Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,785 members, 7,882,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:24 PM

Nokia 'First Chance' Show - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nokia 'First Chance' Show (10227 Views)

Fresh Video : Timaya Ft Sarkodie - One Chance (dance Video) / Are You A Tight Rapper? Here's A Chance To Get Known. / Justin Of Nokia First Chance Releases Single And Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Florian: 9:24pm On Jul 26, 2007
Just read the string of comments on Justina's financial situation.

As I know her quite well, I think I should help to clarify this:
Justina does not live in Switzerland, she only went there last year for several weeks of shows in a music club in Zurich. The flight ticket was paid for - if she had had to pay for that herself, she couldn't have gone. She does come from a poor family and certainly did not have the money to go to university. With the money she earned in Switzerland she helped her younger sister and brother to pay school fees and her mom to rent a place for the family who previously had stayed in very unfomfortable circumstances.

I have been following Idols and I can see some parallels between Justina's and Jerrylyn's story but I don't think Justina ever used her story or background to draw sentiments and get votes.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by sein4soul(f): 9:41pm On Jul 26, 2007
@suze
I fully agree with you, nobody should vote for Justina only because of her financial situation.
What I was trying to say is that I would be sad if Christine wins simply because she has wealthier parents who do what Temitayo's parents seem to have done successfully for a while in order to keep their daughter in Idols.

the other thing I want to add is that I think that Justina's life story is inspiring and makes her a great role model for young Nigerians who are struggling like she has. Looking at what she has achieved coming from this background, I think that she can give hope to other young people in a similar situation. And to me, that is an important element and makes Justina a great voice to represent Nigeria - both to ourselves and abroad.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Dimeji78: 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2007
dongee:

i don't know what christine is doing there is is a better song writer. if there's a competition for song writing i think she should compete for that. but justina is a natural. so lets give it to her.

Dongee - I agree with you. If this was a songwriting competition, Christine would probably be the winner.

But let's face it, neither Justina nor Christine will write their own songs, at least initially.
Just check out who is behind DaWorks, the record label that will sign them (www.daworks.no) - three partners all of who are songwriters. My sense is that what they are really looking for somebody to bring their own songs to life. Thus, at least initially, it won't really matter who is the better songwriter - what really matters is the ability to perform - and in this respect the choice can only be Justina.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by suze(f): 11:03am On Jul 27, 2007
I guess Justina will win.Its good as they are writing songs for them initially.At least she can have time to work on her song writing skills.

@ florian.But plsssss. Don't tell me she cant afford university education in Nigeria.School fees in Unilag is just about 6,000 per semester.And about books? How many people actually buy text books, most people just make photocopies. Except she's planning to study a course like engineering or medicine.he can study music or creative arts if she's interested.

I guess maybe she has other priorities and she's not chanced not that she cant afford it or get someone to assist her in paying 6000/semester.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by IsisNaira: 9:07am On Jul 28, 2007
I am confused - when does the show end, this week or next? What's happening right now?

Really hope that Justina wins this show!!! Almost all my friends and me have voted for her!
Can't wait for her album to come out - if she has good songwriters, she can make it big and all of us very proud!
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Saruni: 10:39pm On Jul 28, 2007
Isis-Naira:

Really hope that Justina wins this show!!!  ,   if she has good songwriters, she can make it big and all of us very proud!

Isis - I agree with you, I think that Justina has great potential to make it on the international stage.
I was in Switzerland as an exchange student last year and saw one of her shows (Florian, I think I may have seen you with her then). She really got people excited and one of the main Swiss newspapers ran an article about her in which they compared her to the young Miriam Makeba. They were predicting that she is going to be the next big music "export" from Africa.

I also really hope she makes it and wins the show.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by suze(f): 11:00am On Jul 30, 2007
Christina and Justina were interviewed on entertainment weekly with Isis on STV. When they asked Justina if Christine was threat to her, she said no,that she cant be a threat to her winning the competition. I

In my opinion, she shouldn't have said no.Yes, Its good to be confident of yourself. But not over-confident.Its always pays to be humble. Both of them are in the finals and christine also has a chance.Because anything can happen. See how jodi was booted out of Idols competition. Yet she was un-arguably good.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Papa(m): 1:05pm On Jul 30, 2007
Who else apart from Christine and Justina are left on the show?

I'm also not in Nigeria @ the moment.

When does the show end?
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by A40(m): 3:48pm On Jul 30, 2007
That show is boring
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Gamine(f): 6:51pm On Jul 30, 2007
Its boring.

but i hope the gurl with dreads wins!
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Sharn06: 8:04pm On Jul 30, 2007
what's the fuzz bout?
can't watch NFC but I feel Justina's buff
y'all bite d dust

lakeside sorry bout Kiba. There's always a next tym
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Papa(m): 1:14am On Aug 01, 2007
Who else apart from Christine and Justina are left on the show?

