Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,147 members, 7,887,329 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:53 AM

The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ - Sports (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ (40819 Views)

Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? / The Rise And Rise Of Samuel Chukwueze / Russia 2018 – Hazard Takes Swipe At England’s Golden Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:48pm On Oct 10, 2017
2018 World Cup: Senate urges FG to fund Super Eagles with recovered loots
By Samson Atekojo Usman 

Following Super Eagles qualifications for 2018 World Cup in Russia, the Senate on Tuesday, praised the team for being the first to qualify in African continent.

Raising through order 42 of Senate rules, Chairman, Senate Committee on Sports, Obinna Ogba explained that Eagles were exceptional in defeating Zambia, saying that, they deserved further encouragement from the federal government.

Senator Samuel Anyanwu representing Imo East Senatorial district observed that Nigeria sports had history of under-funding of her players. He suggested that loots recovered by the federal government should be channeled into funding of Super Eagles.

“Mr. President, distinguished colleagues, Nigeria has always been qualifying, but paucity of funds has always been an issue despite wonderful performances like these”,. he said.

“I want to suggest that stolen funds recoverd by the federal government scattered here and there should be used to fund the Super Eagles”, Anyanwu suggested.

Meanwhile, Senate President, after taking the leave of Chambers, maintained that Nigeria Sports ministry should release funds on time for early preparation of Super Eagles.
He commended Supper Eagles for their high level of patriotism.

Source: http://dailypost.ng/2017/10/10/2018-world-cup-senate-urges-fg-fund-super-eagles-recovered-loots/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:00pm On Oct 10, 2017
Rohr: I am happy working with this group

Franco –German tactician Gernot Rohr has revealed he is elated working with the Super Eagles, after the three –time African champions became the first African country to qualify for the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup on Saturday.

“I am very excited to be working with this team: a blend of the experienced and the young and ambitious ones. They are a delight to be with at all times, and I believe we are onto great things.

“At the beginning of the qualifying series, many people said we were going to be chasing it. But we sat down together and we promised ourselves that we would go all out and get the ticket.”
The 64 –year old, who was employed by the Nigeria Football Federation 15 months ago, has played 10 matches, winning six and losing only one.

His victories include a 1-0 defeat of Tanzania in Uyo in September 2016; 2-1 defeat of Zambia in Ndola in October 2016 at the start of the 2018 World Cup race; a 3-1 defeat of Algeria in Uyo in November 2016; a 3-0 defeat of Togo in a friendly match in Paris in June 2017; a 4-0 bashing of Cameroon in Uyo in September 2017 and; a 1-0 defeat of Zambia in Uyo in October 2017, which guaranteed the World Cup ticket.

The only loss was against South Africa’s Bafana Bafana in Uyo, at the start of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in June 2017.

“That match was a big wake –up call for us. Now that we have the World Cup ticket, we will go all out for the AFCON ticket and get it.

“When you have a team that has so much self –belief, a lot of things are possible. Age is but a number. I feel young and able and willing to go on working with this group."

Source: http://www.thenff.com/2017/10/rohr-i-am-happy-working-with-his-group/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:27pm On Oct 10, 2017
Leon Balogun Reveals Favourite Nigerian Dish & Love For Wizkid’s Ojuelegba

Super Eagles and Mainz 05 defender Leon Balogun has revealed his favourite Nigerian meal and also his love for the hit song Ojuelegba done by Nigerian music super star Wizkid.

In an interview with Omasports TV, the German-Nigerian defender told Oma Akatugba about his love for the country he successfully helped qualify for next year World Cup in Russia.

” Egusi is my favourite. I also like plantain “, was his response when he was asked about his favourite meal during the course of the interview where he also revealed he has a German girlfriend.

Balogun further said he listens to Nigerian music with Wizkid’s Ojuelegba among his favourite tracks which also includes Tekno’s hit song Pana.

” I listen to Wizkid a lot, and I like the remix of ‘Ojuelegba ‘. I also like pana”, he said before proceeding to singing some lines of the song as demanded by the interviewer.

” I also like the song Omalicha. I listen to Nigerian songs before games because they make me happy and give me a good feeling. They give me release “, he further said.

” In the dressing room, there are Turkish and German songs, even English songs, but they’re always very sad and slow. But the Nigerian songs come with lots of energy. I played with Claudio Pizarro, and he always listened to his South American music and they’re similar to the Nigerian songs. They give a lot of energy “.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/10/leon-balogun-reveals-favourite-nigerian-dish-love-for-wizkids-ojuelegba/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:17pm On Oct 10, 2017
Exclusive: Names Of New Coaches, Assistant Coaches, GK Trainers For Nigeria National Teams

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that the Nigeria Football Federation are set to announce the appointments of new coaches, assistant coaches, goalkeeper trainers for the various national teams except the Super Eagles.

The Nigerian Federation received 300 applications and shortlisted 68 candidates for national team jobs, and interviews were held in August.

The interview questions were based on technical, managerial and administrative capabilities.

A meeting attended by Barrister Christoper Green, Ahmed Yusuf Fresh, Mr Paul, Barrister Isaac Danladi, Garba Lawal, Victor Ikpeba, Bitrus Bewarang and Abdul Rafiu Yusuf was held at the Boardroom of the Federation and the Technical and Development Committee has recommended the appointment of the following coaches:

Nigeria U23/Dream Team

Head Coach : Kennedy Boboye

First Assistant Coach : Monday Odigie

Second Assistant Coach : Baba Ganaru Mohammed

Goalkeeper Trainer : Etta Egbe

Nigeria U20/Flying Eagles

Head Coach : Paul Aigbogun

First Assistant Coach : Hassan Abdullahi Sheriff

Second Assistant Coach : Abdulahi Biffo

Goalkeeper Trainer : Sulaiman Shuaibu

Nigeria U17/ Golden Eaglets

Head Coach : Finidi George

First Assistant Coach : Bala Abubakar

Second Assistant Coach : Mbwas Magnut

Goalkeeper Trainer : Baruwa Olatunji

Nigeria U13 & U15 Male

Head Coach : Nasidi Danladi Alala

First Assistant Coach : Haruna Usman

Second Assistant Coach : Bunmi Haruna

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Photo Credit : thenff.com

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24962
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:21pm On Oct 10, 2017
Iwobi: I’d Love To Convince Abraham To Make Nigeria Switch
By Johnny Edward

Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi is ready to convince Swansea City striker Tammy Abraham to pledge his allegiance to Nigeria, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Abraham has been courted by the Nigerian Football Federation to make a switch to the Super Eagles but the 19-year-old still representing England at the U-21 level is yet agree to the switch, even publicly rebutting his parent’s country of birth’s advances.

Iwobi who also made an international switch from England in 2015 admitted in an interview with Completesportsnigeria.com that he understands the difficulty Abraham may face in making a decision.

“Obviously it’s going to be difficult when you’re playing in your comfort zone, representing England,” Iwobi told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“Some of these players have been raised up in England and they play for England. So that’s all they know.

