Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,159 members, 7,880,632 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:05 PM

The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ - Sports (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ (40760 Views)

Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? / The Rise And Rise Of Samuel Chukwueze / Russia 2018 – Hazard Takes Swipe At England’s Golden Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:55pm On Oct 11, 2017
Rohr Set To Hand Full Debut To Chelsea Loanee Ola Aina Vs Algeria

Nigeria manager Gernot Rohr has hinted that he will hand a full debut to Chelsea defender Ola Aina in November's World Cup qualifier against Algeria, with uncertainty surrounding the fitness of Sivasspor's Elderson Echiejile.

The Monaco loanee suffered an ankle injury during the Super Eagles workout last Tuesday, and aggravated the same injury in the closing minutes of Nigeria's 1-0 win over Zambia on October 7.

Speaking to reporters at the NFF secretariat in Abuja, Rohr stated that Echiejile faces four weeks on the sidelines, and might not be considered for the game with the North Africans.

''Already we know that Elderson Echiejile is ruled out of the game because he is out for about four weeks due to the injury he sustained, '' Rohr said, according to scorenigeria.com.ng.

Ola Aina made his competitive debut for the Nigerian national team off the bench when he replaced Echiejile in the 79th minute against Zambia.

The 21-year-old's preferred position is right back as he is right-footed.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24974
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:58pm On Oct 11, 2017
U17 World Cup: Eyoma Booked Again As England Beat Mexico In Five-Goal Thriller

In the game of the tournament so far at the 2017 Fifa U17 World Cup, England U17s beat Mexico 3-2 at the Salt Lake Stadium, Kolkata on Wednesday afternoon.

Tottenham Hotspur right back of Nigerian parentage Timothy Eyoma started his second straight game for the Young Lions and went the distance.

The game remained goalless after 38 minutes but it was worth the wait, with Rhian Brewster firing a free-kick beyond goalkeeper López to give England the lead a minute later.

Timothy Eyoma picked up his second caution of the competition in first-half injury time, which automatically rules him out of England's final Group F match against Iraq on October 14.

Two minutes into the second half, Foden dispatched the ball into the back of the Mexican net to double the advantage and it became 3-0 when Jadon Sancho scored from the penalty spot on 55 minutes.

Mexico did not give up and Diego Lainez scored two goals within seven minutes of each other, one of them off a deflection from an England defender, to set up a nervy ending.

Steve Cooper's side weathered the storm and are through to the knockout rounds with a game to spare.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : fifa.com

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24973
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:01pm On Oct 11, 2017
Leicester Ndidi Aggravated Hamstring Injury During Eagles Post Match Celebration

Leicester City Nigerian midfielder Wilfred Ndidi is a major injury doubt for the Premier League outfit ahead of their game against West Bromwich Albion this weekend.

Ndidi was injured towards the end of Nigeria’s 1-0 win over Zambia in the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers, the win that secured them a spot at next year World Cup in Russia.

The 20 year old was taken out of the pitch on a stretcher minutes before the final whistle was blown for medical attention after he fell down clutching the back of his thigh.

He made the situation when he ran back onto the pitch at the blast of the final whistle to join the rest of his teammates in the post match celebration, ignoring the team doctors who were attending to him.

A test to determine the severity of the injury will however be conducted on him later today, and an update on his fitness will be provided by coach Craig Shakespeare during his pre match conference most likely tomorrow.

**Maxwell Pius

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/11/leicester-ndidi-aggravated-hamstring-injury-during-eagles-post-match-celebration/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2017
AFCON 2019 Qualifiers Claims Super Eagles Proposed Friendly Games In Asia

The Super Eagles of Nigeria planned Friendly games in Asia against probably South Korea and China has been called off according to a representative of the match agent of the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) .

A representative of Eurodata, the match agents in charge of the Super Eagles friendly games said plans were already at an advance stage to play two games in Asia with China and South Korea the most likely option.

However the plans have now been cancelled as the FIFA free day for the month of March will be when the Super Eagles will take on Seychelles in the race to be at AFCON 2019.

” The games in Asia are as good as off unless CAF postpones the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers, because FIFA rules says you can play games during the international break as long as the distance is not more than 5 hours”, the representative told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” Nigeria are away to Seychelles in the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers , hence the planned friendly games in March won’t hold anymore. Already talks have taken place with China and South Korea but the games are now off”.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/11/afcon-2019-qualifiers-claims-super-eagles-proposed-friendly-games-in-asia/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:07pm On Oct 11, 2017
England U21 Ace Tammy Abraham Once Again Suggest Interest In Nigeria Switch

England U21 forward Tammy Abraham has dropped another hint as regards his interest in switching allegiance to Nigeria who are through to the World Cup.

Two weeks ago the 19 year old denied any talks about a switch of allegiance, but two days ago he confirm talks are ongoing with Nigeria shortly after scoring for England U21 in their 3-1 win over Scotland.

Abraham who has been ever present for the U21s of England who are top of their Euro 2019 qualifying group liked and commented on a video posted by Alex Iwobi on Instagram .

Iwobi posted a video of the winner he scored against Zambia, which qualified Nigeria for the World Cup in Russia and Abraham was among those who liked the post.

He followed it up with a post which reads ” The Greatest “, before recently capped Nigeria senior international Ola Aina who also played for England at various youth levels commented by posting “My guy #BIG17 for president!!!”.

Already Iwobi has confirmed he will have a chat with the forward to try and convince him to switch allegiance to Nigeria just like himself and Aina.. He however said the final decision is for Abraham to decide.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/11/england-u21-ace-tammy-abraham-once-again-suggest-interest-in-nigeria-switch/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:12pm On Oct 11, 2017
Opponents Watch

Algeria Sack Coach Alcaraz Ahead Of Nigeria Clash

Algeria have parted ways with their Spanish coach Lucas Alcaraz ahead of their final World Cup qualifying Group B game against Nigeria in Constantine in November, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Alcaraz, who took charge of the team in April following the resignation of Georges Leekens in February, was the fourth permanent coach to take charge in 13 months.

