Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,747 members, 7,875,861 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:55 PM

My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos (34531 Views)

Ibrahim Babangida (IBB's) Message To Igbos / Regina: Canada Government sends message to Igbos living in the country / South-west Leaders Caution Igbos Over Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ereolamide: 4:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
Stingman:

Truth is that you FEAR the Igbos..no be so?

In your heart can you swear that this Law is not meant to hurt the Igbos?

Will it hurt the northerners...the Ijaws as much...? The answer is no...

How about that little coward?

Oga no go wound yourself o. shocked

Why do you feel I'm the one to vent your frustrations on?

Fear Igbos? Stop flattering yourself mate, your tribe is the most looked-down upon in Nigeria, how can I fear someone I flog anytime I wish to.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by mercyville: 4:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
Ihatepork:
Why are these ones writing silly epistles about a bill that has already been passed. One daft mumu is even talking about marriage to potorpotor women lol. They always react without sense grin cheesy

And for those praising the OP that she's this and that. I hope you'll use the same mouth to praise her when she spews her regular nonsense

She's just as foolish as the rest of them. Don't be deceived. I don't know why some of you get easily carried away

It is just the spur of the moment.She or he can revert back to her original state if she deems fit.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by ConcernedNL: 4:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
Stingman:

How many aside of the Igbos seek admission in LASU?

You mean to tell me only igbos are in Lasu? Off my head, i know friends who are not igbo or yoruba who finished from Lasu.

The law is for the preservation of culture, who seeks admission there is secondary.

If you have a borehole, do you care to pass the tap outside your gate to feed the neigbors water if you dont preserve your family first?

Let every man of every tribe be patriotic to his own people, that is the restructuring i am talking.

It is not hatred, it is hypocricy if i do otherwise.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Stingman: 4:01pm On Feb 14, 2018
ConcernedNL:

My friend, let me tell you plain. The only people in Nigeria that dont support splitting is the North.

The only people who think disrespecting others to achieve their goals is the east, we wwill not support the igbos, simple. You are a disrespectful bunch and we are fine not supporting you, when we know we are ready to divide, out of Nigeria, we will push for it the way we know how to, teaming up with whoever we deem right, as of now, the time is not rife, neither are easterners jolly partners.....

...because they are disrespectful you will not support them...but the northerners kill you and destroy your farms and you still support them...Don't you see how irrational your comment is? Lies, envy, deceit, treachery is your hallmark.

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by ConcernedNL: 4:02pm On Feb 14, 2018
historyworld031:
yoruba can't take lagos in case of a split.

We would take lagos and take more parts of the country infact. theres no point arguing. The SW is becoming awake to her own

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Stingman: 4:02pm On Feb 14, 2018
Ereolamide:

Oga no go wound yourself o. shocked

Why do you feel I'm the one to vent your frustrations on?

Fear Igbos? Stop flattering yourself mate, your tribe is the most looked-down upon in Nigeria, how can I fear someone I flog anytime I wish to.

...but your laws say they opposite?
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by olabrad: 4:13pm On Feb 14, 2018
Stingman:

When will you promote same in the market places where the northerners thrive? Your laws only target the Igbos. How mant northerners apply to go to LASU? This won't affect them. If it affects them...hahaha...you know what they would do...Then emissaries will come form Sokoto and Kano and the coward legislators would be force to eat their vomit...Case closed...

Is that the nonsense you tell yourselves in your camp of small minds? Your comment just showed that your life is ruled by inferiority complex. One would think only igbos reside in Lagos. Other tribes aren't complaining except you. Is it by force to stay in another person's state?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by bakynes(m): 4:13pm On Feb 14, 2018
historyworld031:
You are funny,Yorubas can't take Lagos incase of a split you say, Remember it is not a Boundary state, it is right in the heart of Yorubaland. Bring your War we are ready for you, You will tell us if we forced you to invest in Lagos or Lagos is your Father land.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ereolamide: 4:14pm On Feb 14, 2018
Stingman:

...but your laws say they opposite?
I'm not your pen-pal or chat-buddy, mate.

if you don't have anything reasonable to say, stop quoting me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ihatepork: 4:14pm On Feb 14, 2018
Stingman:

Coward..why not come our clearly and be man enough to declare your nation. Do you see anyone asking those in Benin republic of any laws...

