Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,169 members, 7,960,650 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 07:18 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (489) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4530881 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 8:59am On Jul 12, 2013
Mike..ZA:
You know your place. Nigeria can't invade any country,with well organised and equipped army. If you still think,your armed forces are capable of moving their tanks or armoured vehicles in a cross country warfare. Stop dreaming.

i think you should read your history books very well, cos we did it alone during the Liberian and SL war. isn't that enough proof?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Donian007: 10:01am On Jul 12, 2013
Mike..ZA:
South Africans will keep taking you to school. Show any homemade Nigerian designed MRAP without outside help. South Africa manufactures a lot of them,the USA has since bought thousands of them for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Let me give you a list of a few Mamba,RG41,RG31,Casspir,Mbombe,Husky and the Marauda
First it was about NIGERIA not having MRAPS, after you've been proven wrong you go round again with another request informed by your doubting mindset. SATISFY YOUR CURIOUSITY- PROFORCE is currently working to produce better and more advanced APVs, MRAPS, APCs, APBs. www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products/armoured-personnel-carriers/56-modal-content/113-pf1 www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products/armoured-patrol-vehicles/56-modal-content/117-pf2 www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products/armoured-patrol-boats www.proforcedefence.com

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by dragon2(m): 10:02am On Jul 12, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Donian007: 10:17am On Jul 12, 2013
andrewza:
and we achvied a 30 to 1 kill rastio.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHEHEHE, CHOOII! Dis wan neva tire 2 dey yarn dis thg? Abi na rambo una sojamen be? CHOII!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 10:31am On Jul 12, 2013
This isn't South African, it's French. Initially designed for SA.
When SA engineers wanted to upgrade these systems they found they were too obsulete, wouldn't be financially worth it.
Would be cheaper to design a new system, and the Umkhonto programme was born.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1195312_saa_1_product_jpg3918f242cc31f834970b483c0c53b5a0[/img]
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 10:45am On Jul 12, 2013
South african airforce

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 10:46am On Jul 12, 2013
Link to the South African Military Academy

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=saldanha%2Bmilitary%2Bacademy&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww0.sun.ac.za%2FMilScience%2F&ei=5tDfUcatHsPB7Aat8oC4DQ&usg=AFQjCNHyX_c-TvhHEwULLLN0HF6isiCivg&bvm=bv.48705608,d.ZWU
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 10:49am On Jul 12, 2013
To those that think South Africa does not have satellite......open the attached link
http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=settaliite%2Bcapabilities%2Bof%2Bsouth%2Bafrica&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.southafrica.info%2Fabout%2Fscience%2Fsatellite-071011.htm&ei=ftHfUcKSNMWI7Aak7IDIDA&usg=AFQjCNGyvXj9eThJ9p604Y4w2bPFVgs8-Q
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Donian007: 11:04am On Jul 12, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Botswana defence can destroy all your formations,since Nigeria doesn't have harmful like Egypt,South Africa and Algeria.
BWAHAHAHAHA, CHAI, SEE SENIOR OLODO, ARIKPA DEY TALK! That must be a slip-of-tongue. Even your comrade @Andrewza wiil laugh at this claim. LOL
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 11:04am On Jul 12, 2013
The link is about the world best paratroopers taking part in exercises held by South Africa in 2001 and note THE BEST IN THE WORLD AND WHO WON AGAINST THE BEST

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=airborne%2Bafrica%2B2001&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fairbornafric.stormpages.com%2F&ei=3NTfUcC5ONCQ7AaY8oDIDg&usg=AFQjCNG1jQ8rO0BSk2tHeNEgHyDokPw76Q
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:07am On Jul 12, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

A fool knows not the world beyond his nose! Why you dey answer dat yeye burger sef?

