Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,859 members, 7,872,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:32 AM

Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria (10870 Views)

The Problem With Healthcare In Nigeria / Man Killed In Rush For Free Healthcare In S.leone / Point-of-care Ultrasound & Medico-legal Aspects Of Healthcare Workshop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by oyinda3(f): 3:25am On Apr 23, 2010
Why do I think the guy could still be alive if Nigerian health care system was better!?
I mean i read in the news that the guy had a wound on his jaw and other injuries like that. why is he dead?
first place they took him to didn't even have equipments all the time wasted between transferring him to LUTH and even there i question the medical attention he received. I mean even presidents are flown out of the country for medical attention for a reason

well, may his youg soul RIP
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by Krayola(m): 8:43am On Apr 23, 2010
There is more than enough blame to go round. From possibly drinking and driving, to seat-belts, pre-crashed vehicles being sold to unsuspecting customers, to parking laws, to street lights, to first aid, to emergency response, to quality of care in hospitals, to friends letting possibly intoxicated friends operate a vehicle. I can go on and on. This is just tragic on so many levels.

We have lost a true gem, and no amount of finger pointing will bring him back.  angry cry
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by sjeezy8: 9:14am On Apr 23, 2010
alot of tings but it remains the health care probably wasnt good esp in the area where he crashed and was hospitalized.

he was alive for A WHOLE WEEKKKKK. If anything he could have come out of the coma with proper hospital care.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by bgees(m): 9:45am On Apr 23, 2010
Just for the fact that he lived for like 5 days after the car crash, I think he had a good chance of surviving if the hospital was at its best.

but this can't bring him back. If it could, I would write an essay of a million words on this thread.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by tayoast(m): 10:40am On Apr 23, 2010
there's no need blaming d system for DaGrin's death(even though its hard 2 take).
When it comes 2 death, NOTHING can change it.
Stella Obasanjo died how/where?
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by oyinda3(f): 6:48am On Apr 24, 2010
Krayola:

There is more than enough blame to go round. From possibly drinking and driving, to seat-belts, pre-crashed vehicles being sold to unsuspecting customers, to parking laws, to street lights, to first aid, to emergency response, to quality of care in hospitals, to friends letting possibly intoxicated friends operate a vehicle. I can go on and on. This is just tragic on so many levels.

We have lost a true gem, and no amount of finger pointing will bring him back.  angry cry

this is a best response.
yea. something must have made him run under a truck in d first place.

tayo_ast:

When it comes 2 death, NOTHING can change it.

hmmm i think sometimes it can be prevented. although yea when ur gone, ur gone. sad
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by ElRazur: 7:10am On Apr 24, 2010
@Krayola,

Using the little knowledge I was taught in forensic science, I swear one can point various fingers to a lot of issues, but ultimately the most fingers comes back to Da Grin. Below is one of the replies I posted on my facebook about his death:

", Also, as much as it may hurts if the reports of drink driving are true, that needs to be highlighted for people to see what it can do to people's life. Not only is he gone, but he is causing us all pain. I do not know him as a person, but I am hurt and imagine what his families, girlfriend, record label, friends etc will all be feeling?"

You also mentioned the car been may not be new, i.e have previous accident and then fixed and sold off. I really think it can go both ways, the air quality in Lagos is very bad and known to be Arid, hence when the internals of the car are exposed to elements of the weather, they appear to get rusty quickly and hence give that nasty brown colour that may perhaps suggest it is not brand new, just a thought.

The health care he received, with all due respect is very questionable. While as a result of the crash, he may look okay with minor bruises and what not, he may actually have massive internal injury. One example, that was sighted by Davidylan was "Aneurysm". This is something I was working on as of last week etc, so yeah it does make a bit of sense - Basically, it is a form of internal damage that the body tries to fix, but then the process of fixing end up blocking up a vital artery say in this case, the one leading to the brain thereby causing stroke or even death.

Alternatively, he may he internal bleeding that may not be obvious on the outside and this will eventually led to low blood pressure which will shut him down. These things are all internal stuff and he may look fine on the outside.

In this kind of case, I will be looking at a full body scan, monitoring his blood pressure, CTScan for cranial and possible neck injury. Giving the fact that he's been drinking [apparently] may require a kind of planned approach to what pain killer he is given - Alcohol and some pain killers can result in death etc. From the little I know of the case, these will be some of the sort of things I may be looking at.

Alternatively, just fly him out of the country. If it is good enough for our leaders, it is good enough for Da grin.

Personally, this incident just goes to show how some of the upcoming stars and established stars may perhaps not have the right approach to dealing with fame. Ideally, a sort of Life Insurance or Accident Insurance should be and option for some of these people to look at. Also, personal assistant and body guard may perhaps be one of the things these artist need to look at. From the way I see it, if DaGrin had life insurance, he may have been flown out for better treatment, better still, if he had a personal staff or body guard with him, he may not have been driving and who knows what would have happen?

