Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,895 members, 7,872,922 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 04:28 AM

Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? (12193 Views)

Things To Consider Before Joining The Military / Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military / Requiremet Of Joining The Nigeria Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by dotwaila: 11:19am On Feb 06, 2007
is joining the military the solution to unemployment
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by Digiman(m): 11:54pm On Feb 06, 2007
Well sort of, you'll get free accomodation, free uniform as long as you are prepared to undergo the training (and transformation from a civvie , otherwise known as "bloody civillian" into a fighting machine) , and also be prepared to go on postings.

At what level do you intend to join NCO or Commisioned officer ?
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by PILOT955(m): 9:10am On Nov 14, 2007
Bros do u wan to join the military from the bottom of ur heart or its cos u cant get a job? let me tell u from now that the military takes a lot of balls to be in it either as a soldier or officer, i know cos am an air force officer in Nigeria, i went to NMS and then NDA as a regular cadet n i know what i saw, even if u give me a million dollors to go thru that exercise again i will REFUSE to collect the money, but i had a dream from when i was young to be in the military cos my dad is in the navy, well now it fun for me cos i fly the deadliest fighter aircraft in the country n i can say that with alot of CONFIDENT(Alpha Jet), i would say its not the best for u if u never had the dream to come into the military but as a result of unemployment, BROS NO TRY AM OH!!!!!!!!!!!cos we have a saying both in NMS n NDA, "IT IS DULLNESS FOR U TO GO THRU A DAY OF PURNISHMENT WITHOUT HANGING PEEP(RANK)", it is called FOC{free of charge}, so please have a rethink as to what u want,

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by Alsutan: 7:14am On Nov 15, 2007
Pilot955. Na so no b joke, tell them, Ooooo b4 they beging to go they plan coup
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by slitty: 4:58pm On Nov 15, 2007
@ pilot, i feel you.

@dotwaila. you better think about it very well, the training is something else and i assure it is definately not something you just try, if you are in it, then you are in it ok?
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by Bawss1(m): 8:15am On Nov 16, 2007
The Military aint no joke, true, especially the Nigerian one that tries to make up for its inadequate infrastructure with with almost sadistic personnel training. But if you are determined you can still make it, for me I'd recommend the British military( RAF, RN, RM and British Army) it's possible to join as a Nigerian (on commonwealth grounds) and it does provide for an execellent experience( not to talk of pay).Good luck

1 Like

Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by PILOT955(m): 9:47am On Nov 16, 2007
@Bawss1, I dont think that is possible oh, i have asked from my superiors and i dont think its possible either on COMMON WEALTH or UNCOMMON WEALTH, i know the USAF(United States Air Force)if u r citizen u can get into their military but am not sure as to if they can take u in as an officer, even with all that i dont think u can get to certain ranks n even good appointment cry, So @ dotwaila men if u MUST join the military i suggest u join ur own country military and please as an OFFICER,

1 Like

Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by Bawss1(m): 11:54pm On Nov 17, 2007
@PILOT955
I know its definately possible to join the British military as a Nigerian citizen. I have a couple of friends who are in the Royal Navy(one is a lieutenant) and they are not British citizens. Citizens from commonwealth nations can join any of her majesty's armed forces but there is limit to how far you can rise(be promoted)- They won't let non-citizens fly in the RAF. You might want to check out their site for further details www.royal-navy.mod.uk
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by ifyalways(f): 4:00pm On Nov 18, 2007
@ poster joining the miltary or any other force for that matter is not the solution to unemployment and hunger in naija  wink work harder,pray hard and try maximizing ya potentials,with God on ya side,things might work for you.don't let d frustration of being unemployed lead you into life long slavery .

if you must join the miliatry or any other force,i suggest you join as an officer  cool
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by yemmydavid(m): 7:37pm On Nov 18, 2007
PILOT 955
u said ur dad is a naval officer (is he stil serving or retired?wats d surname)my dad is a naval officer too.wat set where u in NMS? do u knw any azuka komo?

