Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,830 members, 7,915,355 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 09:46 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1755) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2233732 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1752) (1753) (1754) (1755) (1756) (1757) (1758) ... (1786) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 8:14pm On Jun 24
mctfopt:

I've seen a small pack of 1kwh lithium gut a shop. Everything inside was gone. This happened in the afternoon with people around. Battery fire is no joke. Hence best to use the best of everything. The cause of the fire was charging the battery directly without a charge controller.
The major enemy of not just the lithium phosphate, lithium ion but also the lead acid battery is OVERCHARGING.
Unfortunately, some people who do not accept advise will still fall victims of damaging their systems. The working voltage range of lithium phosphate cell is 3.000-3.400v. Sometimes, I wonder what people are really looking for at the upper knees of the charging curve where cells charging are highly competitive, especially runner cells. If we can't get the advertised capacity at the working voltage range, then the purchased cells must be that of 2nd LIFE.
My LFP battery bulk/float charging stop at 3.400v
I can leave my system on and travel to anywhere without having anything to worry about the system failure.
A proper designed and installed system with all the safety precautions taken makes us have rest of mind.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 8:17pm On Jun 24
mctfopt:

Lithium ion..
It doesn't tolerate any forms of abuse. Very unfortunate....
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FEGEITOK: 8:43pm On Jun 24
GloriousGbola:

Please get an earth resistance tester and confirm the earthing. It should have a resistance of less than 10 ohms or if it is very good 5 ohms. We found that one of our installations had a resistance of 15 ohms and we had to use four earth rods and bentonite to resolve this.

Good Advice.

Will implement
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:19pm On Jun 24
twinskenny:

with srne 3kw or 3.3kw you can never go wrong my friend

3.3kw is a much better deal than the 3kw.

80a vs 60a CC, 4000w PVs vs 1400w as well.

For less than 100k more.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:44pm On Jun 24
JINKO 580W PANEL! LIMITED STOCK!!!

JINKO 580w tiger neo panels available
Price : 175k

GALAXY LITHIUM BATTERY
24v 100a .... 840k
24v 280a .... 1.6m "selling hot"🔥

48V 5KWH .... 1.5m
48v 8.6KWH ... 1.9m

Product datasheet available on request.

For further enquiry & purchase;
Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL LINE::::: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: 081-703-85620

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 4:51am On Jun 25
GloriousGbola:

Last I checked a bag is like 20k to 25k. Check jiji .though as a naija matter I don't even know if it is real bentonite. What I can say is after 4 earth rods driven deeper, an earth mat and bentonite we went from 20+ ohms to 9 Ohms. Thought it was waterlogged clayey soil.

Wow, that's a stubborn soil. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by twinskenny(m): 6:00am On Jun 25
HeavenlyBang:

3.3kw is a much better deal than the 3kw.

80a vs 60a CC, 4000w PVs vs 1400w as well.

For less than 100k more.

Exactly just like the 8kw and 10kw the price difference is not much
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abbeymighty(m): 8:49am On Jun 25
twinskenny:

with srne 3kw or 3.3kw you can never go wrong my friend
Thanks for your response

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abbeymighty(m): 8:51am On Jun 25
tsiriman:

I know three people that bought the 24V iPower max and the inverter didn't last more than a day in 2 of the cases, inverter got damaged and they had to return it. The third person used his for less than 2 weeks and it developed a fault that he had to change the inverter, my advice is don't buy the iPower 24V, look at other brands.

On the flip side i know a number of people using the iPower 48V without any issues at all.

Stay away from the 24V of that brand

Thanks ,
That is i request. For a review, because the product is new and sonic don't have good after sales service if anything happen to your equipments , it can take you a whole year
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:00am On Jun 25
Hello house

Available now

Jinko 420w - 130k
Jasolar 440w bifacial - 135k
Canadian Solar 555w - 165k

Call/chat - 08117398294 to order
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FRESHTWANYE: 12:29pm On Jun 25
Please professional help me I just install 2.4kw pure sinewave mercury hybrid inverter using it with dstv xtraview decoder, the primary decoder working perfectly but the secondary decoder didn't work and loss connection with the primary decoder heart beat. But using it with grid or generator works perfectly for both decoder but when switch to inverter it loss connection, please help me.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:35pm On Jun 25
SMARTCELL DISTILLED WATER & ELECTROLYTES NOW IN STOCK!!

