Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,154 members, 7,890,893 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:23 PM

Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! (7777 Views)

Custom Officers And Registered Vehicles / Why Don't Custom Officers Seize Cars Without Papers At The Dealer Stand / Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Onwan: 5:45pm On Apr 27, 2010
George_D:

baconline,

if you compare the cost of clearing through lagos and the hassles you go through driving your car in the bush, you'll see that it's just not worth it.

Ive been to Kotonou three times to buy vehicles and slept in Igholo on one of the occassions. There are two routes in bringing in a vehicle; the night haul (which is what you call driving through the "bush"wink AND the other which you simply drive through the border officially with clearance from the immigration/customs people there. I have had to sit in the car all three times and we drove into Nigeria day time.

The point is that its normal to drive through the bush; its some dealers that refuse to go through the right means in bringing the car into the country - Same way some crooked agents can get a car out of the warf for you and it will still be impounded by the customs (I know that for a fact)
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 6:43pm On Apr 27, 2010
I don't think it is viaable clearing a car thru the host country's custom(Lome or Benin) then coming to Seme and paying for our duties too.
E.g I buy a car of 2m CFA pay 350kCFA to clear the car thru the host countries custom then come to THE CURRUPT LANDs border and clear thru custom with another 200k naira.
Anybody in the house that could shead more light on the custom tarrif at our borders,is it the same as when coming thru our ports,
Onwan give me yur number so I can call u for details
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by KunleA2(m): 6:51pm On Apr 27, 2010
its very simple. Any car coming from Cotonou (or Seme) has to be smuggled in to be affordable or profitable for the importer and the buyer. Otherwise, there is no point of paying customs in Cotonou and pay in Nigeria again. Thats double wahala.

So the notion of Cotonou cars with "correct customs paper" is pointless. You might as well just buy a legitimate car and get it in form Lagos and be over with.

For those looking for a 1996 Camry with correct custom paper: i got news for you:

[size=14pt]It doesn't exist!!!![/size]
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 7:22pm On Apr 27, 2010
kunle-a,

you just hit the nail on the head.

better to import a less than 10yr old car through lagos port and clear it normally (and cheaply too) than risk bringing an old, outdated car through the bush from cotonou and risk it being impounded by one pot-bellied
customs officer who will later dash it out to one of his numerous girlfriends! grin
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Onwan: 7:34pm On Apr 27, 2010
Thats not true.

Ask perfectbuyer - he advertises cars from Kotonou and he specifies clearing costs. Thats not smuggling.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by stede(m): 9:23pm On Apr 27, 2010
oyinsbank:

Its a shame that custom officers are doing rubbish on the highway and punishing people unnecessarily, where dem dey when the cars passed thru the border, if they mean business why cant they impound it right there, but all na corruption, some of their official will collect settlement and let the car pass, the owner is on his own if he encounters any other custom checkpoint. i think its more reasonable to leave their checkpoint only to the borders. its their failure that such cars ever pass thru the border in the first place , so they should not be harrassing people on the highway.

And even when you have the correct papers and the car came in through lagos port, they still find way to extort you.
i was once told that the duty paid on my car is too small, that they will impound the car if i dont drop something.Can you imagine !!!!!.

Useless animals.
you are right
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by alanbolo(m): 10:11pm On Apr 27, 2010
Kunle-A:

,   For those looking for a 1996 Camry with correct custom paper: i got news for you:

[size=14pt]It doesn't exist!!!![/size]

[size=16pt]IT DOES EXIST[/size].  Just sold one that came in tru lagos port last November and another one tru same port in march,     I did load it myself and cleared by my able agent.   it depends ON how far u can see, my brother.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 10:16pm On Apr 27, 2010
Onwan:

Thats not true.

Ask perfectbuyer - he advertises cars from Kotonou and he specifies clearing costs. Thats not smuggling.
@Onwan
The cost of clearing that perfectbuyer indicated is the clearing in Kotonou at the park AND NOT NIGERIAN CUSTOMS,beware cos those cars will land at your door step with no paper
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 10:20pm On Apr 27, 2010
this can only happen in a containerized shipping,and the over aged cars must be 1 or 2 max among d 4
alanbolo:

[size=16pt]IT DOES EXIST[/size]. Just sold one that came in tru lagos port last November and another one tru same port in march, I did load it myself and cleared by my able agent. it depends ON how far u can see, my brother.
in the container,try more and that container will have issues when it land
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by chelseabmw(m): 10:43pm On Apr 27, 2010
they are useless
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Onwan: 12:15am On Apr 28, 2010
baconline:

@Onwan
The cost of clearing that perfectbuyer indicated is the clearing in Kotonou at the park AND NOT NIGERIAN CUSTOMS,beware cos those cars will land at your door step with no paper
I have bought cars from Kotonou and all I do is to give the receipt from the dealer to the official that handle my vehicle documents (including tinted permits) and its taken care of within a week with the Autoreg and all.

