Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,825 members, 7,972,957 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 11:38 PM

Welcome To My House - Properties (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Welcome To My House (46080 Views)

DIY Construction Of My House In PH. / The Lessons I Learnt While Building My House / The Finishing Of My House (Oluwa Champion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My House by ijoseda(m): 3:13pm On Apr 20, 2010
hello guys,

how's lasgidi. i'm making contacts with estate agents now. i plan to come to lag mid may for my 1st missionary journey. basically to see what they have to offer. what ya think wink wink wink
Re: Welcome To My House by oduz: 5:33pm On Apr 20, 2010
It feels grt to be one of the pioneer contributors to the first page of this thread, it's nice to see how ice & the gang have nurtured it to 15pages in clean language & useful tips.

I need help from somebody who is familiar with boreholes, ours was dug last yr. After about 9mths it started taking up to 10 minutes to put it on, & last week it finally stopped working & the technician first said we had to replace some electrical components (N4,000) we sighted the new parts but the pump still did not work. The technician now says we need to recoil the submersible pump(N8,000) labour not yet inclusive.

How reliable is it to rewind the coil with these increasing charges, in what looks like a 'trial &/by error' method. The pump is just 0.5 Horsepower & I hear it cost about N25,000 for a new one, the brand we use is Yoko (I doubt if its a reliable one)

The 'nutty' side is that the borehole thing is a combination of plumbing & electrical skills, can one be confident to get a single technician's proficiency in the two,without loosing much to experimentation?

Your advise would be appreciated, we are now on day 5 sans aqua, having to buy water daily in my area (Palmgrove, Lagos) is like appointing a second landlord.  cry
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 20, 2010
ijoseda:

hello guys,

how's lasgidi. i'm making contacts with estate agents now. i plan to come to lag mid may for my 1st missionary journey. basically to see what they have to offer. what ya think wink wink wink

it's a great idea. i wish you plenty of rain. that's the best weather when looking for a house.

@ oduz: wb and where have u been? u don miss o! anyhoo, better late than never i always say.

recoiling a submersible pump is 8k? am i missing something here? no be to remove wire, tie am again? i don't get o!

artisans rarely mix professions (i'm wary when they do sef - jack of all trades master of none anyone?) but they know who needs to work on the other part, and can usually recommend someone 4 u. in this case how ever, i suggest you enlist the services of borehole experts - you know, the ones who drill the hole in the first place. good luck.
Re: Welcome To My House by kingboy(m): 7:44pm On Apr 20, 2010
CANT WAIT FOR THE RAIN TO COME EXCEPT THAT I HAVE TO ATTEND TO MY SITE PROJECT WHICH THE RAIN WILL DISTURB(WHAT DO I REALLY WANT, GUYS LET IT RAIN.

ODUZ
OUR MOMY IN THE HOUSE HAS SPOKEN , JUST CALL THE GUYS BUT I HAD ASK QUESTION FROM THE REWINDER IN YOUR AREA IT COST YOU NOTHING TO ASK ATLEAST IT WILL GIVE SLIGHT IDEA OF WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO.(YOU CAN SEE THEM IN SHOPS WHERE CEILING,STANDING FANS ARE). IHOPE THAT HELP
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 9:41pm On Apr 20, 2010
iceblue:

it's a great idea. i wish you plenty of rain. that's the best weather when looking for a house.

@ oduz: wb and where have u been? u don miss o! anyhoo, better late than never i always say.

recoiling a submersible pump is 8k? am i missing something here? no be to remove wire, tie am again? i don't get o!

artisans rarely mix professions (i'm wary when they do sef - jack of all trades master of none anyone?) but they know who needs to work on the other part, and can usually recommend someone 4 u. in this case how ever, i suggest you enlist the services of borehole experts - you know, the ones who drill the hole in the first place. good luck.
Bring me up to speed. What has rain got to do with house hunting?
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 11:11pm On Apr 20, 2010
plenty!   cheesy cheesy

lots of areas have bad drainage, poorly patched roads, or the compound is the reservoir of all the water from down the street. inside the house u see ceiling/window flaws only when it rains. otherwise, if u ain't careful, or lack the benefit of insider info, u just might pay for a lemon. a rotten one at that  tongue tongue
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 4:40am On Apr 21, 2010
@all,ds heat is fryin ma brain!!!
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 4:44am On Apr 21, 2010
@k2,rain is lyk x-ray vision wen house huntin.all d hidden flaws come out in 3D!
Re: Welcome To My House by ijoseda(m): 7:12am On Apr 21, 2010
maskuraid:

@k2,rain is lyk x-ray vision wen house huntin.all d hidden flaws come out in 3D!
@masky,
ETFPMK grin grin grin grin Erin Ti Fe Pa Mi Ku (laugh don nearly kill me!!!)
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 21, 2010
maskuraid:

only you can come up with something like this!