“If I get through to him I could talk to him but at the end of the day it’s not my decision; it’s for him to decide.

“However for me switching, and Ola Aina as well it’s been great. Nigerians are very welcoming and you will enjoy your time. Personally I’d advice Abraham and others to switch because they will enjoy their time playing for Nigeria.”

Iwobi came off the substitutes bench to score Nigeria’s only goal against Zambia on Saturday to secure a berth in next year’s FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iwobi-id-love-convince-abraham-nigeria/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:24pm On Oct 10, 2017
Pinnick To Preside Over AFCON Organising Committee Meeting Wednesday In Cairo

Nigeria Football Federation President Amaju Pinnick, according to the official website of the NFF, will oversee his first meeting as chairman of the Organizing Committee for Africa Cup of Nations on Wednesday, 11 October 2017 in Cairo.
Pinnick was elected into the Executive Committee of CAF the Confederation and and his headship of the Organizing Committee for the Africa Cup of Nations marks the first time the committee is not headed by the CAF President.

Top on the agenda of the meeting is the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon.

Pinnick and his team will deliberate on the audit company to be appointed for auditing of the facilities put in place by the Local Organising Committee in Cameroon and when the company will visit that country.
The 1st Vice President of the Committee is South Africa FA boss, Dr. Danny Jordaan while Zimbabwe FA boss, Dr. Philip Chiyangwa is the 2nd Vice President.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/pinnick-afcon-meeting-wednesday-cairo/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:31pm On Oct 10, 2017
CAF Emergency Committee Meets In Lagos Saturday

The Emergency Committee of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) will hold a meeting in Lagos on Saturday, 14th October 2017, reports Completesportsnigeria.com .

The Nigeria Football Federation official website confirmed the date and venue of the CAF meeting which will dwell on issues bothering on tournaments that will hold in 2018, as well recent developments in the game since the new board headed by Ahmad Ahmad took over.

The CAF Emergency Committee is chaired by Committee of the Confederation of African Football President Ahmad, and also have on it the three Vice Presidents of CAF as Members, as well as NFF President Amaju Pinnick, Liberia FA President Hassan Musa Bility and CAF Referees Committee head, Souleiman Hassan Waberi. The Confederation of African Football eggheads are also members of the CAF Executive Committee.

CAF’s three Vice Presidents are made up of Ghana’s Kwesi Nyantakyi (1st Vice President), Democratic Republic of Congo’s Omari Constant Selemani (2nd Vice President) and Morocco’s Fouzi Lekjaa (3rd Vice President).

The Confederation of African Football chieftains are expected to watch the 2017 AITEO Cup final between Akwa United and Niger Tornadoes at the Agege Stadium Lagos on Sunday, October 15.

NFF President Pinnick, according to Thenff.com , will receive Confederation of African Football boss Ahmad at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos on Friday, 13th October, along with other members of the Emergency Committee who are expected to arrive same day.

There is expected to be ‘An Evening With Ahmad,’ a dinner on Saturday night, with Members of the diplomatic community and NFF’s sponsors, and partners as guests.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/caf-emergency-meets-lagos-saturday/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:47pm On Oct 10, 2017
Buba Mustapha called up to Pacos de Ferreira first team
By ScoreNigeria admin

Midfielder Buba Mustapha has been called up from the U19s to train with the first team of Portuguese club Pacos de Ferreira.

Former FC Hearts star Buba Mustapha, 18, has shone with the Pacos de Ferreira U19s and so his promotion to the main squad.

The tall defensive midfielder is highly rated for his versatility, technique, athletic prowess and he also packs a decent shot.

In the summer, he signed a three-year contract with the Portuguese club after he impressed on trials.
Pacos de Ferreira are 10th in the Portuguese top league with nine points from eight matches.

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/10/buba-mustapha-called-up-to-pacos-de-ferreira-first-team/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:49pm On Oct 10, 2017
Chinedu Obasi resumes training at AIK Solna after 5-week injury layoff
By ScoreNigeria admin

Nigeria international Chinedu Obasi has resumed training with Swedish club AIK Solna after he was sidelined by a knee injury since the end of August.

Obasi, who is in his second spell at AIK, hurt his knee on August 27 in a 1-1 home draw with Djurgarden.

He scored his third league goal on the day but was then forced to quit the game in the 65 th minute on account of injury.

“He only resumed training yesterday after the injury in the game against Djurgarden,” a source close to the forward informed SCORENigeria

“He felt pain in the knee after he was kicked there during the match during which he scored from the penalty spot.”

The former Hoffenheim and Schalke 04 star, 31, is in his second spell at AIK after a lucrative transfer to Chinese second division side Shenzhen was terminated before it was due to run out.

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/10/chinedu-obasi-resumes-training-at-aik-solna-after-5-week-injury-layoff/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:25pm On Oct 10, 2017
NIGERIA DESERVED TO QUALIFY FOR WORLD CUP, SAYS ZAMBIA'S PATSON DAKA
By Samuel Ahmadu, Correspondent

Following his side's defeat in Uyo, the forward who missed the encounter due to injury admits Gernot Rohr's men deserved to be in Russia

Patson Daka says Nigeria truly deserved to qualify for the 2018 Fifa World Cup with victory over Zambia at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium.

The Salzburg forward was ruled out of the encounter due to injury as the Chipolopolo bowed 1-0 in Uyo.

However, the 19-year-old praised Wedson Nyerinda’s men for putting up a good fight last Saturday, admitting the Super Eagles were super on the day taking their chances.

"Football is a game of chances, the team that scores more goals than the other becomes a winner," Daka told Goal .

"In this case, Nigeria took their chance and we didn't, so they deserve to win and qualify for the World Cup. I don't know how to describe the injury because it couldn't allow me to play the game against Nigeria.

"First of all, I thank God for the result, it wasn't the result we wanted but our plans are not God's plans, I give credit to the team for the wonderful performance it wasn't an easy game more especially it being an away game.

"The game is now history, so we won't dwell on it but forge ahead because I believe we have a bright future and we are heading somewhere with better things are coming."

"It's normal for every player to have that feeling because it's what I love to do but I respect the technical decision for not playing me because they knew it's for the betterment of the team and didn't want to worsen things.

"When I get disappointed, I will just be inviting negativity which won't change anything, it was beyond anyone's control the doctors did what they could but because it was written that I won't play so it happened.

"Another man's absence it's another man's success, so God wanted to use someone else to show how glorious and mighty he is. I have and still experiencing the grace and favour of God in my career."

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/nigeria-deserved-to-qualify-for-world-cup-says-zambias-daka/inw4j3oj3gew1dwxsxo7hl5ia

1 Like

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:28pm On Oct 10, 2017
SHEHU ABDULLAHI WANTS ADEQUATE PREPARATIONS FOR 2018 WORLD CUP
By Kolade Oni

The defender says a good build up to Russia 2018 will guarantee Super Eagles a good outing in Russia

Anorthosis Famagusta's Shehu Abdullahi says the Super Eagles must prepare adequately for the 2018 World Cup if they hope to go far in the competition.
The Eagles defeated the Chipolopolo of Zambia 1-0 courtesy Alex Iwobi's strike. And Abdullahi who was named man of the match expressed his delight being a part of the team and opines that a good preparation will help Gernor Rohr's men in Russia.