We are still committed to giving you the best quality of distilled water in the industry...

Join us in our price slash promo .. We look forward to working with you

Distilled water 25 Litres = N13,000 PER 25L GALLON (Selling with free 25L black Gallon)(BUY 2 GALLONS & GET 5L FREE)

Distilled water 25 Litres = N15,000 PER 25L GALLON (Selling with free 25L white Gallon)(BUY 2 GALLONS & GET 5L FREE)

Distilled water 5 Litres = N3,500 (Selling with free 5L gallon) (PROMO: BUY 12 units get 2 free)

Distilled water 1 Litre (Dozen pack) = N9,000 (PROMO: BUY 12 packs & get 1 free)

Hydrometer = N7,000

Electrolyte 5L = N4,000

Electrolyte 25 Litres = N18,000 (with free 25L Industrial Gallon) .. (BUY 2 GALLONS & GET 5L DISTILLED WATER FREE).

Electrolyte is mixture of sulfuric acid & distilled water having predefined specific gravity or concentration per mol. Smartcell electrolytes maintains 1.265 - 1.280 specific gravity range.

*Deionized H2O Analysis:
*TDS = 0 - 0007 ppm
*PH = 6.8 - 7.0

*APPLICATIONS:
Smartcell deionized water is free of toxins, microbes , pollutants and can be used for:

-Tubular battery periodic top up
- Skin care formulation
- Steam Iron
- Soap making
- Hand sanitizer production
- Cleaning services
- Laboratory
- Automotive radiator Cooling Systems
- Continuous positive airway pressure machines

We're open for dealership discussions. Feel free to reach us via contact details below

Warehouse Location: Winners estate, Abule-egba , Lagos (Estate is situated behind popular Solomon grace secondary schools ,off Abiodun Onitiri avenue) but can be dispatched to any state on buyers expense...

Contact,

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NpvnStar: 1:01pm On Jun 25
Trippledots:

Anger is good when our into productivity..lol

omo, been rocking the stabilizer, I might just start it up as a business for a fraction of the profits. at least lets improve the quality of products we get on nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 1:28pm On Jun 25
NpvnStar:

omo, been rocking the stabilizer, I might just start it up as a business for a fraction of the profits. at least lets improve the quality of products we get on nairaland.

TND do great stabilisers. I think they are in the league of Stavol.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:08pm On Jun 25
DISCOUNTED PRICES!!!

- SMS mppt 12-48v 40a ..... 120k
- SMS mppt 12-48v 60a ..... 150k
- SMS mppt 12-48v 100a ... 220k
- SMS 1000w 12v (40 MPPT) hybrid wall mount pure sinewave inverter .... 200k
- Sako 4.2kva 48v (220a combined max charging current) hybrid inverter "can work without batteries" .... 550k
- Galaxy 280a 24v (7168wh) lithium battery ..... 1.6m
- Afripower 1kva 12v transformer based inverter... 165k

Standard product warranty applies.

Contact,

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NpvnStar: 7:34pm On Jun 25
mctfopt:

TND do great stabilisers. I think they are in the league of Stavol.

TND is not a Brand name oo, it's the approved model number code in China to track between single phase and 3 phase servo stabilizers.

Just like SVC and all that naming system.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 9:00pm On Jun 25
Hello house. Kinda need ur advice here.
I av a friend who I'm sure wud be reading this. Had this old sch 5kva48v felicity inverter with VOC of 145v with 9 pcs of 270w panel connected 3s3p. He later added 2 625w panels which were joined in series and then connected in parallel to the previous 9panels. Now he's gotten a 10kva sms inverter with max voc of 500v and he wants to series all the panels together. What are the possible pros and cons? Not comfortable with the arrangement but he feels it would work.
Thanks in advance
Panel specs:
625w VOC 56.56 ISC 13.6 VMP 47.93 IMP 13.05
270w VOC 37.44 ISC 9.09 VMP 31.2 IMP 8.65
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmos(m): 10:27pm On Jun 25
SEE ATTACHED PICTURES,
NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE ENERGY LOSSES NO MATTER HOW HE CHOOSE TO STRING HIS PANELS