ETFPMK!! grin grin grin
Re: Welcome To My House by gmattutor: 10:15am On Apr 21, 2010
Hi everyone.

@K2,its been a while since I've been there but its still there. And I hear more are on the way at least in Surulere.

@maskuraid
True talk. my friends got a place on Adelabu street in Surulere sometime back and when the rains started, they would practically relocate everything they owned to the upper level.

@ijoseda
Considering the fact that you would need to do some bit of work on the property when you finally get one, its better to make the landlord(via the agent) give you additional time on your payment. What I mean is if you're paying in June you should make them give you like 2 weeks to one month before the rent actually starts to count. Thats what we did on 2 properties we rented.
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 21, 2010
gmattutor:

Hi everyone.

@ijoseda
Considering the fact that you would need to do some bit of work on the property when you finally get one, its better to make the landlord(via the agent) give you additional time on your payment. What I mean is if you're paying in June you should make them give you like 2 weeks to one month before the rent actually starts to count. Thats what we did on 2 properties we rented.

hey back at ya!

OMG!! why have i never thought of that?! great advice there gmat! thanks. i'll be sure to try it next time - if these money-grabbing landlords will agree cool cool (no offence masky. u know i don't put u in that category grin grin grin - yet tongue tongue)
Re: Welcome To My House by gmattutor: 11:41am On Apr 21, 2010
Money grabbing Landlords especially in this Lagos angry. I know of someone who moved in to a 4 bedroom (i think its 4, i'm not too sure now) place two years back for 1.2m and at the expiration of the two years, the landlord simply asked for 2m.
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 3:08pm On Apr 21, 2010
gmattutor:

Money grabbing Landlords especially in this Lagos angry. I know of someone who moved in to a 4 bedroom (i think its 4, i'm not too sure now) place two years back for 1.2m and at the expiration of the two years, the landlord simply asked for 2m.

I agree you with you on that price increase stuff. My Fam was renting a house in Ajao Estate for like 2M, now comes the time to renew earlier this year the owner said he wants 4m. Thank God popsy just completed another villa in Lagos, na like film trick he do the guy, they just packed and left the place for the landlord. I'm not sure but I think it might still be vacant still be vacant.

Anyhow, me too I wan become Lagos Landlord oh. Not like those taking advantage to folks. I'm mostly likely looking to buy an existing structure, open to lands too sha.
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 3:10pm On Apr 21, 2010
@All. Thanks for the education. Wouldn't have considered that rain is the X-ray. lol Btw, why does one need agent sef? From all the exhorbitant fees that I hear they charge?
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 5:15am On Apr 22, 2010
Agent=leech,pest,nuiscance,parasite(source- dictionary of hardknocks).
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 22, 2010
^^^ awww, c'mon, they're not all terrible. the one who this place for us was actually a gentleman, went the extra mile, and generally provided some level of comfort (he was even advising us on how to counter the mean moves of his manager or the landlord tongue tongue)
Re: Welcome To My House by ijoseda(m): 9:23am On Apr 22, 2010
@icey,

can i have the guys number? is he with Diya them i want to ask if he has anything for me in gbagada. what ya think?
Re: Welcome To My House by gmattutor: 12:15pm On Apr 22, 2010
there are very few direct lettings so yep you have to deal with some leeches who usually try to suck all the blood for deliberately giving you rotten logs. Some agents are so bad they really don't care if the property is practically falling down, all they want it their cut. You especially have to be careful when renovations are to be made before you move in. Make doubly sure they do what they are supposed to do cos once you move in you're on your own.
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 3:51pm On Apr 22, 2010
Sorry guys, I want to ask more questions. Who pays the agent? The tenant or landlord or both? Also, why are there not much direct leases is that due to agents collusion?
Re: Welcome To My House by maskuraid(m): 5:19pm On Apr 22, 2010
D little i knw,agents make money frm rippin off innocent househunters.all they do is prevent u frm seein d landlord & 'force' u to pay for a longer tenure.they also collect agency fees etc.d more u pay,d higher they get,
Re: Welcome To My House by kingboy(m): 5:36pm On Apr 22, 2010
k2
This is Lagos where anything is possible,the tenant pays the agent.Lets look at it this way,you let a house for 400k/year.You are to pay for 2 years i.e
400k x 2yrs        =                           800k
Agent fees         =  (10% of 800k) is 80k
commision          = (10%  of  800k) is 80k
Refundable fees =                              50k
Total         =                              1.1million