“It is always every player’s joy to go to the World Cup and it was the reason we were very happy at the end of the game," he told
Goal.

"We celebrated wildly in the dressing room but we need to also focus on having a good World Cup next year.

“It was crucial that we got the World Cup ticket before the final game because it will take our minds off pressure.

“We will go to Algeria with a relaxed mind, but we must still do our best as professionals to ensure that we preserve our unbeaten record.

"It won’t be easy in Algeria because they will like to come all out to prove doubters wrong that they are still a good side despite their disappointing World Cup qualification campaign."

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/shehu-wants-adequate-preparations-for-2018-world-cup/1otvvvevzzg3g1af9enm6pb6b9
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:35pm On Oct 10, 2017
Enyeama Hint At Eagles Return – Never Wanted To Do This But I Don’t Have A Choice

Former goalkeeper and captain of the Super Eagles Vincent Enyeama has dropped a hint about a possible return to the team he left after a row with former coach Sunday Oliseh.

Present coach of the team Gernot Rohr has already confirmed a return is on the card for the 35 year old once he is back to full fitness, and also sort out his issue at French side Lille.

Enyeama has recovered from the surgery he had in the summer, but he is yet to get his club future sorted out as new coach Marcelo Bielsa of Lille axed him and ten others from the first team.

Shortly after Nigeria’s qualification for the World Cup, the former captain of the Super Eagles dropped a post on social media, which suggest a possible return to the team soon.

The two times nominee for best goalkeeper in France congratulated the Super Eagles after the 1-0 win over Zambia in Uyo which sealed their qualification for the World Cup in Russia.

He later posted another line which suggest a return is near although it could mean something else judging by the call for divine guidance in the post.

” Countdown on. This is massive. Never wanted to do this but I don’t have a choice. Wish me luck”. He posted.

Countdown on.this is massive.never wanted to do this but I don’t have a choice.wish me luck. 2:01 AM - Oct 8, 2017 · Wasquehal, France 16 12 30 vinny @vinpee

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/10/enyeama-hint-at-eagles-return-never-wanted-to-do-this-but-i-dont-have-a-choice/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:32pm On Oct 10, 2017
Tomori Shines, Solanke Sub, Abraham Benched As England Beat Andorra

Chelsea wonderkid Fikayo Tomori played the full ninety minutes as England beat Andorra 1-0 in a 2019 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifier at Estadi Comunal d'Andorra la Vella on Tuesday evening.

Everton's Ademola Lookman also started and put in a full shift for the Young Lions, Tammy Abraham dropped to the bench after starting last Friday's 3-1 win against Scotland, and Dominic Solanke came on as a 79th minute substitute.

Tomori produced a superb display in the center of England's defense and prevented the opponents from scoring.
The only goal of the game came in the 52nd minute from Everton midfielder Tom Davies, who headed home a Kyle Walker-Peters cross.

In a different age group, England U20s cruised to an easy 4-0 win over Czech Republic at St George’s Park, with Johnson, Mavididi (2) and Barnes writing their names on the score-sheet.

Fulham midfielder Adetayo Edun clocked up 30 minutes after coming off the bench in the second half, Chelsea loanee Ike Ugbo was an unused substitute.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Photo Credit : twitter.com/fikayotomori_

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24965
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:36pm On Oct 10, 2017
Belgian-Nigerian Striker Dessers To Audition For Rohr Before Eagles Game Against Algeria

Belgium born Nigerian forward Cyril Dessers is among a set of players under consideration for a call up to the Super Eagles camp in Morocco ahead of their clash against Algeria.

Nigeria will hold a training camp in Morocco before their dead rubber final World Cup 2018 Qualifiers tie against Algeria, and a friendly game has been planned before the game.
Dessers has been placed under close watch by coach Gernot Rohr of the Super Eagles with the performance of the FC Utrecht forward closely been watched by scouts of the Franco-German coach.
The forward who is eligible for Nigeria and Belgium has already declared his intention to represent Nigeria despite having one call up to the Belgium U20 although he didn’t get to play.

22 year old Dessers has four goals in the first seven games of the Dutch top flight league for Utrecht, the team he joined in the summer from NAC Breda where his 22 goals haul helped the team to promotion to the Dutch first division.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/10/belgian-nigerian-striker-dessers-to-audition-for-rohr-before-eagles-game-against-algeria/

1 Like

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:18pm On Oct 10, 2017
Mweene – Unfair To Judge Super Eagles With Their Performance Against Us

Captain of the senior national team of Zambia Kennedy Mweene says the Super Eagles of Nigeria should not be judged based on their display on Saturday in Uyo.

Nigeria didn’t hit same height like they did against Cameroon in
the last round of games and also in their 3-1 win over Algeria in their second game of the World Cup Qualifiers.

Speaking to Owngoalnigeria.com, the experienced shot stopper said the way Zambia played made it difficult to see the real Super Eagles, hence they shouldn’t be judged based on the game.

” Look, I think we cannot judge the Nigerian team as at now. We (Zambia) might be a very difficult team to play with. The way we played against Nigeria, it won’t be the same when they play other teams”, Mweene said.

” So for me it will be unfair to judge them based on our game against them, we still need to watch the Super Eagles in the coming games, you know they will have a lot of friendlies before the World Cup, then we’ll be able to see how good they are.

” There are a lot of youngsters in the team but they are youngsters with experience. I think they’ve a good and formidable team which can represent Africa well in Russia”, he said.

**Maxwell Pius

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/10/mweene-unfair-to-judge-super-eagles-with-their-performance-against-us/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:22pm On Oct 10, 2017
Senate President Saraki Takes Swipe At NFF Over Mismanagement Of FIFA Funds

The president of the Nigerian Senate Bukola Saraki has taken a swipe at the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) over mismanagement of funds released to the Federation by FIFA.

Super Eagles of Nigeria secured their spot at the World Cup with a 1-0 win over Zambia in Uyo on Saturday, and issue of proper funding for the team to avoid a repeat of past issues that has bedevilled the team regarding finances.

Issues of funding have affected Nigeria at major tournament with the players usually resorting to go on strike to force home their demand, but the Senate president has called on the NFF to make good use of funds from FIFA to teams going to the World Cup.

Saraki made this known while responding to the motion raised by Senator Ogba on the floor of the house for looted funds recovered by the Federal Government of Nigeria to be given to the team to prosecute their campaign at the World Cup in Russia next year.

“As we all know when you qualify for world cup, FIFA releases a significant amount of money to NFF and over the years the money has been squandered which is about $10 billion, It is important that NFF judiciously manage the funds.” Saraki said.