You need to see them scrambling to board Arik Air in their numbers everyday and this Mike..ZA as deluded as always sits there with his empty head stuck inside his behind talking nonsense.

those ones in nigeria are the ones who have see the light of the universe outside pretoria's cage of mental global information and travel experience blackout.

the ones on this forum are the part of the ones locked up inside south africa and made to belive they are living in 'europe' protected and guarded by one of the 'best armies in the world' .

these majority live in delusion of their colonial residue, deceiving themselvs in their hallucination game where they are the players, spectators, referees and coaches at the same time...living in day-dreamers island called pretoria republic.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 12, 2013
@henry, thanks for the indept and insightful analysis you gave concerning my question on the culture of a people in relations to their secret services. I am looking forward to hearing from @agaugust and @andrewza. @snydergp is one person i would like to hear from concerning this matter.

Just curious @henry, did you listen to the documentary?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:11am On Jul 12, 2013
Mike..ZA:
You know your place. Nigeria can't invade any country,with well organised and equipped army. If you still think,your armed forces are capable of moving their tanks or armoured vehicles in a cross country warfare. Stop dreaming.

liberia and sierra leone wars 12 years non-stop operations of nigerian army, navy, air force with 15,000 men plus tanks, artillery, warships, jet fighters.....this tells me to pray for your doctor to speed up the date for your total brain transplant, surgery failed to help you.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 11:12am On Jul 12, 2013
PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 11:20am On Jul 12, 2013
South African electronic warfare technology has, and continues to make its mark in the international military arena, with home-grown self-protection systems being used by numerous defence forces around the world.

A wide range of defence forces – including India, Malaysia, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Oman, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, South Korea, the Netherlands, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Germany, Peru, and Greece - are using indigenous South African electronic warfare technology. Approximately 95% of the systems manufactured in South Africa are sold to export markets, making it a valuable source of revenue for South Africa. Job creation in engineering and production are additional advantages, according to Saab Grintek Defence.

90% of these systems are designed and produced at Saab Grintek Defence’s facilities in South Africa, the company said. As a result, the company was recently awarded the Best Export Company in South Africa title by the Department of Trade and Industry.

“There is this assumption that Africa is not strong when it comes to technology and innovation, but this turns that view on its face,” said Chris Skinner, head of marketing and sales at Saab Grintek Defence.

He cited Saab’s Integrated Defensive Aids Suite (IDAS) as an example. This provides missile, radar and laser warning and delivers appropriate countermeasures when fired upon, all the while keeping track of every type of signal out there. It has been designed for both helicopters and fixed wing aircraft. Saab also produces protection systems for both land and naval applications.

Skinner said that Saab South Africa’s contract with the Indian air force, one of its biggest customers to date, with a current order value in excess of R400 million, is the perfect illustration of long-term use of South African products and technology as this platform will remain in production for many years to come.

“India developed a local helicopter, the [Dhruv] ALH or advanced light helicopter, with Saab selected as the default self-protection system for its air force and army. We’re now working with them on several levels: the provision of the original systems, training and technology transfer to allow the Indian industry to initially handle the in-country support, and eventually almost full local production of our systems,” he explained.

Apart from air force customers, Saab is also supplying original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), such as Agusta Westland and Eurocopter, with self-protection systems as well as avionic equipment including Health and Usage Monitoring, Mission Recorders and Communications Controllers, for inclusion into packages for its end customers.

“With IDAS, a locally developed and manufactured product, airborne platforms can radically improve defensive and operational capabilities, which in itself is gratifying, but add the significant source of export revenue and it becomes something of which we are extremely proud,” comments Magnus Lewis-Olssen, Saab South Africa’s CEO.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:35am On Jul 12, 2013
Donian007: First it was about NIGERIA not having MRAPS, after you've been proven wrong you go round again with another request informed by your doubting mindset. SATISFY YOUR CURIOUSITY- PROFORCE is currently working to produce better and more advanced APVs, MRAPS, APCs, APBs.

allow me to copy your posted weblinks and add some more. thnaks

[size=16pt]weapons/platforms proudly made in nigeria[/size]

www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products/armoured-personnel-carriers/56-modal-content/113-pf1 www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products/armoured-patrol-vehicles/56-modal-content/117-pf2 www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products/armoured-patrol-boats www.proforcedefence.com