@ poster. joining the military is athing of the mind.if u are not cut out 4 it then 4get it.telling u frm xperience.
i was born,bred,buttered,sugared and tead in the nig navy so i knw wat i am talking about.attended the nursery, primary and sec skool.
wrote d DSSC xam. passed but i refused to go to NDA 4 d trainning.not that i do not like it.maybe not just cut ot 4 it.no go there cos u no get work o
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by PILOT955(m): 11:22am On Nov 19, 2007
yes i know u, ur brother is with the AIRFORCE too, NMS 90/1944, Foxtrot company,
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by yemmydavid(m): 12:06pm On Nov 19, 2007
my bro is not in the airforce.no one in my house joined d military (popc wasnt happy sha)
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by PILOT955(m): 6:03pm On Nov 19, 2007
ok sorry bout that we have a KOMO in the airforce sha so i thot he was ur bro, so did u grow up in navy town? lets not forget the reason we r here sha, this guy need help n we r suppose to help him make the right choice. Me i think i have given him all the advise i can give him but if he no want hear, good for am, dem say the fly wey no wan hear word the follow dead body enter grave, final answer is left to him(DEAL OR NO DEAL)? bros just push the button nlets call this topic quit
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by yemmydavid(m): 9:09am On Nov 20, 2007
i don giv d guy my advise too.let him make up his mind.

i did grow up in navy town from 1990 - 2005. (officers qtrs)
the komo (azuka) i was askin bout,we attended same pry skool (NNPS malu road) he later went to NMS so i lost contact wit him.his dad used to b in d army.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by Seun(m): 9:20am On Nov 20, 2007
Don't join unless you feel you really really really really want to. The training turns you into something completely different.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by ndubest(m): 9:48am On Nov 20, 2007
military is not for the UNEMPLOYED?
I AGREE WITH YOUR GUYS

BUT WHY IS THE MILITARY CURRENTLY ENTICING UNEMPOLYED YOUNG GRADUATES WITH OFFICERS POSITION AFTER SIX MONTH IN NDA?
may be they should stop that to avoid desperate graduates getting there and being frustrated in life

@poster, bro if u want to go in, better get mentally and physically ready for it
OR ELSE BEAT IT MAN
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by aristole(m): 10:07am On Nov 20, 2007
HONESTLY.I HAVE BEEN TRYING 2 JOIN D MILITARY SINCE.I VE WRITTEN SERIES OF DR NDA EXAMS FRUITLESSLY COS OF CONNECTION.I EVEN WENT FOR THE NAVY EXAM LAST YR ALL 2 NO AVAIL.PLS SOMBODY SHLD HELP ME.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by alexis(m): 11:04am On Nov 20, 2007
A little hint to consider if you intend to join the Nigerian military

1. If you don't pass through Nigerian Defense Academy - You will not attain certain ranks i.e. General for the Army or an Admiral in the Navy.

2. Most of our soldiers think they are the best people in Nigeria. This is as a result on indoctrination and the type of training they undergo. They feel sort of superior or special to civilian. Learning the art of war will give you a sense of superiority which can be misleading.

3. Compared to other West African countries, we have one of the best military however we have a long way to go when it comes to professionalism.

4. The best doctors, computer developers, lawyers don't come from the military, they come from the universities.

There are other points I would have noted but I will leave you to decide.

Good luck.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by 1388tintin: 12:11pm On Nov 20, 2007
hey pilot955 obviously an exboy uhn   wink!l i couldnt help joining you in advicing this dude to help himself pls by avoiding aca just because of unemployement. oboy like you said it is more than dullness to 'serve job' and end up not hanging peep  shocked halfway into training simply because you just realised you were'nt cut out for it in the first place sad. the military is a place for highly disciplined persons who are ready to endure and obey ervery single command to its letter, if you are not ready you get kicked out prematurely without any regrets.
athough i tried getting into nda after nms but couldnt pass thru the selection board and i give God the glory because i beleive i was nt destined to become an officer.
and for pilot955 what year in nms did you passout and what reg course in nda? you know say we suppose link up, abi wink? iam sure u must have noticed that my alias carries my nms no grin
also for yemmydavid asking for azuka komo is it the same komo that was a military administrator at a certain time? what yr did he passout from nms? i thnk i might be able to help you if its the same dude iam thinking.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by Meldrick(m): 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2007
I had the mind of joining the Navy just because I don't have a job but pilot has really put a lot of fear in me. The truth is that immediately after the training you are made comfortable with a car and other benefits and just like my friend always say, any business you establish as a military personnel is secured because even when you retire your businesses are protected. Iam confused, d situation in the country makes one deviate from his original plan.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by pyramid777(m): 1:56pm On Nov 20, 2007
I PASSED OUT FROM NMS IN 1997 NOW A BANKER, AZUKA KOMO WAS MY COURSE MATE IN FOXTROT COMPANY - THOUGH HE DASHED B4 POP B'COS OF THE PUNISHMENTS , I WAS REFERED TO AS "TRAGEDY".

