Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,093 members, 7,939,425 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 04:39 AM

Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] (6711 Views)

Poll: Which team will win this 1st leg encounter?

FC Porto: 50% (5 votes)
Arsenal: 30% (3 votes)
Neither; they'll draw: 20% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

FC Porto Vs Chelsea: UCL (2 - 1) On 29th September 2015 / Arsenal Vs Stoke City (1 - 0) On February 2, 2013 / Newcastle Vs Chelsea (3 - 2) On February 2, 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by proudly9ja(m): 12:13am On Feb 19, 2010
In as much as I would not condone Sol Campbell's unprofessional attitude of 'losing concentration' one will see from the pic above and videos I posted earlier that the ref WAS BLOCKING Sol's attempt to block the ball.

Anyways, its past. The next match is against Sunderland. Porto will meet us at the Emirates!
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by rasputinn(m): 8:05am On Feb 19, 2010
ola olabiy:

sorry guys.the headline should read 'porto beat',not 'porto beats'.plz.

That's if you're taking it as part of a reported statement such as"In the match played two days ago between FC Porto and Arsenal,Porto beat Arsenal, "

So nuffin wrong with the thread topic as the teams were addressed in a collective noun case

pek:

a bit of English here:
collective noun take singular verb.
when we talk of collective noun, we are talking of those things that involve more than two person. a team is a good example. even if the team is made up of a million people, it is singular in concept. we say, the team is doing well and not the team are doing well. Porto is a team and as such the auxiliary verb will be singular.so, the caption is correct.

Nothin' do you bruv
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by rasputinn(m): 8:06am On Feb 19, 2010
ola olabiy:

sorry guys.the headline should read 'porto beat',not 'porto beats'.plz.

That's if you're taking it as part of a reported statement such as"In the match played two days ago between FC Porto and Arsenal,Porto beat Arsenal, "

So nuffin wrong with the thread topic as the teams were addressed in a collective noun case

pek:

a bit of English here:
collective noun take singular verb.
when we talk of collective noun, we are talking of those things that involve more than two person. a team is a good example. even if the team is made up of a million people, it is singular in concept. we say, the team is doing well and not the team are doing well. Porto is a team and as such the auxiliary verb will be singular.so, the caption is correct.

Nothin' do you bruv
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by rasputinn(m): 8:11am On Feb 19, 2010
astuto:

So who are we blaming here for Arsenal's defeat yesterday? I have some options:

A. Fabianski
B. Arsene Wenger
C. Sol Campbell
D. Martin Hansson (the referee)

What's your stock in trade,dealing in spilled milk?

IMO it's not necessary,one thing's sure;Porto WILL be gunned down @ the Emirates with a vengeance

@ Bluediva

I can't help but commend your "strange" objectivity on our thread this time around,I'll try and return the favour next time you guys lose a game in the EPL(which I pray will be soon and on the bounce cheesy cheesy cheesy)

So as I don prize trouble so,let me go ahead and wish you a very lovely day ahead cheesy cheesy
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by TJ3(m): 3:11pm On Feb 19, 2010
FIFA is making a big mistake by including the REF for the WC. bcoc he has proven to be unable to handle big match. Watch out for him at the world cup. Arsenal should be careful of counter attacking style porto in the second leg. I hope diaby return b4 next leg.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by TMmoney: 4:57pm On Feb 19, 2010
please, my naira people was that second goal supposed to be allowed or not?
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by ABS1(m): 10:26pm On Feb 19, 2010
presido1:

Henry did it against Chelsea, Villa and M'boro go and check your facts b4 spewing bunkum.

o.k, seen one other incident and still I saw a wall was mounted. Bunkum!!!, What is it with you nairalanders blowin BIG grammar in simple sentences ? rotflmao
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by olaolabiy: 11:02pm On Feb 19, 2010
rasputinn:

Nothin' do you bruv

mr pek,
that is American English.In British English,that is wrong.you can google this.In Nigeria,British English rules.

This is also British English practice with names of countries and cities in sports contexts; for example, "Germany have won the competition," "Madrid have lost three consecutive matches," etc. In American English, collective nouns usually take singular verb forms (formal agreement), but either a singular or plural verb is correct American usage where the noun is understood as a group of individual components.
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Nobody: 7:40pm On Feb 27, 2010
Where on earth are the moderators? angry
Re: Champions League: Porto Vs Arsenal On 17th February [2 - 1] by Shagati(m): 8:06pm On Feb 27, 2010
The guy has posted this on 34 threads as at the time of writing this
He may be disturbed shocked
Who knows

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UCL: Bayern Munich Vs Manchester City (2 - 0) On 27th September 2011 / Celtic vs Barcelona - UCL - (0 - 1) On 1st October 2013 / Chelsea Vs Bournemouth (2 - 1) On 19th May 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.