Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,391 members, 7,940,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 07:12 AM

Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine (8369 Views)

End Time Sign, How Can Someone Pose Like This On Magazine Cover (adult Photos) / Nigerian Transgender Miss Sahara Poses Nude On Magazine Cover / Asa Sues Celebrity Magazine Over Lesbianism Saga, Demands N700m Compensation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by aloyemeka2: 10:37pm On Feb 05, 2010
[size=14pt]Libel: Asa slams N700m suit on magazine[/size]
By Davidson Iriekpen, 02.05.2010
Friday, February 5, 2010

Lagos

Award-winning Nigerian-born jazz and soul musician, Bukola Elemide, a, k.a Asa, has slammed a N700 million suit against publishers and editors of a Lagos based soft-sell magazine, ‘News of the People’ magazine at the Lagos High Court.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/feb/5/201.html

In a writ of summons instituted on her behalf by Lagos lawyer, Mena Ajakpovi, the musician and her manager, Janet Nwose, have sued the reporter of the alleged defamatory story, the editor of the magazine and the registered parent company of the magazine.

The claimants have sought an order of court, declaring the allegation of lesbianism against Asa and Janet as false, illegal and a violation of their rights, more so that the allegation is entirely false.

They stated that the defendants have in most reckless manner portrayed them as loose, licentious and persons with perverted sexual orientation who lack any claim to moral rectitude.

They added since the publication they have been inundated with phone calls from relatives, friends and fans on the matter and that this has affected the perception of people to their persons.

They argued that the defamatory statement is calculated to discredit and malign them in their unblemished careers as international music artistes with high moral standing which they have consistently conveyed in their songs and interactions with their teeming fans in Nigeria and abroad.

In the summons, a copy of which was made available to our correspondent, Asa claimed that the publication was not only malicious but also a clear case of a well-orchestrated plan by Publishers of the magazine to bring down her and also bring her into disrepute.

She added that she filed the action to clear her name and sustain her good reputation and that of her Manager. In addition to the declaratory orders, the two dreadlocks wearing ladies, Asa and Janet , have sued the defendants for a sum of N700million as damages.

They have also sought further orders of court restraining the defendants from further publication of malicious statements against them.

It will be recalled that in the Dec 14-22, 2009 edition of the ‘News of the People’ a story captioned “Lesbianism trails Asa and Manager” was published, alleging that the two ladies were involved in a lesbian relationship.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by Kunbee: 11:06pm On Feb 05, 2010
That amount is too much
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by aieromon(m): 12:30am On Feb 06, 2010
She looks like a lesbo though
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by aloyemeka2: 1:05am On Feb 06, 2010
All of us look like something. If she ain't lesbo, no need to call her one.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by mbulela: 1:50am On Feb 06, 2010
even if she is, what does it change?
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by aloyemeka2: 2:04am On Feb 06, 2010
Na so Uzoma win 100M.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by shilling(f): 5:30am On Feb 06, 2010
That should teach 'em a lesson, publishing trash just to sell copies.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by nellaluv(f): 8:03am On Feb 06, 2010
I wish it was nigeriafilms.com and ghanastars that was blasted with dat N700m suit, those guys post anything on their website as if they have some kind of personal vendetta with their victim.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by aloyemeka2: 4:46pm On Feb 06, 2010
nellaluv:

I wish it was nigeriafilms.com and ghanastars that was blasted with dat N700m suit, those guys post anything on their website as if they have some kind of personal vendetta with their victim.

If you slam them with major lawsuit, they will close down and open a new gossip site with a name close to the closed one. There is what is called Libel rights, these  tabloids can write whatever they want about anybody  as long as there is no proof of malicious intent. Asa can only get a written  apology from her lawsuit.