[size=16pt]MRAPS designed and made in nigeria by a nigerian company[/size]

http://www.african-defense.com/?p=1520
http://businessdaynigeria.com/proforce-apc-beams-searchlight-security

quote :

"Mr. Owojori listed other products of the plant as Armoured Cash Movement Vehicle (bullion vans of different kinds); BMC 250-10 Z (4x4) Weapon Carrier Vehicle (a multi-purpose armoured vehicle); and Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle (BM 350-16Z [4x4] MRAP)."

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 11:38am On Jul 12, 2013
Proudly south african

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:39am On Jul 12, 2013
Thiza: The link is about the world best paratroopers taking part in exercises held by South Africa in 2001 and note THE BEST IN THE WORLD AND WHO WON AGAINST THE BEST

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=airborne%2Bafrica%2B2001&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fairbornafric.stormpages.com%2F&ei=3NTfUcC5ONCQ7AaY8oDIDg&usg=AFQjCNG1jQ8rO0BSk2tHeNEgHyDokPw76Q

south african paratroopers were disgraced in CAR combat by seleka 'youth team B' grin

best in the world ? south africa ? grin

tell that story to a deaf and dumb man who cannot hear the lies grin

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:40am On Jul 12, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:45am On Jul 12, 2013
saengine: This isn't South African, it's French. Initially designed for SA.
When SA engineers wanted to upgrade these systems they found they were too obsulete, wouldn't be financially worth it.
Would be cheaper to design a new system, and the Umkhonto programme was born.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1195312_saa_1_product_jpg3918f242cc31f834970b483c0c53b5a0[/img]

that pic is crotale missiles made in france sold to south africa as cactus missile. see why i asked you all to pick out the european weapons in @THIZA's post, instead your countrymen were insulting me. one more to go...that Olifant tank is NOT a south african product. i proved that 3 times on this forum, anyone ready to let me make a fool of him again today ? show your face !
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 11:46am On Jul 12, 2013
agaugust:

liberia and sierra leone wars 12 years non-stop operations of nigerian army, navy, air force with 15,000 men plus tanks, artillery, warships, jet fighters.....this tells me to pray for your doctor to speed up the date for your total brain transplant, surgery failed to help you.
I will keep telling you this,Nigeria has never fought any "stand alone war",which will reflect the true state of your armed forces. In Liberia and sierra leone,you were standing ground with ECOMOG forces. And when I say "stand alone" I mean like SA in CAR,without any foreign backers or organisations.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:49am On Jul 12, 2013
Mike..ZA:
That's a Olifant tank. South Africa is capable of building tanks. They did so with the TTD(tank technology demonstrator). YES,the are countries ahead of SA,but we lead Africa. So shut up.

south africa has never built a tank and no plans to build one yet. that tank in @THIZA's post is NOT a south african made tank, it is british made, you just upgraded it, simple.

would you like to argue about olifant tank so that i can publicly white-wash you today ? give you some embarrassments ? get it ?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 11:49am On Jul 12, 2013
chris365:

i think you should read your history books very well, cos we did it alone during the Liberian and SL war. isn't that enough proof?
Unless I have been reading some wrong history,Nigeria was with ECOMOG.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:50am On Jul 12, 2013
OOOH "FONG KONG" FROM BEIJING grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
THIS DOESN'T LOOK LIKA ARMY VEHICLE, IT LOOKS LIKA "TOURISTS BAKKIE/TRUCK" TO MAPUNGUBWE NATIONAL PARK.

agaugust:

allow me to copy your posted weblinks and add some more. thnaks

[size=16pt]weapons/platforms proudly made in nigeria[/size]

www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products/armoured-personnel-carriers/56-modal-content/113-pf1 www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products/armoured-patrol-vehicles/56-modal-content/117-pf2 www.proforcedefence.com/index.php/armoured-products/armoured-patrol-boats www.proforcedefence.com

