Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,345 members, 7,971,215 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 05:34 AM

I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? (7319 Views)

Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job / Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. / Job Satisfaction Or The Pay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 9:52am On May 20, 2010
@poster come to think of it, 90k is so little compared to 250k. Those saying you should accept the pay cut won't ever think of such if they're in ur shoes. You've been liveing ur life with 250k it'll be very defficult to adjust ur life to 90k per month. ur wify is in her third yr in unn as u stated, it's just 1yr left for her to finish studies and come join u in lagos. IF YOU DROP THE JOB IN LAGOS FOR ENUGU, I THINK IT WILL BE THE GREATEST MISTAKE OF THY LIFE. @AFROPRINCE, DON'T BE DECIEVE BY DEVILISH WRITE UPS. In a nutshell remain in lagos and wait for just 1yr, for ur woman to finish her studies and come join u and i'm very certain that with my advice u and thy family will surely live happily thereafter.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 9:53am On May 20, 2010
@poster come to think of it, 90k is so little compared to 250k. Those saying you should accept the pay cut won't ever think of such if they're in ur shoes. You've been liveing ur life with 250k it'll be very defficult to adjust ur life to 90k per month. ur wify is in her third yr in unn as u stated, it's just 1yr left for her to finish studies and come join u in lagos. IF YOU DROP THE JOB IN LAGOS FOR ENUGU, I THINK IT WILL BE THE GREATEST MISTAKE OF THY LIFE. @AFROPRINCE, DON'T BE DECIEVE BY DEVILISH WRITE UPS. In a nutshell remain in lagos and wait for just 1yr, for ur woman to finish her studies and come join u and i'm very certain that with my advice u and thy family will surely live happily thereafter.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 9:53am On May 20, 2010
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 9:56am On May 20, 2010
hmmmm 4post with thesames write ups. NETWORK ERROR!!!
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by harmeenut: 10:04am On May 20, 2010
@Poster; I must honesly tell you that on nairaland esp. on your post, i have seen matured responses, all of your choices cannot be outside all of the options given to you on this thread. Honestly, am grateful on his behalf for the honesty and maturity in responding. Keep it up guys, i was almost giving up on the responses we get from NL

Believe me; U took the words from my heart. I was almost giving up on requesting fro advice on any issue on NL because of the ways some Nlaniders make mockery of your situation. I can tell you that 90% of those reading this thread including me & my husby are in this kain situation and have been able to reflect on the responses so far to make a better decision

he reason why most of us ask questions like this or seek advice is because of "the fear of the unknown"

That's just it. U may think it's going to turn out in one way only for you to see the other side
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by descharmed(f): 10:06am On May 20, 2010
hmn, tough choice well from my own point of view and from what i have seen. I think you should weigh your options well, my Dad has been complaining about his job from when i can remember, yeah he has changed jobs and earns more than enough. But he is still working and complaining on the long run he is happy because we are all doing well, and recently he had to help mi and ma sis out of a situation and that was becos he endured and had the means to do such.Education does not come cheap these days, even the job market is nothing to write home about, right now everyone wants to be entrepreneur, we all have ideas but where are the funds. I cant say i know how u feel but hang in there, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Csc42554: 10:25am On May 20, 2010
Afroprince see dont let me deceive you my advice for you is that if you know your wife's mind on whether to come and stay with u after graduating from school if she will be ok in lagos then why not holdon for just one more year after her education then she will relocate to lagos then you will live together in lagos as one family, as simple as that , dont forget that money is more important in this life most especially in Nigeria, 'MONEY MAKE THE WORLD GOES ROUND', i hope i making sense to you
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Ad4(m): 10:29am On May 20, 2010
Follow the people with the majority of votes. For me the option is to plan with your wife, if possible, move your family to Lagos and seek for a radio job in Lagos. As a poster said, Enugu is a slow place and will surely slow you down. Stay in Lagos where you will be challenged and close to information and more opportunities. We are all looking for more mony cos mony is like a fuel in the car,if you don't have it your dreams might be delayed.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 10:37am On May 20, 2010
hmmmm quiet thread, nice and educative posts, no abusive words so far. Such threads as this is hard to come by in Nland. KEEP MORE PROFITABLE ADVICE ROLLING FOLKS.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by larimo(m): 10:39am On May 20, 2010
@ poster, when you read the split opinions of everyone (48% to 52 % according to a poster), you would agree that you need to seriously pray about it (am a christian and thats the way I choose to view this issue). major life decisions like this one needs to be addressed properly. many have spoken from their own experiences or experiences of others or what they MIGHT do but that isnt enough. you cannot even see tomorrow.