According to reports on superdeporte.es, the Spanish coach who signed a contract until 2019 has returned to Spain after bidding goodbye to his players.

Alcaraz recorded only one win in four games during his reign.

Algeria have been eliminated from qualifying for the World Cup and they are currently bottom of Group B on just one point after five games.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/algeria-sack-coach-alcaraz/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2017
Rohr Prays For Russia 2018 ‘Soft Group’ For Eagles, Reveals Build-up Plans
By Richard Jideaka in Abuja

Nigeria coach, Gernot Rohr, has hinted to Completesportsnigeria.com that he would like his Super Eagles to avoid ‘group of death’ when the draw for the 2018 FIFA World Cup holds at the State Kremlin Palace in Moscow on December 1 2017.

Rohr has been nursing a lofty World Cup target since the the Super Eagles booked their slot at Russia 2018 after beating the Chipolopolo of Zambia 1-0 in the matchday-5 of the African qualifiers Group B in Uyo. But the German prefers to start his World Cup glory chase from what he calls a ‘soft group’.

”My target is first to get drawn in a soft and not too difficult group, ” Rohr tells Completesportsnigeria.com when asked about his set target with the Super Eagles at the World Cup proper.

“The second target is to come out of the group. If we reach the last 16 which had been previously achieved, it will be wonderful.

“Let us see the draw first on December 1st, then we do an analysis and take it from there. We shall try to unify things by getting dedicated and committed players, not those who come to make money or other related things. My backroom staff are good, but I need another physiologist. We’ll camp for a period, then go for it.”

Rohr wants to put the Super Eagles through proper drilling ahead of their sixth World Cup appearance at Russia 2018. He believes the Amaju Pinnick-led NFF board understands the importance of providing the wherewithal to ensure adequate preparation for a World Cup bound team.

“If you have to do something well, you have to prepare well,” Rohr reiterates.

“If we get the best preparation without the African problems of no money, bonus and allowance, late planning and other related issues, we’ ll go to the world cup with big dreams.

“We don’t need distraction to succeed. I trust my president (Amaju Pinnick) to ensure that everything is in place before the World Cup”

Rohr wants to open his first World Cup build-up camp in Abuja as a way of appreciating the support of the football-loving Nigerians. He wants the fans to avail themselves with the opportunity of seeing their beloved team in training sessions and international friendly match before flying out to camp overseas with a final 23-man Super Eagles squad.

Rohr explains: “I think it’s sure we will start the first camp in Abuja. The first camping will be in the country’s capital. We must spend the first money in Nigeria to thank every body for support and their role in helping our qualification.

“I have told the NFF President about this, and to get us a friendly match to be played in Abuja, to show the fans the 23 players selected for the World Cup and to say good bye before leaving for Russia.”

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/rohr-prays-‎for-russia-2018-soft-group-eagles-reveals-build-plans/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:22pm On Oct 11, 2017
Turkish Super Lig: Onazi Eager To Play Well For Trabzonspor Vs Akhisar
By Johnny Edward

Ogenyi Onazi has vowed to be at his very best for Trabzonspor when they take on Akhisar Belediye Genclik Ve Spor in Sunday’s Turkish Super Lig clash, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Onazi who copped a muscle strain while on international duty with the Super Eagles in last Saturday’s 1-0 win over Zambia in a FIFA World Cup qualifier says he is ready to fight for the team.

Trabzonspor failed to win a match in their last three League games. Their last win was against Gençlerbirliği last month, a game that saw Onazi end his 41 game goal drought.

The 24 year old midfielder has made four appearannces this season, scoring just one goal.

“I will fight to make the best of which is assigned to me by my club and I have done the same in Besiktas derby,” Onazi told fotomac.com.tr.

Trabzonspor are ninth in the Turkish Super Lig log with nine points from seven games.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/onazi-eager-play-well-trabzonspor-vs-akhisar/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:08pm On Oct 11, 2017
Iheanacho still the shining light of 2013 class
By Dami Ugbane, KweséESPN

Four years ago, Kelechi Iheanacho was the star of the show as Nigeria thrashed Mexico in the final of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup.

The Golden Eaglets failed to qualify for this year's event, which is ongoing in India, but few will forget that rampaging side who scored 26 goals in seven games, more than double that of the Mexicans.

Alongside Iheanacho were two highly-rated forwards in Isaac Success and Taiwo Awoniyi, with captain Musa Muhammed excellently marshalling his troops from the back.

But whereas Iheanacho won a League cup title with Manchester City and subsequently joined champions Leicester City in a £25million deal, it has not gone all to plan for the others.

Isaac Success

Success was undoubtedly the biggest star in the Class of 2013. He was the team's top scorer in the qualifiers and the first squad member to sign a professional deal abroad, with Udinese, which became activated when he turned 18 in January 2014.
He netted in the Eaglets' opening two matches against Mexico and Sweden, but then sustained a tournament-ending hamstring injury while executing the volley which reduced the deficit against the Scandinavians. Two successful seasons with Granada in La Liga convinced Premier League side Watford to part with a club record £12.5million in 2016. He experienced a mixed debut campaign, netting a solitary league goal against Bournemouth, but also making his international debut against Senegal in March 2017. However, things have gone sour since then -- he has failed to get a single minute of game-time in the league and has been beset by off-field problems.