This is the minimum you pay for an apartment with the price above,thats if you are not ask to pay for 3years or more.
I think personally the so called agents are the ones that made Lagos houses to be costly cos you do not have access to the real owners.imagine this the owner ask you rent for 10k,agents get a tenant and rent it out for 40k,if you were the owner wont you smile?
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 22, 2010
ijoseda:

@icey,

can i have the guys number? is he with Diya them i want to ask if he has anything for me in gbagada. what ya think?

i haven't got my contacts back yet, will ask around. he was, but he's been laid off. the good ones tend to go first. i taya.
Re: Welcome To My House by kingboy(m): 5:43pm On Apr 22, 2010
if i am right Lagos house rent sky rocketed after the demolision of MAROKO by the then Lagos state millitary administartor(RAJI RASAKI) which is now known as maroko sandfill etc
Re: Welcome To My House by lawyer(m): 6:27pm On Apr 22, 2010
Just popped in to say howdy pipo and hope no agent is giving you guys wahala grin! Hope everything is okay!

Cheers
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 22, 2010
hey hey lawyer! me na fire for fire i be. no shaking tongue tongue

kingboy:

if i am right Lagos house rent sky rocketed after the demolision of MAROKO by the then Lagos state millitary administartor(RAJI RASAKI) which is now known as maroko sandfill etc

speaking of government, pls who knows what's going on with the tenancy bill? the one where they would force landlord to charge rent on a monthly, rather than 2-yearly basis? if it was money for end of year party or furniture allowance, they would have passed it since o! angry angry
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 7:58pm On Apr 22, 2010
@Lawyer, How you dey?

@Kingboy, Based on what you wrote, the idea I had in mind might not work becuase of greed and because demand outstrips supply. It'd be more convenient and cost effective though.
Re: Welcome To My House by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 22, 2010
^^^ i'm lost. undecided
Re: Welcome To My House by K2: 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2010
iceblue:

^^^ i'm lost.  undecided
Iceblock, you need to comot from inside that freezer compartment o. No wonder you dey lost.
Re: Welcome To My House by axeman85(m): 10:09pm On Apr 22, 2010
@all

na wao for una ooo. una no see me post anything close to 2weeks and none of you guys bothered to ask after me. na wao. na so una like me rach abi ? anyway no wahala. volcanic ash no disturb me at all i stand gidigba. no shaking.

@kingboy.
we go possibly hook up at some point next week make we for arrange small groove for area oo.  grin na my nmber wey i dey use for lagos be dis oo. it will be active as from sunday night. 07063086649 so if u no mind, make u holla me make we do something. same for masky as well to give directions to his newly completed mansion. as i wan groove by ya swimming pool.

@masky
Now is the time, u beta get the food and drinks ready. we must wash that you house ooo.  grin
@ice
no comment
@k2

how body, alapere nko ?  ba wo ni gbo gbo ameria ? obama nko  ati clinton ?
Re: Welcome To My House by ijoseda(m): 10:26pm On Apr 22, 2010
@axey

ma binu oko iya mi (no vex the husband of my mother). this PH wahala no gree me remember una. abeg no vex. whats the 411?
Re: Welcome To My House by axeman85(m): 10:38pm On Apr 22, 2010
ijoseda:

@axey

ma binu oko iya mi (no vex the husband of my mother). this PH wahala no gree me remember una. abeg no vex. whats the 411?

mo binu ga ni oo. ma saa mi . mio gba/iya mo oko melo ti won ni oo. lol

anyway how ph dey and ow body and work ? well i dey well jare my borther. i for enter lagos earlier jare but this volcanic ash wahal made things grounded here in uk and rest of europe. so na sunday i wan enter lagos imagine dem dey tell me if i wwan enter business class make i come pay £1900 as if no be di same time, first,business and economy go land lagos together. grin
i bin wan stay 1 week for naija but plenty groove ey so i have extended it to 2and half weeks, my office no gree give me holiday dem just give me 4days, so i my enemy will have boil on the back side for the remainder of the weeks. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (29) (Reply)

Opening Of Saudi Arabia $2B World's Tallest Building Pushed To 2019(photos). / Lagos Demolishes Adebutu Kessignton, Baba-Ijebu's 4-storey Building / Lagos roofing contractor.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.