Anyway, she looks like a dyke tho.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by nellaluv(f): 6:15pm On Feb 06, 2010
Libel rights u kidding me. Neva heard of it tongue. Any printed libel stinks of malicious intent.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by semid4lyfe(m): 1:21am On Feb 07, 2010
Aaaah, so nella still dey NL? BTW, I thought u & Numaj were an item. . . .why be sey u still dey find val?
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by ajah1(f): 9:37am On Feb 07, 2010
Na wa o! Asa, a lesbian?
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by nellaluv(f): 10:02am On Feb 07, 2010
Who's numaj? grin grin tongue. Anyways if u want to be my val, i've got a list of items 4 u.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by semid4lyfe(m): 2:24pm On Feb 07, 2010
@ nella
^^Sorry, you've got the wrong guy. Go sell your market elsewhere.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by nellaluv(f): 4:21pm On Feb 07, 2010
^ ^ ^ oh shut-up, who needs u anyway
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by aloyemeka2: 7:16pm On Feb 07, 2010
ajah.:

Na wa o! Asa, a lesbian?

You never know. Who is banging her if she is not lesbian? wink wink
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by spikedcylinder: 9:11pm On Feb 07, 2010
aloy-emeka:

Anyway, she looks like a dyke tho.

aloy-emeka:

All of us look like something. If she ain't lesbo, no need to call her one.

Talk from both sides of your mouth much?
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by mamagee3(f): 11:12pm On Feb 07, 2010
Anyway, we would watch this thing unfold in court.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by oge4real(f): 11:27pm On Feb 07, 2010
I sincerely hope she achieves something with this. It will serve as deterent to others to publish only what they know.
Come to think of it, 700million? Even if na AIT sef!
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by semid4lyfe(m): 12:05am On Feb 08, 2010
nellaluv:

^ ^ ^ oh shut-up, who needs u anyway
My refusal dey pain you shey? tongue grin
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by tayoast(m): 12:41am On Feb 08, 2010
Asa*.*. Asa.*.*.*

bring 'em down
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by nellaluv(f): 8:45am On Feb 08, 2010
Lol @ semid, u wish. I got my gold i mean val, right here on my doorstep cheesy
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by semid4lyfe(m): 11:59am On Feb 08, 2010
@ Nella
Na em you dey hawk your market all over NL shey? LWKMD!
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by nellaluv(f): 2:09pm On Feb 08, 2010
^ ^ if they send u, tell them say u no see me o. Remember say na u find me come.
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by tkb417(m): 3:37pm On Feb 08, 2010
700milla
where will the get the money from
thy'll rather go to prison for 12 months than shell out 700milla

as someone said, they'll file for bankruptcy and start biz afresh with a new name
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by tunde300us(m): 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2010
When did the topic become that of semi nd nella own ? U guys shld allow us hear word jare !
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by Nobody: 3:48pm On Feb 08, 2010
get 'em tiger
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by otondo55: 3:50pm On Feb 08, 2010
Sorry for that,

but looks like one.

too mean!
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by SwtzMinx(f): 3:55pm On Feb 08, 2010
.y0u Go GURL!!
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by violent(m): 4:02pm On Feb 08, 2010
700 million? shocked shocked shocked

I dont care if she wins or not, but it's definitely a smart move. . . u dont just sit down and take s.hit from a bunch of retards who are looking to make any kobo by dragging you in the dirt!

Sue em for every penny they are not worth!

before the get d money, they'd sell their House, cars, business, dogs, kids, wives and themselves {not necessarily in that order tho}
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by iz2much: 4:05pm On Feb 08, 2010
na she husband and the other babe be wife grin grin grin
Re: Asa Slams N700m Suit On Magazine by soyad: 4:07pm On Feb 08, 2010
It is good to test cases in court but in Nigeria peaple are afraid to go to court . Asa may not get the 700m but it will teach the margazine the lesson of getting their facts right before going to the press . It is not right to destroy people simply because you want to make money . I wish Asa luck in court

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Another One From Jay Boogie, Ready To Dethrone Bobrisky / Is Ini Edo Bleaching? - (see Pictures) / Angela Okorie, The Nollywood Most Sexiest Actress. (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.