Taiwo Awoniyi

The apparent heir to the legendary Rashidi Yekini, Awoniyi stepped up in the absence of Success and netted four goals during the 2013 World Cup triumph, including in the semifinals demolition of Sweden. He was subsequently promoted to the Nigeria U20 team where he continued to flourish, thereby getting the attention of Olympic Eagles coach Samson Siasia, who included the then 17-year-old striker in his squad for the All Africa Games and Olympics qualifiers.

A 2015 summer move to Liverpool ought to have been the beginning of great things in his career, but that has not been the case. He was loaned out to FSV Frankfurt in the German Bundesliga 2, but failed to make any real progress, netting once in 13 league outings and then missing the Dream Team VI cut for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Another loan move to NEC in the Dutch Eredivisie did little to convince the football community about his potential, which led to the Reds farming him out on loan for a third successive season to present employers, Royal Excel Mouscron in Belgium.

He has settled down to life in the top-flight, netting three goals in seven league appearances, starting all the games, and finally looking to make good of his immense talent.

Musa Muhammed

'Captain Fantastic' was tipped to become a future Super Eagles captain, but that progression seems some way off at the moment. He did lead the Under-20s to a seventh CAF title in Senegal, but a subdued outing at right-back at the 2015 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand cooled talk of a transfer to one of Europe's major clubs.

Instead, he moved to modest Turkish club Istanbul Basaksehir. Despite earning his first international cap against Mali in a friendly in May 2016, his failure to get regular game-time at club level appears to have hurt his Super Eagles chances.
A desperate loan move to Bosnian club Zeljeznicar Sarajevo in February 2017 failed to get the attention of the national team selectors, and another season-long loan this year to Lokomotiv Plovdiv hasn't seen him fare any better, putting his World Cup dreams in danger.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/20988176/iheanacho-shining-light-2013-class?device=featurephone
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:25pm On Oct 11, 2017
Ndidi Clears The Air On 'Hamstring Injury' : I'll Be Back In Training Thursday

Wilfred Ndidi has dismissed suggestions that he faces one month on the sidelines and doubtful to be in Leicester City's squad to face West Brom at the King Power Stadium next Monday, October 14.

The central midfielder was stretchered out in the closing minutes of Nigeria's 1-0 win over Zambia, having felt some discomfort after taking a shot.

Leicester City medics have assessed the Super Eagles star following his return from international duty and given him the green light to join up with his teammates on Thursday after skipping today's training session.

''Ndidi is fine, he will train with his Leicester City teammates on Thursday,'' a top source told allnigeriasoccer.com .

''He is just tired and some cramp at the end of the Super Eagles match against Zambia. He will be okay.''
In the current season, the Foxes number 25 has been involved in nine matches across all competitions, logging 791 minutes.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24975
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:33pm On Oct 11, 2017
Gernot Rohr my biggest gamble reveals NFF boss Pinnick
By ScoreNigeria admin

The appointment of Gernot Rohr by Nigeria has been described by Amaju Pinnick as one of two biggest risks he has taken as NFF president.

The other big risk by Pinnick was going against Issa Hayatou in the CAF presidential race in March.

At the weekend, Rohr, who was appointed in July 2016, guided Nigeria to a sixth World Cup finals with a round of matches to spare when the Super Eagles flew past Zambia in Uyo.

“I have taken two risks in my life since becoming president of the NFF. The first one is the employment of this foreign coach and the other was to go against Issa Hayatou as CAF President,” he revealed

“And both risks have paid off.

“But if they had gone the other way round I am not sure I will be standing here today.”

He further said he took the risks after he had committed it to God before he brings it before the NFF executive committee.

“Before I take some risks, I first pray to God, once I get the belief, I proceed to sell it to my board members and once they buy it, I make it public,” he explained.

“Today it has paid off, nobody believed that the Eagles would
qualify with a game in hand.

“Nobody thought that Issa Hayatou could be beaten in the CAF elections, but it happened.”

**By Arafat Aliu

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/11/gernot-rohr-my-biggest-gamble-reveals-nff-boss-pinnick/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:35pm On Oct 11, 2017
Rumor Mill: Everton Monitoring Ahmed Musa's situation at Leicester City
By Laurel Chinedu

Everton are thought to be monitoring Nigeria forward Ahmed Musa's situation at Leicester City with a possible loan move for Musa in-case a recall from loan for Henry Onyekuru in January falls through, 90Minutesgoal.com reports.

A top source of the player told 90MinutesGoal that Musa has decided to move elsewhere once the transfer windows open in January as he is becoming increasingly frustrated with life at the King Power Stadium.

Also the source stated that 24-year-old Musa is aiming at getting his starting position back in the national team which he has lost to Moses Simon who plays for Belgian Pro League club KAA Gent.

The source said, Musa fears losing a place in the 23-man squad Nigeria's coach Gernot Rohr will take to the world Cup party in Russia due to the emergence of young and outstanding talents who are doing well in Europe, one of whom is Henry Onyekuru of Everton who is currently on loan at Anderlecht.

Musa is becoming frustrated with life in East Midlands as he has failed to nail a regular place in Leicester City after his big money (£16 million) move from Russian side CSKA moscow in 2016.

All efforts to form a formidable and fearsome strike partnership between Ahmed Musa and Jamie Vardy have failed; neither could Musa challenge Riyad Mahrez and Marc Albrighton for a place on the flank.

Original Source: www.90minutesgoal.com

Source: http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/17-18/rumour-mill/35645.html
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:37pm On Oct 11, 2017
Rohr rules out Mikel, Ighalo from Algeria World Cup qualifier
By ScoreNigeria admin

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has said skipper Mikel Obi and striker Odion Ighalo, who are both based in China, will not be available for next month’s final 2018 World Cup qualifier in

Algeria because of concerns over the logistics to connect Africa from the Far East within a short notice.
Nigeria have already qualified for Russia 2018, but they play their final World Cup qualifier in Constantine in Algeria on November 6.

