Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,861 members, 7,912,346 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 07:20 AM

Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! (17019 Views)

How Do I Tell My Colleague She Has Mouth Odor? / Nigerian Lady In The US Army Confused Her Colleague With Pidgin English / Help!!! My Colleague Is Stealing Our Company's Money And Changing Records (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by pkang: 8:03am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:
I love my job, my Boss and my colleagues. As an Accountant, our job requires that we sit long hours on our computers updating the Companies expenditure and asset database. however, there is a challenge.

My department colleague is hardly on sit during working hours. he loves to leave to chat, socialize and even do personal runs during work. I have tried to help him severally by discussing (one-on-one) as par 'man to man', but no effect. He is simple and very intelligent but not focused because he is to playful. This has affected our department's output severally, as personally I discussed this matter with the HR, my own Boss and other familiar Bosses, but all seem not to be too concerned. They just sympathize. I love my work, we are well paid and really doing well as a company.

Please kindly advice me on what to do

Are u people sharing d same system and or are u both to doing d same work and he is leaving all the work for u.
U c, some boys have bought the minds of their bosses in their place of work not with money but with words of mouth.
I am going through this now in my place of work.
Funniest thing is the my Boss marries the sister to this guy. After much of endurance I decided to be taking the risk he is taking. This risk always hunt me but I started. If the guy comes by 3 instead of our normal 2pm next day I come by 3:30pm.
If he miss a day, I miss a day also. If he is to resume in the morning and calls me to cover him in the morning I will and the next day miss my turn.
Although I don't have anything that will be keeping me at home while it's time to work but, I need to play the game he is playing. Right now, I am planning to be missing my shift till he adjust.
The bad side tho is that when he does his own I won't complain to anyone but when I do mine he, complains to almost everyone that others are seeing me as a bad fellow. My Boss also is favoring him as the manager is also from his state.
My advise tho if u are doing separate work concentrate on yours and leave his but if u share the same work flex too. No kill urself in silence. It is good also to have one of the heads at ur side. But if u r introvert u might not win except u up ur game wella.
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by shreck(m): 8:04am On Mar 31, 2017
Make sure to itemise every single thing you do each day and save somewhere.
The evil day will come, do not report or advice anyone.
My write up alone will give your an idea I know what coperate environment entails.
The shitttt will definitely hit the fan soon.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by kkboy(m): 8:09am On Mar 31, 2017
Apply the Bible principle.
If one finger will make you go to hell, cut it off.
If his attitude will bring down the productivity of your section report him to the management.
By reporting him probably he will be cautioned and you may have indirectly saved his job and and reposition him, but if you keep quite one day his pranks will be discovered and he may be fired and even make you too to be fired.
Remember "I told you friend is better than I would have told you friend"
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Aladine(m): 8:10am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:
I love my job, my Boss and my colleagues. As an Accountant, our job requires thado
You guys are not getting the OPs point..when you work in an organisation where the output is measured by a teams performance ypu would understand the dilemma. Have you been somehere where what your team memebers do determine the results you have? A single team member can drag the whole team down if he or ahe is not doing their own share of the work. Everyone needs to now work extra hard to cover the lapses which would have been useful energy to do other things. If you have 4 legs for a table and one is crooked or broken you know the table will loose balance. Its imperative every one work together to produce a better result. Team work is very important and each one needs to know and do their responsibilities. OP i sympathise with you and i know the feeling..but know one thing..keep doing your work and continue to add value..a man with value can never be discarded..when you leave this job there are two things that can never be taken from you..your experience and your network
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Silvererazer(m): 8:11am On Mar 31, 2017
Oga mind your business.. You discuss it with him, You discuss it with your Boss's.

What do you want to do again? tell me

Go and tell your Pastor

wowgist:

But it is not bad to help our fellow colleagues...
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by joinnow: 8:16am On Mar 31, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

What drugs are you on ?? Stupidity pills ??

Are you his employer ??

Do you pay his salary ??

Has anyone complained about your inability to be financially stable ?? No, because the have a life

Do you find it difficult minding your own business ??

I hate people because of people like you

I think you miss this Part

This has affected our department's output severally.
In accounting department just One person mistake, omission etc can affect the whole department.
From what I deduce his colleagues performance is negatively affecting the End month account cycle.
Is like he is the weakest link in the account department chain. Instead of his colleagues to glue his ass to the sit and do his work well and on-time. No worries Hr will get to him.
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Nobody: 8:18am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:
I love my job, my Boss and my colleagues. As an Accountant, our job requires that we sit long hours on our computers updating the Companies expenditure and asset database. however, there is a challenge.

My department colleague is hardly on sit during working hours. he loves to leave to chat, socialize and even do personal runs during work. I have tried to help him severally by discussing (one-on-one) as par 'man to man', but no effect. He is simple and very intelligent but not focused because he is to playful. This has affected our department's output severally, as personally I discussed this matter with the HR, my own Boss and other familiar Bosses, but all seem not to be too concerned. They just sympathize. I love my work, we are well paid and really doing well as a company.

Mind your business thats what you need to do
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by pkang: 8:19am On Mar 31, 2017
hisgrace090:

You sound like one this cancaworm eating down our country, so you support he continue staying idle when one did the job meant for both?
I smell Nigerian pattern here. Collecting salary without working, this why we are this awkward.