**Shedrack Obi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/10/senate-president-saraki-takes-swipe-at-nff-over-mismanagement-of-fifa-funds/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:28pm On Oct 10, 2017
SEYI OLOFINJANA BACKS SUPER EAGLES FOR WORLD CUP By Gbenga Adewoye, Correspondent

The ex- international has charged the Super Eagles to aim for a place in the last eight rather than getting knocked out of the first round

Seyi Olofinjana has backed Nigeria for the World Cup quarter-final stage after they confirmed their place in Russia following their 1-0 triumph over Zambia on Saturday.

Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi came off the bench to score the all-important goal for Gernot Rohr's side to help them to their sixth World Cup appearance.

And the former Hull City playmaker is confident that with the mixture of both young and experienced players in the squad they could aim higher than their previous performance where they exited the tournament in the second round.

“We've been to a few World Cups in recent years, and we need to be looking at progressing further - rather than crashing out in the early stages," Olofinjana told BBC Sport.

"I think the country should be looking at perhaps the quarter-finals. It's doable - it's not impossible.

"We have a coach who knows how to bring everybody together, and the boys we've got are hungrier and have a bit of experience - players like (captain) John Mikel Obi, Victor Moses and Ahmed Musa.

"They can bring the younger ones with them so that we do not just to go the tournament to enjoy it but to push ourselves to the next level," he concluded.

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/seyi-olofinjana-backs-super-eagles-for-world-cup-quarter/116xx3cqshkhk1x3dry04hzl7p
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:12pm On Oct 10, 2017
Super Eagles Star Ahmed Musa Named To Premier League XI For......

Leicester City striker Ahmed Musa has been named to a Premier League XI for the shortest players in the English top-flight by Sky Sports.

Manager Gordon Strachan has blamed Scotland’s World Cup qualifying exit on the nation’s footballers being genetically small, and the British television sports brand compiled a list of shortest and tallest combined Premier League XIs.

At 171cm, Musa led the frontline along with Bournemouth striker Jermain Defoe, who is the same height as the Nigerian.

The Super Eagles star is 8cm taller than the the shortest player in the Premier League, Bournemouth winger Ryan Fraser.

No player of Nigerian descent was included in the Premier League tallest XI, which contained the likes of Arsenal's Per Mertesacker, Manchester United duo Marouane Fellaini and Nemanja Matic and Stoke City's Peter Crouch.
Premier League Shortest Eleven

Goalkeeper : Michel Vorm (183cm)

Defenders : Cesar Azpilicueta (178cm), Nathan Ake (180cm), Kiko Femenia (176cm), Aaron Cresswell (176cm)

Midfielders : N'Golo Kante (168 cm), Leon Britton (168cm), Ryan Fraser (163cm), Aaron Lennon

Attackers : Jermain Defoe (171cm), Ahmed Musa (171cm)

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24966
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:34pm On Oct 10, 2017
Roda JC youngster Leslie Dunkwu rated ‘New Uche Okechukwu’
By ScoreNigeria admin

Leslie Dunkwu is regarded as ‘New Uche Okechukwu’
Seventeen-year-old Leslie Dunkwu, whose father is Nigerian and mother Dutch, is the ‘New Uche Okechukwu’, according to players’ agent Richard Umejei.

The young giant is 1.96 metres tall and already features regularly for the U17s and U19s of Dutch club Roda JC.

He is now already been compared to one of the country’s legendary defenders ‘Gentle Giant’ Uche Okechukwu, who featured at the 1994 and 1998 World Cups and even captained the Super Eagles.

“He is a future central defender cum defensive midfielder for Nigeria,” Amsterdam-based Umejei told SCORENigeria

“He plays like Rio Ferdinand once of England and Manchester United. He is strong with a good pace despite his height and he is calm on the ball.

“It is not an exaggeration that this is one true talent who will fill in the vacuum left by Uche Okechukwu many years ago.

“He is born to win and he hates to lose.”

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/10/roda-jc-youngster-leslie-dunkwu-rated-new-uche-okechukwu/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:41pm On Oct 10, 2017
Ighalo awards scholarships to 5 underprivileged girls
By ScoreNigeria Admin

Nigeria and Changchun Yatai FC of China striker Odion Jude Ighalo has supported five young girls by offering them full scholarships.

He offered the full scholarship under FAME Foundation Africa’s #1girl1pen awareness campaign for the girl-child education in Africa.

The unveiling of the girls and official handing over of the scholarship will take place in Abuja tomorrow at Café De Vie, 12 Amazons Street, Maitama – Abuja, at 11:30am.

Appreciating the gesture towards the girls, award-winning investigative journalist and founder of FAME Foundation Africa, Aderonke Bello, thanked Ighalo for helping the girls.

“Uneducated girls are prone to early child marriage which could lead to VVF and many other negative things; we are thanking Ighalo for extending his support to pay for five talented girls who could not afford to go back to school,” she said.

“The #1girl1pen campaign is set up to raise awareness for the girl-child education and support girls by ensuring they stay in school and guide them throughout school.”

Meanwhile, Super Eagles and Al Ahli defender Godfrey Oboabona gave full scholarship to three school girls under the awareness campaign.

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/10/ighalo-awards-scholarships-to-5-underprivileged-girls/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:08am On Oct 11, 2017
Eguavoen: Rohr Needs Total Support From NFF To Excel At Russia 2018
By Bamidele Boluwaji

Former Nigeria coach, Austin Eguavoen, has called on the Nigeria Football Federation to give Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr total support as he strives hone a stronger squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup finals in Russia, Completesportsnigeria.com reports

The Franco-German tactician last Saturday led the Super Eagles to beat Chipolopolo of Zambia 1-0 to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia even with a game to spare in their Group B.

And Eguavoen believes that the former Burkina Faso handler needs the support of the officials of Nigeria Football Federation to excel at the munidial next year.

“Rohr has done an excellent job by ensuring Nigeria qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, and I say well done to him”, Eguavoen tells Completesportsnigeria.com

“I am sure that it may have not been possible without the FA’s
support, but I must say that he still needs more support to excel at the World Cup proper. Now that they have qualified Nigeria for the World Cup, there will be lots of things that will crop up before the World Cup and he will need the support of the FA to stand. I have faced it before, and I know what it is,” he stresses.

The 1994 FIFA World Cup star however praised the Super Eagles players for their ccommitment in getting the ticket, urging them to remain focused and work harder.

“Honestly, it was a good job and I can only praise the players for that.

“I will also advise them to keep working hard and remain focused.
Nigeria will face Algeria in the last World Cup qualifying game next month

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/eguavoen-rohr-needs-total-support/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:40am On Oct 11, 2017
Russia 2018: Ezenwa reveals his secret

Ikechukwu Ezenwa

By Festus Abu with agency reports

Super Eagles goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa has expressed his delight at Nigeria’ s qualification for the Russia 2018 World Cup .

Ezenwa said he had always wanted to play at the World Cup .
The IfeanyiUbah keeper said he spent many years working hard with the focus on showcasing his talents at the global stage .