Rohr informed SCORENigeria:

“For the China players, it would be difficult for them to make the game because they would be having their matches in the weekend before the game and as such it would be difficult for them to make it to Africa within the short time available.”
Officials have already disclosed that Nigeria plan to train in Morocco for the Algeria game.

**By Arafat Aliu

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/11/rohr-rules-out-mikel-ighalo-from-algeria-world-cup-qualifier/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:39pm On Oct 11, 2017
Eagles star Elderson out for 4 weeks, to miss World Cup qualifier in Algeria
By ScoreNigeria admin

Nigeria defender Elderson Echejile will be out for at least four weeks after he suffered a muscle injury during the country’s home win over Zambia at the weekend and as such he will miss next month’s World Cup qualifier in Algeria.

Turkey-based Elderson was forced out of the Zambia game in Uyo after 79 minutes because of the injury and was replaced by Ola Aina.

“Already we know that Elderson Echiejile is ruled out of the game because he is out for about four weeks due to the injury he sustained,” Rohr told SCORENigeria
It will be a chance to try a new player for the Eagles leftback position as Elderson has played the role all through the country’s qualifying campaign.

Another muscle injury kept him out of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

**By Arafat Aliu

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/11/eagles-star-elderson-out-for-4-weeks-to-miss-world-cup-qualifier-in-algeria/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:47pm On Oct 11, 2017
Arsenal's Alex Iwobi continuing to make strides for both club and country
By Tom Adams

When is an international break not an international break? When the usual dreary procession of non-events is shattered by the sight of teams actually qualifying for a World Cup -- accompanied by an outpouring of emotion and a tableau of joy. One such moment was provided by an Arsenal player.

Tears of happiness were shed in locations as disparate as Egypt, Panama and Iceland, if not exactly England. And in Nigeria, the honour of securing his country's place at the World Cup went to a mere 21-year-old: Alex Iwobi.
Twenty-four years after his uncle, Jay-Jay Okocha scored a goal to help take Nigeria to their first ever World Cup, in 1994, Iwobi's strike in a 1-0 win over Zambia took them to their sixth.

It was not a typical contribution: Iwobi may have scored in the 2-0 win over Brighton before the international break but that was his first goal of the season for Arsenal and only his seventh overall. It would hardly be accurate to say he has won over all supporters with his penalty-box prowess. Still, the past fortnight has been very encouraging for a player who had drifted well out of favour by the end of last season.

The switch to a back three by Arsene Wenger was a contributory factor, as Iwobi seemed to lack an obvious role in the new formation, which required two forwards playing off a central striker without a No. 10. But just as influential was a slump in form and confidence, set against the unfortunate backdrop of sniping from some supporters on social media.

Admittedly, branding yourself as "Big 17" rings slightly hollow when you've been removed from the frontline and had to briefly drop back down to the youth team.

Arsenal might have finished 2016-17 with renewed vigour, carrying them to the FA Cup final win over Chelsea but Iwobi certainly did not. Still, there has been a noticeable upturn in his prospects of late, starting really with the 0-0 draw away at Chelsea when he stepped in for Mesut Ozil and performed manfully, his more proactive brand of football giving Arsenal's pressing a convincing complexion -- something of a rarity.

This week he has grown in stature a little bit more again: assuming a central role in his country's progress to the World Cup, shouldering all the responsibility and embracing the acclaim that entails, will hardly harm his cause at club level.

Two goals, one for Arsenal and one for Nigeria, in such quick succession hint that Iwobi might be ready to take the next step which has been demanded of him by his manager.

"What you want from him is the final balls and goals as well," said Wenger after the win against Brighton. "A player like him must score 10 goals [this season] and he must as well give between six and 10 assists. That's what I want of him."

It is a huge challenge. Iwobi says he has worked hard at his finishing -- "People in my position were doing better than me in that aspect of the game, which is to eventually win games, and that's something I had to work on," he told the Evening Standard in September -- but it still requires a lot more finesse and he is liable to scuff a shot or fail to get enough velocity on the ball.
It is clear he is not ready to make the kind of goalscoring contribution that Alexis Sanchez does playing off Alexandre Lacazette -- and likely never will. But that is not necessarily what will be expected of him.

It has been rather overlooked that in the first half of last season, Iwobi played very nicely on the left of the attack, offering balance to the side as he cut inside as an additional playmaker while Theo Walcott hared forward from the right.

Now he finds himself on the other side of a reconfigured attack, with Sanchez on the opposite flank, but the effect can be similar. He is a player who helps to knit things together rather than always trying to cut teams apart at top speed.

This is what puts him in direct competition with Mesut Ozil and if it is a fight he is unlikely to win in the short-term -- at least when Ozil is fully fit -- he could profit from a vacancy come the summer when Ozil almost certainly leaves on a free transfer. He will not be the only one jockeying for that role: Jack Wilshere's promising early form since his return to fitness has made him a contender too, and who knows if Wenger has reinforcements in mind for January.
Resuming an interest in Thomas Lemar and actually signing the Monaco star would certainly complicate matters for the young Nigerian.

But then he is used to a challenge. The incomplete young forward who saw his first-team chances evaporate in the spring and summer had to prove himself all over again. After taking Nigeria to the World Cup, the process is in full swing.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/club/arsenal/359/blog/post/3226965/arsenal-youngster-alex-iwobi-continuing-to-make-strides-for-both-club-and-country?device=featurephone
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:56pm On Oct 11, 2017
African U-17 World Cup wonderkids who never realised their potential
By Ed Dove, KweséESPN

Unfortunately, Africa's starlets of the U-17 World Cup haven't always realised their potential at senior level.

Too often, a star turn at the biennial youth tournament has represented a premature career highlight for precocious talents who never managed to translate their qualities to senior level.