I pity those who might be affected by this..but I don't stay in your brown roof sh*thole of a place.

Man enough? Shut the fvck up! It's not upon you to tell us when to declare. Who the fvck are you?

Tell your people that stay there to go back to their potorpotor paradise if they don't like the laws being passed in the brown roof shithole

Kapish?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by mercyville: 4:16pm On Feb 14, 2018
historyworld031:

lol..who will stop us in our ancestral land,you weaklings or who?You will be more than suyanised..Igbos that only 10 Fulanis attacked them in Enugu and everybody scampered into IDP camp.You cannot face Hausa or the rugged Fulani but you want to face the Yoruba warriors that even the Fulani dread..you no dey learn?grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ihatepork: 4:16pm On Feb 14, 2018
historyworld031:

No, it's Edo that will take it. Olodo ràbàtà grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Nobody: 4:17pm On Feb 14, 2018
haha, yoruba land, haha ...hahaha...
Lagos has never been part of yoruba land, the brits stole it from its true owners: the Edo.
Now a guy in faraway ife thinks Lagos is his land ?!?!

bakynes:

You are funny,Yorubas can't take Lagos incase of a split you say, Remember it is not a Boundary state, it is right in the heart of Yorubaland. Bring your War we are ready for you, You will tell us if we forced you to invest in Lagos or Lagos is your Father land.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by ConcernedNL: 4:19pm On Feb 14, 2018
Stingman:

...because they are disrespectful you will not support them...but the northerners kill you and destroy your farms and you still support them...Don't you see how irrational your comment is? Lies, envy, deceit, treachery is your hallmark.

Let me put it this way, Nigeria military is currently under fulani control, agreed?

Yoruba pick up arms very seriously to fight => Nigeria Army tries to occupy Yoruba Land => they infiltrate our ranks and set us back, hholding the threat of violence over our head => herdsmen killing continue

OR

Yoruba says hey we will defend ourselves => We fight a little, but dont make it an all out retaliatory battle => We loose some people, true, they loose some people too => The military controlled by fulani finds yorubaland peaceful => No justifiable reason to invade => restructuring => We grow our society, become stable and developed => We are relatively powerful => blah blah blah

If you want live, get more powerful and fight another day, you dont beat war drums too early

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 14, 2018
Well whose land is it ?
mr Olodo Rabata
Anyway, don't believe me, just watch.
Ihatepork:

No, it's Edo that will take it. Olodo ràbàtà grin
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by ConcernedNL: 4:20pm On Feb 14, 2018
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ihatepork: 4:36pm On Feb 14, 2018

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ihatepork: 4:36pm On Feb 14, 2018
historyworld031:
Well whose land is it ?
mr Olodo Rabata
Anyway, don't believe me, just watch.

Lmaooo. I need to know who your dealer is for you to even think Lagos won't be part of Yorubaland if Nigeria breaks up. Lagos that's part of DAWN commission. Maybe you'll move Lagos from its current location to Edo state. grin The whole Edo-Lagos nonsense ends on the pages of Vanguard, Punch and Nairaland. You're still in 16th century mode. Wake up grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by oodualover: 4:37pm On Feb 14, 2018
When you think ibo people- an ethnic that have been agitating for a seperate republic will support this law, you might just end up becoming stunned. Hausa people that have always resist any call for disintegrating this country are not even bothered about the effect- whether this might divide the country more, and probably split the country. No! Hausa people are not perturbed. But it is ibos, people that have been proponent of Nigeria balkanization that are dismayed by the bill.
This implies that ibos don't want Nigeria to split. They just pretend they do because they are confused and don't know where they stand or what they want. Hausa people are the ones that should oppose the bill the most.
Ibos have just shown us that they are the unity beggers. Yoruba people are already taking the neccessary steps to be autonomous-regionalism or a seperate Yoruba country

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 14, 2018
letusbepieces:
A TRIBAL LANGUAGE IS MEANT FOR MEMBERS OF THAT TRIBE.