Drgreatone:
Hello house. Kinda need ur advice here.
I av a friend who I'm sure wud be reading this. Had this old sch 5kva48v felicity inverter with VOC of 145v with 9 pcs of 270w panel connected 3s3p. He later added 2 625w panels which were joined in series and then connected in parallel to the previous 9panels. Now he's gotten a 10kva sms inverter with max voc of 500v and he wants to series all the panels together. What are the possible pros and cons? Not comfortable with the arrangement but he feels it would work.
Thanks in advance
Panel specs:
625w VOC 56.56 ISC 13.6 VMP 47.93 IMP 13.05
270w VOC 37.44 ISC 9.09 VMP 31.2 IMP 8.65

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by brightk(m): 11:34pm On Jun 25
FEGEITOK:

One earth rod.

The panels are next to the house but not on the roof.

What I have noticed is that anything that happens to any electrical circuit whether mains side or PV side the RCCB trips off.
it seems like nairaland dm is not working presently... can i have ur whatsapp digit?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 4:42am On Jun 26
jonescosmos:
SEE ATTACHED PICTURES,
NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE ENERGY LOSSES NO MATTER HOW HE CHOOSE TO STRING HIS PANELS

Thanks boss.... Wiring all in series wud suffice then.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 6:05am On Jun 26
GloriousGbola:

Please get an earth resistance tester and confirm the earthing. It should have a resistance of less than 10 ohms or if it is very good 5 ohms. We found that one of our installations had a resistance of 15 ohms and we had to use four earth rods and bentonite to resolve this.

Please don't go broke trying to get sub 10 ohms earth resistance. For a TT system at least going by UK electric code for residential systems. (We use TT earthing system in Nigeria)

Minium theoretical earth electrode resistance is actually 1666 Ohms. Now that is theoretical. In practice anything below 200 ohms is considered ok but below 100 ohms is recommended.

10 ohms and below are requirement for industrial applications and power equipments line transformers, power substations, Network Masts etc.

They are not a requirement for home earthing of electrical components. To get anything below 10 ohms for domestic earth rod would be very expensive.

The important thing to note in all of this is that. Homes are required to use RCDs to compliment a domestically installed earthing system.

This helps to provide protection in place of a very low earth electrode set out to provide ie trip a breaker in the case of an earth fault. Since 100 ohms earth rod is incapable of tripping a breaker. An RCD does that job

Source

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.6.1.htm

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/tt-earthing-readings.173423/

https://www.quora.com/In-a-TT-earthing-system-how-does-the-fault-current-go-through-the-consumer-earth-rod-to-source-the-earth-rod-through-the-earth-because-the-earth-s-resistance-is-too-high

If your RCD trips then that is a bigger issue with your electrical connection which needs to be fixed and not a or problem with your earthing.

Secondly lots of people including me use to go all in on likes of bentonite and GEMs. Until I realize just drilling your earth rod into the ground should be sufficient..

See compacted earth and length of earth rod matters more than some of these Earthing materials. From all the literature I have read on the issue, getting an 8 foot earth rod (copper bonded is fine and stronger than all copper earth rod which can be quite brittle)

Just drilling your earth rod on undisturbed compacted soil ensures the earth is fine.
At least you can carry out soil resistant before you start.
If you live in a place of high soil resistant or rocky place then you can consider an eathing enhancer just note that
most of the GEMS currently in the market are fakes / immitation. I spoke to the authorized distributor for GEMs and he said he doesn't stock them any more due to high dollar rates. Last one he sold went for 80k for 12.5kg bag.

Bentonite is a good alternative earth rod backfill but again I am not sure on the quality product we have in the market.

Bentonite also tend to expand and crack when dry this allows air bubbles which means some part of your earth rod losses contact with the earth if encased in bentonite.

Most people in the west just put the ground rod directly into the ground (without digging a hole) The idea is digging a hole reduces the compactness of the soil, a soil disturbed and backfilled might take 20 years to compact again. Soil compactness is required to ensure the rod maintains contact with the soil around it and contact is not lost if the soil settles.

I go with the school of thought that believe that if you can drive a long enough earth rod like 8ft and above you should be fine without any extra hole digging.

Source https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=11731

When considered the minimum recommended earth resistance is sub 100ohms having a good earthing becomes quite inexpensive and easy to do without delving into sneak oil or spending tons of money.

Earthing is just one part of protection system. You still need to ensure earth neutral bonding is available in your system (by doing an impudence test) hopefully earthing of your grid transformer is done properly.