I'm also not in Nigeria @ the moment.

When does the show end?
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by suze(f): 10:06am On Aug 01, 2007
@Papa Yes, it's only christine and justina that are left.The finals is holding today.But will be aired on T.V on saturday.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Papa(m): 11:01am On Aug 01, 2007
Justina's out!!!!!

Christine won!!!

, alright I'm only being prophetic, Christine and I had something going while we were at high school until I left, but we still keep in touch 'cos we're friends anyway.

Well, I really hope she wins! That would be a lot to her, 'cos I know her, she works, and has worked hard in her life.
She deserves to win.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by suze(f): 11:18am On Aug 01, 2007
@ Papa. You said christine works? I thought she was in school.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Papa(m): 10:49pm On Aug 01, 2007
Yes she works, but I mean on her music
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by suze(f): 9:43am On Aug 03, 2007
Papa:

Yes she works, but I mean on her music

O.k, I thought you meant she was working to support herself and family like justine.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by wifeypenth(f): 5:56pm On Aug 03, 2007
The finals was a flop, yesterday most of the artist present at sigma were all pissed. Nokia backed out after christine was announced the winner. It was a whole flop.they cheated and are still beging justina to sign some documents. Justina is the real winner. Whateva the case may be
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by suze(f): 11:22pm On Aug 04, 2007
wifeypenth:

The finals was a flop, yesterday most of the artist present at sigma were all pissed. Nokia backed out after christine was announced the winner. It was a whole flop.they cheated and are still beging justina to sign some documents. Justina is the real winner. Whateva the case may be
swete

How do you know nokia backed out.Did they say so?
How do you know they cheated,did they announce the votes.
I thot they said they were going to choose the winner based on(1)votes, (2)the choice of the rcord company based on how they liked their songs.

I dont know how they combined these 2 criteria for choosing the winners,but if justina won based on votes from the audience, maybe the record company felt christines songs sounded sweeter.

I dont know! What do you think?

Why were they begging justine ? is it by force?
And y didnt she want to sign? whao! this is just funny. What do u think?
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by denex: 4:54pm On Aug 05, 2007
Well, I have hardly watched the show but I know it's okay. Hey, someone tell Lanre Tyson that NEX said what's up, can we go back to shooting real videos now?!

The last show wasn't so good. And what was Dudu Tetsola doing? And why was that presenter calling him Lemar?

We have to be very careful and focussed next time around.

This didn't go perfectly.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Papa(m): 2:21am On Aug 06, 2007
Papa:

Justina's out!!!!!

Christine won!!!
. . . alright I'm only being prophetic. . .She deserves to win.

I thought you guys got it at that stage that the key word was PROPHETIC
Look out for next time, I could be prophesying about you.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 06, 2007
i dont understand

wasn't DUDU tetsola = LEMAR
cos if not why did they keep saying that

its possible that the votes went in christine's favor whilst the record co and nokia wanted justine

whichever way if they both got contracts then its all good

Florian, you shud be proud
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Configur(m): 1:23pm On Aug 06, 2007
bleeped up show.

yinka davies is always bitchy,wetin she sabi sing sef.if she's good she for don collect al least KORA.olodo buruku.mumu
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Configur(m): 1:24pm On Aug 06, 2007
really boring too.interestin at the initial stage but sucks now.arrghhh undecided
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by dongee(m): 6:51pm On Aug 06, 2007
i must say, i am highly dissapointed, really. its so obvious that there was foul play. if for anything their last perfomance was a testimony that justina is a better singer . like i said from the very beginning, christine has a talent for writing music and not singing. its only clear if u watched the owambe, show were they all performed highlife. an also the love songs they sang. the better singers were all evicted. i think the organisers knew that if she is made the winner they wont have to so spend much considering the following.
1. she is a british citizen, so it will be very easy getting her to the uk.
2. they wont have to pay a song writer because she will be able to write her own songs. but then she wont be versatile because all the songs she writes are all slow. she is good no doubt about that but not compared to Justina,
when the likes of Nene, Sylvia and Saidat were evicted that was when i knew the whole show was a scam. but its all good.
so what happens to the rest? is their any consolation prize for them? star quest paid the contestants west african idols did the same. we have not heard anything form nokia first chance.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by denex: 9:30pm On Aug 06, 2007
@salsera

