Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,963 members, 7,873,089 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:58 AM

Lagos Teachers can't speak English language - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Teachers can't speak English language (13607 Views)

Think You Can Speak English Fluently, Try This.... / If You Can Pronounce This Whole Poem, You Speak English Better Than 90% Of Us / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by nduchucks: 6:25pm On Dec 18, 2009
Impact of Local Government Corruption and Mismanagement on Primary Education and Primary Health Care in Rivers State

The report below is about Rivers state, but the conditions described can be found in almost every state.

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2007/nigeria0107/6.htm

Extracts:

When allocations are made, it is at the local government level that…they now see this money as money that has come just gratis to be shared out among political friends and members of the ruling party. The result is that after paying salaries they scarcely have enough to do anything else…When you go to remote areas and see what is there, you wonder if government even considers that they exist

Most local governments allocate funds for school rehabilitation and maintenance in their budgets. While the amount is often a tiny fraction of what is needed, even that money is often not spent in pursuit of any legitimate purpose. In most of the local governments visited by Human Rights Watch, local education officials and civil servants said that their chairmen had not renovated or repaired a single school building during their entire tenures of three years or more.

Khana local government area is situated southeast of Port Harcourt in the Ogoni region of Rivers State. An intractable dispute between Khana’s local government chairman and his legislative council left its government completely paralyzed throughout much of 2006. The origins of the dispute are contested, with both sides producing different explanations as to how it came about. The one thing both sides agree on is that the dispute began in earnest with the local government’s failure to pass a budget for 2006.

The chairman, Kingsley Leh, alleges that the legislative council refused to pass his budget because he would not pay the substantial bribes they had demanded in exchange for their votes. Leh’s press secretary told Human Rights Watch that the entire controversy came about because Leh took a principled stand as a man who has always “refused to pay a bribe to any person.”180

The councilors who rose up against the chairman tell a different story, alleging that Leh never submitted a budget for 2006 to them at all. They also claim that the chairman had channeled large sums of money into dubious or non-existent projects and diverted other revenues directly into his own pockets. He is alleged to have passed some of that stolen money on to thugs he used to enforce his will in Khana

Pitiful, read the rest yourselves.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Justcash(m): 6:28pm On Dec 18, 2009
Spot the difference embarassed angry

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 6:28pm On Dec 18, 2009
the man who built the 2 storey building school in lagos, mudashiru die a poor man, it is not about money but changing people life/  do you remember, the former NFA chairman father Tito. whiteman die poor serving nigeria , while nigerian die rich serving nigeria
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Justcash(m): 6:31pm On Dec 18, 2009
becomrich,:

When I told you that the north use to generate income before now, you may not believe. It is before the leaders in the north became bad. Now they do not think like balewa and others on how to generate income or make thier people lifes better.

They marry new wife and give thier children to rich northerner while others suffer. And you said I cant be president. Watch and see. I intend to post all bribes and disgrace any barawo who try to run with me until I become president. Sowore is ready.

His Royal "HIGHNESS". You dey make me high. grin grin grin cheesy grin
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Justcash(m): 6:34pm On Dec 18, 2009
Our Future. Kai!!!! embarassed I am scared

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by mamagee3(f): 6:35pm On Dec 18, 2009
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AloyEmeka9: 6:35pm On Dec 18, 2009
Justcash:

Our Future. Kai!!!!   embarassed I am scared

This one is not too bad. They are in assembly and not a classroom in that picture.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AloyEmeka9: 6:36pm On Dec 18, 2009
mama-gee:

Is this a school? shocked shocked

One of the best posted so far.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 6:38pm On Dec 18, 2009
And the same people who have been there for 10 years says they want to continue to rule and make people suffer.

And some of you people claim , because a person is a northerner , you must support him and let your suferring continue. Do you people have brain.?
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Justcash(m): 6:39pm On Dec 18, 2009
Some Nigerian Children abroad.

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 6:41pm On Dec 18, 2009
All you lifes have become worst than even I was thinking, I see why there is now over 1000 nigerian churches in the USA only.  I believe we can fix this, by removing BARAWO from power.   Join Operation Remove Barawo 2011  (OREBA 2011)  aka Operation heaven on earth.

