Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:46 AM

Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails (19143 Views)

Buhari Swears In Board Members Of North-East Development Commission (Photos) / Senate Passes South-East Development Commission Bill / South East Development Commission Bill Excites Lawmakers (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Timbuktuo: 9:44am On Jun 02, 2017
jenigurl:
If there's one thing I can candidly say...(don't beat me o)
Ibos are actually not treated fault .
Have a childhood pal who is ok and one thing I can say is, they are given the short end of the stick.

Though I don't think they should leave but maybe we need to honestly ask some questions.
I think one of the hardest things is being ibo in Nigeria.

If someone is happy somewhere hey won't want to leave that's a fact.

Yeah most of the desires can be unrealistic but they really have alot of valid arguments .

Thing is shouting, insulting and hurting them won't help achieve one Nigeria...if you look at the global political history it won't be hard to see that the way the government is going about this will only eventually draw massive international support for the ibos it's inevitable.

Except president osibanjo tackles this with tact. Anyways I have faith in him.

Just saying

Madam, please, enlighten us ignorant folk. What is this wicked and unfair treatment igbos receive in Nigeria. You can't just say they are being maltreated. Furnish us with proof and examples. That your igbo friend, what are they suffering from that Nigeria is meting on them?

8 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Guyman02: 9:45am On Jun 02, 2017
bkool7:

Alias !

Lemme refresh your memory
When the bill to grant special recognition to Lagos came , didn't your senators vote against it?
Now you wanna have your own....really ?!
Sorry , that's not how politics works . You sratch my back , I scratch yours . You don't scratch mine; well you, know what's up

South East Senators supported the Special Recognition for Lagos bill because it benefits their people who have a large population based in Lagos, it was Northern Senators who opposed it, stop lying in public or give us a link to any SE Senator that opposed it

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by ephi321(f): 9:46am On Jun 02, 2017
ProWalker:

This is the beginning of the more fatal consequences of Biafra noise.
Your favorite candidate lost an election badly, move on and map out strategies for next election and not disturbing the peace of the nation and making the country ungovernable for the admin.

Interesting you used the word "ungovernable". There is only one person who is known to have used that word, Buhari. So maybe subconsciously you are trying to say something else.

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by jp79: 9:47am On Jun 02, 2017
one thing you should know is that the afonjas- including my self- are tired of you
if I have my way , I will spearheaded your exodus out of Nigeria. am tired of your boasting, please leave our zoo for us

8 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by FriendNG: 9:48am On Jun 02, 2017
ephi321:

So why was a similar bill passed for the North? I can see you are trying to be sarcastic, but you've failed.

A similar bill to establish the North- East Development Commission had since been passed by the National Assembly, awaiting the assent of President Muhammadu Buhari.

If you can still ask this question then you haven't read my post.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Chamboor(m): 9:48am On Jun 02, 2017
The southwest senators supported the bill yet my Igbo brothers will still insult us, the SE senators voted against the Lagos special status bill but supported the Northeast development commission bill,who is fooling who?? S.E senators should step up their game ,stay clear from politics of east vs west but rather unite to form an alliance in the hallow chamber..

10 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by ephi321(f): 9:51am On Jun 02, 2017
FriendNG:

If you can still ask this question then you haven't read my post.

I have read it, you were trying to be sarcastic to make your point, but it fell flat.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Aburi001: 9:51am On Jun 02, 2017
FriendNG:
Two Reasons Make The Bill To Fail:

1. They Igbo (PDP) refuse to build bridges with other members, they choose to buid walls. Who do you expect to support this bill: The illiterate Ab0ki or the Ewedu eating brown teeth Afonjas. You have fight with every every.

2. The bill is uncalled for. The southeast is Paradise, Biafrans have developed it. Those kinda of bills is meant for the poverty backward illiterate north or northeast specifically. We already have commision for the backward northest, remain commission for backward northwest, followed by Northcentral.

