people go on there to say whatever they want in whatever way they want it; same goes for Facebook, same goes for MySpace. So what makes NL so different? Because it's owned by a Nigerian?

These are my opinions and I stated them bearing in mind that Seun is the sole owner of this website, if it's otherwise, then my comments shouldn't be reckoned with as valid.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by maedan(f): 4:13am On Dec 10, 2009
Gosh, you're a long-winded fellow aren't ya?? grin grin

Me self I'm annoyed about the whole thing but I wouldn't write an essay on the topic grin!! Thanks for sharing tho'.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by TheSeeker(m): 4:16am On Dec 10, 2009
^^^ Couldn't help but point out where I feel all these motives weren't called for.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Nobody: 4:23am On Dec 10, 2009
just because you feel like saying Bleep you doesnt mean you actually have to say it.

no be oyibo word? On how many oyibo forums do they swear and use vulgarity as much as nlers/nigerians? E be like say na sailors full this place.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by TheSeeker(m): 4:26am On Dec 10, 2009
I don't have to tell you how many websites but I know there are lots where these words are being used. And because I feel like saying Zap may mean I have to say it, in your context, it may not mean so but it is different strokes for different folks. You may hate to admit it but there are many members here who are members on other forums and are used to the freedom there. Self righteousness will take us nowhere.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Nobody: 4:30am On Dec 10, 2009
^^ too much of anything is bad.

nlers own is too much for real

i havent come across any forum where users swear as much as this place. Some cant even say a simple sentence without swearing.

not even black voices or stormfront has so many cursewords as nl.

people are supposed to coat some of these things in a different way.

ah well, lets blame BET.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by maedan(f): 4:31am On Dec 10, 2009
Yah @ TheSeeker, you're free to speak your mind of course. I just feel it ain't worth the hulabaloo grin. I mean look at our nation's democracy. It's hardly a model structure - so why should this forum be any different tongue?? It's time we all go with the flow undecided tongue.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by TheSeeker(m): 4:37am On Dec 10, 2009
tpia.:

^^ too much of anything is bad.

nlers own is too much for real

i havent come across any forum where users swear as much as this place. Some cant even say a simple sentence without swearing.

not even black voices or stormfront has so many cursewords as nl.

people are supposed to coat some of these things in a different way.

ah well, lets blame BET.
No one has to blame BET. Blame it on poor lexis most people were brought up on. I can bet it that some people didn't understand proper English language all their life until a few years back, and how did most people get into the mix of these language usage, cussing. Do I still have to remind you of the mentality most Nigerians have, that to understand another man's language, you have to understand how to cuss someone out perfectly. Blame it on that, not BET.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Nobody: 5:18am On Dec 10, 2009
^^

are you alright
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by TheSeeker(m): 5:40am On Dec 10, 2009
The opposite of original is fake.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by delagasky(m): 8:48am On Dec 10, 2009
Well, Seun Osewa is entitled to his opinion and has a right to run his site anyhow he likes (even if it means sucking up to advertisers). But really, does it make sense to ban/delete/browbeat Nairalanders who have this site what it is b4 the advent of the advertisers? if this so called cussers and filthy mouths didnt hit this page as often as they do, advertisers wont know abt this site. I advice the admin to of cos have bots and software to filter any stuff tht they consider unfit, but pls dont give us the excuse that ur doing it cos of google!! because tht is exactly wat our cursd leaders do and get us into bad loans by taking stupid advice from the west!! Let pple be, the stats of ur site will speak to would-be advertisers and google wont be able to do Poo abt it!!
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by semid4lyfe(m): 9:37am On Dec 10, 2009
Testing, testing, testing:::::
Fuc.k, pus.sy, di.ck, cun.t, boo.bs, bit.ch,  etc etc

Now let me see how these x-rated words appear.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by semid4lyfe(m): 9:45am On Dec 10, 2009
Wetin come be the hullabaloo? Peeps can still use all the x-rated and vulgar words they want. All it takes is some little alteration
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Kx: 9:52am On Dec 10, 2009
semid4lyfe:

Testing, testing, testing:::::
Fuc.k, pus.sy, di.ck, cun.t, boo.bs, bit.ch, etc etc

Now let me see how these x-rated words appear.