What ever the case, Rest in peace my man. I just hope your death will be a positive lesson for those who are in this sort of industry and are prone to such risk.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by ElRazur: 7:12am On Apr 24, 2010
sjeezy8:

alot of tings but it remains the health care probably wasnt good esp in the area where he crashed and was hospitalized.

he was alive for A WHOLE WEEKKKKK. If anything he could have come out of the coma with proper hospital care.

People can be in coma for more than a week, it do not necessarily mean it equates to survival. Having said that, I am one of the few people that will question the level of care he received. smiley
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by Choco5: 5:34pm On Apr 24, 2010
u busy pointing fingers,
mariam babangida and stella obasanjo died in usa
yaradua was in saudi arabia for months and is still on his sick bed
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by funkybaby(f): 5:50pm On Apr 24, 2010
@coco5

Well said !!!!
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by ElRazur: 5:55pm On Apr 24, 2010
Choco5:

u busy pointing fingers,
mariam babangida and stella obasanjo died in usa
yaradua was in saudi arabia for months and is still on his sick bed

Yes I am. I am mourning and as such I am seeing things that should have been done differently.

All the cases you highlighted are people who have complications and are old. On the other hand, Da Grin appears healthy and no known medical condition. Also, it may be worth noting that IF he's been flown out, he stands a better chance.

Gosh.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by nazeow: 8:27pm On Apr 24, 2010
Am sure the Doctors at the Hospital tried their best but to no avail.Let stop pointing fingers now and pray for DAGRIN and also his family who are crying their eyes out for the great loss which is inconsolable.GOVERNOR FASHOLA SHOULD MOUNT A CAMPAIGN AGAINST DRINK DRIVING IN LAGOS STATE and other artist should stop glorifying drinking alcohol in their musical videos and debasing our young ladies as sex objects. [center][/center]
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by GODSON2009(m): 8:50pm On Apr 24, 2010
please whom ever the moderator on here is will you stop behaving like a 5 yr old??
i posted a comment twice and it was with held for whatever reason,i did not curse neither did i abuse the guy or anyone concerned i have looked through the comments on here and i have seen similar comments to mine yet they v been allowed,if it gives you some warped and morbid pleasure playing a tin god with whatever icon on your computer you have een given to remoe comments at will, then remove this comments as well. but it jus shows your level of reasoning and your thouht process RUBBISH!!!
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by pheonixChi(f): 8:57pm On Apr 24, 2010
oyinda.:

Why do I think the guy could still be alive if Nigerian health care system was better!?
I mean i read in the news that the guy had a wound on his jaw and other injuries like that. why is he dead?

A small wound to the jaw is not indicative of a minor injury it is quite possible he suffered major trauma internally.

Yes you right the health care need an over haul. I wishe he had been taken to a private hospital. What the ppl back home should do is stop accepting the poor public services left to further decay by the government. These politicians send their loved ones abroad to get just a tooth extracted at the drop of a hat. And then you will hear ppl on this very same forum bigging up all those looters IBB, Abacha,etc . Marvelling at their multi million weddings for their children,Goshing at what their wives are wearing . Pls Nigerians will always get what they allow to happen. Rest in peace son.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by ruz(m): 10:04am On Apr 25, 2010
Trading blames, pointing fingers, yea we are all bitter but read the family message, the doctors worked tirelessly day and night, his time was just up, all we need do now is to celebrate his legacy and live his dream. RIP our "Upcoming Best Rapper", you sure was headed for the very top.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by baybbootz(f): 12:27am On Apr 26, 2010
Why do I seem to be the only person who does not understand how he died and what caused the accident??
Am so lost,I wouldnt mind some precise explanation.
undecided undecided
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:49am On Apr 26, 2010
It's worthy of note that despite the fact that Stella, Mariam, and a host of others all lost the battle to death even in world-class hospitals, their's wasn't an accidental emergency as in DaGrin's case. A teaching hospital as LUTH claimed they are should have been functioning optimally so as to salvage the guy's life. Rather they will be screaming to the government for better welfare packages. Another lesson to learn, don't drink and drive unless it is 7up or Sprite. RIP Grin. O Di Gba!
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by nearest(m): 9:20am On Apr 26, 2010
Why was he not flown abroad? Sometimes we put ourselves at difficult situations by our own actions, living a care free life does have its after effects, and death is one of it, another is pain for those who love, care and depend on us.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by redsun(m): 9:28am On Apr 26, 2010
The average life-span in nigeria is 45years due acute maladmistration.People shouldn't be surprise when people die in nigeria,it is such a crazy society that staying alive is a stroke of luck,a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

Nothing whatsoever is in place to keep a common man alive in nigeria,ordinary mosquito can take the life of an able bodied adult in nigeria with a snap and mosquitos are every where,unchecked,uncontrolled and untamed because they seems to be smarter than humans.

