Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,362 members, 7,904,423 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 01:17 PM

Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] (6655 Views)

Poll: Which team will win this 1st leg encounter?

FC Porto: 50% (5 votes)
Arsenal: 30% (3 votes)
Neither; they'll draw: 20% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

FC Porto Vs Chelsea: UCL (2 - 1) On 29th September 2015 / Arsenal Vs Stoke City (1 - 0) On February 2, 2013 / Newcastle Vs Chelsea (3 - 2) On February 2, 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by rasputinn(m): 10:55pm On Feb 17, 2010
HNIC:

Anyone remebers the Rozzi penalty shout
If that wasn't a penalty,I wonder what is
Referee was a disgrace!!!!!!!!

Now that you mentioned it,I wondered if we all conspired not to talk about it,do you recall that Portos 2nd goal came moments after Rozzy's pen denial,if the ref had given the pen,Porto wouldn't have scored the second,who knows,we would(not may)have won,but all that is spilled milk now

The ref was a complete DISGRACE,I wonder why they make these mistakes at such top levels
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by proudly9ja(m): 10:58pm On Feb 17, 2010
Let's take the ref out of the situation for a mo, Our performance was almost disgraceful! HOw many corners did we waste? including that one at the tail end?

And why did Wenger bring out Bendtner the only aerial threat upfront for a short Vela? Ild only accept it if he was injured!

We didn't play too well, neither did Porto. We threw the game away!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by proudly9ja(m): 10:59pm On Feb 17, 2010
By the way, the ref was the same ref who handled the notorious France vs Ireland game, lol
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by asscend: 11:02pm On Feb 17, 2010
MR CRACKLES

CROSS OR NO CROSS, IT WAS AN ATTEMT AIMED TOWARDS THE POST, HOW MANY DID ARSENAL TAKE TODAY?

DOMINATE POSESSION YES, BUT NO END PRODUCT.

I KNOW YOU THINK YOUR'E THE ONLY ONE THAT KNOWS FOOT BALL, HOWEVER EVEN PAID PUNDITS AND COMENTATORS ARE SAYING THE SAME THING.

FINISH TEAMS OFF BY MAKING MORE POSITIVE EFFORT ON GOAL.

JUST SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT,
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by MrCrackles(m): 11:04pm On Feb 17, 2010
asscend:

MR CRACKLES
CROSS OR NO CROSS, IT WAS AN ATTEMT AIMED TOWARDS THE POST, HOW MANY DID ARSENAL TAKE TODAY?
I KNOW YOU THINK YOUR'E THE ONLY ONE THAT KNOWS FOOT BALL, HOWEVER EVEN PAID PUNDITS AND COMENTATORS ARE SAYING THE SAME THING.
I just realised i have been wasting my time on a raaaasclaat!
Pssf!!!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by HNIC(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2010
asscend:

MR CRACKLES

One question-How has Arsenal scored 60 goals in the league this season in 24/25 matches?
By pass,pass,pass
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by MrCrackles(m): 11:11pm On Feb 17, 2010
HNIC:

One question-How has Arsenal scored 60 goals in the league this season in 24/25 matches?
By pass,pass,pass
Dont waste your time. . . the dude is suffering from dementia coupled with charg strauss syndrome and incorrect positioning of the medulla oblongata!!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by presido1: 11:12pm On Feb 17, 2010
Arsenal gat no plan B, when the pass pass pass did not work you guys are likely to draw of get beaten.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by asscend: 11:14pm On Feb 17, 2010
MR CRACKLES

NO NEED TO CALL NAMES, IF YOU CANT MAKE YOUR POINT WITHOUT NAME CALLING, THEN YOUR'E NOT MATURED ENOUGH.

I HAVE NOT USED OFFENSIVE WORDS OR CALLED YOU NAMES SO PLS REFRAIN FROM SUCH.

YOUR NAME SUGGEST YOU BRING JOKES SO DO THAT AND LEAVE THE OFFENSIVE WORDS.  

ITS JUST A GAME WERE TALKING ABOUT,  HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,

CHEERS,
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by asscend: 11:16pm On Feb 17, 2010
PRESIDO 1 THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS. THATS EXACTLY THE FACT.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Ticog: 11:27pm On Feb 17, 2010
Aseni wenger kom 2 nija and buy paki 4 ur little 2x)players so dat dey will strength 2 play like chelsea every time.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by SeXyBoNE: 12:21am On Feb 18, 2010
Useless Clueless Fuulish club and old gay and idiotic manager

maybe he thinks other club that buy xperienced players dont kno how to make money for their clubs, prof my ass.

u don dey try make history for over 5 years, e no work, u kno go give up?