“ Beating Zambia 1 - 0 to qualify for the World Cup is really fulfilling . It is a fulfilment of all I have been looking forward to for some time now , ” he was quoted by the News Agency of Nigeria as saying on Tuesday .

“ It shows that it really pays to work hard and I urge the younger ones to toe the line of hard work and dedication .

‘’ Playing in a big tournament like the World Cup remains the ambition of every player , but the only key is hard work . ”
He added that the Eagles were determined to qualify for the World Cup .

Nigeria on Saturday became the first African team and the 12 th in the world to qualify for the global football event .
Meanwhile, Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has said he is happy working with the Eagles .

Rohr, in a statement by spokesman for the Nigeria Football Federation Ademola Olajire , said, “ I am very excited to be working with this team , a blend of the experienced and the young and ambitious ones .

“ They are a delight to be with at all times , and I believe we are on to great things .

“ At the beginning of the qualifying series , many people said we were going to be chased out .

“ We sat down together and we promised ourselves that we would go all out and get the ticket . ”

Source: http://punchng.com/russia-2018-ezenwa-reveals-his-secret/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:43am On Oct 11, 2017
Moses Resumes Training With Chelsea Ahead Of Emotional Return To Eagles

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Victor Moses has resumed training with champions Chelsea ahead of their visit to Selhurst Park, where they face Crystal Palace in the Premier League on Saturday, October 14.

On Tuesday, the Nigeria international trained without any discomfort for the first time since his return to the English capital after international duty with the Russia-bound Super Eagles.

In January 2018, it would have been eight years since Moses departed Chelsea for Wigan Athletic, before joining his present employer.
The former England U17 sensation made 69 first-team appearances for the Eagles and contributed to 17 goals (11 goals, 6 assists) during the nine years he spent at the club.

Last season, the Super Eagles star started as Chelsea beat Crystal Palace 1-0 at Selhurst Park but a calf strain injury prevented him from making the squad at Stamford Bridge.

Moses continued his good form for the national team in their latest World Cup qualifier against Zambia, and was named to the best eleven players of Match day 5 by CAF.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24967
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:06am On Oct 11, 2017
Road To Russia 2018: Profiles Of Gernot Rohr’s 37 Super Eagles Players Who Won Nigeria’s World Cup Ticket

By Kayode Ogundare

Nigeria’s Super Eagles became the first African nation to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia after a hard-fought 1-0 win over Zambia last Saturday in Uyo. The Eagles achieved this feat in five games, garnering an unassailable 13 points to beat Zambia, Cameroon and Algeria to the sole ticket.
completesportsnigeria.com provides an overview of the 37 players who sweated to ensure Nigeria’s flag will be flown for a sixth time at the FIFA World Cup…

Ikechukwu Ezenwa 3 GAMES (270minutes)

Ezenwa was in goal for three of Nigeria’s five matches

The greatest beneficiary of Carl Ikeme’s illness, Ezenwa started the first two games of the qualifiers on the bench and an injury to Dan Akpeyi on the eve of the home game against Cameroon was the big break the home-based shot-stopper needed to announce himself on the big stage. Subsequently he was in goal for the last three games and discharged himself creditably, conceding one goal but shutting Cameroon out in the 4-0 victory in Uyo last September. He was the only NPFL player to taste action in the qualifying series so far.

Shehu Abdullahi 5 games (300 minutes)

Cyprus-based Abdullahi is one of the most consistent players during the qualifiers. He started from the bench in the first game against Zambia in Ndola before coming on for a cameo 5 minutes appearance but gradually warmed his way into Gernot Rohr’s heart to make the right full-back position his own, culminating in a Man of the Match performance against Zambia last Saturday. He’s one of only six players to play a part in each of the five games played so far.

Elderson Echiejile 5 games (440 minutes)

Echiejile was 10 minutes away from becoming only the second player to play every single minute of Nigeria’s five games before he was stretchered off in the 80th minute to be replaced by Ola Aina. Nevertheless, he did enough to prove himself indispensable to Gernot Rorh’s plans during the qualifying series.

Troost Ekong 5 games (450 minutes)

Ekong (r) with the other half of Nigeria’s ‘Oyinbo Wall’, was the only player to feature in every single minute of the five games played so far

One half of the famed Super Eagles ‘Oyinbo Wall’ – Leon Balogun being the other half – Troost-Ekong holds the distinction of being the only player to have played every single minute of Nigeria’s five games so far in the qualifiers. His understanding with Balogun has drawn comparisons with stellar defence combos like Stephen Keshi/Uche Okechukwu and that of the Atlanta Olympic Gold medal winning pair of Okechukwu and Taribo West.

Leon Balogun 4 games (360 minutes)

A rock in the heart of the defence, Balogun missed only the first game away in Zambia to injury but has been an ever-present figure in the heart of defence, building a telepathic understanding with Troost-Ekong. The German-based defender was particularly outstanding in the 4-0 crushing of Cameroon in Uyo and in other games too. Pundits are already tipping him as a future national team captain for his work-rate and temperament.

Wilfred Ndidi 5 games (368 minutes)

Ndidi has seen his influence grow geometrically in the Super Eagles midfield during the march to Russia 2018

The rise of Ndidi’s career has coincided with the good run of the Super Eagles during the qualifiers and the Leicester City star has been nothing but impressive in all the games in which he featured.
He started four of the five games and came on as a late substitute for captain Mikel Obi in the 3-1 win over Algeria in Uyo. Huge talent and one of the first names on the roster for a spot in midfield, regardless of the tactical formation to be employed.

Ogenyi Onazi 5 games (386 minutes)

Team vice-captain, Onazi’s importance to the Super Eagles continued to grow by the day and his tireless running and ability to break-up opposition play has been one of the strengths of the team. Injury cut short his participation in the last two games but he’s sure to be around for the long haul.

John Obi Mikel 5 games (395 minutes)

Mikel’s influence on and off the pitch has been massive

Captain fantastic, Mikel is finally living up to the huge talent he promised as a youngster. He’s practically dragged the Super Eagles to the World Cup with admirable selflessness. Like a true general, Mikel led his troop to the Promised Land, winning a World Cup ticket for Nigeria while leading from the front.

He showed, right from the first day, that he was a capable leader and his influence on and off the pitch has been described as motivational for the younger players in the team. Mikel played a part in all five games and was a positive influence even when substituted.

Moses Simon 4 games (327 minutes)

Full of guile and trickery, Simon provided options for the Super Eagles attack with his ability to play on either flank effortlessly and his dribbling skills. Apart from the game against Algeria whjen he was an unused substitute, he started the other four games and got the goal in the 1-1 draw in Cameroon.

Moses is also capable of playing as a top man and able to vary his game as occasion demanded. He’s one of Rohr’s most trusted men upfront.

Victor Moses 4 games (360 minutes)

Victor Moses dazzles in Super Eagles Vs Cameroon game in Uyo

The Super Eagles’ topscorer with three goals from four games. One of the hardest working players on the pitch, Victor Moses was a thorn in the flesh of Nigeria’s opponents in the four games he played and created most of the chances from which the Super Eagles scored goals. He bears the brunt of many vicious kicks in the game but a World Cup ticket in the kitty will be enough compensation for the Chelsea man. Still one of Nigeria’s best players by a mile.