DUDU Tetsola is not = LEMAR
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by suze(f): 10:10am On Aug 07, 2007
dongee:

i must say, i am highly dissapointed, really. its so obvious that there was foul play. if for anything their last perfomance was a testimony that justina is a better singer . like i said from the very beginning, christine has a talent for writing music and not singing. its only clear if u watched the owambe, show were they all performed highlife. an also the love songs they sang. the better singers were all evicted. i think the organisers knew that if she is made the winner they wont have to so spend much considering the following.
1. she is a british citizen, so it will be very easy getting her to the uk.
2. they wont have to pay a song writer because she will be able to write her own songs. but then she wont be versatile because all the songs she writes are all slow. she is good no doubt about that but not compared to Justina,
when the likes of Nene, Sylvia and Saidat were evicted that was when i knew the whole
show was a scam. but its all good.
so what happens to the rest? is their any consolation prize for them? star quest paid the contestants west african idols did the same. we have not heard anything form nokia first chance.

As they said before,the winner was chosen not based on votes alone, but also on the choice of the record label after listening to their songs.The organisers probably think, christines records will sell beter.Justine is obviously a better performer,she can dance and all.But if you just pick christines album and listen to it and also pick justines album and listen to it without watching them perform.You'll definitely prefer christine's songs because they are better composed and the tunes are sweeter.And as you said,they wont have to spend money on writing songs for her. The organisers feel its easier to teach christine how to dance and be a better performer than to teach justine to write sweet songs.

And for the song justine performed on that final day,christine has her own version which is also very good.Its just that chistine doesn't know how to dance and perform like justine. All they did was to give them sound tracks and ask them to form tunes and lyrics to go with the soound track.

And who knows, its possible christine won by votes! You know people use mouth to vote in Nigeria.They just assume justine will win without them voting and again how many people watch nokia first chance like that.Is that not what happened to jodi in idols? Christines parents were behind her and they were probably canvassing for votes and I heard shes quite popular in her school too.Do you know hiw many people voted for christine not with mouth but actually picked their phones and voted

But thank God they gave both of them record deals because they are both good in their different ways. But there just has to be one winner. Though i felt justine needed the money more than christine
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by suze(f): 10:15am On Aug 07, 2007
Configur:

bleeped up show.

yinka davies is always bitchy,wetin she sabi sing sef.if she's good she for don collect al least KORA.olodo buruku.mumu

At least she put some life into the show. At least she was not as bad as Dede in idols.In every music competition, there's always someone like that 2 put life into the show and most of them might not even be musicians at all.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by trendy(f): 1:21pm On Aug 07, 2007
Christine deserved to win
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by ronnieslimz(f): 12:07am On Aug 08, 2007
Word!! @ dongee

gawd!! i was extremely dissappointed on getting 2knw dat christine won, oh!justine. . y? dis is really painful,i neva expectd dis. . im so sad¿
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by IsisNaira: 6:36am On Aug 08, 2007
I am very upset that Christine won and also think that Justina has been cheated.

I know one of the contestants who has been evicted earlier from the show and she told me that Christine seemed to enjoy special treatment all through the show. While all contestants were allowed to talk to their families once every two weeks or so, Christine's father was allowed to call her almost every day and also seemed to talk regularly with the management of First Chance. There seems to be a special connection between Christine's family and the Nokia First Chance organizers and several of the contestants felt after a while that from the beginning it was clear that Christine would win and that the other contestants were basically "used" to promote her popularity.

I am sad to realize that this seems to be just another typical Naija story where talented people like Justina are screwed by less talented people who have the right connection and money.
Re: Nokia 'First Chance' Show by Dimeji78: 6:49am On Aug 08, 2007
Wow, Isis - this sounds frightning!
I am very sad to read this and feel really sorry for Justina who deserved better than this.

I saw the final last week and must say that Justina has so much more of every ingredient that a star needs than Christine - to me, Justina has the "X-Factor" while Christine is completely lacking it. I find Christine simply boring on stage and all the song writing skills she undoubtedly has will not turn her into a star.

Justina is beautiful, sexy and mesmerizing on stage and from my point of view it would be ridiculous if the sole reason for not chosing her as the winner of Nokia First Chance are her less developed song-writing skills - what is all this talk about a record deal of 1 million UK Pounds worth if these guys are not willing to invest in a proper song writer

After all this, I hope that the offer of a record deal to Justina is real and Jazz Black did not just state it on TV because he felt ashamed and wanted to appease the audience as most of the people present were clearly unhappy with the choice of the winner.

I really hope that these guys will not continue cheating on Justina and give her the chance she really deserves.

Anyway, they better play fair on her if they are planning any future edition of First Chance and don't want to lose the last bit of credibility that still remains.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Happened To 50 Cent?! / UNAVAILABLE - Davido Ft. Musa Keys (Official Audio) / VIDEO: Kiss Daniel – Mama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.