I cant even argue with anyone about this because its what I know and have. Also I met a customs team on one of my trips to Ibadan and he explained to me that lots of people arrange customs papers even for cars coming in through Lagos ports without it being registered with them and that they do sieze such vehicles.

So my advise again is that once a car is in Nigeria - even if its a 1935 model, let the right officials take of these things for you - and IF thats not good enough for you, then its your business. This is Nigeria, its a very practical country and these things work the way they do.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by lite5(m): 3:21am On Apr 28, 2010
@Fhemmmy Do you have any container going to Lagos, NGR anytime soon?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 5:09am On Apr 28, 2010
lite5:

@Fhemmmy Do you have any container going to Lagos, NGR anytime soon?

To Lagos from Canada, there is always a container.
Just tell us what you want.
Show us the money and give us few weeks, you will be painting town red with your ride.
We have able shipping agents
And God has blessed us with reliable clearing dudes, so tell us more at Femmmy.moto@gmail.com
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by fuke(m): 5:50am On Apr 28, 2010
Unfortunate,guys have turned this serious matter to advertising.

The house says the customs should limit their operations to the boarder.
That is the law, whether good or bad. The pests should get off the road.

Dealers should  petition the house to punish the pot bellied rogue in Kogi.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 8:10am On Apr 28, 2010
I totally agree,SO WHO WILL BELL D CAT!!!!!!!!!!! cool
fuke:

Unfortunate,guys have turned this serious matter to advertising.

The house says the customs should limit their operations to the boarder.
That is the law, whether good or bad. The pests should get off the road.

Dealers should petition the house to punish the pot bellied rogue in Kogi.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 28, 2010
Thanks to everybody, this is dammy,i clear cars from cotonou to nigeria with original customs papers.
this year,i have cleared more than 50 cars that has original duties from cotonou to abuja,jos,asaba even lagos without plate numbers no body has ever collect any of ur cars even police officers.all they do is just to collect the photo copy of the paper and ask u to go.any custom from any zone.if any officer try to arras u,u can even take them to court and charge them for illegal arrest

And cars that can not be paid duties for also pass express from border to anywhere. the more u kno ur way. so people that pass through bush are still stupid. take a look at my picture.

Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 28, 2010
This is my number if u want to ask more quest, 08038379715,08054446144.just cal dammy or wasiu
Even this car was cleared by me for obesere that porpular musician.take a look at the picture.

Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 10:23am On Apr 28, 2010
@dammiedex,
your advertising yourself now? grin
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Emperoh(m): 10:50am On Apr 28, 2010
Hmmmmm!!!! I shoulda been here earlier on!!!

First of all, Mr. Dammidex, we are not advertising here, we are looking for a viable solution to the very many issues bedeviling our business
in the guise of regulatory and security officials.

As far as i know, I DON'T DO COTONOU cars if it is going out of Lagos for use, that is, if the owner is living outside Lagos.
Custom wahala is not for me. Cos as far as i know, if u encounter custom issues, u go know say Police na your friend true true!! shocked shocked shocked

Until someone clarifies to me how custom clearing is done at both benin republic end and Nigeria end of the border, i won't venture to buy
a car for an outside Lagos client. . . . . its as simple as that.

Now, my main wahala is this, how do u get over these guy even when u paid the proper duty at the Lagos wharfs.
E.g. I pre-order and deliver my cars personally when i have the time. i use the opportunity to visit home in the east.
My last trip was in January with a Nissan Murano for a client. . . . . i met 3 custom's check points at Ogbere, Okada and Benin toll gate.
Each point took 2k from me. . . . . .Reason? I did not pay the correct Custom Duty.

I called my agent to find out what was happening, but he didn't seem to be able to give me a reason for my wahala.
On the duty card, the total duty paid was about 160k with VAT making it about 190k. . . . . . .i still couldn't find a reason why this was happening!

