Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,842 members, 7,872,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:02 PM

Are We Really Practicing Democracy? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are We Really Practicing Democracy? (4628 Views)

Nigeria Vs Iran: Are We Really Going To War? / Is Nigeria Practicing Investigative Journalism? / Is Nigeria Practicing True And Real Democracy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Really Practicing Democracy? by chukwudi01: 2:17am On Feb 13, 2010
hilli666:

Nigeria is a failed state, under the guise of a country. We should default back to our ancestral form of government, mornarchy. Back to the days of empires. Like the yourba kindom, calabar or efik kingdom, the benin empire, the kanem bornu empire. Now we are talking, at least then we knew who we were we had identities. Now we are the lauging stalk of the entire globe.
OK, let's say Nigeria reverts to that state. What's to stop us from having a brutal leader that rarely bends to the will of the people? wink
Re: Are We Really Practicing Democracy? by marvix(m): 2:54am On Feb 13, 2010
Yes we are practising democracy. When America started their democracy blacks were not allowed to vote or be voted for despite having their first declaration that all men were born equal yet later adopted dat a black man should be 3/5th of a white man but today they've grown to d point where d pple who didn't count who were a fraction of a human being hav finally produced the president.
We shouldn't lose hope or even destroy what we Share Goodluck had d option of takin ova wen d circumstances were not clear but he rather chose to allow his position defined and agreed b4 steppin in.
Re: Are We Really Practicing Democracy? by k9ine(m): 2:40pm On Feb 20, 2010
@ oluking
"I would say we are practicing democracy.we are at an evolving point. we are customising the concept of democracy to suit a unique diversity.its nots going to be a short process,but we will get there."

I suppose you understand the meaning of democracy, and then your description about our's, supposses to me, you mean home-grown democracy.

Yes evolving. The more our democratic age, the more destructive, wicked, ignorant, and unwholistic our approach to elections and governance is.

Yes, customising a democratic concept that places primacy on religion, tribe, political creed, personalityand wanton greed above the country's common good.

Yes, it's not going to be a short process, cos we want it that way( I have to benefit from it before any effective policy change takes place.)

In truth, we are not anywhere near a democratic culture, forget about the political organs or agencies we have in place. In them , self comes before country.

GOD HELP US!
Re: Are We Really Practicing Democracy? by leye1234(m): 8:45pm On Feb 21, 2010
@poster
4 me Nigeria is not a democratic nation because the views of the masses are not used and wit poor use of constitution.wat is the cause of this ugly situation?

[i][/i]
Finally somebody making sense up in here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan Takes Credit For Single Digit Inflation Rate / Jaja Nwachukwu - Nigeria's First Minister Of Aviation / REVEALED: Lavish Lifestyles Of Ogun Comm For Education’s Daughters In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.