The north must be drag from 1960 to 2017 and that's what Emir of Kano Sunusi is calling for.
And the IPOB clamoring for the Biafra Nation encourage the Northern Senators to hit the final nail on its coffin

1 Like

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Odingo1: 9:54am On Jun 02, 2017
Chamboor:
The southwest senators supported the bill yet my Igbo brothers will still insult us, the SE senators voted against the Lagos special status bill but supported the Northeast development commission bill,who is fooling who?? S.E senators should step up their game ,stay clear from politics of east vs west but rather unite to form an alliance in the hallow chamber..

They did not,the bill was amended to add two more state,what they are saying is that lagos should not be only state in Nigeria that will have a special status,the adding of Kano and Anambra to the special status state is the best.You people will not gain anything if lagos continue to be the only big city in Nigeria.
Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by jp79: 9:55am On Jun 02, 2017
many of us makes comments base on our emotions, unverified information and our tribal leaning.
I was once told that as humans, we don't have one thought, mind and reasons that is why we have politics.
it is d sponsors of d bill that fail to convince others and not tribal sentiment
Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by FriendNG: 9:55am On Jun 02, 2017
ephi321:

I have read it, you were trying to be sarcastic to make your point, but it fell flat.

But the reasons are there: We build bridges with other members and eventually they support it.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by ephi321(f): 9:57am On Jun 02, 2017
FriendNG:

But the reasons are there: We build bridges with other members and eventually they support it.

Every part of the country is entitled to development. Stop hiding under the guise of "not building bridges" to support an unfair act.
The SE is still a part of Nigeria at this current moment, still contributes to its coffers, and so should be entitled to what any other region is entitled to.

That is fairness. One of the key things lacking in this country.

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 02, 2017
undecided
Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by buchilino(m): 9:59am On Jun 02, 2017
FriendNG:
We will not give you Biafra, come fight us if you can.

Biafra will never be achieved by your insults and chestbeating until you learn your ways.

FINALLY, U GUYS R NOW SHOWING UR TRUE NATURE IN PUBLIC. I KNEW IT WAS A MATTER OF TIME B4 D MASK WILL BE REMOVED.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by sanandreas(m): 9:59am On Jun 02, 2017
The rest of the country is silent. These northerners are the just using our money for upkeep and marrying more wives. The VAT from industries in the South will be used to develop NE. Have the North ever helped us before. I see bad times ahead. I strongly believe Nigeria won't last up to a decade. Injustice rules the land. Freedom is near.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by buchilino(m): 10:01am On Jun 02, 2017
jp79:
many of us makes comments base on our emotions, unverified information and our tribal leaning.
I was once told that as humans, we don't have one thought, mind and reasons that is why we have politics.
it is d sponsors of d bill that fail to convince others and not tribal sentiment

WEN IGBOS SPEAK IT BECOMES TRIBAL BUT WEN OTHERS COMPLAIN, NO PROBLEM.

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Chamboor(m): 10:01am On Jun 02, 2017
Guyman02:

South East Senators supported the Special Recognition for Lagos bill because it benefits their people who have a large population based in Lagos, it was Northern Senators who opposed it, stop lying in public or give us a link to any SE Senator that opposed it

http://tribuneonlineng.com/rowdy-session-senators-shoot-special-status-bill-lagos/
http://sunnewsonline.com/commotion-as-senators-reject-special-status-bill-for-lagos/

That's it bro, read and comprehend..SE senators should form a strong alliance with the SW senators,

1 Like

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by ceecee0703(m): 10:01am On Jun 02, 2017
bkool7:

Is there a war in the SE ?
I assume there are IDPs in the SE , right ?
which war some religious and political bullsh1t?... if we really want to have a true nation what is good for the north is good for the east, after the civil war what was done to rebuild the destroyed south east? then some self inflicted religious trash in the northeast the whole country will suffer to rebuild the northeast. Now check the revenue of this same north east and the relegated South-East you will still find another reason why the south easterners want to leave the country for their own country which is justifiable. "train a man so well that he wants to leave btr treat him nicely that he wouldn't want to leave" thats what Nigeria should do to every part of the country and we would leave in peace who doesnt like peace.