[size=16pt]MRAPS designed and made in nigeria by a nigerian company[/size]

http://www.african-defense.com/?p=1520
http://businessdaynigeria.com/proforce-apc-beams-searchlight-security

quote :

"Mr. Owojori listed other products of the plant as Armoured Cash Movement Vehicle (bullion vans of different kinds); BMC 250-10 Z (4x4) Weapon Carrier Vehicle (a multi-purpose armoured vehicle); and Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle (BM 350-16Z [4x4] MRAP)."

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 11:53am On Jul 12, 2013
Mike..ZA:
I will keep telling you this,Nigeria has never fought any "stand alone war",which will reflect the true state of your armed forces. In Liberia and sierra leone,you were standing ground with ECOMOG forces. And when I say "stand alone" I mean like SA in CAR,without any foreign backers or organisations.

97% of ECOMOG force was nigerian and full battle-field tactical/strategic combat operations command was nigerian too.

1,000 nigerian soldiers died in 12 years of ECOMOG, how many soldiers died from Ghana ? use your brain, dont idle it.

sweden your master that sold south africa Gripen jets has never fougth any war in modern history, yet they are ranked in global top 20 militaries, same case with south korea, turkey, etc. use your brain i say, dont idle it, its getting rusted already, dumbo grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 12:06pm On Jul 12, 2013
agaugust:

south africa has never built a tank and no plans to build one yet. that tank in @THIZA's post is NOT a south african made tank, it is british made, you just upgraded it, simple.

would you like to argue about olifant tank so that i can publicly white-wash you today ? give you some embarrassments ? get it ?
"The South African Olifant mk1B main battle tank.
The Olifant mk1B main battle tank was developed
and produced by the Olifant Manufacturing
Company, OMC Engineering pty Ltd, based in
South Africa. Development of the Olifant started
in 1976 and first entered service with the South
African Armoured Corps in the late 1970s. OMC
Engineering later became Reumech OMC, then
Vickers OMC and, in September 2002 was
renamed Alvis OMC, following the acquisition of
Vickers Defence by Alvis plc. In September 2004,
Alvis OMC became part of BAE Systems Land
Systems.
Olifant main battle tank development
The layout of the Olifant mk1 was very similar to
that of the South African Semel tank which was
based on an upgraded conversion of the British
Centurion tanks. The Olifant has been continually
upgraded. The mk1A entered full-scale
production in 1983 and the first were in service
by 1985. In the same year that the mk1A entered
the production phase, development work was
started on the mk1B, and these tanks were in
production during the 1990s and are operational
in the South African Armed Forces.
The South African Army has 172 Olifant mk1A/B
main battle tanks in operation. The Olifant 1B
entered service in 1991. The upgrades included
the installation of a more powerful 105mm L7
cannon, a hand-held laser rangefinder and a first
generation image intensifier. The range of the
tank was increased by the installation of a diesel
engine and additional fuel tanks.
In September 2003, BAE Systems Land Systems
OMC was awarded a contract by Armscor (the
South African Department of Defence
procurement agency) to upgrade 13 Olifant
mk1B tanks. The upgrade programme included a
new powerpack from Delkon which increases
power by 15%, upgrade of gun and turret drives
by Reutech Defence Logistics, new fire control
system and target detection and engagement
system with thermal imaging capability, both
supplied by IST Dynamics. A follow-on contract for
a further 13 tanks upgraded to Olifant mk2
standard was awarded in September 2005. The
Olifant mk2 entered service in 2007.
Olifant weapons
The Olifant mk1B main battle tank is armed with
the 105mm L7 rifled cannon main gun. The gun
on the mk1B is fitted with a thermal sleeve for
sustained accuracy in firing. The mk1B carries 68
rounds of 105mm ammunition.
The tank is also fitted with a 7.62mm general
purpose co-axial machine gun and a 7.62mm
anti-aircraft machine gun.
Fire control
The driver's station is equipped with a day and
night sight and the gunner's station is fitted with
day and night sights and an integrated laser
rangefinder.
Self-protection
The glacis plate and nose of the hull have been
upgraded with the addition of passive armour and
the turret has been fitted with stand-off armour.
The installation of a double-armour floor gives the
crew additional protection against mines. The
running gear is protected against HEAT missiles
by new sideskirts.
A smoke screen can be laid by a fuel injection
system in the engine's exhaust. A fire detection
and suppression system improves the level of
survivability.
Engine
The V-12 air-cooled turbo diesel
engine provides 900hp. The tank
has been equipped with torsion bar
running gear and hydraulic dampers
have been fitted to the first and last
pair of wheels.
Mobility
The tank achieves a maximum road speed of
58km/h and the maximum range on internal fuel
is 350km. The tank can ford water to a depth of
1.5m, negotiate gradients and slopes of 60% and
30% and vertical obstacles up to 1m in height.
Olifant 2 main battle tank turret upgrade
LIW, a division of Denel, has developed the Olifant
2 main battle tank turret, which can be fitted on
an upgraded Olifant mk1B chassis, providing the
tank with hunter killer modes of operation, fire on
the move and day and night time engagement.
The turret can be armed with either LIW's GT8
105mm or an LIW 120mm smoothbore gun and
features periscopic stabilised day / thermal
gunner's sight with laser rangefinder, panoramic
commander's sight, full solution fire control
system and modular armour package" here's a "cut and paste" for you my brother,South Africa has even built the TTD,which was supposed to replace the Olifant(Oliphant). Now I dare you to embarrass me. South Africa is capable of producing anything military we might need taking on your army. GET IT?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 12, 2013
souldust: @henry, thanks for the indept and insightful analysis you gave concerning my question on the culture of a people in relations to their secret services. I am looking forward to hearing from @agaugust and @andrewza. @snydergp is one person i would like to hear from concerning this matter.