IT ALLOWS DEM TO COMMUNICATE EXCLUSIVELY, EXCLUDING ALL OTHERS (NON MEMBERS).

YORUBA THINK BY FORCING US ALL TO LEARN THEIR LANGUAGE, WE WILL STOP BEING IJAW, IGBO, URHOBO, ITSEKIRI, IBIBIO EFIK, IGALA, IDOMA.

ONE QUESTION, WE ARE ALL SPEAKING ENGLISH, DOES IT MAKE US ENGLISH.

YORUBA WILL LEARN IN A HARD WAY WEN FOREIGNERS START USING THEIR LANGUAGE AGAINST THEM.

IT WILL HAPPEN.

The most sensible statement here; my thoughts too. It will happen exactly as you said. Any non Yoruba desirous of tertiary education in Lagos will have to learn Yoruba. Nothing wrong with this at all. It is only appears like a victory for most bigots who hardly think long-term. The law is very good for full integration of the Nigerian population in Lagos. It will also grow to neighbouring states. But remote tribes in Nigeria will however continue to maintain their pure tradition tribal status.

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by gidgiddy: 4:51pm On Feb 14, 2018
historyworld031:
My Igbo friends, you guys are playing fast and lose with history.
First of all, please stop confusing Edo-state and Edo.
Edo-state is a land while Edo is a people.
So you can't "carve" anything into Edo.
The Edo are the citizens of the precolonial kingdom of Benin which had current Edo-state and Delta-state (Bendel) as subterritory.
Therefor Ika-Igbo are Edo, no land was carved into Edo state, know history well before talking.
Most people stupidly think that Benin Kingdom and Benin City are the same thing, but no, Benin City is only the capital of the kingdom.
Languages don't own land, kingdoms own lands.
The fact that my brother speaks Igbo doesn't make him anyless my brother.

Have a nice day.

Sorry bro but kigdoms do not own the land. If Kingdoms owned the land, the United Kingdom would still own half of the world including Nigeria. The indigenous people of the land own the land. The Igbanke people of Edo state are an Ika-Igbo people, and by extention, belong to the greater Igbo nation. While no doubt that the Igbsnke people were influenced by Bini and Edo tribes, they have still kept their Igbo identity. Im ab Igbo man from Anambra. I watch Ika-Tv all the time and I understand most of what they say in Ika-Igbo. Recently, there was a ceremony in Igbanke and the Igbanke people, true to their Igbo roots, started of by blessing the Kola-nut in Ika-Igbo after which everyone answered Ise! This can only happen amongst Igbos

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by CONFAMA: 4:53pm On Feb 14, 2018
Efewestern:

Very silly move by the state government.

I read a thread here were some lagosians were complaining about the current air pollution in the state, especially how dirty are being littered everywhere, due to the new policy of the state governor , instead of them to address this issue and other issues bothering the state the only thing they could think of is this law, what a pity.

Like we all know Lagos belongs to Yoruba, what's the essence of the law?, what are they trying to proof?.

For those using IMO and anambra law to justify this, how many non Indigene are in those state compared to lagos, infact Lagos is home to all hence laws such as this should not see the light of the day.

You cannot eat your cake and have it. Lagos is home for all.... bla bla bla.

When the Lagos special status bill was deliberated in the national assembly, your reps and political leaders led the coalition to shut it down.

Hence if their isn't any special status attached to Lagos, I don't know why they cannot implement the same law that has already in use in imo and anambra for years.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by deomelllo: 5:06pm On Feb 14, 2018
CONFAMA:

You cannot eat your cake and have it. Lagos is home for all.... bla bla bla.

