Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:47 AM

What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? (6231 Views)

Poll: Which 3 Matter Most To You And Could Persuade You To Return To Nigeria?

Good Health Service: 13% (70 votes)
Low Crime: 22% (114 votes)
Good Roads: 12% (62 votes)
Full Time Electricity: 33% (170 votes)
Full Time Running Water: 6% (31 votes)
Full Time Telephony: 0% (5 votes)
Good Education System: 10% (53 votes)
This poll has ended

I Have No Problem With Igbos Leaving Nigeria. Infact I Encourage It. / Nigerians Encourage Corruption – President Jonathan / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Outstrip(f): 7:03pm On Apr 06, 2010
jemmyvibe:

I'm sorry to say, but why do you guys living abroad paint a big deal of a picture coming back to Naija?

Bluetooth! Lack of opporwhat? Do you know the rate at which Indians and Lebanese are flocking into the country on a daily basis?

There are opportunities in Nigeria but you need to stop being in denial. How does the people flocking in from other countries benefit all those graduates that cannot even feed themselves. Most people living in Nigeria are seriously struggling. I am so sorry but a select few are doing okay and even those doing okay still have to deal with issues of no infrastructure and wasting money to gas up their generators. Ridiculous to say the least. It's like saying to someone who is an armed robber "at least he is not a cultist". Nigeria is bad and that is the fact. What makes Nigeria special to me is childhood memories, my family and of course the familiarity of home. I just will not make excuses for the state of things
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 06, 2010
^^

You are going off topic. But if you would be so disgruntled in Nigeria why are Indians, Chinese and Lebanese flocking to the country on a daily basis?
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 7:10pm On Apr 06, 2010
And to think that to achieve all these things is not too difficult, it amazes me
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Wallie(m): 7:20pm On Apr 06, 2010
A dead person is DEAD and will never be able to enjoy 24/7 electricity, good roads, great manufacturing economy that dwarfs China, and even first class healthcare! One needs to be around to effect or enjoy change; hence, security being the most important factor!

The funny thing is that the issue of security is a catch-22. Mass employment which will employ a would-be robber can only happen in the manufacturing sector but manufacturing requires abundant supply of energy!
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 06, 2010
jemmyvibe:

I'm sorry to say, but why do you guys living abroad paint a big deal of a picture coming back to Naija?

Bluetooth! Lack of opporwhat? Do you know the rate at which Indians and Lebanese are flocking into the country on a daily basis?

yeah,the opportunities in nigeria that are not utilized by nigerians are the ones the indians,lebanese and chincos are taking away.it is a normal thing for people to migrate in search of greener pastures but your worth where you are going matters.the nigeria factor has placed nigerians at a big disadvantage.most jobs are given to white because of racial factor but the issue is why are most jobs not given to nigerians.i used to blame it on the poor quality of our graduates till i found out that the nigeria factor contributed a lot to the mass pullout.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Konjour(m): 7:36pm On Apr 06, 2010
Absolutely nothin', but i'll return because that's my true home. cool
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Tarmpa: 7:41pm On Apr 06, 2010
tensor777:

Well I am sure it was not things like the lack of 24-hour electricity and other utilities as factors that made most people here leave the country. Perhaps that is what they enjoy now and are unwilling to give up.
I don't really see these as issues if there are opportunities to be tapped in the country. The most relevant factor should be security.
You're right my guy, amenities like electricity,water, etc are very good, but nevertheless, could be created individually in our various homes for comfort.But security is what u cant afford all alone & cant joke with,I tried that in 2001,an ex soldier security man was already arranged by my Dad based on my instructions befor my arrival, but when those mega boys came visitn on the very day of my arrival, **hmn,,they got him terribly delt with,brutalized & maimed.They made away with everything includn my marmoset.It was soooo painful & humiliating, imagine those malodorous beings,shoutn at me!!.& telln me to lie down!.Well,i traveld back within dat week & was too scared to visit again until this yr.SECURITY IS VERY IMPORTANT.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by sosilly1(m): 7:45pm On Apr 06, 2010
tensor777:

^^

You are going off topic. But if you would be so disgruntled in Nigeria why are Indians, Chinese and Lebanese flocking to the country on a daily basis?