ANY OTHER EXBOYS AROUND ? PLS HOOK UP WITH ME ON 08054084477.

CHEERS !
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by bambash(m): 2:20pm On Nov 20, 2007
Meldrick dont be decieved,no one gives you a car immediately after training.You will only be given when you are promoted to the rank of lieutenant and depending on your kind of commission that may take between 1 and 4 years. Moreover, the car isnt free my friend.

As for your bizness being secured,thats a joke.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by yemmydavid(m): 2:35pm On Nov 20, 2007
yes, i believe his dad was a military administrator. he shld finish frm nms in either 1997,1998 not too sure b.

o boy military no easy o.even the secondary skool na die nnss abeokuta was war
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by yemmydavid(m): 2:39pm On Nov 20, 2007
the cars given to military men are not free o,am telling frm xperience cos my dad got 1 . it would be deducted from ur salary monthly. this is not d 1st time cars are being given out.
IBB was d 1st to doo it in 1994 or so
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by bambash(m): 3:27pm On Nov 20, 2007
IBB gave out the cars sometime from 1991 and some officers are still paying till date.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by Pain(m): 5:56pm On Nov 20, 2007
@Pilot955, Which company where u in? When did u pass out? Na wa o. So Exboys are on this forum. What regular intake were u in ACA? I'm sure You met Kuponiyi, Oraeki, etc I heard they are in 301FTS Kaduna. Well I hope say I never blow your cover sorry O !

I was of the 36th POP. but its no good blowing my cover open here. I remain Pain. shocked, but its good to know fellow Exboys are in the house. Ahua! grin

@Tragedy of Echo Coy? Or is it another Tragedy? Na wa o. In fact sit on your head grin This is interesting. Anyway keep the flag flying. NMS No Rival!
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by E2N(m): 8:37am On Nov 21, 2007
Military life could be sweet but the process of becoming a commissioned officer is HELL. I was oppurtuned to experience it at secondary level cos i attended Airforce Military School, Jos (AFMS). It was tough, serving job was a daily routine, To combine Military traing and academics was quite difficult but we had no choice. This was enough for me to discard proceeding to ACA, my dad who is a retired Airforce officer was disappointed but for him pocket.

I advise that you be sure it what you really want instead of going through the rigourss without getting the pipps!

AFMS 91/1444.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by inxx(m): 9:56pm On Nov 21, 2007
they (my family) tot i was insane when i made my intention of joining the amy, they threathed to disown me so i dd'nt maybe cos then i was only "a child" but as it is now, i am ready to give up my Telecom job just to join the army, just waiting for the nxt DSS forms to be.

its has nothing to do with unemployment, its a passion. u just have to love the army to be in the army
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by amaikama(m): 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2007
Digiman!-who told you all is rosy in the military?

Pilot955-you speak as an officer not as an order rank and as such you will not know the difference.

Poster.

Joining the military is not a guarantee of success in life or in nigeria but what u can do for your self that will bring that success. It is not necessary for one to join the nigerian military to protect it's county or to be successful as i earlier said.
I believe you can do better without the military.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by slimes(m): 1:37pm On Nov 22, 2007
Military no be for unemplyed people. It is a thing of strong decision to be part of it.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by EKENEA(m): 4:47pm On Nov 22, 2007
inxx====how old are you, because NDA in the real sense of it is meant for boy (18-21 years) that can withstand harsh training, at that age they can always obey orders and carry out orders to the letter without grumbling though you can grumble but not the hearing of your superior.
Re: Joining The Military: Solution To Unemployment? by ymx(m): 4:52pm On Nov 22, 2007
@ PILOT
it is nice to know that we have military officers and exboys in the house.
i have a little problem and i would want to share with the house.
I was duped  about three months ago by an Exboy of over N730,000.00
He claimed to be a car  dealer his name is babatunde alaran they call him (fish)
And till date i have not been able to get my money because he is an Ex boy.
I have reported since to the army, but he is been covered up by his fellow exboys.
Is that the power exboys now exibit? I am still hoping to get my money back, because i
feel very hurt.I have evidence of payment, his picture and full contact details. If any one can help me out my number is 08023096122

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prince 2 And CISA Candidates For 2009 / Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? / How To Negotiate Your Salary For A Promotion: Tips And Tricks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.