What u did there is what i choose to call naijavation
In otherwords,we shall naijavise or 9javise some of these word
to beat them google censorship while retaining their intended meaning.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Igwe9(m): 10:11am On Dec 10, 2009
In as much as I support Google and also believe seun 'cos Google is his highest client, based on the no. of Google ads and affiliation with their search engine, I thereby implore him to do something like putting up a dictionary thread for the censored words as its quite obvious that this word censorship has been giving an entirely different meaning to some sentences on here.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Borat1: 10:39am On Dec 10, 2009
Igwe.:

In as much as I support Google and also believe seun 'cos Google is his highest client, based on the no. of Google ads and affiliation with their search engine, I thereby implore him to do something like putting up a dictionary thread for the censored words as its quite obvious that this word censorship has been giving an entirely different meaning to some sentences on here.

unmentionables! grin grin
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by semid4lyfe(m): 12:47pm On Dec 10, 2009
No need for dictionary thread for censored words. Just put a dot (.) somewhere between any curse, vulgar or xrated word you use in a post. The words retain their intended meaning & you still get your message across.
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 10, 2009
thats a good point, why ban foul languages when there are more than enuf on search results.
they are probably up to something, and seun is just not as intelligent as i thought.

this announcement is simply madness
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Borat1: 2:25pm On Dec 10, 2009
webdezzi:

thats a good point, why ban foul languages when there are more than enuf on search results.
they are probably up to something, and seun is just not as intelligent as i thought.

this announcement is simply madness

wow, thats harsh
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 10, 2009
Wow, Dis is understandable but it takes the fun out of it

@seun poster, is there no other way it can be moderated without loosing its essence?
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by dhtml16(m): 4:41pm On Dec 10, 2009
i think it is about time we get used to this censorship stuff. i have gotten used to it. Lets be decent citizens
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by No2Atheism(m): 5:06pm On Dec 10, 2009
ԁhtml:

i think it is about time we get used to this censorship stuff. i have gotten used to it. Lets be decent citizens

lipsrsealed . . . .
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by stede(m): 5:11pm On Dec 10, 2009
ԁhtml:

really!!!
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by dhtml16(m): 5:22pm On Dec 10, 2009
wait, is it so difficult to avoid swearing and all that? let us treat each other like decent brothers and sisters.
People like Pastor Ukochi of the sexuality board are models for us to follow, seriously.

Let us be sheepies so that this board can live and not perish, i am begging all of you, and please dont insult me nau
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by wendoworld(m): 5:37pm On Dec 10, 2009
@seun the only thing i fit tell you be say you can go and jump into the lagoon for all i care my man, why? becos you dey feel like say na you dey inside 1000 naira note? you made a notice about something that had to do with all of us and some people are here that did not understand what it all means, and they are asking you questions that demands answer but no you feel like you are the boss and anything you say is final, ur ego no allow you come answer the people wey dey patronise your company.u don dey too big to answer our question now? you dey scare us with ban like say if dem live only you for nairaland you go fit reach where you dey today alone, make i tell you if say na true google complain then come here make we all understand how the thing dey go. abi you believe say after you don put order down ur banning everybody go solve your problem abegy o jare the place don dey sawa already self grin
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by dhtml16(m): 5:49pm On Dec 10, 2009
@wendoworld, that was what i have been tryin to get him to do in so many ways, but no, he will not do it
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by wendoworld(m): 6:09pm On Dec 10, 2009
ԁhtml:

@wendoworld, that was what i have been tryin to get him to do in so many ways, but no, he will not do it
@dhtml bros abeg live the maga em no remember when em still dey beg people to come nairaland, now wey em don hold, em believe say he is above everybody. but seriously i dey hear of this guy since i no know say em dey pompous like this even to the people wey fit born am self abi seun think say na only small small pikin dem dey come hear wey he fit just ignore or answer any time HE likes, @seun no worry if God wan catch person na so e dey start (from pompousness) grin
Re: New Era Of Word Censorship On Nairaland by dhtml16(m): 6:44pm On Dec 10, 2009
@this rate, you may surely get banned o, no say i no warn you, talk a bit more gently, and stop swearing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

When Both Families Oppose Your Relationship / What Do You Do When A Man Asks You To Delete His Number? / What Do You Do To Get Over Emotional Stress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.