You make it sound like all these nationalities have come to contribute positively to Nigeria as a whole. If i'm correct the Indians/Lebanese import generators, Chinese import other things   with less regulations to adhere to (than they would when exporting to the west) & there was once talks to contract our rail industry to them. With all the engineering professionals across the globe Nigeria can lay claim to i don't see why we need to give out such contract to another country. Some foreign company was implicated in investigations to what happened to the supposed regeneration & rebranding of NEPA/PHCN/It-doesn't-matter-since-we-won't-get-light-anyway plc,

In summary these people you have mentioned have come to feed off our misery, one way or another! They are not "flocking" to Nigeria for a better life or from the share goodness of their hearts,

On another note, because our fathers or in this case our great great grand fathers grew up in similar conditions & are happy is no reason or excuse to suggest we should do the same. Why are we crying about education if we just want to remain in the same rut Why did we bother with independence in the first place then

Ghana celebrated 365 days of uninterrupted electricity supply last year, right? Foreign companies & multinational companies have started pulling out of Nigeria, right? With the coming age of renewable energy, less need for some crude oil products & possible discoveries of oil fields in places other than Nigeria how long will it take for Shell & co to see operations in Nigeria as a hassle & pull out? Yes the possibility of the later is still far off but must we wait till then to get our house in order?

I love Nigeria tho,

Excuse my lack of actual evidence or source on my claim(s) but i hope you get my drift?!
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by skyone(m): 9:00pm On Apr 06, 2010
Bad road equals natural disaster in Nigeria as it has consumed thousands of life,

There are other wars to fight aside bad roads i.e Serious armed robbers, pick pockets, electricity palava, unexpected riots from militants, voo doo, evil possessed people, corruption, fuel scarcity, traffic jam/robbery, dishonest cops, fumes, etc,

But it doesn't stop me from visiting Nigeria every year,  sad
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by mridea(m): 10:37pm On Apr 06, 2010
Good Leadership.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 06, 2010
People didn't vote quality education cry cry cry cry cry cry cry,

Won't you educate those that will maintain the constant electricity? Or we want electricity engineers like Becomerich? What is wrong with you people? misplaced priority. Filebe oun ti mo mor ni moun shee. Let us do what we know how to do. Farming. I'm surprised food wasn't on that list. How can I live in country my salary can't afford chicken if I'm earning minimum wage? KFC and popeyes ain't there? Uhh? Toonie tuesday gone? forever? hahahahah no way!!!!

But still Christmas ain't Christmas if I'm not in Lagos or PH
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 10:55pm On Apr 06, 2010
whao!what an intresting topic&replies.i love it all,both d meaninful&d meaninless replies.As 4 me,notin can separate me 4rm d love of dis country,nt even electricity nor bad leaders can prevent me frm comin home or else mayb war which i doubt.we nigerian av brain mor dan most of dem no woder nigerians are able dupe those citizen of those called great nations.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 06, 2010
nothing! Nigeria is a lost cause. The regard for human life is just appalling
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by EzeUche(m): 11:04pm On Apr 06, 2010
Give me electricity and I will return with open arms!!!

Then I can start some companies up with a reliable energy grid.

And that would save me a lot of Naira instead of wasting on powering up my generators.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Feraz(m): 11:35pm On Apr 06, 2010

nothing! Nigeria is a lost cause.
says who? angry
Funny i and someone were discussing this (electricity) today. He told me if i think generator importers are ready to loose millions of naira, then i should think again. Just like it happens with viewing centers who pay phcn for power failure ten mins to the kick off of a football match and restores it five to ten mins to the kick off of second half just to make gain. Agreed that electricity will solve almost 50% of nigeria's problems but how do we correct the mentality above?
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by comechop(m): 11:41pm On Apr 06, 2010
In no particular order:

Security
Amenities - NEPA, Roads etc
Education
Real opportunites (work hard and see the fruit of your labor)
Zero corruption
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by nigerfine: 12:59am On Apr 07, 2010
Good leadership, corrupt free country,electricity, good road.pardon me for picking outside the list
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by justwise(m): 1:01am On Apr 07, 2010
7 virgins cool cool cool
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by flimo(m): 3:09am On Apr 07, 2010
Number one reason I will return to Nigeria is low crime rate
2 Good Health Service
3 Stable electricity(which doesnt really matter as I can rely on solar energy)
Nice option huh? smiley
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Ndipe(m): 4:00am On Apr 07, 2010
Honestly, I am a Nigerian at heart, and irrespective of the problems she faces, I still envision moving back home someday. There are millions of Nigeria who are surviving back home despite the plethora of problems like electricity, crime, water and all that. Truth is, sometimes, people back home, despite the challenges are happy and live a fruitful than those out here with lots of amenities at their disposal.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by becomrich6: 4:17am On Apr 07, 2010
When nigeria break up would encourage us to return back. Most nigerian abroad would, if they break up nigeria. Then they would have a country they can call thier home. Most people leave because nigeria is not really thier country. The north makes them feel they own nigeria, so most are discourage.

you expect people to love nigeria. If not that God is against saying bad word. I would have use the F word on you people.