When the Lagos special status bill was deliberated in the national assembly, your reps and political leaders led the coalition to shut it down.

Hence if their isn't any special status attached to Lagos, I don't know why they cannot implement the same law that has already in use in imo and anambra for years.

Same way they celebrate and jubilate at every negative news about Lagos, they were even jubilating when the special status bill was denied.

These are self loathing and aimless people with zero self worth and sense of belonging.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by deomelllo: 5:21pm On Feb 14, 2018
oodualover:
When you think ibo people- an ethnic that have been agitating for a seperate republic will support this law, you might just end up becoming stunned. Hausa people that have always resist any call for disintegrating this country are not even bothered about the effect- whether this might divide the country more, and probably split the country. No! Hausa people are not perturbed. But it is ibos, people that have been proponent of Nigeria balkanization that are dismayed by the bill.
This implies that ibos don't want Nigeria to split. They just pretend they do because they are confused and don't know where they stand or what they want. Hausa people are the ones that should oppose the bill the most.
Ibos have just shown us that they are the unity beggers. Yoruba people are already taking the neccessary steps to be autonomous-regionalism or a seperate Yoruba country

The one Nigeria we have today was created and championed by ibo people even before independence.

ZIK was the main proponent of one Nigeria and he went out of his way and against objections and reservations by Awo and other Nigerians to team up with the Hausa North to create Nigeria.

Aguiyi Ironsi, another ibo man abolished the regional system of government and regional autonomy with his called Unification Decree, Decree 34.

The one Nigeria, unified and unitary system these ignorant Igbos hate and dislike today was created by their forefathers, but in the usual ibo fashion, they don't see their own evil ways and how their forefathers created the same problems they love to blame other Nigerians for.

They even started the bloodletting and deadly coups in Nigeria.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Okoyeebos: 5:22pm On Feb 14, 2018
Honestly, Igbos don't wish Lagos State any good thing. Look at how they're lamenting cos of the preservation of language law. Meanwhile, Anambra passed a similar law sometime ago and we didn't have make noise about it.

Very soon, we'll require all Igbos seeking civil service posts to have Yoruba tribal marks before they get considered for employment.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Okoyeebos: 5:26pm On Feb 14, 2018
deomelllo:

Same way they celebrate and jubilate at every negative news about Lagos, they were even jubilating when the special status bill was denied.

These are self loathing and aimless people with zero self worth and sense of belonging.

The truth is that the evil they usually wish others usually falls on their heads.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by MADBUTTERFLY(m): 5:46pm On Feb 14, 2018
Amarabae:
The social media is bubbling over a new law passed by the Lagos State house of assembly that made it compulsory for anyone seeking admission into Lagos State University to have a credit or pass in Yoruba language and also for the teaching of Yoruba language in all primary and secondary schools.
Ndi Igbo ibem, what is wrong with the law?
Why the noise?
The yorubas have shown the country again that they are proud of their identity and Lagos belongs to them which I agree, Lagos is a Yoruba state, argue with your shadow.
This is a time for us to think, Igbos,
We should be promoting our own identity like language, music, arts, movies ,attire etc
We should be more Igbotic everytime,
It pains me to see some Igbo youths busy trying to be more Jewish than Igbo,
To them, being Jewish is better to them than being Igbo,
Odinani is fading away and some are sweating to promote Judaism whereas the Israeli government are maltreating African immigrants in their country.
We are promoting Judaism while allowing Igbo identity to be fading away.
What a shock!

It pains me to see some Igbo youths busy online arguing and fascinating about how the minorities (ijaws, itsekiris, ogonis etc) will join Biafra.
How will they respect Igbo nation when you have painted yourself as beggars before them,
You hate the word homogeneous Igbo nation, you are only interested in teaching your children how how Phillip effiong was ojukwu vice therefore the whole of South south is Biafra yet if I ask your kids who Flora nwamkpa or mbonu ojike is, they will not know because you didn't bother to teach them.
Instead of talking about Igbo land issue, you are busy arguing on why south south is not in map or geography.