its complicated cos you need to please above all God, then family and self in varying proportions. You need to sit your wife down and hear her opinions CLEARLY too. If she accepts the new 90k lifestyle + its consequences, you need to know. Career is good and can be godly but it shouldnt come before family (my opinion). Families today are suffering because parents are too busy to be around children. The ages of your children also matter. Children in formative to teenage years need their parents presence a lot.

In short, as long as you have time to pray about it (even if you dont have that much time sef), start now.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by larimo(m): 10:40am On May 20, 2010
Henry46:

hmmmm quiet thread, nice and educative posts, no abusive words so far. Such threads as this is hard to come by in Nland. KEEP MORE PROFITABLE ADVICE ROLLING FOLKS.
excellent observation grin grin wink smiley
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by DejiYesufu(m): 11:06am On May 20, 2010
Thanks everyone for your contribution. My family and I are battling with a similar decision to make; your contributions have been helpful. wink
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by mostojr: 11:14am On May 20, 2010
My guy, 90k in the east = about 200k in Lagos. My sister earns about 75k in the east and I still have to borrow money from her sometimes because my monthly 110k is never enough for me.
My advice, go home and build a family with the 90k. With time you'll grow and very soon you'll be happy you took this decision.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by ud4u: 11:36am On May 20, 2010
The gap in the salary is damn too much and staying apart from your family is another area of concentration but come to think of it, can't your family move down to Lagos? well it all depends on the weight of your wifes salary or income over there.

Nevetheless, think well and make the right choice. Good luck
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by saintchux(m): 11:42am On May 20, 2010
@topic

Job satisfaction is one thing, then the pay is another thing. While I do the job make as much as I can and quit to something more satisfying or should i stick to something I love and make less pay. The decision is your.

Why are you in a Job? Simple!!! to make a living. What will you use to make the living - money of course!, i
Do you want to make money or get satisfied working?? Your choice depend on you.

On the pay of 200K + and 90+. I bet you that someone collecting 90K in Enugu may save more than someone collecting 200K in Lagos. The transport cost in lagos, House rent etc compared to Enugu. It is cheap to live in Enugu. No traffic problem, Good network of road etc.

I can go to Enugu and collect 90K, if I have the same proposal like yours, no kidding!!! t is not how much you earn that matters, it is how much you can save after deductions.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by hackney(m): 11:46am On May 20, 2010
For me ,good remuneration makes the job satisfactory as my job is not a hobby that i must enjoy.
period.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by segzicres(m): 11:49am On May 20, 2010
guy you better bring your family to lagos and settle here. for you to hold up a job now your like a superman. forget about the joy in doing some'in you love for now, when you have enough you can switch.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Basildon1(m): 12:02pm On May 20, 2010
As for me,i can never go backwards, i advise to keep looking for better opportunities, everybody loves to say stuff they will never do, after how many years experience,u want to start earning less than 100K a month!!

U can only hustle now that you are young, the time or oppurtunity will come when you can start choosing locations n things!!
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by agabaI23(m): 12:05pm On May 20, 2010
Brother Poster,

Many people have said many good things, chaircover et al.

let me add this if no one has added it.

Your wife is in school and I am sure she will need some space and some time to study. Your ocassional presence is more like what she needs now.
She can visit during the holidays with your child.

When she graduates, let her relocate to Lagos. Get her a job too in Lagos.