Awolowo policy was 25 children per class.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 18, 2009

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

This  is just not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 6:50pm On Dec 18, 2009
Do you people still have playground like we did.?
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Justcash(m): 6:53pm On Dec 18, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

This one is not too bad. They are in assembly and not a classroom in that picture.

Man the school look pathetic. Maybe it's because it's been a long time I saw a primary school's environment that looks like that.
How will those children learn? Things were better back in the days.

Our children need to learn in this type of environment.

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by mamagee3(f): 6:55pm On Dec 18, 2009
^^Is that a school or a house? undecided
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 7:00pm On Dec 18, 2009
In yorubaland. Chief Obafemi awolowo tried to copy the same thing he saw in the UK in yorubaland.  but he wanted to be president to do it all over nigeria. They refused because he was not from thier ethnic group. He was called all names.  look they arrested him and tried him for treason and send him to jail. Some have told me, I may end up in jail for trying to chance the system. I would take my chances. it is one of the risk of leadership.

Look even some of the igbos who called him names all moved thier children from igboland to come and enjoy chief Obafemi Awolowo vision. That was why Ojukwu called him the best president nigeria never had.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Justcash(m): 7:04pm On Dec 18, 2009
mama-gee:

^^Is that a school or a house? undecided

I meant to show the Serenity of the environment. Not the Building. The atmosphere suites Nigeria.
If I wanted to show a building, Nigerian Children are not allergic to the type of building below

Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AloyEmeka9: 7:27pm On Dec 18, 2009
FL Gators:

I don't see anything wrong with that picture. The school may not be all that but it's about the best in the list of dilapidated Naija schools. They have a desk, the class is not over populated and the kids look well taken care of; what else do you want?
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 7:34pm On Dec 18, 2009
There is something wrong, because we went to a better school system in Nigeria, why should the next generation not go to good school.

If awolowo had stole all the money and brought private jet for himself or private hospital abroad. Do you think he would provide the same life style for his people.

It is not that we can not have a good system, we just have bad leaders and if we do not change them, we would be the same way forever. Look if Nigeria leaders rules America, the USA would end up looking like this. ask any nigerian.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by OAM4J: 9:42pm On Dec 18, 2009
I weep for Nigeria. this is TOTALLY BAD. It is very unfair. This is the future of Nigeria in jeopardy. God have mercy! cry
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by 4Play(m): 10:23pm On Dec 18, 2009
FL Gators:

Is that not you in the front row? grin
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by becomrich15: 10:40pm On Dec 18, 2009
with this pictures I can now says I should be president, if life have become so bad for you people. I am far far better to be president.

una hear so.  God what the hell? So even when oil price when up as $60 they still do not want to use it for the people.

This people no go die better O. This people are children of satan, evil men.  pure barawo.

This pictures are so so sad. I have to close my eyes
Can nairaland just remove this pictures please, make una no let oyibo see this. shame on your leaders. And someone says they would beg them to come back to power , with this pictures. I am next President.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by gongoaso1: 10:51pm On Dec 18, 2009
@the Naija School Pictures
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
       JESUS WEPT
               cry

pathetic to say the least
angry
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by software(m): 10:56pm On Dec 18, 2009
na their fault?
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Princek12(m): 11:03pm On Dec 18, 2009
If people who schooled in Europe and America, among others, are shocked by the calamity of the pictures, then I can understand. But for people who schooled in Nigeria to act as if these same conditions were nonexistent when they went to school is to deny reality. Perhaps, the only difference from the classrooms in the pictures and the ones which were back in the day is that the olden classrooms had more desks and the floor had concrete instead of sand, but that's about it. I can understand that many diaspora Nigerians who schooled in deficient classrooms comparable to the ones in the pictures have been accustomed to seeing aesthetically sound and well furnished classrooms, so the picture of a classroom that is similarly situated to the classroom in which they schooled while they grew up now becomes offensive to them.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Nija4Life(m): 11:28pm On Dec 18, 2009
Instead of the Deputy Gov blaming teachers for the poor education pupils are receiving, I think that blame should be heaped on the door steps of the Government, past or present. The question that should be asked is 'do these teachers pass through a reputable teacher training programme? If so what is the standard of training provided? Does it conform to International standard? If not whose responsibility it is to quality assure the process? How much has the government spent on infrastructure, books, teaching resources, IT etc?' Unforunately in Nigeria we don't do 'taking responsibility', when things ain't working it is somebody's fault. Education is an expensive business anywhere in the world that requires a great commitment in funding and expertise in order to recapture the good standards of the past let alone catch up with the rest of the world.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Ifez: 12:14am On Dec 19, 2009

