Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,055 members, 7,980,755 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 12:58 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (490) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4547413 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:24pm On Jul 12, 2013
drag_on: lol,millitary academy?south africa? the same country that can't train its troops?
http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2012/09/25/sandf-in-big-trouble
http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/Exam-cheat-is-training-army-20130407

Were does it say there we can not train troops. There is a major miltary exsize staring now with 5000 people involved. Comprension is a skill you do not seem to poses.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2013
Thiza: I have posted Tens of South African products and there was no comment at all....Forwarded the Denel Missile Broucher and there was silence, Proved that South Africa has setallite and not only one but three and now South Africa is on the process of revamping its space centre and its lauch capabilities and there was no comment. Hardly showing a tank which of course its British but upgraded with South African world bitter technology ....YOU DECENDED LIKE VULTURES OBSERVING A CARCASS.....NOTHING MORE THAT RIDICULING SOUTH AFRICA BUT THE TRUTH SOUTH AFRICA IS BETTER THAN NIGERIA AND IF SO DO NOT THUMP SUCH BUT PROVE IT.....SHOW CASE WHAT YOU HAVE NOT TWO SHAME LOOKING ARMOURED CARRIERS....SEE BELOW WHAT I MEAN:

you don't seem to get the point. Aside from showing pictures of weapons produced by DENEL and modeled by SANDF, your military are not disciplined and well trained to mount these weapons and use them very well in real combat. even the commander of your men in DRC is a cheat. how the hell can you fend off a better trained and tested Nigerian military?

you better join the body bag industry cos your military will soon be your biggest costumer once they start confrontations with M23 grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:29pm On Jul 12, 2013
agaugust:

south african paratroopers were disgraced in CAR combat by seleka 'youth team B' grin

best in the world ? south africa ? grin

tell that story to a deaf and dumb man who cannot hear the lies grin

did you not see the pics i posted of the true seleka?

our forces in CAR did a great job and proved they are a force to be feared.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 12:34pm On Jul 12, 2013
@AGAUGUST you have ran out of ideas and the only form of defence your posting is PHD (PUT HIM DOWN SYNDROME, YOU FAILED TO DEBATE AND NOW RESORTED INTO DESTRUCTIVE DEFENCE TO RIDICULE EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE WHO HAPPENS TO BE SOUTH AFRICAN. I REPEAT NIGERIA IS FAR BEHIND SOUTH AFRICA IN ECONOMY, MILITARY, TECHNOLOGY, DEVELOPMENT, HEALTH ETC.....NOTE SOUTH AFRICA HAS CRUISE MISSILE AND STAND OFF WEAPONS.....COME AND INVADE AND ATLEAST PREPARE FOR WATER GRAVERY. the taste of the pudding is in the eating....evidence and nothing more...SHAME
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 12:35pm On Jul 12, 2013
andrewza:

Were does it say there we can not train troops. There is a major miltary exsize staring now with 5000 people involved. Comprension is a skill you do not seem to poses.

isn't CAR enough proof that your military is just a modelling agency? since you've not seen any major military operation outside you borders aside from the Angolan bush war which you didn't win, CAR was an opportunity you lost and you expect us to believe you again.
it says the officer in charge of training troops that are to join the offensive in DRC is not qualified, how do you think that will help you win against an advanced version of seleka (M23 an co.)
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:41pm On Jul 12, 2013
chris365:

you don't seem to get the point. Aside from showing pictures of weapons produced by DENEL and modeled by SANDF, your military are not disciplined and well trained to mount these weapons and use them very well in real combat. even the commander of your men in DRC is a cheat. how the hell can you fend off a better trained and tested Nigerian military?

you better join the body bag industry cos your military will soon be your biggest costumer once they start confrontations with M23 grin

We use them fine, and our traing is of a far high standard than yours. This is from people I know that have been with your forces in sudan.

The comander of our forces in sudan is not a cheat. You should learn to compreand what you read. He was found guilty striped of rank and that it. He is in charge of a traing area. Aka he does not lead men or train men.

Has for the rest of the artical. What extra training and from whom. Has for the letter. What letter no letter was produced and no member of the SANDF or our unions know of this letter or any complates from the un. Cliam of illdisplien yet not one sandf member from sudan has had any complant raised against them.

I don't see how extra training is needed. A sandf patrol was ambushed by rebels useing heavy wepaons and only 1 persone died.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
chris365:

isn't CAR enough proof that your military is just a modelling agency? since you've not seen any major military operation outside you borders aside from the Angolan bush war which you didn't win, CAR was an opportunity you lost and you expect us to believe you again.
it says the officer in charge of training troops that are to join the offensive in DRC is not qualified, how do you think that will help you win against an advanced version of seleka (M23 an co.)