5 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by sekundosekundo: 10:02am On Jun 02, 2017
FriendNG:

We own the UN. We have Us, UK, China, France, Germany are sympathetic to Nigeria + Amina who is UN Duputy Sec Gen. We own UN.

Clap for yourself that the world is sympathetic to your country.
Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by sekundosekundo: 10:05am On Jun 02, 2017
Chamboor:

Your bill was rejected b'cos section 164 (1) was against it.
Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by maximilano: 10:05am On Jun 02, 2017
This bill is uncalled for, all what they seek can be done with the allocation they get if their governors can be honest with it. There is no need for a development commission as there is no insurgency or environmental degradation due to exploitation or exploration of natural resources.
Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Mujtahida: 10:06am On Jun 02, 2017
nwabobo:

The commission would be funded from seven sources.

The first is through “15 per cent” of the total monthly statutory allocations due to member states of the commission from the Federation Account.

The second source, he explained, would be from “three per cent” of the total budget of any oil-producing company operating onshore and offshore in the South-East states, including gas processing companies.

The third source is from “three per cent” of the total annual budget of any solid mineral extracting or mining company operating in the South-East.

The fourth source will come through “50 per cent” of money due to member states of the commission from the Ecological Fund.

Five to seven of the funding sources are ”Such monies as may, from time to time, be granted or lent to or be deposited with the commission by the Federal Government or a state government, any other body or institution, whether local or foreign.

“All monies raised for the purpose of the commission by way of gifts, loans, grants-in-aid, testamentary disposition or otherwise.

“Proceeds from all other assets that may, from time to time, accrue to the commission.”

The injustice in this country is heartbreaking. It's just a matter of time. We say let us sit down and talk, they say no. Allow those who want out to go, they no. Well, well, I got news for them:those who make peaceful change impossible make violent changes inevitable.

The day cometh when nature will pass her irrevocable and uncompromising decree, for evil cannot constantly reorganise itself. It must break down at one point or the other.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 02, 2017
ephi321:

Interesting you used the word "ungovernable". There is only one person who is known to have used that word, Buhari. So maybe subconsciously you are trying to say something else.

How long would you keep spreading that lie? it was NOT buhari that said he would make Nigeria ungovernable it was alhaji lawal kaita who was and is still a member of pdp!

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by maximilano: 10:09am On Jun 02, 2017
ceecee0703:

which war some religious and political bullsh1t?... if we really want to have a true nation what is good for the north is good for the east, after the civil war what was done to rebuild the destroyed south east? then some self inflicted religious trash in the northeast the whole country will suffer to rebuild the northeast. Now check the revenue of this same north east and the relegated South-East you will still find another reason why the south easterners want to leave the country for their own country which is justifiable. "train a man so well that he wants to leave btr treat him nicely that he wouldn't want to leave" thats what Nigeria should do to every part of the country and we would leave in peace who doesnt like peace.
I am not understanding o......so now the SE want to emulate the Northerners the called backward? Last time I checked SE was paradise... Lol

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by FriendNG: 10:13am On Jun 02, 2017
ephi321:

Every part of the country is entitled to development. Stop hiding under the guise of "not building bridges" to support an unfair act.
The SE is still a part of Nigeria at this current moment, still contributes to its coffers, and so should be entitled to what any other region is entitled to.

That is fairness. One of the key things lacking in this country.

I agree with you every part deserve fairness but this was done in National Assembly. And it is a matter of majority, you build bridges with other even before you move the motion. But happen? The sponsor of the motion wasn't even present.