“Anywhere I go, I get complaints that our teachers can’t speak English. We should improve and that is why we are here. Our primary school teachers must upgrade their knowledge. Many of them are not doing so.They should work on themselves,” Sosan directed.

Of course, what else do you expect? With the pittance you pay school teachers, who else do you think would want to take on such a job? If teachers go and better themselves, they will quickly take on better jobs in oil companies, banks, etc.
If you want good teachers and great teaching, you should revamp the whole Nigerian educational system.
Just wait till this whole issue get to the higher educational institution level. The current lecturers (ASUU) we have now are getting old. Who do you think will take their place in the future? Aliens? Of course it will be the kids of today that are being taught by these present day non-correct-sentence-writing primary school teachers!

According to her, “lots of pupils are no longer coming to our schools, unlike 10 years ago. The problem is qualitative teaching. We hear that some teachers, especially in Epe, don’t come to school at all. God is watching us.

Please, if you taught in a Govt school in Nigeria during NYSC, raise your hand. What do you think is the main cause of the lackadaisical attitude of the teachers? If you were paid for teaching in the school, every month, and on time, too, please come out now and bear testimony.
Rubbish!

“We are not expecting man to reward us. We need to put the fear of God in everything we do. Whether people are watching us or not, do the right thing. Let people have faith in our schools again.
Please tell that to the Govt and the educational board and minster of education. Let them do their part and provide an attractive compensation for teachers. You will see how many talented and well-learned individuals will flock into the educational system if things are done right.

The teaching job in Nigeria is such that, only those (females especially) who couldn't make their correct papers in WAEC and couldn't get a RICH husband, take on such jobs. Go ahead, do a survey and see if I'm wrong! What are they expecting? That graduates with first class honors will come and sit down in Epe, Nguru, Oturkpo, Kafanchan, Bukuru, Gombe, Abeokuta, Oshogbo, Jebba, Zungeri, etc, and be collecting whatever pittance they pay school teachers these days? Many of them would also be severely mocked by pupils and students for daring to come to class in tattered shirts, patched trousers, and weather-beaten shoes.

They are coming here to use the "Fear of God" on us. How come they don't have the so-called "Fear of God" in their own hearts while carting away all the money designated for education and looting all the school infrastructures and amenities for their own personal gain? Where are all the money, books, computers and classroom furniture donated to Nigerian schools by concerned companies and Student Alumni Organizations? WHERE DID THEY ALL GO?

“If teachers are doing their work, we won’t get bad results. Pupils perform poorly because teachers are not doing what they are supposed to do,” she said, adding that the various education secretaries who were expected to monitor the schools had failed.

BIG LIE!!! It should be: "If Govt is doing its job, we won't get bad teachers and, therefore, won't get bad results." At least she blamed part of it on the educational secretaries.

Believe it or not, students wonder why the really talented teachers teach. they are surprised that such great teachers don't go to find jobs in Engineering Firms and Oil Companies. These good teachers always say they love teaching and would like to give knowledge back to the system that bestowed them with it. But now, those teachers have wizened up. They've realized that no matter how great they are, or how well-intentioned their reason for teaching is, the Govt will not give much of a damn. They only listen when ASUU goes on strike. Many of these teachers have long since departed and gone on to seek better futures in other job sectors.