Odion Ighalo 3 games (230 minutes)

After missing the first and sitting out the second, Ighalo started the last three of the Super Eagles qualifying games, playing a cumulative 230 minutes.

The China-based striker sparked celebrations with the first goal in the 4-0 annihilation of Cameroon in Uyo and was generally a thorn in the flesh of the Indomitable Lions over two games. He has just one goal in three games but that does not take away his contribution to the team’s march to Russia. His hold-up play and footwork is still one of the best in the business.

Mikel Agu 3 games (107 minutes)

The Super Eagles second Mikel, Agu came on for his namesake and captain Mikel Obi in his first two games but was called upon to replace the injured Onazi against Zambia in Uyo. He picked his first national team career yellow card for dangerous play but the moment he got into his strides, he settled down and combined well with Ndidi to provide cover for the back-four. His energy in the middle of the park will be vital going forward.

Alex Iwobi 3 games (188 minutes)

Scored Nigeria’s first and last goals – incidentally both against Zambia – on the way to Russia

The inspired substitution that turned the game on it’s head. He came on in the 66th minute for Simon and eight mniutes later he scored the goal that will take Nigeria to the 2018 World Cup in Russia, same way he scored Nigeria’s first goal in Ndola against Zambia on Matchday One of the qualifying series. Apart from the goal, Iwobi also caused a lot of anxious moments with his uick-thinking and tireless running. A MotM performance packed in that 24 minutes showing. 8/10

Carl Ikeme 1 Game (90 Minutes)

But for his battle against Leukemia, Ikeme would have been in goal for all of Nigeria’s matches on the road to Russia but he saw action in only the game against Zambia in Ndola, the first victory that set the Super Eagles on the way to nicking the World Cup ticket.
Hopefully, the nation hopes Ikeme gets well enough in good time to be ready for Russia 2018.

Ola Aina 1 Game (10 Minutes)

Aina is an invaluable addition to the team who provides an interesting option at right or left full back.

The Chelsea loanee undoubtedly would have envisaged a better debut but Ola Aina got thrown into the deep end for his first international with Nigeria having to defend a one-goal lead against the relentless Zambian who kept knocking and asking questions. Aina did well in the 10-minutes he was on the pitch and could have easily gotten an assist in the last minute for his effort to Victor Moses which nearly resulted in a second goal. In that 10 minutes, Aina showed flashes of brilliance of what to expect in Russia.

Kenneth Omeruo 2 Games (165 Minutes)

Club troubles obviously affected Omeruo’s participation during the World Cup qualifiers as he couldn’t build on his involvement in the first two games. He was on for 90 minutes against Zambia in Ndola and played 65 minutes in the 3-1 victory over Algeria before going off for Abdullahi Shehu. Since then, he’s not got another look-in but, with the World Cup ticket in the bag, Omeruo will be challenging for a spot in the final team to Russia.

Brown Ideye 1 game (73 Minutes)

Brown Ideye was in the starting lineup for the Matchday One game in Zambia and did excellently well, holding up the ball nicely to provide an assist as Kelechi Iheanacho raced towards the Zambia box for Nigeria’s second goal in the 2-1 victory.

Since then he’s been overlooked for a call-up and an indifferent form in China has not helped his cause but Ideye will be buoyed to hope for a recall seeing as fellow China-based striker Odion Ighalo has bounced back into reckoning.

Kelechi Iheanacho 4 games (220 Minutes)

Iheanacho’s two goals in four games, he came in as a substitute in the last two games he played, underlined his importance to the Super Eagles march to the World Cup and, despite the seeming preference for Ighalo as the main striker, Rohr will still retain confidence in the ability of the Leicester City star when the preparations for the World Cup proper begins in earnest.

Ahmed Musa 3 games (32 Minutes)

Musa appears to have fallen out of favour with club and country with a meager 32 minutes being his contribution to the World Cup cause. Nevertheless, he’s still one of the oldest players in the team and his experience will become invaluable, especially if he’s able to sort out his club fortunes in good time.

Dan Akpeyi 1 game (90 Minutes)

One would have expected Akpeyi to be the natural successor to the recuperating Ikeme but, after being in goal for the game against Algeria, the South African-based shot-stopper fell to an injury which gave Ikechukwu Ezenwa the opportunity to take his position and the home-based goalkeeper has held on tightly to the number one gloves since then. There are other goalkeepers hovering around the team but a fully-fit Akpeyi will expect first consideration when the opportunity comes.

Oghenekaro Etebo 1 game (90 Minutes)

Many pundits are surprised Portugal-based Oghenekaro Etebo has not played a much more significant role in the Super Eagles match to Russia but coach Gernot Rohr obviously prefers the current midfield trio of Mikel, Onazi and Ndidi – Etebo’s only game, apart from the four minutes cameo in Cameroon, was against Algeria when Ndidi did not start – which has been excellent so far.

However, it is heartening to know that the Rio Olympic bronze medalist presents a different option in a wide variety of positions and that’s why he’s always been in the team albeit as an unused substitute.

Anderson Esiti 1 game (17 minutes)

Belgium-based Anderson Esiti has not had another invitation since his 17 minutes action on Matchday one in Ndola yet that cameo appearance cannot be ignored because he came on at a time the Super Eagles were on the backfoot with incessant attacks from the Zambians who probed relentlessly in search of an equalizer.

Rohr brought Esiti in to replace Ideye and help shore up the midfield but since then neither of the two players have been recalled to the team which eventually booked a sixth World Cup appearance.

UNUSED SUBSTITUTES

Emmanuel DANIEL; Musa MOHAMMED; Uche AGBO; Godwin OBAJE; Chisom ECHUGBULAM; Kingsley MADU; Nosa IGIEBOR; Jamiu ALIMI; Dele ALAMPASU; John OGU; Dele AJIBOYE; Anthony NWAKAEME; Tyrone EBUEHI; Aaron SAMUEL; Chidozie AWAZIEM

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/road-russia-2018-rohrs-37-eagles-won-nigerias-world-cup-ticket/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:01am On Oct 11, 2017
Opponents Watch

Algeria Working On Immediate Dismissal Of Coach Ahead Of Nigeria Clash

The Algerian Football Federation are working on the immediate dismissal of coach of the Desert Foxes, Lucas Alcaraz, before their final World Cup qualifier against Nigeria in November.

According to Le Buteur, FAF are unhappy with the mediocre results since he was appointed coach in April, with the national team losing three World Cup qualifiers against Zambia and Cameroon, and failing to qualify for next year's African Nations Championship.

The Board members of the Algerian Federation will hold a meeting on Wednesday and it is envisaged that they will announce the Spaniard's sacking after the deliberations, but the stumbling block is the financial compensation.

Lucas Alcaraz has argued that it was not stated that he has to qualify for the World Cup and CHAN when he negotiated his contract, and must be paid the totality of his wages until the end of his contract in 2019 if he is fired.

