Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,153 members, 7,890,890 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:15 PM

Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! (7776 Views)

Custom Officers And Registered Vehicles / Why Don't Custom Officers Seize Cars Without Papers At The Dealer Stand / Custom Officers Still Extorting Motorist Along Lagos- Ibadan Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by alanbolo(m): 9:53pm On Apr 28, 2010
@ baconline, U're definitely right, max. underage is not more than 2, at the end of the day, am tired of the whole issue, I don't like begging for my biz. It's not worth it. Unless as a favor to a junior one back home. Better deal with exotic and latest models with good ROI than patch-patch 4 those underages. 10 wheeler trucks clearing seem standard across d board.

It will be better if any Custom Officer in d house who can enlighten us.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by baconline(m): 7:32am On Apr 29, 2010
If no customs in the house,what of a clearing agent?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by CHANCEMAN: 7:20pm On Apr 29, 2010
alanbolo:

[size=16pt]IT DOES EXIST[/size]. Just sold one that came in tru lagos port last November and another one tru same port in march, I did load it myself and cleared by my able agent. it depends ON how far u can see, my brother.

The only way you could have cleared such cars in lagos was that they came in containerised so there was no pysical inspection or them turn blind eye.Those cars are already contraband so they cannot have legit papers.Most likely the documents used to clear them where doctored.
As per the duty payable on a car it is fixed periodically,although i do not know the current rate but i believe it is not less than 10% of the value of the car.Now if you bring in a car worth say 5million naira the proper duty payable on that car cannot be less than 500k but clearing agents and customs officials underinvoice the cars and quote lower values for the cars when paying duty so that what is actually paid drops.That is what the guys at the check point mean when they tell you that the duty you paid was too small becos they can estimate the value of the car in the market and then compare with what is on your papers.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Fhemmmy: 7:49pm On Apr 29, 2010
It just beats me that there is no website on Nigerian govt services that you could go and get information and cost of services.
You always have to guess or be at the mercy of some other people.

1 Like

Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by ikeyman00(m): 10:20pm On Apr 29, 2010
If no customs in the house,what of a clearing agent?

they are hiding!!
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 9:46am On Apr 30, 2010
chanceman,
that was a good point.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Emperoh(m): 10:54am On Apr 30, 2010
George_D:

chanceman,
that was a good point.

I was going to think so but wait a minute. . . . .do u evaluate a car based on the price at the car seller's lot
Ot the cost of Purchase in Europe or America?

me thinks its the later cos when u see their valuation, its in dollars. . . .they then give u the prevailing govt exchange rate
in order to arrive at a naira duty to be paid!!!

Some people are just being fraudulent and exploiting the loop holes in the law to extort money from nigerians!!!
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 11:31am On Apr 30, 2010
emperoh,
we all know that for a fact and i guess the customs do too but of course they choose to turn a blind eye
simply because its convienient for them.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by CHANCEMAN: 2:29pm On Apr 30, 2010
Emperoh:

I was going to think so but wait a minute. . . . .do u evaluate a car based on the price at the car seller's lot
Ot the cost of Purchase in Europe or America?

me thinks its the later cos when u see their valuation, its in dollars. . . .they then give u the prevailing govt exchange rate
in order to arrive at a naira duty to be paid!!!

Some people are just being fraudulent and exploiting the loop holes in the law to extort money from nigerians!!!

i think the law is vague on what criteria to use and becos our Custom people do not want to be proffessional in carrying out their duties, used cars cannot be valued at cost price as if they were new,in practice there are standards used such as those used bt pre shipment inspection agencies
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by sley4life(m): 4:16pm On Apr 30, 2010
kogi is a dangerous state
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by okhai(m): 4:22pm On Apr 30, 2010
Dear all,

Please find attached the import duty rates as downloaded from the the Nigeria Custom  Service websites for all classes of vehicles whether heavy or light, brand new or toks or CKD or accessories. The summary of it all is that the rates ranges from 5% to 35% of the value of the vehicle depending on the nature and disposition of the vehicle. Only those vehicles or carriages meant for people with disability are exempted from paying duties.
With this in mind we should be able to project the rate and value of duty to be paid to the custom authority. In most cases so many Nigerians are not aware of this fixed prices hence the exploitation when the issue of payment come to the fore. To be forewarned is to be forearmed
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by german007(m): 4:36pm On Apr 30, 2010
okhai:

Dear all,

Please find attached the import duty rates as downloaded from the the Nigeria Custom Service websites for all classes of vehicles whether heavy or light, brand new or toks or CKD or accessories. The summary of it all is that the rates ranges from 5% to 35% of the value of the vehicle depending on the nature and disposition of the vehicle. Only those vehicles or carriages meant for people with disability are exempted from paying duties.
With this in mind we should be able to project the rate and value of duty to be paid to the custom authority. In most cases so many Nigerians are not aware of this fixed prices hence the exploitation when the issue of payment come to the fore. To be forewarned is to be forearmed

Chief Okhai,

Been seeing your post for a while, and I find it rather interesting to know that you'v got the same first name as me, lol.

It's not a name I come across often, so it thrills me when I meet a namesake, I'v probably only ever met/heard of about 4 in my life time.

Is Okhai really your name or a pseudonym. cool

Poster, Sorry to derail your thread. wink wink

Thanks.
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by okhai(m): 5:18pm On Apr 30, 2010
Thanks. It actually forms the last part of my native name which is very long and very difficult to pronounce by those who are not from the heart beat axis of the country. It is really Eremionkhale

Regards

Chief Okhai,

Been seeing your post for a while, and I find it rather interesting to know that you'v got the same first name as me, lol.

It's not a name I come accross often, so it thrills me when I meet a namesake, I'v probably only ever met/heard of about 4 in my life time.

Is Okhai really your name or a pseudonym. cool

Poster, Sorry to derail your thread. wink wink[/color][/b][/i]

Thanks.[/b][/i][/color]
[quote][/quote]
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 2:20pm On May 01, 2010
okhai,
looks like your a customs officer? wink
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by ikeyman00(m): 9:02pm On May 01, 2010
yessssssssssss
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Robotica: 11:35pm On May 01, 2010
George_D:

okhai,
looks like your a customs officer? wink

Was thinking the same.  grin

Oga Okhai, We are suspecting you. Can you identify yourself. lol

Are you one of the potbellied custom officers that impound car make life harder for these dealers?  grin
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by Nobody: 1:07am On May 02, 2010
This harassing/seizing/impounding of vehicles by customs officials, does it happen before the car is registered, or after (when the buyer starts using it)? Does this now mean the buyer will be required to carry the car's import papers around?
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by GeorgeD1(m): 2:26pm On May 03, 2010
gridlock,
it can happen at any time regardless whether the vehicle is registered or not.
some dealers will even tell you not to travel with the car outside lagos because
it doesn't have valid customs papers!
Re: Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles! by alldruns1: 7:57am On Jan 29, 2011
just stumbled into dis interestin old thread. Like sb needs d info.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help, My Volkswagen Touareg Is Acting Funny / ......how To Read Out Manufacture Date Of Your Engine Oil.... / Own A Nissan Pathfinder/xterra 05-11? Look Here Or Risk Transmission Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.