And if you are on inverter ensure your inverter has a MEN rely when operating in island mode.

Also your RCD.. if you get a lot of nuisance trip consider a 300mA RCD for the whole house just make sure the trip time is below 50ms.

Also take time to identify why your RCD is tripping.

This is my humble take on this. Remember I am not a qualified electrician so please feel free to take whatever I say with a pinch of salt.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GloriousGbola: 6:26am On Jun 26
bigrovar:

Please don't go broke trying to get sub 10 ohms earth resistance. For a TT system at least going by UK electric code for residential systems. (We use TT earthing system in Nigeria)

Minium theoretical earth electrode resistance is actually 1666 Ohms. Now that is theoretical. In practice anything below 200 ohms is considered ok but below 100 ohms is recommended.

10 ohms and below are requirement for industrial applications and power equipments line transformers, power substations, Network Masts etc.

They are not a requirement for home earthing of electrical components. To get anything below 10 ohms for domestic earth rod would be very expensive.

The important thing to note in all of this is that. Homes are required to use RCDs to compliment a domestically installed earthing system.

This helps to provide protection in place of a very low earth electrode set out to provide ie trip a breaker in the case of an earth fault. Since 100 ohms earth rod is incapable of tripping a breaker. An RCD does that job

Source

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.6.1.htm

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/tt-earthing-readings.173423/

https://www.quora.com/In-a-TT-earthing-system-how-does-the-fault-current-go-through-the-consumer-earth-rod-to-source-the-earth-rod-through-the-earth-because-the-earth-s-resistance-is-too-high

If your RCD trips then that is a bigger issue with your electrical connection which needs to be fixed and not a or problem with your earthing.

Secondly lots of people including me use to go all in on likes of bentonite and GEMs. Until I realize just drilling your earth rod into the ground should be sufficient..

See compacted earth and length of earth rod matters more than some of these Earthing materials. From all the literature I have read on the issue, getting an 8 foot earth rod (copper bonded is fine and stronger than all copper earth rod which can be quite brittle)

Just drilling your earth rod on undisturbed compacted soil ensures the earth is fine.
At least you can carry out soil resistant before you start.
If you live in a place of high soil resistant or rocky place then you can consider an eathing enhancer just note that
most of the GEMS currently in the market are fakes / immitation. I spoke to the authorized distributor for GEMs and he said he doesn't stock them any more due to high dollar rates. Last one he sold went for 80k for 12.5kg bag.

Bentonite is a good alternative earth rod backfill but again I am not sure on the quality product we have in the market.

Bentonite also tend to expand and crack when dry this allows air bubbles which means some part of your earth rod losses contact with the earth if encased in bentonite.

Most people in the west just put the ground rod directly into the ground (without digging a hole) The idea is digging a hole reduces the compactness of the soil, a soil disturbed and backfilled might take 20 years to compact again. Soil compactness is required to ensure the rod maintains contact with the soil around it and contact is not lost if the soil settles.

I go with the school of thought that believe that if you can drive a long enough earth rod like 8ft and above you should be fine without any extra hole digging.

Source https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=11731

When considered the minimum recommended earth resistance is sub 100ohms having a good earthing becomes quite inexpensive and easy to do without delving into sneak oil or spending tons of money.

Earthing is just one part of protection system. You still need to ensure earth neutral bonding is available in your system (by doing an impudence test) hopefully earthing of your grid transformer is done properly.

And if you are on inverter ensure your inverter has a MEN rely when operating in island mode.

Also your RCD.. if you get a lot of nuisance trip consider a 300mA RCD for the whole house just make sure the trip time is below 50ms.

Also take time to identify why your RCD is tripping.

This is my humble take on this. Remember I am not a qualified electrician so please feel free to take whatever I say with a pinch of salt.

Two things can happen if your earthing has issues. Lightning can go back into your installation. This is why I prefer to isolate lightning protection from my main earthing. Not practical abroad but in Nigeria you put lightning protection on your over head tank which is usually detached. Also protects from surges induced by lightning current

However with solar panels this may become moot as the panels are on your roof.