Who did this to us .

I love my Igbo ethnic nation and I am proudly Igbotic by nature, we need to be more ethnocentric as Igbos, enough of being politically correct as Igbo.
Love yourself.
Be proud of your Igbo identity
Showcase it.
Drop the defeatist mentality.
I have sworn that my little baby boy will learn from me how to speak fluent Igbo from small age, not just Igbo but his fathers Anambra dialect.
Kudos to Lagos government.
Let the Igbo governors follow suit.
And finally, Lagos is Yoruba land no matter the amount of investment owned by non indigenes just like Enugu is Igbo land.
There is an Igbo adage that says "O biara ije nwe ula "
Keep your branch anywhere but move your headquarters to Igbo land.
Return your investment home,
Use your brain.
Igbo land is bigger than Rwanda ,Singapore and Israel in size yet these are countries,
Return your investment home.
The people you are buying their lands, paying taxes to and investing in their land don't appreciate nor like you.

Aku ruo uno, Biko o.
Igbo ga adi. Amii
Self preservation is the first law of Nature .
Ndewo

There is nothing wrong with the law but it may boomerang seriously on the Yorubas if they are not very careful .
If a pass or credit in yoruba is what it takes to access Lagos institutions, trust in the next 5-10 yrs more than 50% of igbo speaking yorubas will be occupying almost all the top positions in not only Lagos but other yoruba states.
The igbos are very good in learning languages in where they are domiciled for easier business transactions.
This recent law may end up being a great undoing to the Yorubas because from next year, igbos will be scoring distinctions in yoruba language and may end up being teachers of their own language.
To be forewarned is to be forearmed

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by ANOWEDGREAT: 5:46pm On Feb 14, 2018
Afam4eva:

Unfortunately, we found ourselves in the long side of history else we wouldn't leave our land in the first place to come to Lagos.

Exactly I don't even see anything so special about this Lagos I visited the place just a month ago everywhere was looking very filty and dirty.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by InfiniteLoopx: 5:57pm On Feb 14, 2018
bakynes:

You need to understand the way most Igbos reason. Since Lagos is now Cosmopolitan,they expect us to drop everything that has to do with its history, roots ,Culture,Tradition and Language just to make them happy.

Awolowo knows what he was saying when he said there is nothing like Nigerians in the real sense of it like we have English people,Scottish people because they are a people of one tongue and language. Everybody else seems to understand these and take caution when outside their region. But it seems only Igbos do not understand this narrative, they feel they should have equal right with you on your own land but you cannot have equal right on their own land.

it was even their kins man in the person of Ironsi that change the system of how we lived according to our regions. So they should take their complain to him in the grave.

whether they like it or not we will not erase our culture and language in Lagos because it is Cosmoplitan. Until Igbos realize that we are not one people but only agreed to live together in one big space called Nigeria with every ethnic nation to their boundaries the better for them.

Every Igbo should this post carefully. Expecially those stupid efulefus that wants to be more Nigerian than Nigeria. Read, learn and think back home.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by InfiniteLoopx: 6:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
letusbepieces:

Nwanne, they should keep off completely and go for their ewedu yoruba women. It will help Afonja protect their culture.

Ndiigbo should proscribe yoruba marrying from us, to help yoruba preserve their culture.

It is an act of kindness. The should leave our igbo sisters alone.

I am very serious about this and will lobby for such proscription from Ohanaeze and south east govs.

Lobby for Igbos to send their investment back home; send their numerious children to schools in the East, and Igbos areas S'South, then you'll be doing the Igbo nation a great service.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom: The Making Of An African Dubai / 2023: Low Turnout As Yoruba Summit Pushes For Tinubu Presidency / Buhari Decorates Benin Republic Officers (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.