See the state of our Federal Schools (once unity schools). They are just deplorable.
See the govt schools--primary and secondary alike. Nothing to write home about.
See the state of our Universities. God help us!

In short, this whole thing is too sad and disgraceful to behold! This our country--na wa o!

I seriously pity the future of the next generation kids, because, by the time they get to the University level, the lecturers there will be speaking:
"I doesn't rike what you are does. Prease, shapes up."
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Ifez: 12:16am On Dec 19, 2009
Nija4Life:

Instead of the Deputy Gov blaming teachers for the poor education pupils are receiving, I think that blame should be heaped on the door steps of the Government, past or present. The question that should be asked is 'do these teachers pass through a reputable teacher training programme? If so what is the standard of training provided? Does it conform to International standard? If not whose responsibility it is to quality assure the process? How much has the government spent on infrastructure, books, teaching resources, IT etc?' Unforunately in Nigeria we don't do 'taking responsibility', when things ain't working it is somebody's fault. Education is an expensive business anywhere in the world that requires a great commitment in funding and expertise in order to recapture the good standards of the past let alone catch up with the rest of the world.

THANK YOU!!!
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by AzukaNze: 12:43am On Dec 19, 2009
Oga Becomrich, thanks for your views but I am not comfortable with your level of grammar. Don't take offence - I don't mean to ridicule you. Did you say you studied at UniIlorin years ago? I have followed your posts on this educational topic and all of them are riddled with errors. If we are complaining about the terrible educational system we have now, what you have in your posts here even give one cause for concern. Unless you intentionally wrote them wrongly to make readers laugh!

becomrich,:

with this pictures I can now says I should be president, if life have become so bad for you people. I am far far better to be president.

una hear so. God what the hell? So even when oil price when up as $60 they still do not want to use it for the people.

This people no go die better O. This people are children of satan, evil men. pure barawo.

This pictures are so so sad. I have to close my eyes
Can nairaland just remove this pictures please, make una no let oyibo see this. shame on your leaders. And someone says they would beg them to come back to power , with this pictures
. I am next President.
[/quote]

becomrich,:

There is something wrong, because we went to a better school system in Nigeria, why should the next generation not go to good school.

If awolowo had stole all the money and brought private jet for himself or private hospital abroad. Do you think he would provide the same life style for his people.

It is not that we can not have a good system, we just have bad leaders and if we do not change them, we would be the same way forever. Look if Nigeria leaders rules America, the USA would end up looking like this. ask any nigerian.

[quote author=becomrich, link=topic=368067.msg5141656#msg5141656 date=1261157299]
the man who built the 2 storey building school in lagos, mudashiru die a poor man, it is not about money but changing people life/ do you remember, the former NFA chairman father Tito. whiteman die poor serving nigeria , while nigerian die rich serving nigeria
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by olalekan1(m): 1:14am On Dec 19, 2009
Our Education will continue to move from worst to worse until we use our own mother tongue language to teach and lecture our students. Students understood their mother tongue more than any other Language. Imagine a student that is being taught English Language and who has not even improve in the learning process and you are using the same English to teach him mathematics or any other subject. Tell me how can he understand the maths when he dont understand English Language itself. It applies to all students. Sometimes one will have to translate a language into monther tongue and finally understood it.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by FunkyDany: 1:33am On Dec 19, 2009
If they can speak good english who is responsible for this, who are going to blame? Who employed them.
Re: Lagos Teachers can't speak English language by Princek12(m): 2:17am On Dec 19, 2009
olalekan1:

Our Education will continue to move from worst to worse until we use our own mother tongue language to teach and lecture our students. Students understood their mother tongue more than any other Language. Imagine a student that is being taught English Language and who has not even improve in the learning process and you are using the same English to teach him mathematics or any other subject. Tell me how can he understand the maths when he dont understand English Language itself. It applies to all students. Sometimes one will have to translate a language into monther tongue and finally understood it.
So are you implying that teachers should use their native tongue, say Yoruba, to teach English, Maths, Geography, etc, to students?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Uniben Remita RRR Code Generation/payment – How It Work / Covenant University 17th Anniversary Is Today / About Futminna Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.