250 sa solders killed 800 rebels for only 15 dead. So CAR is proof we are trained enough.

We never lost a singel battel in angola by the way.

It does not say he is not qulfied. It says he was caught cheating and demoted.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 12:46pm On Jul 12, 2013
andrewza:

It says he was caught cheating and demoted.

please feel free to translate what it means if not unqualified. undecided
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:49pm On Jul 12, 2013
agaugust:

south africa has never built a tank and no plans to build one yet. that tank in @THIZA's post is NOT a south african made tank, it is british made, you just upgraded it, simple.

would you like to argue about olifant tank so that i can publicly white-wash you today ? give you some embarrassments ? get it ?

The olfany mkb and mk2 were built in sa.

And upgrade is a nice way of saying. New engine,supension,chasie,gun,fire control,armour,gear box,tracks extra extra. It like saying a the new golf GTI is only a upgrade of the mark one golf.

And the israle merkva MBT is all so built from the centurion.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 12:49pm On Jul 12, 2013
andrewza:

250 sa solders killed 800 rebels for only 15 dead..

and who did the counting? the fleeing SA army or seleka complained to your president about their loses? undecided
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:51pm On Jul 12, 2013
chris365:

please feel free to translate what it means if not unqualified. undecided

It means he faild a test. It does not say if he rewrote it and passed a second time or what the test was. It could have been for a miltary drivers liseance.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:54pm On Jul 12, 2013
chris365:

and who did the counting? the fleeing SA army or seleka complained to your president about their loses? undecided

SA solders never fled from there bases. And selka them self admit they sufferd heavy losses. One captian saying he lost half of his 500 men alone. Another thought he was fighting a force of 400. At that time it had max could have been 200 and was probally only 150.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
andrewza:

SA solders never fled from there bases. And selka them self admit they sufferd heavy losses . One captian saying he lost half of his 500 men alone. Another thought he was fighting a force of 400. At that time it had max could have been 200 and was probally only 150.
erm, you mean kids?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 1:02pm On Jul 12, 2013
andrewza:
It could have been for a miltary drivers liseance.

i like you patriotism but military drivers license? grin grin grin grin grin
how the hell would UN take a military drivers license failure to weigh combat training exercise. it must have been a serious test to prove his qualification to train for combat and to me that's unqualified.

and if he had rewritten the test and passed, it won't have been an issue by now. i feel sorry for your boys' venture to DRC
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 1:04pm On Jul 12, 2013
scipher: erm, you mean kids?

Go back a few padges to see the true seleka. And a 16 year old is a kid.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 1:07pm On Jul 12, 2013
chris365:

i like you patriotism but military drivers license? grin grin grin grin grin
how the hell would UN take a military drivers license failure to weigh combat training exercise. it must have been a serious test to prove his qualification to train for combat and to me that's unqualified.

and if he had rewritten the test and passed, it won't have been an issue by now. i feel sorry for your boys' venture to DRC

The UN don't know what test it is either unless he told him.

Any case it was probaly some staff course test. Since he got promoted he has writen and passed the test.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by chris365(m): 1:09pm On Jul 12, 2013
andrewza:

SA solders never fled from there bases.

that's not what i saw. i saw their bases abandoned with logistics being paraded by seleka fighters. your government tried to deceive you with their own version and it worked.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 1:13pm On Jul 12, 2013
chris365:

that's not what i saw. i saw their bases abandoned with logistics being paraded by seleka fighters. your government tried to deceive you with their own version and it worked.

Even selekas version is the same.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 12, 2013
andrewza:

Go back a few padges to see the true seleka. And a 16 year old is a kid.

SANDF is only good at engaging kids grin lol
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 1:17pm On Jul 12, 2013
scipher: SANDF is only good at engaging kids grin lol

So I take it you never went to look at the pics of the true seleka. Untill you do best stop embarsing your self.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 1:19pm On Jul 12, 2013
South African electronic warfare technology has, and continues to make its mark in the international military arena, with home-grown self-protection systems being used by numerous defence forces around the world.

A wide range of defence forces – including India, Malaysia, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Oman, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, South Korea, the Netherlands, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, Germany, Peru, and Greece - are using indigenous South African electronic warfare technology. Approximately 95% of the systems manufactured in South Africa are sold to export markets, making it a valuable source of revenue for South Africa. Job creation in engineering and production are additional advantages, according to Saab Grintek Defence.

90% of these systems are designed and produced at Saab Grintek Defence’s facilities in South Africa, the company said. As a result, the company was recently awarded the Best Export Company in South Africa title by the Department of Trade and Industry.

“There is this assumption that Africa is not strong when it comes to technology and innovation, but this turns that view on its face,” said Chris Skinner, head of marketing and sales at Saab Grintek Defence.