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by ceecee0703(m): 10:13am On Jun 02, 2017
maximilano:

I am not understanding o......so now the SE want to emulate the Northerners the called backward? Last time I checked SE was paradise... Lol

sometimes i wonder why graduates or undergraduates i presume smart are so dull intellectually...even Dubai that has monumental structures is still being developed, abuja that is assumed developed is still being developed. Read my text properly and borrow sense.

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by leviaka: 10:14am On Jun 02, 2017
[quote author=wirinet post=57106784]

The Senate on Thursday passed a bill to establish the North-East Development Commission (NEDC) to be partly funded by;
1. 3 per cent of Value Added Taxes accruable to the Federal Government.

2. 15 per cent of allocation to the states

3. 50 per cent deduction of the ecological fund due to the six North Eastern states.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/senate-passes-bill-establishing-north-east-development-commission/

Please note;
About 70% of total VAT is generated from Lagos.
Allocation to the states and ecological fund is hand outs of oil revenue
The truth of the matter is we have nothing in common with you people
It's just a matter of time b4 Nigeria disintegrate , and y are notherners afraid of disintegration? It's bcs they will be poor their faith is awaiting them and the Yoruba's
As an Igbo man, SE commission or not we are not the poorest in Nigeria so this should not be an issue
The generation of Igbo's born after the civil war are wiser we have prepared our minds for any eventualities
But I will never encourage any of my generations to invest outside the SE, their country Nigeria is a failed state visit any yorobbers and northern villagers and also visit Igbo villages and compare
This parasitic regions cant survive without stealing oil
Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by muchkay(m): 10:14am On Jun 02, 2017
Nigeria as it is presently structured has expired
Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Chamboor(m): 10:18am On Jun 02, 2017
Odingo1:

They did not,the bill was amended to add two more state,what they are saying is that lagos should not be only state in Nigeria that will have a special status,the adding of Kano and Anambra to the special status state is the best.You people will not gain anything if lagos continue to be the only big city in Nigeria.

Thank you sir, the SW senators did not cry foul whereas this bill will benefit not only Lagos but Nigeria as a nation due to the Economic position of Lagos and large influx of migration of other tribes into the center of excellence.. U cited adding adding Kano and anambra to the special status state will be the best, Adding SOUTHWEST DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION,NORTHCENTRAL DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION,NORTHWEST DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION won't be bad idea either..
One of the senators from the Southeast said he will not support the Lagos special status bill because if voted in other states will start calling for finances and support, I think the same rule apply here too

4 Likes

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by signz: 10:19am On Jun 02, 2017
Koval12:
The South-East development commission bill was thrown out by all House of Reps members excluding the South-East lawmakers......

The bill ought to have scaled through to ease the political tensions...but alas, Nigeria been Nigeria would prefer the eleventh hour, violence and bloodshed before taking actions...

[/b]It is also clear that Nnamdi kanu has scored a massive point in his quest[b].....

That's the problem people don't see. Some (moderate)Igbos are really trying hard to counter IPOB message but things like what happened in HOR will discourage them.

You can imagine what Radio Biafra will say about it. HOR just gave them ammunition with this.
Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Rikidony(m): 10:21am On Jun 02, 2017
Welcome development. I was ready to lay curses on the Parliament if that rubbish bill was pass. what do you mean by SEDC is there any war in the east, or another avenue to continue squandering our Niger Delta money.

God for punish all those idiot for National Assembly. criminals

1 Like

Re: Bill To Create South East Development Commission Fails by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 02, 2017
ozoemenaca:
The day Biafran independence would be declared by UN I assure you that our brothers from the North would certainly be happy for Biafra but the Afonjas would certainly not eat for one week.
You soiund silly that you deserve to be in a Pen with your kind

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

World Leaders Eager To Meet With Tinubu At Paris Summit – Alake (Video) / Suspension looms for Wike, other G5 members over romance with Tinubu, APC / Peter Obi Compares Nigeria’s Budget, Poverty Rate With China’s. Is He Correct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.