In this project we had high voltages (up to 40v) on the neutral which meant high voltages all around, which would damage the equipment. During troubleshooting we found the earthing resistance was over 20 ohms. We first relocated the rod, drove it deeper, did charcoal and salt, no difference. We bonded two earth rods 5m away from each other, no difference. So we had to grit our teeth and do a four rod solution. After we did this the voltage on neutral issue was resolved.

10hms is OK for domestic installations, but for industrial - transformer, telecoms, it infrastructure, ev and pv installation - 5 ohms is strongly recommended. These are usually the first caveats the technical partners will invoke if there is equipment failure

I also work in an industry where earthing is very important. That fire at nnpc some weeks ago may have been due to improper earth bonding or ineffective earthing during truck discharge. It is easy to take it for granted and many people unfortunately do.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:04am On Jun 26
I would be more concerned about 40v showing up on neutral that is not suppose to happen. Hiding the fault by shunting it to lower than recommended resistence earth rod should not be the solution. 40v is now going to earth.

I personally would be more concerned by 40v on neutral. I don't know much about this installation having a low resistance works then fine. Have you tried installing an ELCB just to rule out leakage to earth?

My focus is on resistential systems not factories or industrial applications. (I stated same in my post)

My post is mainly based on UK code which is what Nigeria is modeled after.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:05am On Jun 26
NpvnStar:

TND is not a Brand name oo, it's the approved model number code in China to track between single phase and 3 phase servo stabilizers.

Just like SVC and all that naming system.

Oh, I've seen AVR with that tag. They do well. Thanks for the update.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jonescosmos(m): 7:13am On Jun 26
Exactly my concern too.
Going to bury 4 rods is like treating the symptom rather than curing the disease. Of course it might make the leaks to neutral line to hide itself but that doesn't mean it went away. IT WILL SIMPLY FLOW TO EARTH AND YOU WILL HAVE ENERGY LOSS. SOMETIMES WE MISTAKE SOME OF THESE LOSSES AS IDLE CONSUMPTIONS

bigrovar:
I would be more concerned about 40v showing up on neutral that is not suppose to happen. Hiding the fault by shunting it to lower than recommended resistence earth rod should not be the solution. 40v is now going to earth.

I personally would be more concerned by 40v on neutral. I don't know much about this installation having a low resistance works then fine. Have you tried installing an ELCB just to rule out leakage to earth?

My focus is on resistential systems not factories or industrial applications. (I stated same in my post)

My post is mainly based on UK code which is what Nigeria is modeled after.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 8:10am On Jun 26
idsolar:

Wow nepa 119v. Like what I got on one site here in KD. Infact I was getting 110, 108v. Site steady on 220v now. Na servo boost am o. Jordy-ele servo, na Zeestone run am

And to think that the more stabs (inductive loads) connected to the grid, the poorer the quality the power on the grid gets. The govt. has failed us woefully.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:14am On Jun 26
2pcs of 15kwh 48v felicity lithium battery waybill yesterday to Uyo, thank you sir Emmanuel for the patronage, God bless you.

Call/WhatsApp me on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 8:14am On Jun 26
FEGEITOK:
I traveled for 3 weeks.

I just returned.

I left my inverters hooked to my solar panels.

One was connected to utility power.

The other inverter was not connected.

I reduced the loads such that even if the sun was not generating enough PV power the batteries would not run out.

Would you have done what I had done or would you have powered down your unit or units?

I came back to meet everything as I left them.

I'd love your responses with reasons.

And by the way the panels are earthed and every earth is connected to or bonded to each other to be safe.

If I don't have contents in my freezer that needs to stay iced up, i'ld power down my inverter, manually disconnect grid, leave my battery and solar side connected.

Reason: SAFETY FIRST. It's never a wise idea to live energized equipment unattended to, especially for long periods of time.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:15am On Jun 26
750w flame solar panels now available, #180,000. Call/WhatsApp me on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:16am On Jun 26
5kva 48v felicity hybrid inverter available, #550,000. Call/WhatsApp me on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:17am On Jun 26
15kwh 48v felicity lithium battery still available, #3,200, 000. Call/WhatsApp me on 08168986461

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by justcallmenuel(m): 8:19am On Jun 26
17.5kwh 48v felicity lithium battery available, #3,800,000. Call/WhatsApp me on 08168986461

(1) (2) (3) ... (1752) (1753) (1754) (1755) (1756) (1757) (1758) ... (1786) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Valto(m), loluskysat(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.