Unlike those African superstars who introduced themselves to a global audience at the World Cup before going onto build stellar careers in Europe, this quartet will forever be remembered as child prodigies whose trajectories stuttered.

Souleymane Coulibaly: Once upon a time, Coulibaly was hailed as the 'New Didier Drogba' after an outstanding showing at the U-17 World Cup in 2011.
He scored nine goals in four games - including an outstanding against Brazil - as the Ivorians reached the Round of 16.
The forward picked up the Golden Shoe at the competition for his contributions in front of goal, and subsequently earned a move to Tottenham Hotspur.

However, while the likes of Gareth Bale and Harry Kane established themselves as top-tier talents after arriving at Spurs as youngsters, Coulibaly's progress more closely mirrored the fortunes of Tomas Pekhart or Mbulelo Mabizela, neither of whom realised their potential.

It's not all over for Coulibaly, now 22, as he attempts to revive his career at Al-Ahly after stints with Kilmarnock, Peterborough United, and Newport County among others.

However, after fleeing Egypt for England earlier in the year - complaining of ill treatment in Cairo - the striker's current standing is a world away from what was once anticipated for him.

Macauley Chrisantus had the world at his feet back in 2007, when he top-scored at the U-17 World Cup as Nigeria picked up their third title.

His showings during the tournament in South Korea - notably scoring five in three group-stage matches - reportedly attracted interest from teams of the calibre of Real Madrid, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea, and duly, some eyebrows were raised when he opted for Hamburg.

Perhaps, one could reason, that the German club would offer him a quicker route to the first team than some of his other more heavyweight suitors.

Chrisantus himself was optimistic, and later blamed the club's significant turnover of managers - 10 in six years - as the key reason for his stagnation.
He netted 20 goals in 67 appearances with Las Palmas, and recently joined up with compatriot Suleiman Omo at Greek side PAS Lamia 1964 following a trial at Wisla Krakow.

Ishmael Addo looked set to become Ghana's next attacking sensation - following in the footsteps of Abedi Pele and Tony Yeboah - when he won the Golden Shoe at the 1999 U-17 World Cup, becoming the fourth African player to clinch the award.

Alongside the likes of Michael Essien and Razak Pimpong, he struck seven as Ghana finished third, and turned on the style during the latter stages of the competition as he netted four in three knockout games.

The fleet-footed Addo won a quintet of Ghanaian titles at Hearts of Oak, and retains the record for the most single goals in a Ghanaian top flight season after scoring 22 in the 2000-01 campaign.

His achievements on home soil and at the U-17 World Cup in Argentina were never replicated during the rest of his club career, as things petered out in Israel after a promising start to life with Maccabi Netanya.

His meteoric rise and subsequent toil were replicated - a decade later - by another Ghanaian wonderkid, Dominic Adiyiah, who's still to truly demonstrate the class he showed at the U-20 World Cup in 1999 on a consistent basis.

Nii Lamptey memorably dazzled spectators at the 1991 event in Italy as Ghana clinched the title, and was once tipped by Pele as his successor.

During the youth-team showpiece, he outshone the likes of Alessandro Del Piero and Juan Sebastian Veron and appeared set for a long and glittering career at the pinnacle of the game.
Indeed, for the Black Stars, the prospect of Lamptey lining up alongside Abedi Pele was a mouth-watering prospect.
However, after being smuggled to Europe after being passed off as the son of Nigeria legend Stephen Keshi, Lamptey's career declined.

He struggled to adapt to life in England after starring in Belgium, and later explained how a combination of exploitative agents, the loss of his support network and unrealistic expectations prompted his downfall.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/blog-football-africa/story/3226892/african-u-17-world-cup-wonderkids-who-never-realised-their-potential?device=featurephone
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:58pm On Oct 11, 2017
(Photo Confirmation) Nigeria Target In Line To Make Eagles Home Debut Vs Chelsea

Nigeria Football Federation target Freddie Ladapo is in line to feature for the Eagles when they tackle champions Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday.

The ex-Flying Eagles invitee has been photographed training with the first team as Crystal Palace stepped up their preparations for the match day eight fixture against the Blues.

Manager Roy Hodgson is being forced to play Ladapo after first-choice striker Christian Benteke suffered an injury, and handed him his competitive debut in the 4-0 loss to Manchester United before the second international break of the season.

Before Ladapo's appearance at Old Trafford, the highest division in the pyramid he has played in was the third-tier for Oldham Athletic A.F.C and Shrewsbury Town.

The London-born striker played the last sixteen minutes against the Red Devils, and could come up against Super Eagles star Victor Moses on Saturday.
Crystal Palace have zero points and no goals after their first seven games of the new season.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : cpfc.co.uk

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24977
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:08pm On Oct 11, 2017
CAF Set To Name 2018 CHAN Hosts, Confirm Cameroon For 2019 AFCON

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) will announce the new hosts of the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) on Saturday.

This was revealed during a meeting of the CHAN organising committee on Wednesday in Cairo, Egypt.

Morocco, Equatorial Guinea and Ethiopia are the three countries in the running for the hosting rights of the 2018 CHAN.
Kenya, who were initially billed to host the tournament, had their right to host withdrawn by CAF due lack of preparations.

The CHAN tournament, which is for players in the domestic leagues only, is due to kick off in January.

Meanwhile, CAF President, Ahmad Ahmad, who was present at Wednesday meeting, reaffirmed that Cameroon are still set to host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

“At no time had any consideration been given to revisiting decisions already taken in conformity with the provisions of the Statutes and leading to the designation of Cameroon, Ivory Coast and Guinea, as host country of the next three editions in 2019, 2021 and 2023.