Just curious @henry, did you listen to the documentary?

No, I haven't yet listened to it. My answer was based on your question and the little brief you gave, and my knowledge of secret services around the world, and in particular that of our own SSS.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:16pm On Jul 12, 2013
I have posted Tens of South African products and there was no comment at all....Forwarded the Denel Missile Broucher and there was silence, Proved that South Africa has setallite and not only one but three and now South Africa is on the process of revamping its space centre and its lauch capabilities and there was no comment. Hardly showing a tank which of course its British but upgraded with South African world bitter technology ....YOU DECENDED LIKE VULTURES OBSERVING A CARCASS.....NOTHING MORE THAT RIDICULING SOUTH AFRICA BUT THE TRUTH SOUTH AFRICA IS BETTER THAN NIGERIA AND IF SO DO NOT THUMP SUCH BUT PROVE IT.....SHOW CASE WHAT YOU HAVE NOT TWO SHAME LOOKING ARMOURED CARRIERS....SEE BELOW WHAT I MEAN:

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2013
Proudly South African

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2013
Mike..ZA:
South Africa doesn't need main battle tanks,but some "experts" are saying we need them for deterrent purposes. We can just buy a fleet of wheeled IFVs like the Badger and the RG41. And are the German Leopard 2 tanks still being manufactured,cause it is the favourite for project Aorta.

MBT have a use. They defently needed. Has it is the olfantMK2 is still the best tank in sub shara africa. And equal to the M1A1s and T90s of the north. Wheesled AFV can not carry that much armour. A olohant MK2 is 61tones.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2013
Proudly South Africa

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:21pm On Jul 12, 2013
chris365:

i haven't been to both but judged from the amount of foreign military personnel that enrolled in both. and we have always shown to know what we are doing. even you can't deny it.

Do you know the amount of forghiners attending sa milltary accdemys or nigerian once for that matter. SA does not make that info public.

(1) (2) (3) ... (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.