He cited Saab’s Integrated Defensive Aids Suite (IDAS) as an example. This provides missile, radar and laser warning and delivers appropriate countermeasures when fired upon, all the while keeping track of every type of signal out there. It has been designed for both helicopters and fixed wing aircraft. Saab also produces protection systems for both land and naval applications.

Skinner said that Saab South Africa’s contract with the Indian air force, one of its biggest customers to date, with a current order value in excess of R400 million, is the perfect illustration of long-term use of South African products and technology as this platform will remain in production for many years to come.

“India developed a local helicopter, the [Dhruv] ALH or advanced light helicopter, with Saab selected as the default self-protection system for its air force and army. We’re now working with them on several levels: the provision of the original systems, training and technology transfer to allow the Indian industry to initially handle the in-country support, and eventually almost full local production of our systems,” he explained.

Apart from air force customers, Saab is also supplying original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), such as Agusta Westland and Eurocopter, with self-protection systems as well as avionic equipment including Health and Usage Monitoring, Mission Recorders and Communications Controllers, for inclusion into packages for its end customers.

“With IDAS, a locally developed and manufactured product, airborne platforms can radically improve defensive and operational capabilities, which in itself is gratifying, but add the significant source of export revenue and it becomes something of which we are extremely proud,” comments Magnus Lewis-Olssen, Saab South Africa’s CEO.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 1:19pm On Jul 12, 2013
South African missiles and unmanned air vehicles company Denel Dynamics unveiled a new missile technology development programme on Tuesday. The new programme, designated Marlin, is focused on technology for a new family of all-weather air defence missiles.

The intent is to produce both air-to-air missile (AAM) and surface-to-air missile (SAM) versions of the Marlin. The AAM model would be in the beyond-visual-range category while the SAM would come in naval and army versions.

South Africa is currently investing in risk-reduction technology for the programme. This could lead to a missile demonstrator. However, these activities are intended to form the basis of a joint development programme with a friendly country, inspired by the successful A-Darter programme with Brazil. Investment from a partner country will allow the Marlin initiative to become a full-scale weapon development programme.

“As seen with the A-Darter programme, this type of initiative can sustain and grow industry,” highlighted Denel Dynamics CEO Jan Wessels. “Competitive, indigenous, guided missiles design and development capability serves a number of strategic objectives for both South Africa and other advanced developing nations. Locally developed defence products translate into improved technological capability for both countries and create an independent defence capability that is of strategic importance.”

The development programme for the A-Darter will come to an end towards the end of next year (to be followed by the production programme). The missile is currently entering its qualification phase. Wessels reported that there has been great synergy between the South African and Brazilian teams working on the project, in terms of vision, technical capability and work ethic.

“We look forward to expanding on this through more joint programmes,” he affirmed. Denel Dynamics, which is part of the State-owned Denel defence industrial group, is seeking to become a leader in advancing technology amongst developing countries, particularly the Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa group (better known as Brics). The unveiling of the Marlin programme coincided with the opening of the LAAD Defence and Security 2013 exhibition in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Thiza: 1:24pm On Jul 12, 2013
Another South African milestone product...Milkor (Pty) Ltd is a privately owned South African company internationally known for it's 40mm Multiple Grenade Launcher

http://www.milkor.co.za/pdfs/Milkor%20Products%20Brochure.pdf
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 12, 2013
andrewza:

So I take it you never went to look at the pics of the true seleka. Untill you do best stop embarsing your self.
SANDF has always been a joke, I don't need to look at any pics...
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 2:53pm On Jul 12, 2013
scipher: SANDF has always been a joke, I don't need to look at any pics...

Say a nation who, in just under 500 pages, have only demonstrated 2 low-quality home made products. One of which is a yet-to-be-seen zeppelin like spy balloon designed to infringe on the rights of Naai-gerians.

What could be more of a joke than that? cheesy
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 3:24pm On Jul 12, 2013
CraigB:

Respected? What is your academic ranking? I can give you Stellenbosch's academic ranking.

Don't give us a statement that no one can quantify. Academically, where are you ranked in the world? Numbers please. Not words.

You said our military "is too slow to run an institution ". I was all too happy to show you that America does it like South Africa. Same academic system for military studies. So, AMERICAn defence are too slow to run an institution too? undecided

You spoke too soon and now you're in a sticky situation. May I please have your academic ranking as well as your internationally published, peer reviewed papers.

Ignorance is your greatest problem. My silence on this matter is for a reason. Materials at our disposal cannot be used here verbatim. I am still trying to extract what is possible in order to give you guys a quick run down without a compromise to operational identities and internal sources. Just be patient. All I can say for now is that you have beautiful buildings filled with more foreign manpower -- lecturers and postgraduate (masters, doctoral, and post doctoral) students/candidates than your local South Africans in a roughly 7:3 ratio. Without them your rankings would be nothing to write home about. On the surface your NRF database can give you some insight on authors of published research work and patents. Yes, the authors' University or institution takes the credit ... but the output and quality of research remain their personal effort.