“Our role is to best accompany Cameroon, which organizes in 2019, in a new format, to properly fill in the list of requirements of the host agreement,” Ahmad said.
The home-based Super Eagles eliminated Benin Republic 2-1 on aggregate in the play-offs for next year’s CHAN.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/caf-set-name-2018-chan-hosts-confirm-cameroon-2019-afcon/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by profmathsland(m): 10:10pm On Oct 11, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
John Ogu, Etebo & Iheanacho Will Play Against Algeria – Eagles Coach Rohr Suggest

A much changed but strong senior national team of Nigeria will be lined up by coach Gernot Rohr when the Eagles take on Algeria in their final World Cup 2018 Qualifiers in Algiers.

Nigeria are already through to the World Cup in Russia courtesy of their 1-0 win over Zambia on Saturday in Uyo, but Rohr insist they will approach the game with the seriousness it deserves.

A whole lot of players will be given the chance to showcase themselves in the game according to Rohr as he wants to provide every player with a chance to stake a claim for a start.

It means players like John Ogu, Oghenekaro Etebo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Anthony Nwakaeme and co who have been frozen out of the starting line up are going to be strong contenders to start in Algiers.

” We never go to a match with second team, we want to win our last match as well. At least not to lose so we can qualify without losing any game, it will be wonderful this is another challenge but I think we will play a second friendly game perhaps in Morocco to see all the players who couldn’t play in our previous games”, the coach said.

**Maxwell Pius

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/09/john-ogu-etebo-iheanacho-will-play-against-algeria-eagles-coach-rohr-suggest/

When the real guns have been shot to Russia, the remaining bullets can be used to shut out the north Africans.

1 Like

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by profmathsland(m): 10:13pm On Oct 11, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
CAF Set To Name 2018 CHAN Hosts, Confirm Cameroon For 2019 AFCON

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) will announce the new hosts of the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) on Saturday.

This was revealed during a meeting of the CHAN organising committee on Wednesday in Cairo, Egypt.

Morocco, Equatorial Guinea and Ethiopia are the three countries in the running for the hosting rights of the 2018 CHAN.
Kenya, who were initially billed to host the tournament, had their right to host withdrawn by CAF due lack of preparations.

The CHAN tournament, which is for players in the domestic leagues only, is due to kick off in January.

Meanwhile, CAF President, Ahmad Ahmad, who was present at Wednesday meeting, reaffirmed that Cameroon are still set to host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

“At no time had any consideration been given to revisiting decisions already taken in conformity with the provisions of the Statutes and leading to the designation of Cameroon, Ivory Coast and Guinea, as host country of the next three editions in 2019, 2021 and 2023.

“Our role is to best accompany Cameroon, which organizes in 2019, in a new format, to properly fill in the list of requirements of the host agreement,” Ahmad said.
The home-based Super Eagles eliminated Benin Republic 2-1 on aggregate in the play-offs for next year’s CHAN.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/caf-set-name-2018-chan-hosts-confirm-cameroon-2019-afcon/

May the best country get it
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:15pm On Oct 11, 2017
Ogu ‘Proud’ Super Eagles Made Nigerians Happy
By James Agberebi (photo by Ganiyu Yusuf)

Hapoel Beer-Sheva midfielder John Ogu is happy the Super Eagles brought smiles on the faces of Nigerians following their qualification for the FIFA 2018 World Cup.

The Eagles sealed their place at next year’s World Cup after edging African qualifying Group B Group B opponents Chipolopolo of Zambia 1-0 in Uyo last Saturday.

Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi, who replaced Moses Simon, scored the only goal in the 73rd minute from a brilliant cutback from Man of the Match Shehu Abdullahi.

Ogu was an unused substitute for the Eagles in the game and is yet to feature in any of the qualifiers.

“For the first time in my life, I saw Joy in the faces of many Nigerians on the Street after Qualifying for the World Cup!!! I’m super proud,” Ogu wrote on Twitter on Wednesday.

The Eagles’ last qualifying group game is away to Algeria in Constantine in November.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ogu-proud-super-eagles-made-nigerians-happy/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by profmathsland(m): 10:15pm On Oct 11, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
(Photo Confirmation) Nigeria Target In Line To Make Eagles Home Debut Vs Chelsea

Nigeria Football Federation target Freddie Ladapo is in line to feature for the Eagles when they tackle champions Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday.

The ex-Flying Eagles invitee has been photographed training with the first team as Crystal Palace stepped up their preparations for the match day eight fixture against the Blues.

Manager Roy Hodgson is being forced to play Ladapo after first-choice striker Christian Benteke suffered an injury, and handed him his competitive debut in the 4-0 loss to Manchester United before the second international break of the season.

Before Ladapo's appearance at Old Trafford, the highest division in the pyramid he has played in was the third-tier for Oldham Athletic A.F.C and Shrewsbury Town.

The London-born striker played the last sixteen minutes against the Red Devils, and could come up against Super Eagles star Victor Moses on Saturday.
Crystal Palace have zero points and no goals after their first seven games of the new season.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : cpfc.co.uk

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24977

Fresh blood loading 99.9999999999%
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by profmathsland(m): 10:19pm On Oct 11, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
By Ed Dove, KweséESPN

Unfortunately, Africa's starlets of the U-17 World Cup haven't always realised their potential at senior level.

Too often, a star turn at the biennial youth tournament has represented a premature career highlight for precocious talents who never managed to translate their qualities to senior level.

Unlike those African superstars who introduced themselves to a global audience at the World Cup before going onto build stellar careers in Europe, this quartet will forever be remembered as child prodigies whose trajectories stuttered.

Souleymane Coulibaly: Once upon a time, Coulibaly was hailed as the 'New Didier Drogba' after an outstanding showing at the U-17 World Cup in 2011.
He scored nine goals in four games - including an outstanding against Brazil - as the Ivorians reached the Round of 16.
The forward picked up the Golden Shoe at the competition for his contributions in front of goal, and subsequently earned a move to Tottenham Hotspur.