Clearing agents and dudes, someone should pls lecture us on how to calculate correct Custom's duty and how to get over these leeches
on our highway, mind you, these guys are very mean and pay little or rather do not even recognise Military or Police officers

So how do we get over this!!!!!??
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by KunleA2(m): 11:02am On Apr 28, 2010
@ Emperoh,

To the best of my understanding, a Murano should cost about 250k-300k to clear  undecided

That's just my opinion. Even a 2001 Camry is around 220k-250k to clear.

I think you are lucky.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by soldee: 11:21am On Apr 28, 2010
@ Emperoh

Cost of clearing a car at Lagos port is 250k plus CTN of 50k, so lets just say 300k. DONT bother with agents who promise to do it cheaper, it'll come back to bite you in the a.s.s!!
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Emperoh(m): 1:41pm On Apr 28, 2010
Kunle et Soldee

I didn't say i paid 190k to clear the Murano.
hell no!!! I do be shooting myself in the foot. Moreover, everything u pay for the clearing do not go to the Customs
U have to pay terminal charges, NPA port handling charges and the rest.

By 190k, i mean the customs valuation of duty on the car and the Value Added tax ONLY.
Not the total amount i paid. Total amount i paid was 350k. Na from this 350k the Agent go from chop his 'workers wage'.
So don't get me wrong. I didn't pay 190k in total to clear an SUV.

I do be a dunce with what i already to fall for such!!
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 1:50pm On Apr 28, 2010
Any custom officer on this forum to educate us?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 3:02pm On Apr 28, 2010
baconline:

Any custom officer on this forum to educate us?

With all the yabbing of the customs, you think anyone will be honest enuf to call himself one?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 4:07pm On Apr 28, 2010
@ Onwan
No offence,but I don't believe your story of clearing your cars with original custom papers,your ads show u allocation some money for custom clearing which I presume to be clearing in the Host country's custom. Please give total breakdown from cost of buying to leaving the park,to landing to lagos,and clearing thru Nigerian custom of the last two cars you did b
Onwan:

I have bought cars from Kotonou and all I do is to give the receipt from the dealer to the official that handle my vehicle documents (including tinted permits) and its taken care of within a week with the Autoreg and all.

I cant even argue with anyone about this because its what I know and have. Also I met a customs team on one of my trips to Ibadan and he explained to me that lots of people arrange customs papers even for cars coming in through Lagos ports without it being registered with them and that they do sieze such vehicles.

So my advise again is that once a car is in Nigeria - even if its a 1935 model, let the right officials take of these things for you - and IF thats not good enough for you, then its your business. This is Nigeria, its a very practical country and these things work the way they do.
usiness on.Once again no offence,just tryn to clear some issues in my mind
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by RossP: 4:41pm On Apr 28, 2010
kunle-A, , How much will it cost to clear a 2007 Accord (Lagos port)
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by KunleA2(m): 4:43pm On Apr 28, 2010
about 300k or so. talk to adexfem on this forum. he's a good guy
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Onwan: 4:49pm On Apr 28, 2010
baconline:

@ Onwan
No offence,but I don't believe your story of clearing your cars with original custom papers,your ads show u allocation some money for custom clearing which I presume to be clearing in the Host country's custom. Please give total breakdown from cost of buying to leaving the park,to landing to lagos,and clearing thru Nigerian custom of the last two cars you did business on.Once again no offence,just tryn to clear some issues in my mind

Im not a car dealer.

You can see the advert by Dammiedex up there. Its an agent like himself I go with to get my ride IF Im buying from Kotonou.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 5:01pm On Apr 28, 2010
@ Onwan
My apologies,mixed up your name with Dammiedex
@Dammiedex
No offence,but I don't believe your story of clearing your cars with original custom papers,your ads show u allocation some money for custom clearing which I presume to be clearing in the Host country's custom. Please give total breakdown from cost of buying to leaving the park,to landing to lagos,and clearing thru Nigerian custom of the last two cars you did business on.Once again no offence,just tryn to clear some issues in my mind
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 5:48pm On Apr 28, 2010
this is the point where we need our customs officer friends to step in and explain more to us.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Onwan: 7:33pm On Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, once he is done at the Isi-Ewu joint on Toyin Str (After a hard, extortive day's job). cheesy
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 28, 2010
Onwan:

Yeah, once he is done at the Isi-Ewu joint on Toyin [/b]Str (After a hard, [b]extortive day's job). cheesy
SSee as I get my own street, and dem say I no be olokiki

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

......how To Read Out Manufacture Date Of Your Engine Oil.... / Own A Nissan Pathfinder/xterra 05-11? Look Here Or Risk Transmission Failure / FRSC Advocates Use Of Bicycles As Alternative Means Of Transport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.