Having said this, the story of the current rankings of SA universities cannot be divorced from the influence and effort of foreign faculty members who constitute close to 60-70% of SA's academic workforce. Refute this at your own peril.

Take a look here for starters:
================================================
http://allafrica.com/stories/200910210423.html
http://www.ngopulse.org/press-release/south-africa-needs-thousands-more-and-better-teachers-every-year
http://www.africa-platform.org/resources/nigerias-technical-aid-corps-pearl-south-south-cooperation
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 4:00pm On Jul 12, 2013
scipher: SANDF has always been a joke, I don't need to look at any pics...

If we a joke that makes you that bad joke were every body laughs at the guy who told it. Before never seeing him again.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2013
CraigB:

Say a nation who, in just under 500 pages, have only demonstrated 2 low-quality home made products. One of which is a yet-to-be-seen zeppelin like spy balloon designed to infringe on the rights of Naai-gerians.

I have pasted multiple images of nigerian made products.

Granted, nigeria's defence industry is not as large or as developed as that of south africa, nonetheless nigeria's public and private defence industry, is growing at a very very good pace.

the nigerian made 'IGIRIGI' apc is in the class of an otokar cobra, the panhard VBL (series) and the turkish sandcat APC. Very fast, manoeuvrable, and packs the right amount of power.

I have also pasted multiple photos of nigerian made APV's, and APB's of modant and proforce defence.

The proforce "PF1" MRAP is another great nigerian product. Again multiple photos have been pasted including links to their website.

We have seen NNS ANDONI, which is a great seaward defence boat.

I have also pasted multiple images of nigerian made drones, frome amebo 1- it's last improved variant which is 3.

Shipbuilding which includes the production of OPV's for the navy

I have also pasted images of nigerian made armoured catamarans.

We have also seen nigerian made SAM's and satellites, included were photos and links.

My compatriots have shown us images of nigerian made SPY ballons, and multiple links to buttress our points.

As well as making components, camera's and parts of our MI-35p's, augusta luh and the F-7ni.

The igirigi apc, the proforce MRAP, the seaward defence boat, and all other products made by nigeria meet or in many cases exceed pre-determined world standards.

No one here has said that nigeria's defence industry is bigger or up to the standards of the south african defence industry.

What we have constantly nailed at is, if sanctions were to hit the nigerian military, the nigerian defence industry has the capacity to absorb a lot of the effects from the sanctions and still grow.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2013
CraigB:

Granted, nigeria's defence industry is not as large or as developed as that of south africa, nonetheless nigeria's public and private defence industry, is growing at a very very good pace.

the nigerian made 'IGIRIGI' apc is in the class of an otokar cobra, the panhard VBL (series) and the turkish sandcat APC. Very fast, manoeuvrable, and packs the right amount of power.

I have also pasted multiple photos of nigerian made APV's, and APB's of modant and proforce defence.

The proforce "PF1" MRAP is another great nigerian product. Again multiple photos have been pasted including links to their website.

I have also pasted multiple images of nigerian made drones, frome amebo 1- it's last improved variant which is 3.

We have also seen nigerian made SAM's and satellites, included were photos and links.

My compatriots have shown us images of nigerian made SPY ballons, and multiple links to buttress our points.

As well as making components, camera's and parts of our MI-35p's, augusta luh and the F-7ni.

The igirigi apc, the proforce MRAP, the seaward defence boat, and all other products made by nigeria meet or in many cases exceed pre-determined world standards.

No one here has said that nigeria's defence industry is bigger or up to the standards of the south african defence industry.

What we have constantly nailed at is, if sanctions were to hit the nigerian military, the nigerian defence industry has the capacity to absorb a lot of the effects from the sanctions and still grow.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 4:47pm On Jul 12, 2013
Henry120:

CraigB has only revealed how much capacity his brain can handle. 33% of 500 pages!
QED.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 4:48pm On Jul 12, 2013
CraigB:

Your brain's capacity can only handle 33% of your 500 pages.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 5:07pm On Jul 12, 2013
Henry120:

1. What right amount of power does IGIRIGI pack?
2. Nigeria does not produce any SAM's
3. You have not shown us any images of spy balloons. You've shown us a computer generated image of a concept that could have been drawn by anyone. For example , the so called spy balloon in that image is communicating with a western european jet. Either a mig or sukhoi. Why not put F7 or Alpha jets If that image has anythhing to do with Nigeria
4. Even though Nigeria is trying, nothing built in that country completely from scratch exceeds any pre determined world standards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.