you want to win CL with kindergarten, keep tryin sha, if u die leave am ur pikin go take over from were u for stop
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by MrCrackles(m): 12:22am On Feb 18, 2010
SeXyBoNE:

maybe he thinks other club that buy xperienced players dont kno how to make money for their clubs, prof my backside.

you want to win CL with kindergarten, keep tryin sha, if u die leave am your pikin go take over from were u for stop
Take a dump and relax. .
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by proudly9ja(m): 2:55am On Feb 18, 2010
Sol was clearly blocked

watch 0.19 and 0.46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGpV5aK-WHs
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Nobody: 7:29am On Feb 18, 2010
Good game considering the squad put out.
Hope you guys will stop abusing Sol now. . . cheesy
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by dyabman(m): 9:17am On Feb 18, 2010
SeXyBoNE:

maybe he thinks other club that buy xperienced players dont kno how to make money for their clubs, prof my backside.

you want to win CL with kindergarten, keep tryin sha, if u die leave am your pikin go take over from were u for stop

take it easy sexbone, this is just the beginning tongue
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by tkb417(m): 9:22am On Feb 18, 2010
hahahaha

Fabianski is a goat

Arsenal shd kill them off at the emirates tho cos those Porto guys didnt do nothn
Even with the injured players, i think the gunners tried

good game
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by olaolabiy: 10:13am On Feb 18, 2010
sorry guys.the headline should read 'porto beat',not 'porto beats'.plz.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by loyika(m): 10:34am On Feb 18, 2010
While not taking sides, HNIC and MrCrackles i do see Asscend's point!!

We don't shoot enough Most of Fat frank's goals have come from deflected shots, We didn't have a player in the Scholes or Gerrard mode in the game last nite. (With Arshahoho being injured and all) Rozzi was the only player happy to take a pop from distance.

Thats why i decided to switch off the team immediately RVP got injured, cause even if Arsenal lose with him on the pitch, you are at least sure the keepers hands (or Bar/post will suffer some bruising)

Diaby could have taken the shot (crowded pen area or not) WE HAD NOTHING TO F^CKING LOSE AT THAT STAGE!! If you say he was tired, i agree, but crowded area or defender running at you (What were they meant to do in the first place) doesn't cut it!! If you aren't prepared to break you legs for the team  grin then get the hell out. If that chance had fallen to either The Verminator or RVP, I CAN BET MY GRANS A**  tongue they would have taken a couple of defenders heads off with a shot.

We score a lot of goals, thats not being disputed, but when you are 2-1 down in a CL game and have only 5 mins or less to play for, BY JOVE I DON'T CARE IF YOU BALLOON ALL YOUR SHOTS!! SHOOT THE DAMN BALL!! Scholes scored with his standing leg FFS!! That didn't stop him celebrating as if he had won the UCL trophy!!

Having said that, the performance wasn't that bad considering the personnel we had out cry Song would have protected Cesc (Delnilson doesn't just get it does he). Gallas can be given a rest as Sol seems pumped up cool GOD PLS WHEN IS RVP COMING BACK!!! cry cry cry cry cry

As for Lukas tongue tongue If Vito is not made first choice keeper till the end of the season, i will always switch off my TV (and count to 50 before putting it back on grin ) anytime we are being attacked or defending a corner or free kick.

Oh well, The Red and White Army moves on to Sundrland and Darren "Flipping" Bent tongue tongue Hope there are no Balloons in the ground on Sunday oh grin before any of the 2 clowns (depending on who Arsene picks in goal) decides to do "The Reina"

Lukas and Manu can form their own keeper's Tag Team - "Legion of Doom" with Silvestre as their Manager grin

grin GOONER 89
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by allboyz(m): 12:26pm On Feb 18, 2010
first 2-1 to porto

lets meets at the EMIRATE in 3wks time for the 2nd half!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by 9jawear(m): 1:04pm On Feb 18, 2010
GONE are the GUNNERs!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by pek(m): 1:48pm On Feb 18, 2010
ola olabiy:

sorry guys.the headline should read 'porto beat',not 'porto beats'.plz.
a bit of English here:
collective noun take singular verb.
when we talk of collective noun, we are talking of those things that involve more than two person. a team is a good example. even if the team is made up of a million people, it is singular in concept. we say, the team is doing well and not the team are doing well. Porto is a team and as such the auxiliary verb will be singular.so, the caption is correct.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by blackmann(m): 2:01pm On Feb 18, 2010
[b]i didn't watch the match but i just watched the replay of the controversial goal. I don't seem to get it. . . .Sol was trying to sheperd the ball back to fabianski but his foot mistakenly touched the ball. Mistake or no mistake, once the foot touches the ball, that IS a backpass and fabianksi has no business picking the ball up with his hands.