My problem tho is that maybe these guys are not sharing the same work which makes the guy jealous. But if they are sharing the same work, he should try and leave also when the other is on seat. This will bring to the notice of the organization and maybe both of them be called to order. Except the other has the backing of the management.
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by mctowel01: 8:19am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:

Dont let me call you a foolish man. This is the height of not minding your business. if the bosses are unconcerned, what is your own? Honestly, you deserve a slap to keep your focus in line.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by lastmaster(m): 8:20am On Mar 31, 2017
why yu carry person matter for head like gala? why can't you mind your business?

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Reptyle(m): 8:22am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:

You have done the right thing by informing your boss and the HR person.

Now leave the guy the heck alone, focus on your own job and stop helping him mind his business.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Moving4: 8:23am On Mar 31, 2017
Help how! Are we d management of ur company?

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by vislabraye(m): 8:24am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:

I guess his attitude is also affecting your performance. May be u should change your department/unit if possible.
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by napoleon77(m): 8:29am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:

But it is not bad to help our fellow colleagues...

Help with what? Did he tell you he needs help? Is his line Manager complaining? Is HR complaining?

What happens to his work when he isn't on seat? Is it left undone or someone else takes over?
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by aamstih: 8:33am On Mar 31, 2017
Hello,

Something seems amiss, pls throw more light on the below enquiries

1. Is your Appraisal/ productivity assesed collectively or as single entities?

2. Does your job description (daily tasks) need some collaboration from his part or vice versa?

3. Who amongst both of you is older in the organization?

wowgist:

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Rolandken(m): 8:36am On Mar 31, 2017
@op Why are you taking panadol for another person's headache? As long as his behaviour isnt directly affecting you, and you have informed the HR and your bosses who dont mind, then mind your work.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by LOVEGINO(m): 8:36am On Mar 31, 2017
I can see u don't have problem and u are desperately looking for one. May god answer ur prayer.
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by ipobbigot7: 8:39am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:

If the company is not disturbed about his working attitude i don't see why you should be concerned.

Why not just face your own job and do it.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by LilSmith55(m): 8:41am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:

U knw no weda ur colleague na Piking of the Close friend to the Owner of the Company,.... So, MYB and face ur own work..

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Cynthyworld(f): 8:47am On Mar 31, 2017
c d way she even write Help ma colleague is.... as if na one kind serious mata
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by ehix89(m): 8:48am On Mar 31, 2017
For all those preaching the mind your business message, he simply can't mind his business cause they are in same team and he can't shoulder all responsibilities alone, failure on his colleague's part will be labelled as a collective failure, mind you not everyone likes to fail, My advise: talk to him like a brother, if he wouldn't take heed, report him to appropriate authority, I believe they will do the needful.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by nenergy(m): 8:49am On Mar 31, 2017
The replies to this post are irresponsible. What's his business? Is he his boss? Panadol and headache? Look, go to the job section and see people who would die for a 30k job and someone is there playing with his to the detriment of a department's output. OP, your concern is noble, but its time to FREE him. He probably bribes his superiors hence their leniency. Some higher oga will notice, then it will be too late. Please do stop doing his job. Success!!!

"Is not my business" is one of the major issues with the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by pinkhill(f): 8:57am On Mar 31, 2017
You want them to sack him?

Face your job and leave him alone.
wowgist:

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by deflover(m): 8:58am On Mar 31, 2017
You are evil trying to sound nice
U talked with him man to man
E no do u
U carry mata to his boss and other boss
U go HR

Abi am I d only one noticing all this can get him sacked
U are d definition of evil
Stop trying to sound nice

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by datizy(f): 9:04am On Mar 31, 2017
Please mind your business o. Don't go and start what you cannot finish. Leave him to his business..

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Princewell2012(m): 9:05am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:

Hmm but is this supposed to be your business? do your job and leave the rest.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Stylz69(m): 9:08am On Mar 31, 2017
You should face your work and stop minding your colleagues business!

1 Like

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Princewell2012(m): 9:14am On Mar 31, 2017
sainty2k3:
IF it affects you, may be you have to Do his work or so, then u can complain. If not just talk to him and ur immediate superior and continue Your Own work

But does he needs all that? Let him minds his business, simple.
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by Omolola1(f): 9:27am On Mar 31, 2017
I am not understanding, how is it any of your business?
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by bigtt76(f): 9:28am On Mar 31, 2017
He probably knows someone more powerful than your bosses or HR grin ....Let go and live your life bro before den sack you instead cheesy

wowgist:

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by ebenezf: 9:51am On Mar 31, 2017
wowgist:

I think he feels you can take care of all responsibility of work. Maybe all along you've always shouldered your responsibility at work by yourself and not shared it; It is high you make him understand his responsibility and yours also. I have colleague who likes playing the good boy at work. if any query comes at work he would always like to do it all alone without involving or sharing task with me. Recently he started complaining and even complained to our boss, but I made them to understand what I just discussed. Where there is no responsibility people become irresponsible! Give him responsibility and stop taking the lead if you've been doing that.
Re: Help! My Colleague Is Never On Sit During Working Hours, What Should I Do?!! by makizee(m): 9:54am On Mar 31, 2017
Except his truancy is adding to your own work load, i see no reason why this should bother you, do your job and mind your business bro....Bope Boya, HR will notice and do the needful.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Get Sacked From Your Workplace? / Olutoyin Olakunrin Slumps And Dies In Church (First Female Chartered Accountant) / Finding A Place For Industrial Attachment: Requests, Placements & Volunteering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.