However, while the likes of Gareth Bale and Harry Kane established themselves as top-tier talents after arriving at Spurs as youngsters, Coulibaly's progress more closely mirrored the fortunes of Tomas Pekhart or Mbulelo Mabizela, neither of whom realised their potential.

It's not all over for Coulibaly, now 22, as he attempts to revive his career at Al-Ahly after stints with Kilmarnock, Peterborough United, and Newport County among others.

However, after fleeing Egypt for England earlier in the year - complaining of ill treatment in Cairo - the striker's current standing is a world away from what was once anticipated for him.

Macauley Chrisantus had the world at his feet back in 2007, when he top-scored at the U-17 World Cup as Nigeria picked up their third title.

His showings during the tournament in South Korea - notably scoring five in three group-stage matches - reportedly attracted interest from teams of the calibre of Real Madrid, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea, and duly, some eyebrows were raised when he opted for Hamburg.

Perhaps, one could reason, that the German club would offer him a quicker route to the first team than some of his other more heavyweight suitors.

Chrisantus himself was optimistic, and later blamed the club's significant turnover of managers - 10 in six years - as the key reason for his stagnation.
He netted 20 goals in 67 appearances with Las Palmas, and recently joined up with compatriot Suleiman Omo at Greek side PAS Lamia 1964 following a trial at Wisla Krakow.

Ishmael Addo looked set to become Ghana's next attacking sensation - following in the footsteps of Abedi Pele and Tony Yeboah - when he won the Golden Shoe at the 1999 U-17 World Cup, becoming the fourth African player to clinch the award.

Alongside the likes of Michael Essien and Razak Pimpong, he struck seven as Ghana finished third, and turned on the style during the latter stages of the competition as he netted four in three knockout games.

The fleet-footed Addo won a quintet of Ghanaian titles at Hearts of Oak, and retains the record for the most single goals in a Ghanaian top flight season after scoring 22 in the 2000-01 campaign.

His achievements on home soil and at the U-17 World Cup in Argentina were never replicated during the rest of his club career, as things petered out in Israel after a promising start to life with Maccabi Netanya.

His meteoric rise and subsequent toil were replicated - a decade later - by another Ghanaian wonderkid, Dominic Adiyiah, who's still to truly demonstrate the class he showed at the U-20 World Cup in 1999 on a consistent basis.

Nii Lamptey memorably dazzled spectators at the 1991 event in Italy as Ghana clinched the title, and was once tipped by Pele as his successor.

During the youth-team showpiece, he outshone the likes of Alessandro Del Piero and Juan Sebastian Veron and appeared set for a long and glittering career at the pinnacle of the game.
Indeed, for the Black Stars, the prospect of Lamptey lining up alongside Abedi Pele was a mouth-watering prospect.
However, after being smuggled to Europe after being passed off as the son of Nigeria legend Stephen Keshi, Lamptey's career declined.

He struggled to adapt to life in England after starring in Belgium, and later explained how a combination of exploitative agents, the loss of his support network and unrealistic expectations prompted his downfall.

Source: http://kwese.espn.com/football/blog-football-africa/story/3226892/african-u-17-world-cup-wonderkids-who-never-realised-their-potential?device=featurephone

The beautyful ones are not yet born
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:35pm On Oct 11, 2017
Recap of Gernot Rohr's words on Victor Moses

“He is a world-class player and you can rely on him any time and any moment he is playing.

“He is the most impressive player in my team.

“He is fast and I hope he will not get injured before the World Cup in Russia.

“I have absolute confidence in him.”
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:55pm On Oct 11, 2017
'Nigerian Messi' : The Good Things Liverpool Manager Klopp Told Me

Bobby Adekanye, dubbed the Nigerian Messi in his homeland, has reiterated that he's hoping to make his debut for Liverpool before the end of the 2017-2018 season, having trained with the first-team on a number of occasions.

The 18-year-old winger received words of encouragement from Reds manager Jürgen Klopp before he started working out with the first-teamers.

''Hopefully, then, my dream comes true, and that's the first time in Liverpool,'' said Adekanye to voetbalzone.nl.

''He said some good things to me: Klopp said I should not be too nervous and just show myself. He said that I had to enjoy it and that's right because, if I enjoy, I get the best out of my game.

''Klopp is a good trainer and gives the youth players who want to work for him the chance. I am willing to work hard and we will see where it goes.''

The former PSV, Ajax Amsterdam and Barcelona wonderkid comes off contract with Liverpool in June 2018, and hopes to sign a new deal.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24979
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:05pm On Oct 11, 2017
Forgotten Super Eagles Striker Ikechukwu Uche Hit Brace For Spanish Side

Former Super Eagles striker Ikechukwu Uche rolled back the hands of time as he scored a quick brace to lift his Spanish side Gimnastic to a 2-0 win over Granada in a second division game in Spain.

Uche grabbed his brace withing a space of four minutes netting in the 27th and 31th minute of the game to lift his side to a comfortable win over visiting Granada.

The brace took his tally for the season to three in seven games as he continue to rebuild his career which nose dived after he made a shocking move to Mexican side Tigres UNAL from La-Liga side Villarreal .

Last season he scored 8 goals in 24 games, his best goal return since the 2014/2015 season when he was at Villarreal and scored 6 goals before leaving for Mexico.