2ndly, i could count about 3 or 4 arsenal players strolling leisurely towards the goal. in any circumstance one or two of them should have at least gone to cover and block the player IMMEDIATELY to prevent the fast freekick.

Another thing i still don't understand is the reaction of Sol Campbell. why did he do that? once he realized the free kick, he should have blocked the player immediately, even if it means getting a yellow card, but i guess the emotions of the moment overwhelmed him.

lastly, Arsene Wenger is such in bad taste. i remember some seasons ago when Henry would play free kicks quickly which resulted in goals. he was happy then. now that the tables are turned, he's raking.  the last i heard, the whistle that stops the ball, starts the ball. or is he saying that if it were his team that did the same thing he won't be happy? Karma's a B@TCH man.

My two cents.[/b]
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by snowdrops(m): 2:05pm On Feb 18, 2010
blackmann:

[b]i didn't watch the match but i just watched the replay of the controversial goal. I don't seem to get it. . . .Sol was trying to sheperd the ball back to fabianski but his foot mistakenly touched the ball. Mistake or no mistake, once the foot touches the ball, that IS a backpass and fabianksi has no business picking the ball up with his hands.

2ndly, i could count about 3 or 4 arsenal players strolling leisurely towards the goal. in any circumstance one or two of them should have at least gone to cover and block the player IMMEDIATELY to prevent the fast freekick.

Another thing i still don't understand is the reaction of Sol Campbell. why did he do that? once he realized the free kick, he should have blocked the player immediately, even if it means getting a yellow card, but i guess the emotions of the moment overwhelmed him.

lastly, Arsene Wenger is such in bad taste. i remember some seasons ago when Henry would play free kicks quickly which resulted in goals. he was happy then. now that the tables are turned, he's raking. the last i heard, the whistle that stops the ball, starts the ball. or is he saying that if it were his team that did the same thing he won't be happy? Karma's a B@TCH man.

My two cents.[/b]
Very good observations.
End of the day, the buck stops at Wengers table. He is the one solely responsible for bringing these players into the team; for buying only Sol Campbell, a 35 yr old retiree from an obscure league inot his team. This was his only signing in the transfer window, when his team has the worst defence amognst the title contenders.
Sadly after all said it is going to be another fruitless season for them and players like Fabregas may well be heading fot the exit.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Tattooboy: 4:26pm On Feb 18, 2010
never blived arsenal could lose that match.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by ABS1(m): 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2010
blackmann:

lastly, Arsene Wenger is such in bad taste. i remember some seasons ago when Henry would play free kicks quickly which resulted in goals. he was happy then. now that the tables are turned, he's raking.  the last i heard, the whistle that stops the ball, starts the ball. or is he saying that if it were his team that did the same thing he won't be happy? Karma's a B@TCH man.

My two cents.[/b]

Puleeeze, Henry did it once and it was at least 25 yards out, not in the penalty box. Where have u ever seen an indirect free-kick (the penalty box type) played before a wall was mounted
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by presido1: 6:39pm On Feb 18, 2010
A.B.S:

Puleeeze, Henry did it once and it was at least 25 yards out, not in the penalty box. Where have u ever seen an indirect free-kick (the penalty box type) played before a wall was mounted
Henry did it against Chelsea, Villa and M'boro go and check your facts b4 spewing bunkum.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by naso2(m): 6:44pm On Feb 18, 2010
A.B.S:

25 Yards or inside the box, whats the difference?. The referee signals a free kick and except on grounds where he is booking a player or determining where the wall should be positioned the free kick can be taken immediately. In this case the call was an indirect kick and the wall would have been on the goal line.

While I expected Arsenal to be smarter, we must no loose sight of the fact that the Porto player took a gamble too, to have hastily taken an indirect kick that fast, if any arsenal player had blocked the shoot a golden chance would have been wasted. In this case the risk paid off for porto. Wenger should just keep quiet and prepare for the second leg
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by elbereth: 7:24pm On Feb 18, 2010
Guys, we're gonna defeat Porto when they come to the Emirates
Porto never perform good in England
we're going to get past them.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by slap1(m): 7:36pm On Feb 18, 2010
Whenever Arsenal is beaten, it's on the front page. No lele!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by blackmann(m): 8:07pm On Feb 18, 2010
presido1:

Henry did it against Chelsea, Villa and M'boro go and check your facts b4 spewing bunkum.

Thanks for replying him cos i was going to give him one.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by astuto: 8:30pm On Feb 18, 2010
So who are we blaming here for Arsenal's defeat yesterday? I have some options:

A. Fabianski
B. Arsene Wenger
C. Sol Campbell
D. Martin Hansson (the referee)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Funny Great Moment Picture In Sport / Pre-season Friendly Tournament Guide / Manchester City Vs Sunderland (3 - 2) On 1st January 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.