Algeria's next competitive fixture is against Nigeria at Stade Mohamed-Hamlaoui (Constantine) on November 10, and it is mathematically impossible for the North Africans to qualify for the tournament in Russia.

The Super Eagles beat their next opponents 3-1 last year in Uyo, with Victor Moses (2) and Obi Mikel finding the net.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24969
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:32pm On Oct 11, 2017
DON’T REST ON YOUR LAURELS SUPER EAGLES, THE REAL WORK STARTS NOW!
By Seye Omidiora, Correspondent

Gernot Rohr has done brilliantly in getting the West African giants to the ultimate showpiece, but a lot needs to done to get them ready

With 15 minutes left on the clock, and just as thoughts of having to wait another month to secure World Cup qualification began to filter through the minds of Nigerians , Alex Iwobi popped up to finish after nice work from Victor Moses and Shehu Abdullahi to send the national side to Russia.

That goal sealed a near perfect run that had seen Nigeria overcome their opponents in the 'Group of Death' and reach a sixth World Cup.

The mission was completed, but things won't get any easier for Gernot Rohr, who now faces the task of preparing the Super Eagles for the tournament.

The German coach deserves immense credit for turning things around.

He came in when the nation was at an all-time low, still reeling from the disastrous reign of Sunday Oliseh. As if missing out on a second successive Africa Cup of Nations wasn’t bad enough, what followed afterwards took embarrassing up a notch.

The debacle of Paul Le Guen’s appointment would have made staunch followers of the Super Eagles sick to their stomachs at the naivety displayed, yet, Rohr’s appointment didn’t exactly fill those faithful fans with any sort of excitement.

The former Burkina Faso gaffer remained undaunted and what’s followed has been truly remarkable.

The desire to play football on the front foot has been one of the hallmarks of the wily old manager’s reign, while the squad's togetherness has also been evident.

Securing the ticket to Russia with a game to spare shows how far he’s brought the squad in a year.

There’s been a desire to build around a young core of players who could grow together and achieve a great deal.

However, such a strategy will be accompanied by growing pains – as the loss to South Africa in June clearly showed – but the foundations look solid enough, which is important in more ways than one.

However, getting carried away in the euphoria of having achieved something huge is a mistake the former Bordeaux manager cannot afford to make.

It’s not been completely plain-sailing in qualifying, with large sections of the fanbase calling for more flexibility with the playing personnel and tactics.

There remains a certain level of uncertainty in a number of positions – most especially in goal and at full-back.
Ikechukwu Ezenwa seems an adequate replacement for Carl Ikeme, but an injury to him leaves the squad short of options in goal with potential replacements clearly not good enough.

At full-back, Kenneth Omeruo and Elderson Echiejile’s struggles early on in qualifying threatened to undermine the Super Eagles’ campaign.

Shehu Abdullahi has proved a decent replacement in the last three games and looks to have made the position his.
Echiejile has managed to keep his place, but hasn't truly convinced, and the fact that there isn’t a natural replacement, nor a competitor in the squad has to worry fans.

The Sivasspor player is the apparent weak link in the backline, and is often targeted by opponents who seek to make the most of his defensive deficiencies.

Ola Aina replaced the former Monaco player against the Zambians, but the Chelsea loanee is a right-back by trade and having someone who’s naturally suited to the position would offer more balance to the side.

It’s a bit more baffling in midfield and up front.

The Nigeria squad has the midfielders with the skillset to adopt different strategies, yet Rohr’s insistence on utilizing only a select few while alienating a couple of players makes the job a tad more difficult.

Take the Zambia game for example; as the Chipolopolo attacked the Super Eagles on their own patch, the game called for a bit of control to the ensuing chaos.
However, the German elected to bring on Mikel Agu (for the injured Ogenyi Onazi) when everything was pointing to a midfield instigator in the ilk of John Ogu.

Something similar played out against Cameroon in Yaounde, when the manager brought on Agu for the tiring Mikel John Obi.

You’ve got to wonder why Rohr hasn’t used the full complement of his midfielders (think Ogu and Oghenekaro Etebo) and adapt to games as the situation calls for it. Such tactical misdemeanors will need addressing before next year’s tournament in Russia.

In attack, Odion Ighalo has started the last three games to mixed performances. Brilliant in the game against Cameroon as the Super Eagles romped past the African champions, his performances in the last two games have paled in comparison.

Critics felt he wasn’t the right fit for the Zambia game, but he started regardless – which showed (yet again) Rohr’s unwillingness to adapt to the opponents, but rather stick to a winning team (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing). On another day, it could have backfired spectacularly.

Kelechi Iheanacho and Anthony Nwakaeme need to be given a fair crack at being first choice to lead the line as they both have contrasting styles to the Changchun Yatai forward and could be utilized as the situation requires.

Perhaps a little experimenting will be done in the next few games as Rohr gets his charges ready for next year’s showpiece.

Nevertheless, it should be noted the Afcon qualifier in Seychelles is one game the West African giants can’t go into thinking it’ll be a walk in the park. It’s a must-win if they’re not to play catch-up early on and they’ve got to be motivated for the encounter.

Nigeria are flying at the moment, but this isn’t the time to get carried away, as the extravaganza in Russia is closer than ever.
The real work starts now!

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/dont-rest-on-your-laurels-super-eagles-the-real-work-starts/yo4xt1jnf5f11ez0vumdy41qb
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:37pm On Oct 11, 2017
Victor Moses Is My World Cup Joker – Eagles Coach Gernot Rohr Reveals

Nigeria won’t have much problems at Russia 2018 World Cup according to coach Gernot Rohr if their star forward Victor Moses stay injury free from now till the period leading to the tournament.

. Rohr said the abilities of Victor Moses in playing different roles will come handy to the team in Russia, if he stays fit, and according to Rohr he was the most impressive player during the World Cup Qualifiers.

” The most impressive player in my team is Victor Moses. He is fast, quick in football and I hope he will not get injured before the World Cup in Russia. I have absolute confidence in him”, Rohr said in chat with newsmen.

” For the World Cup, we must build a better team more than better than the qualifying team if we are to do well at the global stage. I also need the experience players “, he concluded.

Moses who plays as a wing back for Chelsea, but plays in attack for Nigeria was the top scorer for the Super Eagles who are through to the World Cup with a game to spare after their 1-0 win over Zambia last weekend.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/11/victor-moses-is-my-world-cup-joker-eagles-coach-gernot-rohr-reveals/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:40pm On Oct 11, 2017
Eagles Newbie Ola Aina Boast – Super Eagles Can Beat England At Russia 2018 World Cup

Freshly capped Nigeria senior international defender Ola Aina says Super Eagles are capable of beating the Three Lions of England if both teams meet at the World Cup next-door year in Russia.

Aina who represented England at various youth levels before switching allegiance to Nigeria made his debut for Nigeria in the 1-0 win over Zambia last weekend, which sealed their passage to next year World Cup.