DO NOT give up your 250K job.
Romance dey die when money dries.
It is easier to manage a lower salary when you have not tasted a higher one. And as things are in nigeria, 90k no fit do nothing for a bachelor.
Adighi eji ihe a na-agba na nti agba n'anya.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Dozzy3(m): 12:31pm On May 20, 2010
@ poster, I feel your pain.Lagos is hectic but you will be surprised to know i get motivated when i see little kids getting picked up by their school buses @ 5.30am!
Family comes first to me though, Money is good the key word here is contentment.
Read up some good advice like agada123s,but everything generally comes down to what your wife thinks.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by hackney(m): 12:40pm On May 20, 2010
Agaba Well said .
onye oma.
grin
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 20, 2010
Which option makes it possible to accumilate the largest savings. You need wealth accumulation for current and future family comfort, security especiall when you have children
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by jaybee3(m): 1:31pm On May 20, 2010
A country where u have little or no help from the government then i'd def go for renumeration.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 1:33pm On May 20, 2010
By the way, you didn't say what kind of figures the 6 month salary review could present and if a raise is guaranteed after the first 6 months only or every 6 months?
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Flakky26(f): 1:44pm On May 20, 2010
@  Poster,
                I quite understand your dilemma bro, but the truth  of the matter is that you alone have the final say to your predicament,needless to say that others cannot give useful advise (like the bible says that in the midst of counsels there is safety), But be it as it may,I'd like to say that it is rather advisable to take your time,before you take any hasty decision that you will later regret taking.Like some suggested,that you talk to your wife and hear her opinion,am positive that she'd have something to say.You both need to arrive at a compromise,knowing that any decision taken will affect her as well as the entire family,and it might take awhile before amends can be made.
                   For now, stick to your Lagos job and see how it goes,so that you can have ample time to think and reflect on what next to do.Sincerely,it isn't easy living separately from your family but just see it as a phase which will soon pass, be positive about the phase knowing full well that it is for a purpose which is to support and sustain your family. I credence that it is a worth while sacrifice,but always make sure that you create time to pay them some visit.
               Above all ask God to lead and guide all your decisions, He would answer.I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST,
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 20, 2010
@ Post
Agaba 123 just hit the nail on the head! Your job is not hobby that you must enjoy,
With a salary of 250k per month you can get relatively good+affordable accommodation somewhere in surulere (hence trafiic challeneged would be curbed + early morning rise)assuming your office is in V.I and you live faraway say Egbeda/Okomaiko which warrants u to leave your house as early as 4:30am.

Make all the money you need to make now as a young man, have a timeline set apart for yourself and then seek job satisfaction later.Your young wife in school needs money as well to buy handouts,schools fees,wardrope,sort lecturers grin lol ,write her final yr project etc, Think hard and consult your God at the end!
Best of luck
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by attaboy(m): 2:20pm On May 20, 2010
NEVER settle for Less, Its not about the Money, But some people are Working in radio stations and living in Ikoyi in Lagos cos they can afford it with the pay they are earning.

the problem most people have is Knowing what they want to do and that you have overcome already.

My Advise: Stay in Lagos, make it a Goal to Do that thing you Love earning Higher than you are Earning Now and dont deviate or Compromise your Goal or Standards For sentiments. If you can earn 90k in Enugu, you can definitely Earn More in Lagos.

PUSH: Pray Unitl Something Happens.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Gifo(m): 2:23pm On May 20, 2010
My brother, keep the job with the greater remuneration.

You know nothing is permanent is this country, and you need the money to secure yourself and your family. After you've done that, then you can think of job satisfaction.

The hustle of Lagos you can adjust to, but work on how you can quickly start living together with your family. Your wife would be a graduate soon and a bigger family may come along, the need for money will increase and if you can't meet up you would be frustrated. By that time job satisfaction will no longer be the issue!

So, secure yourself financially/economically et c. then seek job satisfaction afterwards. Or better still learn to 'love' what you're doing and excel as much as you can now.
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by Rastamann: 2:38pm On May 20, 2010
Job Satisfaction is better o. I do not imagine one to get a very fat salary and not being happy with what you are doing, except where you don't have an option,
Re: I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? by diehard1: 2:47pm On May 20, 2010
Bros job satisfaction is good but in the present day naija, it will not pay your bills. You have been earning 250k and you want to go down to 90k? If you can adjust, fine, but it is not easy. Try and hang on for a while and look for salary close to what you are earning now in Enugu, then you can relocate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Verify Your Alipay Account For Non Chinese / Stanbic-IBTC Bank On A Sacking Spree! / I Prefer Handwork To "Going To School"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.