The only time we can lay claims to longevity is when we start doing our home work right by creating a descent and habitable society for human habitation.

At least he made an impact before he went.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by ashaby(f): 9:42am On Apr 26, 2010
@OP
I believe it's a trifle too late to start finger-pointing or apportioning blames. Let's just hope that his death will bring other youth to their consciousness that not every good thing last forever. So painful to loose a budding but promising musician at this time. Never knew his death could affect me this much. Adieu Dagrin!!!
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by 55(m): 9:55am On Apr 26, 2010
I wonder how sum1 will reason he came out of dat car wreck wit just a jaw injury.
D pic says it all.
I dont like pyschologisin ppl so i'll stop short of sayin he was drunk cus there's no proof yet. Although it seems obvious.
Wat's annoyin is d contrast b/w my boy's ride and his hospital bed. No matter how high we think our living standards are, for now if we lack d means to jand for medical attention, we are walking a tight rope!
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by proudly9ja(m): 10:08am On Apr 26, 2010
I dont know the intentions of the OP but I don't think its to point fingers.

In normal societies, when something like this happens, it is ok to take stock and review events and see if it could have been prevented. In tis case, I am sure we all agree it could have been prevented.

I will not comment on whether he was dunk or not because I do not know for a fact. However, my own grouse is with the emmergency system. Da Grin is gone but these things happen everyday on Naija roads. We have to overhaul our emmergency system.

What is the response time for aid to get to an accident victim?

How equipped with first aid equipments are the emmergency vehicles?

The first set of people who attend to an accident victim, are they well versed in first aid procedures?

These are the first set of issues that need to be addressed.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by bisiaet: 10:10am On Apr 26, 2010
I think the way this guy died is a kind of all round blame on so many things that are woefully wrong in Nigeria system, I strongly belief there was a serious error or may I call ir it ignorant or negligence along the line of the whole episode(The government, the hospital, the road, traffic rules, himself and so on) that leads to his death. It was so painful he went this way may God give him eternal rest.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:26am On Apr 26, 2010
@ Poster, What you said makes a lot of sense.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by Ak4ril(m): 10:49am On Apr 26, 2010
Krayola:

True talk, on the issue of the health care, it is rarher unfortunate that our General hospitals are this useless, most especially, the so-called teaching hospitals, this is how a former Northern Governor died about two weeks ago when he was rushed to a teaching hospital after he was attacked by some thugs, I am just short of words, Nigerian health care is not worth it at all.
But, I hope this will serve as a lesson to all of us, not only celebrities, to always take precaution against things like this.
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:58am On Apr 26, 2010
If we are to blame anyone outside of this tragedy, simply blame it on **bad government** (bad health care system, bad roads/no streetlights) and even the state of security of the country. . . The other time it was BAYO, a journalist in one of our dailies, we blame that on bad health care as well.
Many Nigerians have lost their lives to silly but sane excuses by our hospitals and medical practitioners. . . sad sad
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by jaguar09(m): 11:05am On Apr 26, 2010
It's painful DaGrin is gone, i symphatize with his family. i have read lots of comments on this thread emphazing on why he was not flown abroad for medical treatment, what annoys me in this country is that thing that are wrong are not talked about until a public figure becomes a victim of it. think of the majority of Nigerian who can not even afford access to Nigerian health care who loss their loved ones while begging the hospital mgt a attend to their sick ones? it happen everywhere, recently the senate passed a bill that gun shot injury be treated without poilice report, this happened because of the death of a journalist who was shot by armed robber in this house. there again we have journalist in this country who scrample for stuff to report when there are lots of things to report about which are wrong in this country.  for example LASTMA official asking you for driving license, and car particulars when they should be controlling traffic. it's madness. this is just one of many.

R.I.P DaGrin ---- The society you find yourself dont care
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by milkan05(m): 11:13am On Apr 26, 2010
one of d interns at luth told me that he fractured his skull. .  and even as at the time of arrival, his chances of survival was very slim. cry
Re: Dagrin And The State Of Healthcare In Nigeria by mattfeuter(m): 11:15am On Apr 26, 2010
oyinda.:

first place they took him to didn't even have equipments   all the time wasted between transferring him to LUTH and even there i question the medical attention he received. I mean even presidents are flown out of the country for medical attention for a reason

First of all, i would blame d Stupid fellow dey call his Manager, sometimes last year when Wande Coal had an accident, Don jazzy flew him out of Naija d next Day, In as much as i know that Death is inevitable and what will be will be,I still feel there wasnt enough equipments in that Hospital to sustain him, all in all, R.I.P Da Grinnnnnnnnnnnnn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ovarian Cyst / Kidney Donor Wanted Urgently / Can Semen Cause Pregnancy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.