Presently out on loan to Hull City from English Premier League champions Chelsea, the recently turned 21 year old said Nigeria have players good enough to beat any team in the world.

” The Super Eagles have the materials to beat any team, I know that if we work hard, we can beat any team at the World Cup, not just England. A team that prepare well can beat any team if they work hard. It’s not just Nigeria beating England “, he said in an interview with Abuja based Nigerian journalist Francis Achi.

” There is no hard feeling playing against England, it’s just a game. They are my friends and I play against my friends every week in England “, he concluded.

He rounded up by praising the atmosphere in the camp of the Super Eagles and also appreciated the fans for their support during the course of the 1-0 win over Zambia.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/11/eagles-newbie-ola-aina-boast-super-eagles-can-beat-england-at-russia-2018-world-cup/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:43pm On Oct 11, 2017
Rohr Warns NFF Against Bonus Row At Russia World Cup 2018 – It’ll Be Good If We…

A call for Nigeria to avoid any distraction which could potentially rise from a row over bonuses at the World Cup next year in Russia has been made by coach of the team Gernot Rohr.

The Franco-German coach of the senior national team of Nigeria urged the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) to do their best possible to ensure against controversies over bonuses at next year World Cup.

Rohr said although it’s peculiar for African team to have such issues, it would be nice if the NFF nip it in the bud, as it will help the team in their quest to do well during the World Cup.

” The first goal now is to have a united voice not only around the team but also around us. When I say a united team, I mean everybody around the federation (NFF) should be moving in the same direction “, Rohr said.

” If you want to do something and get good results, you must prepare well for that. We want the same solidarity as we have in the team because the team and the staff are in solidarity and we wish to have the same around because this is the first major outing we are going to make.

“It will be good if we don’t have money problems about the bonuses and the usual African problems as we have severally seen in each World Cup. I think we don’t really need those distractions, we should rather have a conducive environment to prepare for the matches.

” On our part as the technical crew, we have resolved to give our best. But we want to meet with the president before starting the championship in Russia next year “, he concluded.

**Shedrack Obi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/11/rohr-warns-nff-against-bonus-row-at-russia-world-cup-2018-itll-be-good-if-we/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2017
Israeli club Bnei Sakhnin to make Akpan Udoh world No 1, hire personal trainer for U17 world champion
By ScoreNigeria Admin

Akpan Udoh when he won the 2015 U17 World Cup with Nigeria
SCORENigeria can exclusively reveal Israeli club Bnei Saknin plan to make Golden Eaglets U17 world champion Akpan Udoh the best young goalkeeper in the world and afterwards sell him to a top club in England or Spain.

And as result this, they will specially hired a personal goalkeeper trainer for the youngster from the Remo Academy owned by Mr Femi.

Udoh, who has also represented Nigeria at U20 level, has already arrived Israel and he is now expected to agree a loan deal after which he will sign a three-year contract with the Israeli club.

Udoh’s agent, David Ouziel, told SCORENigeria:”Bnei Sakhnin want him to be the best goalkeeper in the world in his age-grade and thereafter sell him to a big club in England or Spain.

“The club have already done a most amazing thing – they have got a personal goalkeeper trainer to work only with him for the next full season.

“No club in Israel has done this before.”

The young goalkeeper was scouted by Manna Abba Nasir ‘Sergio’ from the Remo Academy owned by Mr Femi, who has been working with the player since he was only 8.

However, he could only take up a pro deal in Israel after he clocked 18 years on July 18.

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/11/israeli-club-bnei-sakhnin-to-make-akpan-udoh-world-no-1-hire-personal-trainer-for-u17-world-championscorenigeria-can-exclusively-reveal-israeli-club-bnei-saknin-plan-to-make-golden-eaglets-u17-world/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:49pm On Oct 11, 2017
Eagles striker Kingsley Eduwo rejects $1 million Iraqi offer
By ScoreNigeria admin

CHAN Eagles star Kingsley Eduwo has turned down a staggering one million dollars deal tabled by an Iraqi club, ScoreNigeria.com.ng can exclusively report.

Eduwo’s representative Lanre Famakinwa told ScoreNigeria.com.ng the 21-year-old striker, who netted 16 goals in all competitions for Lobi Stars this past season, does not wish to rush out of the country for only money, but for football reason as well.

“Kingsley (Eduwo) got a one-million-dollar deal a year from an Iraqi team, but we agreed not to accept the offer because Kingsley is not in a rush,” Famakinwa told SCORENigeria.

“He does not want to rush and get a deal just for the money only, he has a future in main stream European leagues.”
Eduwo’s goal against Benin in Kano last month qualified Nigeria to next year’s CHAN.

The all-action striker also featured at the recent WAFU Cup in Ghana.

**By Olusola Alao

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/11/eagles-striker-kingsley-eduwo-rejects-1-million-iraqi-offer/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:53pm On Oct 11, 2017
Eagles will get the cash to fly high at 2018 World Cup – Senate sports cttee boss Ogba
By ScoreNigeria admin

Super Eagles will get the cash to fly very high at next year’s World Cup in Russia because it should not be another jamboree by the country, according to chairman of the Senate Committee on Sports, Obinna Ogba.

“First, let me congratulate the Super Eagles players, the coaches, staff and management of the Nigeria Football Federation for a job well done,” said Senator Ogba, who was previously on the NFF executive committee.

“Let me also say kudos to all Nigerians, President Muhammadu Buhari, Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki and the Speaker House of Representatives for their prayers, moral and material support which has helped to ensure the Super Eagles qualified for their 6th World Cup finals.

“I must say this ticket did not come easy. They fought for it. With this at the back of our minds, I want to say we are not going to Russia for a jamboree.

“And to ensure we don’t go to Russia for a jamboree or to make up the numbers, the team must prepare well to write Nigeria’s name in gold at the World Cup which is remarkably our sixth appearance.

“On our own part as legislators, we will do our best to make sure that we appropriated enough funds for the Super Eagles to prosecute the World Cup.”

He continued: “Thank God the ticket has come early enough.

“Yes, the budget has not come, so it is enough time for the NFF and the Ministry of Sports on their own part should prepare their budget well enough before forwarding same to the National Assembly.

“But I assure you the National Assembly will appropriate well enough funds for to prosecute the World Cup such that funds will not be an issue and the players won’t lack anything”.

Ogba further stressed wherever the Super Eagles will train ahead of the World Cup will be a strict decision of the NFF, adding that the important thing is for the football bosses to do their homework very well in terms of budgeting.

“Whatever budgetary proposal they present to the National Assembly will be properly scrutinised. If it is not enough, we will find how we can augment it”, he emphasised.

**By Sab Osuji

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/11/eagles-will-get-the-cash-to-fly-high-at-2018-world-cup-senate-sports-cttee-boss-ogba/&hl=en-NG

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (32) (Reply)

Mikel Obi Celebrates His Twin Daughters 2nd Birthday / Top 50 Richest Football Player In The World In 2013 / Ahmed Musa Shares His Rare Throwback Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.