Once upon a time he was a firm Super Eagles fan favourite, and he played a role in their AFCON 2013 win in South Africa even though he was sparingly used by then coach the late Stephen Keshi.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/11/forgotten-super-eagles-striker-ikechukwu-uche-hit-brace-for-spanish-side/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by Isahalbash(m): 5:38am On Oct 12, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
By Ed Dove, KweséESPN

Is it the same Dominic Adiyiah[b]
TheSuperNerd:
By Ed Dove, KweséESPN

Is it the same Dominic Adiyiah[/b]
TheSuperNerd:
By Ed Dove, KweséESPN

Is it the same Dominic Adiyiah who won the u20 world cup in Egypt 2009 or a different one, because I saw 1999 here.
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:04am On Oct 12, 2017
Dominic Adiyiah played at the 2009 U-20 World cup winning the Golden boot with 8goals and Golden ball also as the best player. He went on to play for Ghana at the 2010 Fifa WC. But after that, he also went downhill from there... Ghana still see the impact of The likes of Emmanuel Badu and Andre Ayew from that class but Adiyiah is long forgotten now.

But Ishmael Addo is different, he played at the 1999 U-17 Fifa World cup.... he is different from Adiyiah and the article was restricted to U-17 alone. And he too shone by winning the Golden boot back then at U-17.

Isahalbash:

Is it the same Dominic Adiyiah[b]

Is it the same Dominic Adiyiah[/b]

Is it the same Dominic Adiyiah who won the u20 world cup in Egypt 2009 or a different one, because I saw 1999 here.

1 Like

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:08am On Oct 12, 2017
Rohr Line Up Russian-Nigerian Defender Idowu As Replacement For Injured Echiejile

Super Eagles left full back Elderson Echiejile has been ruled out of Nigeria’s final World Cup 2018 Qualifiers tie against Algeria in Algiers after picking up a hamstring injury in their 1-0 win over Zambia last weekend.

Echiejile went off injured late in the game, and was replaced by Chelsea full back Ola Aina , and recent test suggest he will spend at least four weeks on the sidelines as he work his way back to full fitness.

The length of time he will be out has lead to coach Gernot Rohr of the Super Eagles casting a glance at Russian-Nigerian defender Brian Idowu.

Idowu plays for Russian side Amkar Perm, and even though he qualifies to represent Russia, he was interested in switching allegiance to Nigeria before their first game against Algeria.

Issues concerning owning a Nigerian passport stopped him from honouring the call to represent Nigeria who are already through to the World Cup courtesy of their 1-0 win over Zambia last weekend.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/11/rohr-line-up-russian-nigerian-defender-idowu-as-replacement-for-injured-echiejile/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:31am On Oct 12, 2017
Official: Algeria vs Nigeria World Cup 2018 qualifier now November 10
By ScoreNigeria admin

The Algeria Football Association (FAF) have announced the country’s team will host Nigeria in a final 2018 World Cup qualifier on November 10 in Constantine, 400 kilometres east of the capital city Algiers.

Kick-off time has been fixed for 8.30 local time.

FAF said the date was chosen so as to allow them arrange a friendly after this qualifier within the FIFA-friendly window.
Nigeria have already qualified for next year’s World Cup in Russia as winners of Group B.

And no matter the outcome of this match, “whipping boys” Algeria will finish bottom of the group as they have only managed a single point in five matches.

Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/11/official-algeria-vs-nigeria-world-cup-2018-qualifier-now-november-10/&hl=en-NG
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by Isahalbash(m): 9:33am On Oct 12, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Dominic Adiyiah played at the 2009 U-20 World cup winning the Golden boot with 8goals and Golden ball also as the best player. He went on to play for Ghana at the 2010 Fifa WC. But after that, he also went downhill from there... Ghana still see the impact of The likes of Emmanuel Badu and Andre Ayew from that class but Adiyiah is long forgotten now.

But Ishmael Addo is different, he played at the 1999 U-17 Fifa World cup.... he is different from Adiyiah and the article was restricted to U-17 alone. And he too shone by winning the Golden boot back then at U-17.

I get it now, d 1999 was referring to Addo not Dominic Adiyiah.

but serious, it seems like those guys our u17/u20s who flopped after d jnr tournament were only doing well at those tournament, because they played against their younger brothers.

Just my opinion...
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:37am On Oct 12, 2017
Shakespeare: Iheanacho Is Stronger, Fitter For Leicester Battles

Leicester City manager Craig Shakespeare has stated that Nigeria forward Kelechi Iheanacho is in good shape ahead of Monday’s clash against West Brom in the English Premier League.

Shakespeare is banking on Iheanacho’s return to full fitness to halt the dwindling fortunes of his side this season.

Iheanacho’s start at Leicester City this season was blighted by a toe injury but the 21-year-old looks ready to make his second start for Leicester in Monday’s clash at the King Power Stadium.

“I am hopeful, we are now getting a fully fit squad back. There will be competition for places. We need that. We only have a few injuries now,” Shakespeare told Leicester Mercury.

“Iheanacho has started to look stronger and fitter in training.”
Iheanacho’s only start was against Huddersfield but he has made four substitute apearances as he pushes for a more prominent role in the team. The former Manchester City was an unused substitute for the Super Eagles in Saturday’s 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over Zambia which sealed Nigeria’s place at Russia 2018.

Shakespeare also believes his side are on the right track to start a winning streak but insists the Foxes must adapt well during games.

Leicester City suffered defeats to Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool but beat Brighton and drew with Huddersfield and Bournemouth away from home in their opening seven games to record five points from a possible of 21.

“If we want to change shape and be adaptable during games it is nice to have that,” he added.

“We have been in all the games this season. Of course there are some where the opposition have dominated possession, but ultimately we have given everyone a game.

“If we can turn some of those performances into points then we will be okay.”

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/shakespeare-iheanacho-stronger/

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (32) (Reply)

Gustavo Scarpa Loses £1m (N560m) To Crypto Scam / NFF Releases Super Eagles 23 Man List For 2019 AFCON / Champions League: List Of Teams That Made It To The Round Of 16

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 220
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.