We want to leave you because you people are wicked and unfair evil people, who do not care a shit1 about us. And we should not care what happen to you too.  You are still lucky we have not use the military option. And we Yorubas would use the military if you dont correct the injustice against.

Look all party better forget Yorubaland, If they do not correct the Injustice and I know there would be blood shed if they claim they won,   Or do you people think we like you people at this moment, to be honest with you, we really hate you people. It take the grace of God for our people not to start killing your people living on our land. It takes the grace of God. And Do you want to wait, till they start killing people before your senate and house of rep member do something. Is that what you want.  Look they would kill every senators and house of rep member in Yorubaland. If they dont rewrite the wrong. Go ask people what they did in 1983.  Where is Omoboriwo to come and tell his story. Go and ask NPN members how they kill their family members and burn them alive.  I know they are going to do it again, if they dont rewrite the wrong.

If not for Jesus, I would have use the F word on U like the vice president of the USA.

Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:04am On Apr 07, 2010
I need to be able to select more than 3options the poll allows, before I would consider returning.

1. Good and stable leadership
2. Low crime /good security
3. Good Health service
4. Electricity
5. Good Roads
6. Good education
7. comparable wages to what could be earned in developed countries
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:41am On Apr 07, 2010
i'm already in nigeria so don't need any 'encouragement' to return grin
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 07, 2010
i nor dey stay long 4 naija if i visit, sorry ohh, nor vex i nor go return, the country is sick, the country needs rehabilitation, it has nothing for me,
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by ud4u: 8:52am On Apr 07, 2010
Absolutely nothing is encouraging people in Nigeria. Is it insecurity, power outage, bad roads, no water, no sound education, the poor becoming poorer and rich becoming richer or is it the accumulation of resources by our elites to the detriment of the poor masses, just to mention but a few.

I' am sick and tired of this country. The only slogan in this country that keeps people going is that God will see us through. Just suffering and smiling.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by yorubason: 8:59am On Apr 07, 2010
Me i will return because of my land that blindly associating with nigeria besides that, it's a bag of scums.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Freiburger(m): 9:27am On Apr 07, 2010
None of the above listed factors. Execpt when my ppl starts thinking on how to get it right generally, coz none of the above mentioned factors can function without the other, execpt of that of the sound education system, its sounds tempting.
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by mrofficial(m): 11:04am On Apr 07, 2010
No place like home. When i have money, I can do anything i like. Total freedom!
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by member479760: 11:21am On Apr 07, 2010
You are absolutely correct!!!
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by Echidime(m): 3:44pm On Apr 07, 2010
@iyeayo: What do you think is making the world go round if not Sex ? Go home and have a real thinking you will realise that every one is working so hard just to have a little sex and please a woman grin grin grin grin grin grin By the way why do you hide your email address i want to reach you since your here in Australia with me,get back to me immedaitely at least as my fellow Nigiera We can hook up and help our country from here
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by jokingmary(m): 8:47pm On Apr 07, 2010
if i should happen to go out of nigeria the only thing that would make me come back is good governance
cause with good governance we will say good by to curruption in nigeria (that would happen in the next centurygrin)
Re: What Would Encourage You To Return To Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 9:27pm On Apr 07, 2010
jokingmary:

if i should happen to go out of nigeria the only thing that would make me come back is good governance
cause with good governance we will say good by to curruption in nigeria (that would happen in the next centurygrin)

True, I agree because with bad and evil politics, we sure ain't going anywhere. Although for now I would stick with electricity from the choices.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Taskforce Recovers Arms, Munition, Charms, Others At Apapa / Presidency To Spend ₦402.2m On Maintenance Of Generators, Furniture, Others / Ogun Lawmaker’s Wife Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.